Glee Recap: Rebels With All Their Flaws

Tuesday night’s 90-minute episode of Glee tackled more social issues, psychological disorders, and physical hangups than your average network drama would touch in an entire season. But that’s the beauty (and the frustration) of Ryan Murphy’s hyperactive teenage dramedy: It throws the entire pot of boiling plot-sta against the wall in the belief that most of it will stick, and eventually wind up as part of a delicious and filling (if not entirely healthy) meal.

Anyhow, if you happened to blasphemously spend your Tuesday doing something other than watching “Born This Way,” allow me to give you a rapid-fire account of the major points — in the classic “here’s what you missed on Glee” format: While rehearsing dance moves for Nationals, Finn broke Rachel’s nose — not on purpose! — and Quinn agreed to guide her one-time rival through the process of getting a nose job. Kurt staged something called a “Barbra-vention” flash mob to stop the rhinoplasty insanity, then transferred back to McKinley after Karofsky renounced his abusive ways by forming an anti-bullying club called the Bullywhips with his new fake girlfriend Santana. Santana, for her part, threatened to tell the school about Karofsky’s secret gay desires if he didn’t play his part in her plot to bring Kurt back to McKinley, help New Directions win Nationals, win her classmates’ hearts and minds, and ultimately land the title of prom queen. Quinn and Lauren wanted the tiara, too, but declared a truce after their early campaigning — including the revelation that Quinn had been oveweight, and the not-so-proud owner of a much bigger nose, back in middle school — got meaner than a Sue Sylvester insult. And finally, Will pushed Emma to get help for her OCD. Then all the kids from New Directions took ownership of their insecurities and danced it out to Lady Gaga. And that’s what you missed on Glee.

[Whew.]

Because Glee moves at Tasmanian Devil speed, more stuff happened, too, but I’m pleased to report that none of it came careening out of left field or ended up feeling less than germane to any particular character’s story arc. In fact, since you’ve now read enough plot points to hold your own in any Glee-centric party conversations this weekend, let’s run through a list of the major ailments, insecurities, and societal issues our characters confronted this week.

Teenage Rhinoplasty
How disturbing was that scene in Rachel’s doctor’s office, where he declared that a nose job is “a rite of passage for Jewish girls”? I know at this point in the Glee-verse, we still haven’t seen a glimpse of Rachel’s fathers, but I found it hard to believe they’d let their high-school-aged daughter fly solo during a consult for a major cosmetic surgery procedure. (Yes, folks, it’s time to bring on the gay dads!) I did like, however, the way the New Directions kids pointed out that in high school, even the slightest insecurities can get magnified through the harsh prism of peer judgment. Cue Santana wondering aloud if Rachel needed her beak “to crack hard seeds.” I also liked how Finn couldn’t help but blurt, “Please don’t do this! You’re beautiful!” to his ex-girlfriend, right in front of his current one. Whoops.

Speaking of that current girlfriend, we discovered that Quinn actually did go through with rhinoplasty (and a name change) back in middle school — before her transfer to McKinley. Lauren leaked this intel in humiliating billboard size, along with Quinn’s former nickname “Lucy Caboosey” (shades of Never Been Kissed‘s Josie Grossie, anyone?). Much as I can’t understand why so many of Glee‘s bright young female characters are obsessed with the prom-queen title, I spend more time pondering why Quinn and Rachel don’t give the boot to Finn and enjoy the (relative) ease of being single for a while. On Tuesday, though, Finn had an especially adorable moment with Quinn, explaining the “Lucy Caboosie” snapshot in his wallet thusly: “That’s my girlfriend. I used to have another photo of her but I like this one better…. I think this is the first one where you can really see her.”

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
After challenging his kids to put their biggest insecurities on a t-shirt, Will discovered his long-standing crush, Emma Pillsbury, had copped out by going with “Ginger.”: “People say that I smell like copper, I can get a sunburn indoors at night, and according to recent legend, I have no soul,” said our neat-freak guidance counselor. But after another session of polishing grapes while wearing latex gloves (yes, as bad as it sounds), Will argued it was time for Emma to get help with her OCD. Cue Emma spending 48 out of her 50 minutes at therapist Kathleen Quinlan’s office by sanitizing her chair. But, hey, at least she’s started taking SSRIs to conquer her crippling panic attacks. As for Will, I was disappointed he went with a “butt chin” logo, as opposed to “egotistical douchebag” or “dreadful grammar.” Was dude serious with this sentence? “I know how I’m gonna get the kids to accept what their differences are — by using their two favorite teachers: Me and Gaga.” Me and Gaga? Me and Gaga? Oh, Schue, how you live to disappoint.

Bullying
Yeah, he was forced into starting “Bullywhips” by Santana, but thanks to Max Adler’s surprisingly nuanced performance, I thought there was some definite oomph behind Karofsky’s words when he stood up in front of New Directions and announced how sorry he was for his abusive behavior toward Kurt. “I’m really ashamed of who I am and what I did.” Yeah, it may have been a little heavy-handed for him to discuss YouTube videos about how bullying leads to teen suicide, but given the gravity of the subject matter, I’m okay with a tiny PSA thrown into the dialogue.

Outing
Does anyone else get totally giddy when Santana gleans characters’ innermost secrets just through the power of keen observation? The teenage Mentalist figured out Karofsky’s attraction to guys when he lingered a little too long ogling Sam’s “jeans” at the water fountain. “I’m a closeted lesbian and a judgmental bitch, which means one thing,” Santana smiled. “I have awesome gaydar.” The complex play of emotions in Karofsky’s eyes when Santana simultaneously came out to him, threatened to out him, predicted his sad future as a closeted state senator or deacon, and offered him a quick-fix solution by pretending to be his beard, was tremendous. (Again, as a character who started out as a human battering ram, Adler is bringing a terrific amount of depth to Karofsky.)

Kurt, however, told Karofsky his secret was safe with him, even though he was both repulsed and impressed by the scheming of “the Latina Eve Harrington.” Again, I found it a little unrealistic that Kurt would demand Karofsky launch a PFLAG chapter as well as chair the Bullywhips, but if Google search results for PFLAG (or certain Anne Baxter characters) are on the rise this morning, then I’ll quit my kvetching right now.

