American Idol Top 6 Tackle the Carole King Songbook: Who Did Best? Who's at Risk?

There were six contestants, nine performances, and an immeasurable amount of annoying courtesy of Randy Jackson as American Idol delved into the Carole King songbook this evening. The entire night seemed like something of a “Farewell to Jacob Lusk” concert, but maybe I’m reading too much between the carefully constructed lines of interview packages, Jimmy Iovine clips, and “spontaneous” moments (like a teenage boy interacting with our little teenager who could, Lauren Alaina).

‘American Idol’ All-Time Greatest Performances (Day 2): Fantasia, Trenyce, Tamyra, And More Compete!

Thankfully, we got a few pretty terrific performances in the mix, but I’m going to keep my opinion to myself for the moment — you’ll have to wait for my full episode recap to post overnight right here at — and so in the interim, I turn it over to you. [UPDATE: Full episode recap is now liiiive! Click here to read.] Sound off in our polls about tonight’s best and worst performances (and duets), head down to the comments to expound on said opinions, then scroll down for the latest four-part episode of the most important series on the Internet right now, Idoloonies. And for all my Idol news and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Tonight’s Set List
Jacob Lusk: “Oh No Not My Baby”
Lauren Alaina: “Where You Lead”
Casey Abrams and Haley Reinhart: “I Feel the Earth Move”
Scotty McCreery: “You’ve Got a Friend”
James Durbin: “Will You Love Me Tomorrow”
Lauren Alaina and Scoty McCreery: “Up on the Roof”
Casey Abrams: “Hi-De-Ho That Old Sweet Roll”
Haley Reinhart: “Beautiful”
Jacob Lusk and James Durbin: “I’m Into Something Good”

Loading video...
Loading video...
Loading video...
Loading video...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. MEL31602 says:

Best Solo: Scotty followed closely by James.
    Best Duet: Lauren and Scotty. James and Jacob a surprising second for me.

I honestly don’t care who goes home between Jacob and Casey.

• Joseph says:

I respect what you believe but I had a lot of issues with both James and Scotty tonight.
      Okay even though I have not enjoyed him the last few week I can say that Casey did a really good job , he even stole the hat from Stephano this week:)
      James did a song and it was good , that is until the band kicked in and he went off key , this makes me wonder if he is off key because he had not learned how to sing when he can not hear himself.
      Haley and Lauren both did okay but in neither case did I connect with their songs, I thnk they were sung well but no idea why I felt no connection with either performance.
      Jacob , with this one because even if he may be singing well enough jus watching him on screen gives me the creeps. Not sure what it is with Jacob but no matter what he does all I see is bad attitude Diva.

So for me just because the rest were either luke warm or lost, I would say that Casey was best because he used the hints from this board to use a cool hat.

• Joseph says:

My bad forgot to mention Scotty , I like Scotty and of all the songs in the Carole King collection I had wished that some how you could find a song that would not sound / feel dated. Downside of the evening was that the performance tonight did not even have a pulse, can only hope you do better next week.

• *I think the Casey and Haley performance was the best duet, the best individual of the night was James. I’m not even the biggest James fan but he really brung it tonight and did an amazing job, that beginning part of the song with the acapella was very original and reminded me of some of the creativity this show has brought on in the past.
          *I hate hate hate that Haley didn’t get the pimp slot. She got the last individual performance, but not the last spot of the night, plus the judges rushed through their critiques. Haley needs the support and for the judges to really encourage the audience to keep her in this competition.
          *As long as Jacob goes tomorrow then I’ll be happy, Casey and Haley might be Bottom 3, but Jacob just needs to go. He could have been gone the past 2 weeks, his time has come.

• Sophie says:

Ooh yeah! How original! He sang acapella. Don’t get me wrong. James was my favorite by a wide margin. But I find it hysterical that acapella is being heralded as “original”. It’s one of the oldest forms of singing. On top of that, any number of Idol contestants have used an acapella opening in the hopes of creating a “moment”. It is an old, tired Idol method for creating a moment. On aside note, Casey iss going home tomorrow.

• Joe says:

I really do not understand what you are hearing. James was great, the best performance of the night. And it is also obvious that the judges also thought so. James has not had a really bad week. I also thought that Scotty did well, much better than last week. Jacob will probably go home, but I would not be upset if Casey went.

