Idol Leaderboard: Vote to Rank the Top 6!
The American Idol Top 6 will attempt to weave a tapestry of magical musical moments when they tackle the Carole King songbook on tonight’s 90-minute telecast. If brevity really is the soul of wit, then check out my ranking of the remaining singers — each one in 20 words or less. Yeah, it’s a crazy idea, but I like to occasionally push the limits of my blogging “artistry.” When you’re done, head to our poll to vote for your favorite, and hit the comments to justify your pick. And for all my Idol news and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.
6. Jacob Lusk (Last Week No. 7) | Every song performed like prelude to a crying jag, but Jacob ought to save tears for his inevitable ouster, no?
5. Casey Abrams (Last Week No. 4) | Rageful Maroon 5 + gentle kiss of J.Lo’s cheek = a truly creepy moment. Multiple musical personas not helping.
4. Lauren Alaina (Last Week No. 5) | Tried ill-fitting “insecure girl” persona last week and an woeful Sara Evans song. Song selection, confidence, are key.
3. Haley Reinhart (Last Week No. 2) | Adele cover was lovely but too carbon-copy. Judges and producers driving bus straight at her — Haley, save yourself!
2. James Durbin (Last Week No. 3) | Never hit bottom three, and marching-band mayhem on “Uprising” was loads of fun. Peaking at just the right time?
1. Scotty McCreery (Last Week No. 1) | Got first negative critique for uninspired “Swingin’” yet escaped jeopardy. Does Carole King have song title containing the word “country”?
Okay, TVLine readers, it’s your turn. Vote for your favorite in our Idol Leaderboard poll, then sound off in the comments on how you’d rank the whole Top 6. Ready, set, prognosticate!