Oh, and before we get to grading this week’s musical performances, I’ve got to give props to Naya Rivera for filling the hilarity vaccuum created by the total absence of Jane Lynch. (I remember the days when a Sue-free episode made me depressed, but last night, I hardly noticed she was missing until the previews rolled for next week’s show.) “The only straight I am is straight-up bitch,” said the girl who’s “not ready to start eating jicama or get a flat-top yet,” but there was real pain in her eyes at the end of the telecast, as she sat there in her “Lebanese” t-shirt (a gift from awesome Brittany) and played observer to New Directions’ moment of empowerment.

And now, onto the “Born This Way” set list:

“Unpretty”/”I Feel Pretty,” Rachel and Quinn | A vocally and visually stunning set piece for the unlikeliest of duet partners. I particularly liked that brief flash of Quinn’s fluorescent-lit profile to show the not-so-glamorous underbelly of a young girl going under the surgeon’s knife for non-medical reasons. Musical grade: A Relevance to the plot: A

“I Gotta Be Me,” Finn (and Mike Chang) | The jazz band arrangement and the Mike-teaches-Finn-some-moves choreography was cute, I guess, but it’s not a good sign that I spent half the number focusing on Mike’s matching green t-shirt and shoe laces. Also, in an episode about confronting one’s greatest teenage insecurities, I wonder if there might have been a better choice for a solo than the popular football player with the cheerleader girlfriend lamenting his inability to dance. Musical grade: B- Relevance to the plot: C

“Somewhere Only We Know” Blaine and the Warblers | I’d have been more moved by the Warblers’ farewell to Blaine Kurt if they weren’t just a collection of hastily sketched chalk outlines. Still, I can’t be too mad at another pretty song sung well by Darren Criss. Musical grade: B Relevance to the plot: B

“As If We Never Said Goodbye,” Kurt | I feel like we haven’t had too many strong musical moments from Kurt this season, but this number, which pushed Chris Colfer’s falsetto to impressive heights, went a long way to erase the deficit. That shot of Kurt from behind, with his New Directions pals getting misty in front of him, was a glorious touch. Musical grade: A Relevance to the plot: A

“Barbra Streisand,” Kurt & Flashmob | Okay, so the kids were just lipsynching to Duck Sauce’s catchy dance track, but who doesn’t love some good clean flashmob fun? Side note: Anyone else find themselves focusing on that, um, charismatic fella in the maroon hoodie and yellow t-shirt who got a quick dance solo and stood behind Rachel on the escalator? Make this guy a McKinley regular, stat! “Musical” grade: B+ Relevance to the plot: B-

“Born This Way,” New Directions | It was nice to see and hear Tina, Mercedes and Kurt on lead vocals — instead of, say, Blaine, Rachel, and Mr. Schue. And this song was born to get the Glee treatment, no? I just wish they’d set Brittany free to get her boogie on. Musical grade: A- Relevance to the plot: A-

What did you think of this week’s Glee? Which story arcs were you loving? Which ones did you have problems with? Sound off in the comments, and for all my TV recaps (including one coming later this morning on the premiere of The Voice), follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

1. asdfads says:

I didn’t like the episode!!

• AlistairCrane says:

Me neither. This season has been way more “miss” than “hit” for me.

• Yo says:

Me, neither. Glee needs to decide what it is going to be when it grows up. It is almost a good show, but not quite.

• Kate says:

I wasnt a fan either, i miss the good musical numbers, i miss the writing, i miss that if your not a gay character you still ha a decent storyline, i miss the real high school ness of it, I miss the adults acting like the kids, I miss the cherrios, I miss Broadway stars as guest stars, I miss the days when autotuning was not done to the max, I miss when there was no piano in the quad, I MISS SEASON 1!

• Lisa says:

ITA! I think you said it all!
        But. Although, I did not care for this episode in general, I did like the mash-up with Quinn and Rachel and anytime you put Kurt/Tina/Mercedes together=Awesomeness!

• Lizabeth says:

I didn’t like it either. I agree with Kate about season 1. I miss the silly, light-heartedness of the show. It was so colorful and fun. Now those moments seem few and far between. I will admit (thanks to the anonymity of this site!) That I teared up when Blaine and The Warblers started singing to Kurt (however, I also cried the first couple of times the judges turned their chairs around on The Voice. I was an emotional wreck last night!). Also, I really wish Kurt would hook Mercedes up with one of those super-cute Warblers! There are some dolls at Dalton Academy and I want Mercedes to get a good storyline. Not like that awful diva dreck they put her through last week.

• Kate from Canada says:

Sorry you didn’t like it. I did. I always do like this show, which is why I watch it and read about it. If I didn’t like it, I wouldn’t do either. You should give that a try sometime.

• Marissa says:

So Kate from Canada – essentially what you’re saying is that unless I like everything about the episode, I shouldn’t comment on it. So next week if I like the episode I should come on here and rave about it, but if I don’t like it I should just stay away from the recap completely. That’s logical.

2. Jo says:

I think this is the first episode this season i’ve enjoyed all the songs, and thought they were actually relevant to the plot. To me, it made up for the terrible episode that they gave us last week which was basically full of scraps of storylines. I adored Kurt and Rachel’s friendship, and Santana was amazing.

Still dont like Will. Really, which teacher just sits there whilst someone is being mean to their fellow classmates?

• Hibby says:

Lots of teachers did when and where I went to school. Sat back and did or said nothing. Of course, I was being bullied for being gay, so I guess they didn’t think it was important enough to get involved.

• Hibby says:

Sorry I meant was NOT being bullied for being gay.

• Kat says:

Why do people take a simple observation and question, and answer it with a homophobic response? People like you make me sick. If you should have just stayed with the first sentence of that reply, it would have been good enough. But no, your homophobic ways have to step into play. Get a life, stay away from the innocent comments and just find something else to amuse your small mind.

• Ed says:

Geez, take a pill or get more sleep! There was nothing homophobic about anything Hibby wrote.

• Michael says:

No, it wasn’t homophobic. It was just stupid.

90% of gay teens have been bullied in the last year. No bullying should be tolerated for any reason, but there is a reason that the focus on bullying lately has been focused on GLBT kids.

• the girl says:

Actually I feel like what Hibby says makes perfect sense. I was bullied also but it was for wearing glasses and it appeared that most of the teachers didn’t find that to be very serious so they ignored it. However there were several gay young men in my high school who were teased and the school responded to it with force. I think teachers and administrators make a judgment call about what types of bullying are just kids being kids, and what types require a serious and disciplined response.