• dude12 says:

Just wanted to throw this out there. Did you see the VOICE. Holy Crap Javier Colon is def better than any idol left on the show. Dudes got pipes and finesse.

• RTW says:

I was pleasantly surprised because my instincts told me it would fail. A BIG plus goes to the judges panel. AI could learn a thing or twenty.

• Lauren says:

Agreed 100%

• Was James original like David Cook was original or Adam Lambert or Kris Allen to a certain extent? Absolutley not, but in this season, where must of the perforamnces are straight from the originals I give him credit for trying something a little different. Acapella is definetly an old trick to make the song your own, but when we see all these contestants do a slightly better version of karaoke week in and week out it’s refreshing when somebody takes a Carol King song like he did and make it that different. I honestly am not even the biggest James fan, but when he has a good week he has a good week, and J.Lo was right that he has been pretty consistent every week. Sure he was pitchy in spots during While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and was over the top when he ran around the auditorium that time, but he has been consistently decent every week where others have had some rough spots.

• Yo says:

James was sensational, just sensational. No getting around it, he should win. And Casey will, I think, be going home. I loved his performance but most of it had little to do with actually singing; he can’t get away with that and Iovine-Baby should have set him straight. That they didn’t makes me wonder if they are bussing him.

• april-ann says:

Agreed, Yo. James is the only contestant this season with any real talent. Am I the only one who thinks this season is very light on talent? Last night Jacob was screechy, pitchy and off-key. With the exception of James, the others weren’t much better. Lauren didn’t impress me at all, Casey was meh, Scotty was off-key, and Haley just can’t sing. Awful. If this had been any other year, the only one who would have even made it to the top 24 is James.

• Shannon says:

I like Scotty as much as my rock-loving soul can. So, obviously I prefer James.
      Ok, I thought of something earlier. Does anyone think the Durbs could be the biologically impossible love child of Adam Lambert and Kris Allen? Since everyone can’t seem to stop comparing James to Adam, I thought I’d throw that out there.

2. James says:

James yet again had the best solo of the night! If he does not win it will be a shame indeed…

Nobody was really bad tonight…but if I had to pick it would be Casey being a tad bit worse then Jacob who actually did not suck horribly for once!

With that I am sure Jacob will still be going home…

• The Wheeze says:

I agree! James definitely was the best of the night, with Haley and Scotty tied for second. The other 3 Lauren, Casey, and Jacob were just okay. Each had some good parts and not so good parts. I was the most disappointed with Casey though. He started so good and then as soon as he threw off his hat he just became the growly mess that has slowly killed what I really liked about him. His duet with Haley was NOT good. It left me feeling sorry for Haley, the same way I felt instant horrifying sympathy for James when I realized he was stuck with Jacob, and if I am being totally honest James and Jacob had a better duet. My bottom 3 are Lauren, Casey, and Jacob. My bottom 2 are Casey and Jacob. Of the two after last night I do not care which goes home.

3. MrSideEye says:

-HALEY FREAKIN REINHART! Nothing more needs to be said.
    -Tonight was the first night I actually liked James. Great vocal. He might break up the McLaina finale.
    -The other performances were just… meh. Duets were dreadful.
    -All together now… BYE BYE JACOB!

4. Steph says:

James was good. I thought Haley sounded the most current. The rest were just MEHHHH. The duets were kind of a waste.

5. SharonM says:

James Durbin may have had a moment tonight.

• MrSideEye says:

Definitely the closest thing to it that we may get this season.

• allie says:

Almost. Started out GREAT but the band is terrible and the production stinks. Iovine needs to GO. He is quite possibly the worstthing that has ever happened to AI.

• Lori says:

I’ll agree with you on that. I HATE Jimmy Iovine. The “production team” has sucked any life the contestants might have right out of them, and the whole show is over-produced. They give no chance for the contestants to grow week by week.

• darclyte says:

Scotty was close to having a moment, but James very well might have had one. He really sounded great throughout. I do think that was my favorite Scotty performance to date, and I haven’t been a fan. Haley sounded great on the duet until the end, but she was a bit off here and there in her solo. If I had to rank the performances tonight it’d be: James, Scotty, Haley & Casey, Lauren, Lauren & Scotty, Casey, Haley, James & Jacob, Jacob. Although James & Jacob was kinda fun, and James was good and I liked his spoke “riff,” their voices didn’t blend more than they did blend, and Jacob just wasn’t meant for that song.

