Cougar Town's Busy Philipps on Travis-Laurie Romance: Bring It On!

The Cul de Sac Crew may be buzzing about the “big issues” coming up for Grayson (Josh Hopkins) and Jules (Courteney Cox) — but TVLine has its sight set on another Cougar Town duo: Laurie (Busy Philipps) and Travis (Dan Byrd.)

Last week, C-Town co-creator Bill Lawrence told TVLine that a Laurie-Travis romance is “a very real possibility” down the line — and now Philipps is chiming in with her support.

“I don’t think [it would be a jump-the-shark moment] because I think it’s weirdly something people have wanted to see since season one,” Philipps tells TVLine. “I think that what people respond to is that Dan and I are friends in real-life and that our ages aren’t that different. So, you see that chemistry come through on camera and people think it should be romantic between the characters.”

Too bad it doesn’t sound like Byrd feels the same way. “He did say it would be like kissing his big sister,” Philipps says of her co-star, who is only six years younger than her in real life. “I kind of know what he means.”

For now, Philipps says she doesn’t care what happens to her character, as long as Cougar Town‘s “incredible writers” keep her lines funny and her plots interesting. “For me, it makes no difference whether my character ends up with Travis or with Jules,” she adds with a laugh.

Are you on board for a Travis-Laurie romance, or is their coupling just a shark waiting to be jumped? Sound off below! (Additional reporting by Megan Masters)

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Controversy, News, Previews, Scoop

1. Ed Anderson says:

I have to admit that I kind of want it to happen. If for nothing else, than Jules’ reaction to one of her bffs dating her son…

• Riley says:

I like the idea of seeing Jules reaction and it could set up a lot of Barb comparisons.. but there’s just a MAJOR ick factor for me between these two hooking up. I so feel the bro/sis vibe that a romance wouldn’t be easy to watch. They can get the reaction and the funny shots in by TEASING a romance or having Jules THINK they are having sex without actually going there.

2. Anna says:

I am ALL FOR Trav and Laurie to get together! I feel like it’s not just their chemistry alone, but also some of the writing that has put that possibility there. I’ll be depressed if nothing ever happens between them!

3. Eternal Clementine says:

I go back and forth about it too, they absolutely do have chemistry but I usually do hope that it stays a brother sister type chemistry. I wouldn’t absolutely hate it if it happens but it would have to happen a couple years down the road, no time soon.

4. Patty says:

I would love for it to happen, but I agree with Bill Lawrence, that they should wait a few years. I mean, on the show, he’s only 18 and just started college, and she’s in her late 20s/early 30s (on the show), so it would be weird. But their chemistry and flirting is fantastic and I would to see something develop a few years down the road.

5. c says:

I think they’re waiting until Travis is older before they tackle the idea of them as a couple but…. I just hope Cougar Town is on the air long enough for that to happen!
    Love the show! And I always thought they WERE gonna get together until I read what the writers had to say. They’re chemistry is so natural.

6. AlistairCrane says:

I am so against this couple. Please don’t go there!

7. susela says:

Many of us have experienced that girl/guy friendship that has flashes of flirtation but never quite develops into anything more. I think it would be good to keep this at the “what if” and “should I?” level; it will maintain the chemistry but not move to the slightly creepy.

8. David says:

Maybe a one-night-ooops! after drinking just to shake things up a bit.

9. The title of the show is Cougar Town, after all.

10. Chance says:

The hilarity it would create with Jules’ over-momming would be worth it.

11. Melissa says:

We should remember, though, that Travis’s current girlfriend is much older. I don’t think Laurie would be that much of a difference, age-wise.

12. Lorie says:

I’m def on board for a romance!

13. ava says:

I always enjoy Travis and Laurie’s scenes so down the road I want them to become a couple. As for right now, he is only 18 and she’s best friends with his mom, so this relationship/friendship needs to develop more before the hookup.

14. Cloudy Knight says:

Travis is a college freshman dating a grad student now, so he could easily go for an older women. I’m not sure how old Laurie is supposed to be, but she’s not old enough to be a cougar yet. The writers could make a big deal about Trav’s attraction to older women being connected to his relationship with his mom. Lots of comic gold in this situation.

15. Raksha says:

I wolud totally want it to happen! But not quite immediately…I want the pair to have a slow burn, kind of “would they/might they” kind of thing. But eventually, Hell YES!!!

16. john smith says:

From what im reading here most of the girls would not like this to happen as a guy i have the complete opposite view they introduced the idea in season 1 and as the friendship of the two characters over the two season has proggessed they have grown on to me. Some of the golden moments of the past two seasons in my head have been the interactions between travis and laurie e.g the haloween episode where laurie trys to convice travis that he still likes haloween and the events following were hillarious

• john smith says:

Yeah and of course i agree with the first post the reactio nfrom jules coud be a golden moment and could ensure some pretty funny scenarios

17. Helen says:

Am I the only one who wants to see Laurie and Bobby get together? I always thought that’s where it would end up because they’re so similar in their “don’t care what other people think” kind of way. I don’t think Jules would be okay with it, but then she’d realize it’s not that bad maybe? I can’t see her character ever being okay with Laurie and Travis, or maybe I just would never be okay with it.