• Erin says:

I agree, i really enjoyed all the songs. This episode was great! I Loved it!

3. Sandy says:

It was an awesome episode I loved it.

4. Brandi says:

I think you meant the Warblers’ farewell to Kurt.

5. mawhi says:

This episode was Degrassi on crack.

6. Laura says:

Loved it!!! The song with Quinn and Rachel was beautiful. I rewatched several times.

7. Grammar Diva says:

Actually “me and Gaga” IS grammatically correct. It just sounds wrong because most people seem to be using “me” and “I” incorrectly. They’ll say “Me and Roger went to the store, ” instead of “Roger and I went to the store.” They’ll also say: “Mom cooked dinner for Roger and I” when it should be, “Mom cooked dinner for Roger and me.”

Will said, “I know how I’m gonna get the kids to accept what their differences are — by using their two favorite teachers: Me and Gaga.” Strip the sentence down and you get “I know how I’m gonna get the kids to accept what their differences are — by using me,” and you can see that it’s correct.

• Teresa says:

I really don’t think he (Michael Slezak) was commenting on the grammatical error of “me and gaga”, I think it was more to the point that Schue is getting a massive big head. I am really not enjoying Mr. Schue this year, his character has become whiny instead of inspiring. I really didn’t enjoy this episode very much this week. I do like the fact that we will see more of Kurt, I really missed him and his sarcasm.

• Jeff says:

It should have been Gaga and me, not Me and Gaga. One should always put the other first in a sentence.

• Annoula says:

While “Gaga and me” would have been grammatically correct, I think it was reversed for the sake of climax; Gaga was the more dramatic and impressive of the two, and therefore saved for last. Also, while I love nothing more than intelligent grammar choices, this is dialogue we’re talking about here, not a formal essay analyzing Jane Austen. Language is an organic thing, and writers make stylistic choices to match the situation and point made.

• Grammar Divo says:

Perhaps Michael was referring to the first part of the sentence “I know how I’m gonna get the kids to accept what their differences are”. There are two things wrong with the sentence, from a grammatical standpoint — first, “I’m gonna” is just, well, tacky; and second, “accept what their differences are” simply makes no sense. “Their differences” is the direct object of the sentence, so there is no reason to tack the verb “to be” onto the end of the sentence. The way Will phrased the sentence, it leaves a dangling “to be” verb with no object. Placing the “what” in front of the “their differences” doesn’t solve the issue — if you re-write that sentence, it becomes “I know how I’m gonna get the kids to accept their differences are what”, which obviously makes no sense. The sentence, properly constructed, should be “I know how I’m going to get the kids to accept their differences”, or, perhaps, if you really want to further describe the differences, you could say, “I know how I’m going to get the kids to accept that their differences are okay/empowering/acceptable [chose your adjective].”

It may be, as stated in another comment, that Michael’s calling out of the phrase “Me and Gaga” was a reference to Will’s egotistical douchebaggery.

• Grammarian says:

I see where you’re coming from, but technically, what you’ve said is not the whole story. The sentence actually doen’t have a direct object. If you were to diagram the whole thing, which I did, because I’m a tool, the second part of the sentence, “how I’m gonna …” is actually an adverb phrase modifying the simple predicate, “know.” Within that, you have a nested independent clause, with “I’m” being the subject and the auxiliary verb “going (gonna)” being the simple predicate. That clause, in turn, does not have a direct object, but rather a verb phrase with a nested infinitive phrase inside (“to get the kids …”) acting as the object. Of course, none of this speaks to the fact that the “are” is left hanging at the end of the subject, sans object. Still, the current correct usage lamentably now allows for dangling infinitives, due to common spoken usage. The same thing happened a few years ago, when the split infinitive spontaneously became de rigeur proper usage. That said, the entire sentence is a mess of implicit parentheticals and awkward syntax. In that sense, it’s pretty much true to life; just take a listen to the kids I teach.

• kray says:

This post is awesome. I recently had a conversation with a coworker who tried to play Mab Libs with her middle-school aged children. Unfortunately, the children’s response to the game was “What is a noun?” Evidently, kids in Florida public school are no longer learning the parts of a sentence. Adverbs, predicates, infinitives, are all gibberish to a whole generation.

• CraigJ says:

Are you sure it’s not just your coworkers child who doesn’t know what a noun is? How old is he. I know for a fact the are still teaching what a noun is in the Florida public school system. They may not make you memorize every adverb like my English teacher did (and I still know them years later) and yes there are many problems with public schools and texting is going to be the worst thing to ever happen to the English language (or any language for that matter) people are using text speak now during their regular conversations. LOL

• CraigJ says:

Grammar police give it up. This is a tv show not every character is going to speak with proper grammar. If everyone spoke in the same way conversations would be so boring example-Brittany. The grammar police must have issued citations for her every time she speaks and you know what? She’s hilarious. Imagine Brit speaking in proper English. BORING!!! Wil isn’t an English teacher–not every teacher speaks with perfect English. Give it up. It’s obvious why he said Me and Gaga to most of the audience.

• Ed says:

Grammatically, it should have been “Gaga and me” rather than “me and Gaga” but it was acceptable because he wanted to keep Gaga as the ‘surprise’ element.

You’re exactly right about the other grammar errors. “Between Finn and I” and similar errors are standard fodder on Glee.

• Samantha says:

While I agree that Mr. Shue should probably be aware of the correct grammar of his sentances, what high school student do you know who speaks in perfect grammar all the time? “Between Finn and I” doesn’t sound unnatural to me, and I think it would be more jarring if they all spoke in perfect grammar at the cost of making the scenes flow…
        Just my two cents.

• Samantha says:

sentences*
          That’s slightly embarassing… At least I wasn’t talking about spelling.

• Ed says:

Well, nobody speaks grammatically correctly all the time, but I think it’s mostly because we have become so lax about it (especially in the media) that nobody really knows what’s right anymore. Schools don’t help, either. I’ve heard teachers say that it’s more important that the kids say/write something than to worry about how correctly it’s said. I agree with that to a point, but I feel that language is a precision tool that we use to explain what’s going on inside of our heads. If we can’t use it effectively then we can’t be really understood.