• Eolra says:

I thought Scotty had a good vocal and for once kept his cheesy affectations to a minimum which was good. Towards the end however, he started with his little hand gestures which took me out of the moment – someone needs to tie that boy’s hands down while he’s performing!

6. darcy's evil twin says:

Due to Jacob’s song choice I am forced to post this link, once again, for all you boomers and cougars – enjoy!

Steven came out of his coma long enough to make some sense and say TWO embarrassing things! Poor Casey! And Jennifer wasn’t quick enough on the draw to cut off Steven’s bowling alley story!

Haley and Casey – wow. Loved their duet. It had just enough of a jazz vibe to keep it from veering into “The Captain and Tennille” territory.

• SharonM says:

Awesome video! ;-)

• Dawg says:

I’ve decided that Steven Tyler isn’t inept. He’s just totally uninvested in the show and the contestants. When he made comments tonight, it was almost like he was making fun of the contestants. Poor form, pal.

• Yo says:

I watched him all night. Something is very wrong with this guy. I don’t think the problem is boredom. Why do I suspect the producers want the judges to go in some kind of direction and he doesn’t want to play ball? Anyone think his “boredom” kicked in the night he swore and there was an upset in Idol land?

7. PinBox says:

I want James and Lauren to do a duet together.
    They are such effortless natural singers and they would really play well off of each other.

8. blingedup.susan says:

First time ever that I have loved Scotty’s performance. I thought it was it best ever. Loved Haley’s performance as well. Those were my two favorites and number 3 is a distant 3.

• NanCeE* says:

Agree completely – first time I have ever liked a Scotty performance. Jacob and Casey were bottom two in my opinion.

• Ablo says:

Scotty did better than usual, but boring. To put Casey on the same level as Jacob’s low level is just silly.

• Bat Country says:

Glad he took J-Lo’s criticism to heart, but knowing him, not surprised. He’s a good ol’ country boy, and if a woman round his mama’s age tells him she expected more from him, you better bet he’ll straighten up and fly right. There are few words that’ll cut straight into the heart of a country boy more than “I’m disappointed in you, son.”

• Katherine says:

Agree 100%. Really don’t like Scotty usually (annoying and a bit fake to me) but tonight I felt like he was more himself and stopped winking at the camera long enough to sing well! Haley was great! Again! James was my 3rd.

9. Dechelle says:

Heads up everyone—James is gonna win this whole thing……

• agrimesy says:

The judges (well, Randy) may have said so, but it’s early yet. That kind of gushing usually backfires. Before the top four, I think these grandiose comments are the kiss of death competitively speaking. When Ryan forced that Randy / James hug, I think it abruptly ruined the moment. James started randomly strumming at his guitar. The audience quieted down. It was really awkward. They may have just sealed James’ fate as a third or fourth place finisher.

10. tomitweets says:

James was the best performance, and while Haley sang it great, I didnt think it was the right song for her to win the supporters she needs. She would have done better with Smack Water Jack, I think.

• Erin says:

Poor Haley.. she needed a moment so badly! Not sure if it was technical issues, or my tv, but she seemed absolutely drowned by the band and you could see fear in her eyes at the end. Just a tad worried about her. Please let the bottom be Jacob, Casey and Lauren as it should be.

11. Deb says:

James gave the performance of the night and that is coming from someone who does not particularly like his type of music. This is as close to an idol moment as we’ve come this season.
    Haley and Case were good. Lauren was okay. Jacob and Scotty were meh.

12. tuppy says:

Haley’s still my favorite — Bennie, Call Me, and Rolling in the Deep have dominated my iPod for weeks — but James definitely had a moment tonight. And, actually, so did Scotty! Kind of! I was thrilled to see performances I liked from contestants I don’t usually download the next day.

The problem re: these “moments” is that after fawning praise from the judges for EVERYTHING so far this season, it’s impossible for them to identify viz. their critiques that performances with that rare Idol magic have actually occurred.

I was wary about Carole King night, but the solos were pretty excellent. (Excepting, of course, Jacob.) (And Casey fell flat for me.) (The duets were… not great.) (End of caveating.)

13. dj says:

I liked Haley, Scotty, and James tonight, and I liked Lauren and Scotty’s duet.

I think Lauren picks boring songs for her solos. She needs some help with that.