I don’t think it would kill anyone to have the characters on a TV show use I/me correctly. Plenty of people do. It might encourage a few more…

• Ing says:

Can I just say that it’s not WILL who is grammatically incorrect?! It’s the damn writers who wrote the script! He’s prolly just saying what was written for him. And if he did just adlib that part, say something that is close enough to what the script said, it is how people speak these days, which granted, doesn’t make it right, but then it is the director and editor for letting it into the take. Don’t blame the character. Blame the writer.

• Ed says:

I basically agree, but if the actors were to point it out or correct it on their own (I sure would!) maybe the writers/editors would be more careful.
        I am not advocating wooden, bookish dialog where the writer does backflips to avoid dangling participles and ending sentences with prepositions. It would just be nice to hear correct pronouns in the language we all consider to be our native tongue.

• chistosa says:

It was grammatically correct. Stylistically it would have read better as Gaga and me. But me is the correct pronoun because me is the objective case following the gerund using. Using me and Gaga is absolutely correct.

• GrandmaGlee says:

Enough with the Grammar!!!!!
          Send an email to Ryan Murphy & take-up the Me/Gaga debate with him.

Mike Slezak just asked us how we liked this week’s episode.

I loved it!!! Especially loved how Chris Colfer sang “As If We Never Said Goodbye” with such emotion. As Mr. Slezak mentioned, Kurt left the halls of McKinley as a frightened child, & returned as a young man who had reclaimed his power from Karofsky. And that song (another smash hit from Sir Webber) was the perfect expression of his journey. Plus, listening to Chris Colfer’s voice from the 1st. Season of Glee (I have all CDs from both seasons) & comparing it to this week’s episode, you can hear a deeper timbre & maturity. It’s been like watching one of my grandchildren grow up before my eyes. This child is gonna go far! (Please forgive my faux pas of saying “gonna” instead of “going to”… lol)

8. Karen says:

I LOVED this episode. One of the best one Glee has ever had. Instant re-watch.
    Finally getting Kurt back at McKinley with the biggest confidence ever, was the best part of the episode for me.
    I think the dancer Mr. Slezak is talking about was on SYTYCD once?!

9. Annehedonia says:

Great observations & critique!
    -‘boiling plot-sta’ ;~)
    – weird – I noticed the same matching green t and shoelaces thang…
    – Michael, I FLOVE you, but I believe ‘Me & GaGa’ is correct. Me is the objective form, as opposed to I. Remove GaGa from the equation, and you’ll see it’s correct. That’s the test. (Ya, I know it sounds funky!) Sorry about the grammar police – ex-teacher…

10. Angel says:

Sorry it was hard to take Karofsky seriously when he was “apologizing” seeing as how Santana was sitting there mouthing the words along with him. It was all BS. He doesn’t feel bad for what he did.

I wish that was the last we had seen of Blaine, soo tired of that character and how he has to sing in every episode he’s in. Sigh. I guess I should be grateful he only had one song and not three or four?

LOVED Kurt being back with his family. Finally it felt like an episode of the Glee I loved. His solo was mesmerizing. Dalton let him “jenga jenga” in the background, it’s their loss. He also looked smokin’ hot in Born This Way. So much for those “gas pains” huh??

• Angel says:

I forgot to say how much I HATED Will in this episode. He is such a horrible character! He’s a terrible teacher, he puts down his students (look at how he treated Brittany last week) and the way he treats Emma is revolting. He’s a bully.

• Angel's missing brain says:

LOL! He got Emma help and made her see how serious her problem is! That’s not a bully! That’s a real friend. And by all accounts she really appreciated it.

Santana continues to be the real bully in this show. The way she treats everyone in the club is disgusting.

Angel its time for you to open your eyes and ears.

• Kat says:

I agree with Angel, tbh. I used to like Will, in the first 13 episodes, but since then hes been a right douche. I hate how he sits there and lets the kids bully each other, how he has no character growth other than being a jerk, and though I admit he did help Emma, he could have been nicer about it.

11. jrs says:

Nice job, Glee! Finally, some music I liked again…I don’t think I’ve downloaded any tunes for weeks, but there were a couple last night I definitely will. Love, love, love Santana.

12. Alison says:

Major props to Glee for handling Emma’s OCD/anxiety treatment in a realistic manner. I take an SSRI to help me function normally, and it’s refreshing to see a character on a hit network show dealing with mental health treatment. Kathleen Quinlan was absolutely sublime as Emma’s therapist.

13. Joann says:

I just LOVED this episode!!! I am so glad Kurt is back in with the rest of the gang. His “As If We Never Said Goodbye” is one of my favorite songs from “Sunset Boulevard” and it never sounded so good — or so appropriate. Also Quinn and Rachel’s duet was amazing. They need to work together more. Altogether it was one of my favorite episodes — along with the first GaGa last season and the Brittany episode this season.

14. Mike's common sense says:

How is helping the kids accept their own imperfections make Will’douche bag’, Mike? Are you THAT delusional?

Obviously you’re not watching the same show as I and the rest of the fandom is because Will IS a great teacher. Look at how much the kids appreciate and love him. If he was such a rotten character as you think he really is, the club wouldn’t even exist because the kids would all have quit.

Once again you prove, without fail, how much truth you refuse to see. Must suck to be you, Mike.

15. Lilah says:

THANK GOODNESS THE WRITERS GAVE QUINN A STORYLINE!!! However, Lucy Caboosey? This poor fictional girl has been through the wringer. And not a very well tied-together one either. Maybe instead of the ridiculous, out of nowhere backstory they could have mentioned something about the stretch marks this girl has from giving birth last season…? Just a thought. Considering I’m 99.99% confident the writers forgot all about Quinn’s story from last season.

16. Chance says:

I LOVED The shirts the kids were wearing at the end. Mike wearing Cant Sing and Finn wearing Cant Dance made me laugh out loud.

I was really hoping Shue would have worn White Rapper, cause seriously, he’s TERRIBLE about breaking into white rap for no reason.

• JayK* says:

I also LOLed when I saw the tandem of Brit’s and Puck’s shirts.
      And White Rapper = brilliant

• Ed says:

100% agree, Brit’s and Puck’s shirts were awesome, and one of the best laughs for me was when Brittany handed Santana the Lebanese shirt.

I’ll watch this episode again.

17. JayK* says:

Glee. Was. Epic.
    The amount last week’s episode sucked is dwarfed by how much this one rocked. I was laughing, clapping, or crying when I wasn’t busy grinning like an idiot.
    List of rockage:
    – Santana’s scheming
    – “I’ve got to gay.”
    – Kurt’s hair
    – Flash mob! (Barbara Streisand!)
    – Blaine! Blaine singing! Blaine crying! Blaine hugging!
    – Kurt’s “As If We Never Said Goodbye”
    – The opening of Born This Way – Kurt was so freakin sexy in his “Likes Boys” tee.
    And the flash mob dancer you pointed out – wasn’t that Tony from a few seasons ago (S5 maybe?) on SYTYCD?

18. Carol says:

I’m disappointed that they used an easy out to get Kurt back into New Directions and the school. Nothing has really changed Karofsky, what happens after the prom. And if the prom is so important why aren’t there any Santana posters up there? Hopefully this isn’t a plotline resolution.

That being said, I love having Kurt back, I miss his clothes and his wit. The show hasn’t been the same since he left the group.

19. Rebeccapedia says:

Sorry but that whole Lauren and Puck attempt to destroy Quinn thing really soured what could have been the best Glee episode yet. How can that be the same Puck that’s sweet enough to start the flash-mob for Rachel?? (because it was Puck’s idea, he asked Kurt for help!) Thank CHEESUS I don’t ship Puck/Quinn because they really have no loyalty whatsoever to that pairing. The Rachel/Quinn stuff is dynamite, but they don’t ever go properly into it, I feel like they write more but then they cut large chunks out of it so we’re just left to go
    “Whaaaaa?” Like seriously, are they friends? Do they actually have a secret friendship we’re just not privy too? I really don’t understand, but then again, I’ve been wondering about this since episode 2 of this season, so props for the continuity!

The Quinn reveal was just plain lazy, an easy move for comedic effect that will quickly be forgotten. Quinn has so many issues that have been there all along, Beth, her relationship with her family, her interactions with Rachel, this just could have been done so much better. It’s strange that Dianna Agron is often presented in the media as central character, they stick her on display with Lea, Cory, Chris and Jane all the time, but when it comes to the show Quinn is really a very secondary character. It seems like she’s going to get development but she doesn’t, practically all of her story lines revolve around another character’s development. I suppose it’s just because she’s hot and publicly appealing, but it’s a waste of Agron’s talent, because she runs with the little bits she’s given and really makes me want to love a character that isn’t anywhere near as deep and developed as she has the potential to be. The piano scene from Original Song is so layered and so tragically sad, I really hope they don’t just drop the whole storyline for the God-awful Finchel when it rears it’s ugly head again!

ALSO DO WE REALLY THINK FOR ONE SECOND THAT SANTANA AND SUE WOULDN’T HAVE DISCOVERED THIS SECRET AGES AGO!!

Blaine serenading Kurt was silly and unbelievable, but I don’t care, I absolutely adored it, Kurt deserves a proper romance, and I love that Blaine is trying to give it to him.

Lauren can just leave, I really have had enough of her ridiculousness. I try to be an adult about it, I know part of the reason I dislike her intensely is because I ship Puck/Rachel, but her character is just horrible and unnecessary, I hated that Quinn just forgave her and they suddenly acted like they were friends, just leave already.

Emma has a mental health issue, which is very very different from having a nose you don’t like, or thinking with your penis. I dislike they way Will went about his little crusade to help her, even if he did have good intentions. Also butt-chin? I hope Sue runs with that and we get a whole bunch of clever insults from her, because seriously, that was disappointing. I am also so glad you thought Finn’s insecurity was a tad ridiculous, because really, the way they write Will and Finn as if they’re some kind of stand-up heros when really they are both jerks who full on refuse to acknowledge they even have faults nevermind deal with them (unlike Puck, Kurt, etc) annoys me to no end!!

• Jon says:

Will and Finn are awesome while Kurt and Puck have plenty of problems.

• Rebeccapedia says:

Yes, they do, but they acknowledge their flaws and at least try to change them while embracing who they are. A bad guy who knows he’s a bad guy trying to better himself for the people he loves is 100 times more interesting and loveable than an average guy who makes mistakes but refuses to see them or accept responsibility for his own actions.

• Brad says:

Finchel is the best thing about this show.

• Kate says:

@Rebeccapedia Everything you said it completely right, So much they can run from with Quinn already the girl gave birth last season, she believes her life ends after high school! And then Puck helping Lauren destory Quinn, HA?VE THE WRITERS FORGOTTEN THAT LAST SEASON PUCK SAID HE LOVED QUINN AND THAT QUINN HAD PUCKS BABY! This show is becoming so ridiculous! They seriously dont care about any story unless its about being gay!

20. Jennifer says:

To me, it was one of the best episodes ever. I was a crying mess when they did SOWK then followed it up with As If We Never Said Goodbye. They did good with this episode then the promo came and I fell out of my chair. I’m really happy with what we’re seeing for the final episodes

21. Hmm says:

I loved the ifl/up mash-up/duet!! Listened to it many times already.
    And yes, I’m also wondering why Rachel or Quinn won’t give Finn the boot! I’m so bored of this whole finchel crap! Finn is a hypocrite! I know I’m not the only one who thinks that!

22. RT says:

The only reason this episode got super-sized to 90 minutes was the seemingly disproportionate increase in the number of commercials than would normally be seen (somehow we must fund the FOX machine). That in and of itself made this episode less enjoyable for me. I guess someone needs a TiVo.

I wasn’t so keen on the Barbra-vention (zzz), but hope they find a way to keep Blaine in the story line. He’s hotter than a Puck-Sam-Finn sandwich.

But with the impending FUNERAL episode with the death of a “beloved” character and a “major” couple (according to this site), I spent much of my time trying to figure out who the writers will kill off? Burt Hummel? Finn’s Mom? A gay dad? A fat chick? Beaste? And what consitutes a major couple, screen time? That must mean Blurt or F/Quinn, or better yet, maybe Emma will overcome her OCD and tell Will to go finger is own butt-chin.

• Marcus says:

Burt’s not the character death – he’s confirmed for 6 eps next season, and it was also confirmed that the character who dies is female. And on Glee, just about anyone is a “major couple,” if past spoilers are the standard, lol.

23. bhm1304 says:

This school needs Eric Cartman.

24. John says:

I got confused about the point of the shirts – was it “things we don’t like about ourselves” or “things about us that make us different but we think are cool”? ‘Cause I don’t buy for a second that Kurt doesn’t like that he “Likes Boys.”