14. lauren not alaina says:

Michael you get on the judges for their revisionist history but I remember not so long ago you hated Haley for her word-slurring and you didn’t like Lauren either…..OR PIA! Not that they’re not all amazing, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth sir.

• Scotty Not McCreery says:

Hon, you miss the point. Slezak does a week by week critique, and is able to identify a good performance separate of his pre-set fandom (see his positive critique of James last week). He never goes back and says “performance X was great” after having trashed it the week prior. Maybe you need to learn the meaning of the term “revisionist history.”

• Jason S says:

I have to agree Slezak hated Haley in the first few weeks! He was downright nasty too her!!! I guess she slowly won his heart!!

• Eolra says:

Do you even watch Idoloonies? Slezak has always maintained that Pia “does everything wrong, but for some reason it turns out right” – that’s hardly hatred. I don’t think he’s ever said that he doesn’t like Lauren, he’s just pointed out that she’s clearly the producer’s “chosen one”, which is true. I don’t see any discrepancies besides that he now enjoys Haley and used to dislike her, but he has said repeatedly that Haley has “grown” on him over time – it’s not it’s a big secret that she was a slow-burn for him. Geez.

• Blair says:

I could be off the mark here, not sure, but I feel like ever since the week Haley sang “Benny and the Jets”, she seems to have grown on Michael. And I have a theory that there may have been a quality that he heard in her voice a little similar to Alison Iraheta (from season 8). I know I definitely heard that out of her. And I remember how much he loved Alison. So, call me crazy, but that’s my hypothesis.

15. Lilly says:

I didn’t have a least favorite tonight, they were all incredible. Tonight we also had some very good arrangements, probably the best of the season. Scotty stepped out of his comfort zone, Haley was in control of the stage, Jacob had fun and showed his range, Lauren was confident, Casey showed that he can actually sing like a jazz singer, and not just play the part. It was a good night.

16. Kai says:

Scotty was best of the night for me.

I don’t think Lauren did too bad, but she definitely didn’t do anything special.

Bottom three: Jacob, Casey, Haley.
    Jacob going home.

I’ll be shocked if he stays.

17. Nancy says:

Finally some artistic vision from some of the contestants.

18. kd says:

Just started watching – is it my tv or was something wrong with the audio? Everyone has the “in a cave” sound.

• Can't Sleep says:

No, there’s definitely something wrong on AI’s side. It sounds tinny on my speakers, and I’m not sure we are hearing the “true” audio. Whatever they did this week, they need to fix it, ‘cuz it definitely made the vocals sound off all night long – even the judges sounded awful. I didn’t like it and they need to stop whatever they did.

• Can't SLeep says:

Listened to the You Tube versions. Everyone sounded much better. It’s some technical problem on AI’s side. They need to correct it before tonight’s show.

19. Lloyd says:

Deadly storms around the AL, GA regions meant frequent news interruptions throughout Idol. I was not able to hear James vocal which I am now hearing was the best of the night. With the frequent special reports about the dangerous weather, I was not able to enjoy the show tonight, but was very grateful to even view the show at all. My thoughts are with those who are and have suffered from these storms. Based on what I was able to see, the bottom three COULD be Jacob, Casey, and Haley and Haley is my favorite!

• Can't Sleep says:

No, the B3 will be Casey, Jacob and Lauren. She’s becoming more & more dull each week and Haley is becoming more interesting. Dial Idol has her in B2 this week with Jacob.

20. Leslie says:

Wow, there wasn’t a performance that I didn’t like—they all were HOT tonight! I think Babyface was the best thing to happen to those kids, all of his advice was spot on and you could see each one using it and improving greatly!
    Scotty and James both had my heart tonight—with Lauren and Haley right there as well.
    Casey was fantastic, but I do agree with Jennifer, he’s gotta ease up a bit on the tension—he’s so laid back IRL but when he’s singing he’s SO intense—but it’s all good.
    Jacob—I actually liked him tonight—that’s 2 weeks in a row for me! I still think he’s going home this week.
    Lauren was so cute and I’m so glad she got some of her confidence back—meeting Miley (and Miley saying basically that the haters are gonna hate no matter what—get over it) was probably the best thing for her!
    Haley was fantastic, she worked that song and GOT it!
    Scotty gave me goose bumps–his upper register tenor is BEAUTIFUL!
    I could tell James was singing to his Heidi–that was so great–and he sang it perfectly (emphasis on the word SANG) a few people seem to think that he can only screech—I knew he could do it!!
    What a great show tonight—and I really don’t understand how anyone could think any of the kids were “meh” tonight!

• Lana says:

Totally agreed with you,Leslie, great night and I enjoyed all the performances, even Jacob, though the duet with James wasn’t as good as the other duets. I am tired of them always putting Scotty and Lauren together, I bet he and James could really put away a great duet, try it AI.

21. excellent says:

Haley was very wonderful tonight. I love how she did her music arrangement with the band. Her performance was superb.

22. dp says:

ugh, the duets were kinda painful. and one overshadowed the other in each. Haley (terrific) over Casey (meh), Lauren(solid) over scotty (paled in comparison) and james (the lesser of the two screamer evils) over Jacob (*my ears*). I guess Adam and Allison’s Slow Ride was as good as we’ll ever get….

and the choreography was extra cheesy today, my brother (who doesn’t watch idol) walked into the room when I was watching casey and haley duet and he was like “wtf are you watching?”. i was actually embarrassed lol

• Michelle says:

I agree with everything you said. James is good when he hits the high notes but I find them alittle bit boring after hearing Adam Lambert hit the same notes but actually do something with them. I hope James wins but would not be disappointed if it was Lauren or Haley.
      Jacob has to go, please Lord!

23. Can't Sleep says:

James was the best. Not even close.
    I get that Jacob will probably go tomorrow, but I’m ready to see Lauren A in the B3. If she doesn’t go this week, then she’s done next. And if not next week, then the following. I get nauseated over all the fawning over her Kareoke performances. Where is Simon when you need him?

24. ErixN says:

Most did great tonight. I think the theme didn’t help some people. I thought Casey was the worse. The Scotty and Lauren duet was the worse for me. There were parts where Scotty would go flat and then there were moments when Lauren would start flat on a phrase. It was surprising to me because they usually sound good on their duets together. It’s probably due to Scotty not staying at the top of his notes.

• Kevin C. says:

I blame the arrangers myself. A singer at the very top of his range (like they put Scotty) and singing full voice and not falsetto (again, like they had Scotty do) is pretty much always going to have trouble blending.

• Can't Sleep says:

TPTB are trying to force this duet. It was cute the first time, but it has become stale. Scotty had moments in that duet where he out sang Wittle Wauren, but was forced to go places with his vocals that didn’t work in order to pimp Wittle Wauren. Technically he’s better than she is, but they want us to love Wittle Wauren. It’s time to pair her with someone else and force them to play the Pimp Lauren Game – unfortunately that’s James, ‘cuz Casey & Haley have chemistry.

25. Daniella says:

Bring back Simon. AT least he’s honest. Casey sucked. That wasn’t even close to singing. It was screeching and annoying. What’s wrong with these judges? They don’t have the guts to tell someone if they’re horrible? I actually had to turn the channel during Casey’s performance. It was that bad. I couldn’t bear listening to him screech or whatever that noise is he makes.

James was awesome. I’m with Randy-He’s a winner.

Loved Scotty’s performance too.

The rest were ok. I could sit and listen to them without needing to switch the channel like I did with Casey.

• Eolra says:

Agree. I missed the show but caught up on all the performances on youtube, and Casey’s was the only one I didn’t make it all the way through – I got bored and annoyed with all the growling and yelling. I even made it through Jacob’s performance without stopping it, and I am no fan of his, but at least he had a few levels which made it a little more interesting – Casey’s was just all the same crap. Ugh.

• Blair says:

@Daniella – lol! I agree …while Casey was singing, I started twitching uncontrollably and had severe Gokey flashbacks of “Dream On” aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

26. Pam says:

Haley is absolutely the best performer overall, but tonight I really liked James Durbin. It’s actually the first time I’ve enjoyed his performance. Loved Haley and Casey’s duet!!!

27. agrimesy says:

I’m voting for Haley. She had a solid vocal on a song I hadn’t heard before. I thought she was hilarious in the duet package with Casey. I wish their actual duet had been better.
    I thought Lauren was fine with a really boring song, and I don’t know why she was so tearful. That kid is ready to crack!
    Finally the judges called Scotty out on the fact that he doesn’t hold his notes. He has very poor air control, but I did appreciate him hitting his upper range.
    Casey did his thing all right, but I don’t like his thing.
    James almost got my approval then he started screaming, and it all went wrong. (According to the judges, though, he will win. I’m sure Scotty did a “say what?” backstage.)
    Jacob sounded fine, but that up tempo pop doesn’t suit him. I think he was trying too hard with the happy feet. He’s going home.