• Dee says:

I think it was more “things we need to accept about ourselves”. But acceptance can lead to many different outcome: in Emma’s case, acceptance of her OCD and acknowledgment of it as a problem leads to therapy, in Quinn’s storyline there’s nothing wrong with being who she is now but she needs to accept there was also nothing wrong with who she was then, etc. In some ways, Kurt’s storyline is that he has ALREADY accepted and embraced who he is (and is working on the particular outcome of figuring out a relationship with Blaine), and that was why this was his song.

• John Berggren says:

I think different students took it different ways. However, I think it was things they embraced about themselves even if others didn’t.

25. L. says:

Rachel. And Kurt. Finchel. Hummelberry. Santana. That is all.

The Quinn retconn was terrible. I felt for her more before.

26. karenb says:

Wow-finally! A great glee episode! We were so over-due for one! Overall, this season’s writing has been terrible. And all the reruns in between the new episodes just kills the continuity of the season. I almost stopped watching after last weeks most awful episode to date. So glad I tuned in for this episode. I thought it was both realistic and entertaining. And wait! Was that the old Finn who appeared in this episode?! I have do missed him and have hated his douche-bag behavior that he’s been displaying for the majority of the season! Also love how Santana is getting a bigger role this year. But I miss Mercedes! So glad Kurt is back at McKinley-but I sure hope this doesn’t mean the end for Blaine! Love that guy!!

27. Ronnie says:

A few people didn’t buy the Karofsky storyline, and I’d like to defend it for a second. Glee presents the complex realities of being Gay and has made it a point to show how different people handle it.
    – Kurt, openly gay
    – Santana, closeted but accepts who she is
    – Karofsky, closeted and not accepting who he is
    With K, they made him the bully and very easy to hate. How easy it would have been for them to simply say:
    – Jocks are bullies because their Jocks and because they are just mean people

But, instead they gave a reason for K’s bullying… a sad, but realistic person who, because society disparages gays, deals with his own sexuality by hating himself and directing anger towards those who threaten his sense of self.
    – Let’s ask this. What direction can such a character go?
    – Sadly, in real life some hurt themselves.
    – He could simply stay a bully, denying his sexuality.
    – He can learn, accept and become redeemed.

At its core, the show is about acceptance … what a narrow look at gay life it would be if all were like Kurt and Blaine. Life isn’t so simple, and how people deal with their sexuality (the good and the bad) is a strong and important lesson.

Karofsky actually is gay, and society has warped his sense of self into a ball of self-loathing, anger, denial and hatred.

– are we to accept that young people in this position are lost?
    – do we not believe in learning, growing and changing?
    – who better than Santana to help Karofsky
    — it is because she has ulterior motives that allows Karofsky to play along. This is how real people sometimes grow… K would balk at addressing his sexuality for sexualities purpose… but Santana gave him a way to move forward and he grabbed it.

It is easy to hate Karofsky.
    It is easy to say he is a jerk and doesn’t deserve redemption.
    It is easy to say he should just “accept” his sexuality.

It is hard to try and understand where pain and anger come from and believe that there is love and goodness in people that is worth redeeming… and that perhaps, Karofsky is a lost, confused boy who has been told by society that he is morally repugnant.

How people deal with being gay is complex, messy and too often ends badly. If glee isn’t going to address such complexity… who is? And if we don’t believe in redemption, living in a world of black and white…. then that is a sad comment on society, not the writers of Glee.

• SpikesPrincessJ says:

Agreed. Great post.

• Jb says:

great post! I like the complexity as well.

• JAO says:

Good analysis and deep understanding… thank you.

• Dee says:

I wasn’t seeing it in his first appearance in front of glee club–that I think was mainly him mouthing Santana’s words–but in the more private meeting with Kurt and the fathers, there was a lot more nuance. Particularly when it become Karofsky and Kurt. The blind anger he’s thrown at Kurt in the past simply wasn’t there. What looked more like embarrassment was.

Karofsky is also in a different place than he started out. He now recognizes that Kurt could have made Kurt’s life easier by outing Karofsky, and didn’t. He’s instead being blackmailed by someone else with that threat. In some ways, the tables have turned.

Karofsky has also been in two conversations now where his father, while nowhere near Burt on the continuum of acceptance, has shown that he can be open-minded. Sure, that open-mindedness was all directed at Kurt/Burt and not his own son. But I see in that some hint of Ryan Murphy’s saying that the show is about finding happy endings. Karofsky didn’t necessarily get these feelings of hatred from his family, and may not find them there either. He may not have been aware of that before.

• Amber says:

I like the way you think. I fully believe people hate other people because they remind them of things they hate within themselves or they’re scared of being themselves.

• Craig says:

Wow Ronnie, really a great post and I totally agree.

• Lily says:

@Ronnie… Wow, really enjoyed reading your post. I think Santana is totally right about Karofsky… He will never really come out… And therefore his storyline about his internal struggles is very interesting.

• Ronnie says:

Thanks for all the nice comments. I’m glad people liked it since its message was something I put a lot of thought into. :)

28. Cait says:

I really thought Will’s t-shirt was going to say something about his hair.

29. Rissa says:

I liked all of the performances last night. Kurt’s solo was the best. So happy he is back with ND. Being a Klaine fan, my heart just melted when Kurt hugged Blaine and said “I’ll never say goodbye to you”.

Loved Santana, disliked Lauren and Max Adler is a wonderful actor but I will never like Karofsky until he shows some genuine regret for what he did to Kurt. Last night he said all the right things for all the wrong reasons. I’m happy Kurt saw through the act.

30. Holly says:

I loved this episode. The writers are finally getting Glee back to its best. The only problem I did have was the fact that it was advertised as a 90 minute special but it was 56 minutes long! I know they have to take commercials into consideration, but don’t state it’s 90 minutes long then take off 34 minutes for commercials! That’s just taking the p*ss.

• Marcus says:

Do you complain that hour-long shows should actually be called 42 minute shows? Commercials are a reality, deal with it.

• GaiaPapaya says:

absolutely.. I only watch the show online, sans the commercials which is great, so I had only 56mins and I though almost the whole time WTF 56 is NOT 90!

they shouldn’t advertise this that much when its 45% commercials in the end!

• Jurybox says:

That’s why I have a DVR.

31. John Berggren says:

I think Born This Way may have just replaced Grilled Cheesus as my favorite episode. I really love the way Santana/Kurt/Karofsky are playing out.
    I didn’t think the P-Flag thing came off as dishonest in any way. Kurt knows it’s a good way for Karofsky to hide behind the “F” so that he can learn to accept his “G”.