• darcy's evil twin says:

“Beautiful”, the song Haley sang, is on the “Tapestry” album.
      Yes, I noticed Steven and Randy finally woke up, had a “WTH” moment, and give Scotty some constructive criticism. Hey guys, what’s the rush? I think there are five whole weeks left in this contest!

• Lana says:

I have to admit that I’m finding myself looking for Darcy’s evil twin because you really crack me up, even when I don’t agree though I agree more times than not. Please keep on commenting!!

• Anne says:

your comments always make me chuckle…heh heh

28. Merrilyn says:

Maybe Babyface should mentor them every week! I think he really brought out some great nuances we hadn’t seen, particularly for Scotty and Lauren. James and Haley were AMAZING! Jacob lost me at “Lusky Stank”, weeks ago. I so hope he is going home tomorrow.

29. jd says:

it really irked me the way they rushed through haley to make time for that god-awful final duet…at least j-lo finally recognized haley has one of the best voices in this competition. and randy can suck it, yanno what was boring? the whole time scotty and lauren were singing, both in their duet and individually.

30. omg j-lo says:

Anyone else notice that J-Lo’s turning into Randy? She said to Casey: “For me the strongest part for you…” and to Scotty, she started the whole “for me” thing again.

They should move Steven’s microphone up so he doesn’t have to lean over so far to talk everytime!

• sick of AI says:

Randy always says “You know what I loved about that?” And Steven always says “That was beautiful.”

• agrimesy says:

LOL . . . I just had an image of Steven as one of those dirty old men in the nursing home who mutters crass to himself and doesn’t realize anyone can hear him. They keep the microphone away coz Steven hums and sputters at random totally oblivious to the performances at hand. ;)

• Eolra says:

Steven talks into the microphone? I thought they just played a recording that says “that was beautiful”.

31. Owen says:

Wow, Casey does NOT want to win this thing. Again, ask any musician, they will agree what he did tonight was awesome. But its way too arch a performance style to get enough votes to stay out of the top 3. He’s a brave, talented boy. They were all very good tonight, however, which hurts his chances even more. I love how they gave Haley the pimp spot which turned out NOT to be the pimp spot…

• darcy's evil twin says:

my name is darcy’s evil twin, and I’m a recovering fan of Casey’s.

Tonight’s peformance had his old level of confidence and it WAS interesting – I really liked the way it started, and then he kind of slipped back into way too much of that growling stuff. It was somewhat entertaining to watch but I can’t imagine listening to it on the radio. I would have liked more singing and less growling.

That was never one of my favorite Blood, Sweat, and Tears songs anyway.

Gotta go – my sponsor just busted me for trying to get back on the Casey Train!

• Lily says:

Just too much growling from Casey and not enough singing, I think this is the end of the road for him. I’m a little worried about both Lauren and Haley though, their song choices seemed more on the obscure side. James and Scotty chose very well known Carole King hit songs and they both had ‘Idol moments.’ I wish the girls had picked big hits rather than lesser known songs.

• marie says:

I SOOO agree, DET. In the course of the season, I have gone from being ECSTATIC over what I thought was Casey’s talent to cringing in dread whenever he takes the stage. I HATED his performance tonight. I’ve come around to thinking, this guy’s no singer.
        Next two to go should be Jacob and Casey; Haley will take 4th although she’s better than Lauren.

32. hopeful says:

1 Haley
    2. James
    3 Casey – Scotty
    5 Jacob – Alaina

Haley’s was an intricate performance; may have been too nuanced but solid. Truest to Carole’s legacy.
    James’ start was nice but the ending was meh — what does it have to do with the song?
    Hi-de-Ho – BST was better
    You Got a Friend – a bit shakey, but gets points anyway for being Scotty
    Jacob – ending was fun
    Alaina – nice girl but her extending it was weak.

The duets look like they were sprung on them yesterday or this morning.

Are they starting to de-bus Haley? She got great comments from Tyler — he must have been watch Loonies. Good ones from JLo.

33. corey says:

jacob- bye bye, sweetie pie. go to broadway!

lauren- safe, more of the same

james- less screechy, an improvement

haley- okay okay okay…still not good enuf to catapult her any farther than the next week or two

casey- back to that angry tone…tsk tsk tsk

scotty- nice. a little slow but i’ll take it.

and now for the judges section:
    randy- stop trying to create soundbites to rile the crowd and fill simon’s shoes in a season-long attempt to prove this show is not over

jennifer- stop playing along with the contestants’ nonsense and be the voice of reason you once were!

steven- go back to sleep

and finally:
    ryan- if you want to be a judge, go for it. stop wasting our time with your feedback.

34. Amie says:

I hate that I come here and see so many happy Haley comments and then see her in the bottom three every week! Its raises my expectations…VOTE VOTE VOTE FOR HALEY!!!!!!!

• Emme says:

I’m voting my fingers off for Haley!!!!

• AKL says:

I understand your frustration! I’m voting for her like crazy because I don’t understand how so many people seem to love her on the blogs I read, but it doesn’t translate into enough votes. VOTE FOR HALEY!! She needs us now more than ever.

• tvlover44 says:

so agree – i voted at least a few hundred times for haley!

• Blair says:

I, for another am voting my fingers to the bone for her. I use up the entire time slot just to vote for Haley. …don’t know what I’m gonna do if I ever run out of time just to have to get enough votes in for her because not enough people are putting in the votes to compete with the others, well you know what I mean… vote people!

35. Aaron says:

I live in East Tennessee and so I didn’t see the performances from James or Scotty, due to terrible tornado-like weather.

From what I saw, Haley had my favorite solo performance (I didn’t see James or Scotty). Was not a fan of Casey (was very cabaret), Lauren was a bit forgettable.

Didn’t like the duets at all (Casey and Haley fared the best)…

…why has no one mentioned the fact that Scotty was WAYYY under the pitch during his duet with Lauren?

36. Teena says:

Babyface was awesome! Now that was true mentoring.

• darcy's evil twin says:

No kidding. I was fixing dinner, glanced at the TV, and thought, “In the name of everything holy, is’s butt glued to that doggone stool?” Then I looked more closely and realized it was Babyface.

BIG improvement!

37. Linderella49 says:

Scotty showed he can sing something besides babylockemdoors, James brought his game, and Haley was wonderful. I was disappointed in the duets. Lauren was good tonight but her backup singers almost overpowered her. I agree with the person who said Lauren and James should do a duet – that might be an interesting combo. I was frankly surprised at some the Carole King song choices considering she has such an extensive and wonderful songbook. Scotty, James, and Haley picked great songs and for once Scotty took someone elses advice; the result – great performances.

• Eolra says:

I agaree. I’m getting tired of seeing the same freaking pairings for duos and group performances – how many Scotty-Lauren duets do we have to see? How many more Casey-Haley jazzy duets are we in store for? I don’t think they’re doing them any favours by making them stay in “their lane” for these performances – they should be challenging them with more inspired pairings and songs. Can’t we try something new and exciting please?

• MsTecknology says:

You made me laugh on your comment about Scotty.

38. Scorpiosue1102 says:

James was *this* close to having a moment. I think if he would have sang with just his guitar it would have been the best of the season. Still, it was amazing.
    Haley sounded great. She took a song I really didn’t know and made it current.
    Babyface was a fantastic mentor/producer. He made it so interesting.

39. allie says:

I am going to be in the minority but I was bored senseless tonight. HATED most of it except for the very beginning of James’ song. Held my breath thinking we were going to have a moment… but no. The duet at the end with Jacob and James was beyond terrible. Every song was irrelevant and old. AI needs to ditch Iovine and Nigel, get a band that can perform music post 1964, let the contestants be creative and stop telling them they can’t compete with current artists. (The Voice proved last night that they CAN). The judges need to do their jobs and they need to revamp the voting system. Maybe with all of that they could find the next big star… as it is now, NO WAY.

• Lem says:

I could not agree more allie. Carole King is amazing and a legend, but devoting a show to her songs overwhelmed the muscle that controls my eyelids. Let them sing what they want to sing and have producer Jimmy go out baseball cap shopping during their studio time.

Totally boring show.