• Craig says:

I agree with John. I love watching Santana, Kurt and Dave. I loved when Kurt called him David. He really needs to learn about himself.

• Jurybox says:

I don’t think any episode will surpass Grilled Cheesus. That episode should rank as one of the top ten best hours of TV ever.

OK – Michael – there’s another list for you to tackle!

32. Question says:

I get that the character of Mr. Shue is a DB, but he is one of the better singers on the show and has had very few musical numbers this year. Rumor on the street is that he is a diva to work with and is mad about his lack of singing opportunities. I’d be sad if he left the show because I like his voice.

33. Travis says:

Loved Kurt’s song, but seriously did we need all 5+ minutes of it. All the loving longing looks got really old and boring. No wonder they need 90 mins for the episode…edit please. Save the whole song for iTunes.

34. Sophie says:

I hate to say this, but I loved this episode because Sue wasn’t in it. Lately, the writers have written her into a corner. She is mean spirited…I get it, but why? The motivation fro this character has gotten lost in the shuffle of characters and guest stars. Jane Lynch needs to talk to the writers soon. They are wasting her talents.

• chistosa says:

I agree. Sue was one of my favorite characters but they have turned her into an unlikeable, unbelievable character who would have been in jail and fired ages ago. They have gone too far and ruined the subtle balance between mean spirted sarcasm and a sense of purpose and changed her into a fanatical deranged sociopath. Not funny.

35. Amy says:

I thought this episode was wonderful. Yes, it crammed A LOT into the episode, but I think they pulled it off well. I like that they covered a range of issues from body image to sexuality. I think if they had progressed Karvosky or Santana’s coming to terms with who they are much more it would not have been realistic. This is not an easy road for them, especially Karvosky.

As for Quinn’s storyline, it may have been a little out there, but I can totally relate to her. In middle school I was the glasses/braces/bad clothes and haircut/dork outcast. I had to sit by myself at lunch and in most of my classes. Then in 8th grade I got contacts, my braces off, started dressing better and wearing make-up. If the pictures of me as a 7th grader were hung up all over my high school I would have been devastated.

I especially loved the song between Quinn and Rachel. It was surprisingly moving and will be on my Glee Top Hits playlist. I love having Kurt back with New Directions! It really does kind of feel like he was never gone. I also loved when Burt told Finn to watch out for his brother. Nice to see how far they have come. I also love Kurt and Rachel’s friendship and hope it continues. It is great to have nice Finn back (hopefully for good) and I loved when he told Rachel she is beautiful.

I enjoyed the lack of Sue. The show is best when it focuses on the kids as a whole and the muscial numbers.

36. Dani C says:

I really liked this episode-huge step up from the last few. Things i particularly loved:
    -Quinn/Rachel duet: wow, i was really blown away by these two. And it was nice to see a return to incorporating the songs into the plot.
    -Kurt Hummel’s back-and the Warblers totally sweet send off to him.
    -the scene with Emma and her therapist…a few tears might have leaked out.
    -The last scene with Brittany and Santana…on a side note, i’m pretty sure the major couple breaking up is gonna be Artie and Brittany
    -the flash mob! I love massive synchronized dancing.
    Things i didn’t love:
    -Finn; man i am really hating his character this season. He’s not the hero of this story (at least not in his current state); i agree with other posters, the hero’s are Kurt and definitely Puck…
    -Finn and Quinn…every time they’re on screen together, i want to fast forward…i give a rats behind about this ridiculous relationship.
    I’m interested to see where they take the Karofsky story line, so i’m reserving judgement on that one. Loved seeing Tina shine a little this week too. And if it’s not Brit and Artie breaking up, i’m afraid it’s gonna be her and Mike.
    Loved Sam’s trouty mouth shirt.

37. Tiny Dancer says:

Great episode, and great recap! Michael, I’m pretty sure that the dancer you’re referring to in the “Barbra Streisand” scene is Tony Bellissimo from Season 5 of “So You Think You Can Dance”, and yes, he was fabulous!

38. Snsetblaze says:

I did find that some of the episode came out of left field. For example, Rachel is a minor. Could the doctor even treat (take x-rays) her since it was not life-threatening without at least one of the dads present? The piano in the middle of the square?

• zaza says:

The piano outside struck me as odd as well. Most schools have very little money. Would they really risk an expensive musical instrument getting damaged by putting it where the kids eat their lunches?

• Jurybox says:

Oh Please,

The glee kids have had improbable stuff all the time – it’s supposed to be funny. I get a kick out of the stuff that miraculously appears for the musical numbers. My favorite was the rain on the stage for the Umbrella/Singing in the Rain mash-up.

39. Sarah says:

I totally loved this glee!! All of the characters got some love. I love that Kurt is back and that Blaine is not out of the picture. Darren Criss is amazing!! (Can’t wait for Darren Criss and Jonathan Groff in the same episode!!!!) That scene was my fav…but the writing was so good. All of the little things..like Puck gagging behind Tina when she stated she’d thow up at Karafsky and Santana. The lil smooch with Mike and Tina that Will had to separate. The hug with Finn and Kurt in the courtyard. The conversation with Puck and Lauren about the jewels in the crown. Will and Emma are great together. I love glee and the haters can just not watch!! You are going to have good and not as good episodes in every show you watch.

40. Vetle says:

Seeing that Keane’s “Somewhere Only We Know” was performed in this episode, made me like it (the episode) instantly. One of my favorite songs of all times – and Darren did it justice.

41. T says:

Glee was great yesterday, the 90 minute episode was welcome, even though the songs felt longer. It was great to have Kurt back in Glee and back singing fabulous solos, but I wish that he could have brought the rest of the Warblers back with them.

Santana was also on a roll last night. Everything out of her mouth was offensive and PURE GOLD! More Santana please!

And finally, I want Kurt’s “Likes Boys” T-shirt. Maybe in smaller letters.

Check out my full recap here: http://rantsofacrazyperson.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/glee-recap-born-this-way/

42. French fangirl says:

The girls got all the attention this episode and it was lovely ! I don’t care how far fetched Quinn story is, mashed up with Rachel’s problem, it was totally pulling my heartstrings.

Santana is getting more and more affection from me, because even if she’s far from being perfect, she tried to help in her own way and is looking for redemptions, and while I don’t like karofsky I do like the fact that she has him by the b****.

Oh and Brittany’s assertiveness totally rocked. The girl proved once more that she’s not as stupid as everyone could think.
    Great episode, minus for the Puck/Lauren part.

43. Jake says:

The whole thing with Sanata thinking getting Kurt back was gonna get her the votes of her classmates is ridiculous. Kurt was the only openly gay, effeminate kid at school AND he’s part of glee club. Does this spell popular to you? He was bullied all the time BY the popular kids. So getting him back might get Santana votes from the Glee kids, but the rest of her classmates at school, I would imagine, could care less. So her thought process here makes no sense.

Here’s how I would’ve worked it out:

Santana figures dating Karofsky would get her the prom queen crown, because he’s one of the most popular jocks at school. BUT she can’t date him because he used to bully Kurt, and the glee kids would totally be against it. So in order to make it ok for her to date Karofsky, she threatens him with the outting and makes him apologize and promise to stop bullying Kurt. Kurt is then able to return to school. <——-See this train of thought makes more sense, because the objective isn't getting Kurt back in order to win favors, it's getting to date Karofsky, who is popular and would get more votes for prom.

44. Jon says:

I hated kurt’s songs, all the his songs are kind of dull.

45. JAO says:

Enjoyed the show a lot. It was great to hear/see Kurt again. BTW, Slezak – “Rachel don’t give the boot to Finn and enjoy the (relative) ease of being single for a while.”

You would have to understand teen-age girls… I remember constantly dreaming about (to quote Ann Margaret) “One boy, one special boy, one boy to be with forever and ever…”

46. rumpltzr says:

I loved the musical performances but I just liked the episode. I don’t think it necessarily live up to the hype but what can you do when expectations are set ridiculously high.

So happy to have Kurt back in the fold.
    This prom queen thing is gettin’ ugly ;-)
    I am starting to feel some Karofsky love (or is it Max Adler love?)
    The Will/Emma thing is kinda getting old.

My real issue came during Born this Way. The way the song was edited ruined it for me. After everything they were trying to say in this episode to edit the song and leave out the lyric ‘No matter gay, straight, or bi, lesbian, transgender life I’m on the right track baby I was born to survive’ left me confused, so much so that it took me out of the performance and left me going “huh”

• unicornwasp says:

i agree, i thought it was disappointing that they didn’t keep that lyric in as well.

• Eva says:

The changed lyrics were the only negative thing that really caught my notice in this episode, which I truly loved otherwise. It’s very strange and, considering they added so many extra minutes, seems especially unnecessary.

It makes no sense in a show which displays sexuality in such an open manner, for them to shy away from this perfect opportunity to express their message. I refuse to believe that “they” had problems with the transgender aspect of the line. You can’t expect them to put every issue out there into the show after all. But here, they intentionally excluded one. I don’t get it. *still very very confused* This is also precisely the line which was edited out of Gaga’s Song by the Malaysian government (the news told me), for homophobic reasons. I just don’t get it.

Then again, I can’t be truly angry about it in light of the general sensibility they showed Kurt, Santana and Karofsky’s storylines in this episode…

47. MollyS says:

I loved this episode. However I don’t appreciate the dismissal of Finn’s insecurity about his dancing just because he’s the “jock with the popular girlfriend”. That’s the attitude that this whole episode was about confronting.
    Didn’t like the removal of key lyrics from Born This Way, but it’s also acceptable considering that the episode was about insecurities, not sexuality.
    All their T-Shirts had me dying with laughter – so happy Sam went with Trouty Mouth and the contrast of Puck & Brittany’s shirts.

• GrandmaGlee says:

Did anyone else have the same take on Puck’s T-shirt as I did? In contrast to Brit’s, his shirt had an arrow pointing downward referring to “Stupid”. Just wondering if getting Quinn pregnant finally was a realization to Puck that his desires get him into trouble. Or am I just hoping he’s gaining some maturity?

48. Rob J. says:

@SLEZAK: In what universe does a song called “I Gotta Be Me” deserve a C for relevance when the theme of the episode is self-acceptance?!
    True, Finn’s a confident guy, both relative to the club and to the school itself, but nevertheless, his klutziness lead directly to someone else getting a broken nose. So, yes, that takes him down a peg or two in his own eyes and yes, it means that he’s *still* waaaaay high up on the pegboard, but the thing to remember about Finn is that he’s all heart.
    Finn has grown through both being a member of New Directions and his evolving platonic relationship with and understand of new sibling Kurt into a true leader, advocating for them to be the best that they can be, often by leading by example, often by being Head Male Cheerleader — and, as in this case, *both.* As goofy as the choreography is, it complements rather than overshadows the theme of the song, which is that when you accept yourself, when you’re right for you, it’s a glorious triumph *because* knowing yourself gives you the tools with which to know others. Yes, being a klutz or fat or having a big nose sucks, but you have it. How are you really going to know whether or how much you should change if you don’t own what you don’t like about yourself? You have to own the bad in yourself or you’re never going to know where the bad ends and the good begins. And if you can’t identify where you’re good or where you’re bad, how can you possibly help someone else do the same? It doesn’t matter if you’re gay or straight, at some point you’ve got to come out as yourself.
    Thus, by sharing that song with the class, Finn’s saying, “Yes, absolutely, I hate how klutzy I am, but you’ve shown me that my problem pales in comparison to yours’. But this song is how I think it feels to accept yourself and I just wanted to share that feeling with you because you all deserve to have that feeling too.”
    In other words — Relevance to the plot: A+. (The same grade that “Born This Way” and “I Feel Pretty/Unpretty” should have gotten from you, too.)

49. Marcus says:

It would have been a better episode if the focus had been the bullying storyline, with Rachel’s nosejob as the B plot (as well as the Quinn revelation that was a total rip-off of the movie Saved!), but it was certainly better than a lot of episodes this season. Kurt was at Dalton for half the year and comes back on a whim with so little onscreen consideration? What was the point? I feel like a lot of the arc was unnecessary at this point.

The music was outstanding (and also relevant, which is always nice), but the verse they cut from Born This Way instantly ruined that number for me.

50. EmilyW says:

Just FYI, the guy behind Rachel on the escalator in the flash mob scene in the yellow shirt and maroon hoodie is a former SYTYCD contestant named Tony Bellissimo! He was a member of the top 20 on Season 5.