40. Erin says:

Casey yells “now let me tell ya somethin’…” but really I want you to SING me something. He is stylized and unpredictable, which I like for tv, but the grunting, yelling and growling through gritted teeth simply will not make an idol, nor a true recordable artist contrary to what many may think. Sure its art… but it kinda sucks.

• Karen says:

Have to laugh when you say Jacob did not suck horribly tonight – for once. I think everyone says that one week or another. I thought he was almost listenable about 3 weeks ago. something about the nasally tone in his voice that creeps me out.

I think it will be either Jacob or Casey too. Hopefully Casey has enough votes thru facebook to keep him.

41. AmericanIdolit says:

James definitely had an Idol “moment.” Scotty was way out of tune in harmonizing with Lauren for their duet. Casey did what Stefano should have done (wore the fedora). Randy is constantly having his mic cut off from his inane ramblings and there is nothing wrong with that. Why the F is Seacrest asking James Durbin what he thought of Scotty’s performance while interviewing for his song? Why should we have to hear what James’ opinions are as if he’s the 4th judge? Seacrest also made a boo-boo thinking Carole King was in the audience, when it was her daughter. #seacrestfail

42. JAson says:

Can someone post HAley’s phone number? I want to vote for her but am stuck at work.

43. VeeKay says:

I have to go with James..Scotty a close second, have been a Casey fan, but he might have lost me not get the ‘Haley Hype’..don’t like her..Lauren (in my opinion, is better) and Jacob..well he needs to go back to his day-job..

44. Idolidol says:

The back ground music was way too loud during Haley’s song. Haley needed to slow the song down and maybe sing accapela or sing to an acoustic

I’ve been Haley’s biggest fan since the season began but tonight the arrangement left me wanting more…sad.. I so wanted a Benny and the Jet’s moment

45. Anne says:

I will go out on a limb and say THE PERFORMANCE OF THE NIGHT belonged to Babyface for best mentor.

46. Davey says:

I thought Scotty and James were the best tonight. I also liked Haley’s singing but the arrangement was schizoid and there didn’t seem enough time for her to shift moods.

I liked Up on the Roof duet but then I love that song.

I have no favorites on this show. James is getting pushed now. I just wish I could stand watching him more than a few minutes, the faces he makes make it hard for me to watch him.

I don’t always get Casey but tonight his act seemed to work.

47. davey says:

Why is there a Didi interview and none with Paul McDonald?

I wish I cared about Didi but I do not. I turned off listening to her after two minutes.

• eclipse says:

James has the magic factor in his performance. The beginning reminded me of Bo Bice singing acappella – should have sung the whole song like that but he was still the best. He has the most creative song arrangements and song choices. Love him for his genuineness.

• jazzy says:

Didi is a droner, it’s like she’s bummed out all the time. Agree with you.

• Eolra says:

I like seeing the idol alums on Idoloonies; not all of them are my personal favorites, but it’s still cool to see what they’re up to, and get their takes on this season. You can’t expect Slezak to magically be able to book every single person’s favorite contestant of all time can you? I’m sure there are people out there that were thrilled to see Didi, just like you would be thrilled to see Paul.

48. debi says:

James the best solo; best duo Jacob/James. Worst Lauren/Scotty/Casey/Hailey. Why does everyone hate Jacob, the boy can sing.

• idolidol says:

I agree debi

Haley is my favorite but people are too hard on Jacob..

The dude can sing and I like his personality. Thanks for stepping up Debi as I too am tired of all the undeserved Jacob hate from Slezak and the posts

• Lynnie says:

I don’t hate Jacob, but I have serious complaints. His voice has power, no doubt. What he lacks is control. Or subtlety. Or restraint. He also has pitch problems. His performances lack taste. They’re almost all overwrought and melodramatic, with his face contorted in this “I’m emoting” mode of faux sadness no matter what he’s belting. He veers into parody. When he’s at full tilt, I find myself giggling, and that’s not at all the effect he’s trying to achieve. It’s truly past time for him to go.

• Volcfom says:

About 70% of Jacob’s performance was sharp tonight. Obviously he wouldn’t have gotten this far if he couldn’t sing, but he definitely should be the next to go. He doesn’t match up to who is left.

49. Erin says:

Wow, Steven Tyler woke up and got all “crabby grandma” on us. Also, thank you Babyface for showing what new guidance and a fresh ear does for contestants. I attribute tonight’s great show to him and urge the return of the mentors!

50. Debi says:

Slezak how come you left eweekly