Ratings: Game of Thrones Steady in Week 2 -- Plus Spoilers on Next Five Episodes

In a promising sign for the already-renewed fantasy drama, Game of Thrones‘ second episode Sunday matched its week-ago premiere audience with 2.2 million viewers.

The return of Treme didn’t fare nearly as well for the cabler. The show’s second-season premiere drew a measly 605K viewers, down from its Season 1 average of 770K.

Episode #3: “Lord Snow”

Arriving at King’s Landing after his long journey, Ned (Sean Bean) is shocked to learn of the Crown’s profligacy from his new advisors. At Castle Black, Jon Snow (Kit Harington) impresses Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) at the expense of greener recruits.  Suspicious that the Lannisters had a hand in Bran’s fall, Catelyn (Michelle Fairey) covertly follows her husband to King’s Landing, where she is intercepted by Petyr Baelish (Aidan Gillen), aka “Littlefinger,” a shrewd longtime ally and brothel owner. Cersei (Lena Headey) and Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) ponder the implications of Bran’s (Isaac Hempstead-Wright) recovery; Arya (Maisie Williams) studies swordsmanship. On the road to Vaes Dothrak, Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) finds herself at odds with Viserys (Harry Lloyd).

Episode #4: “Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things”

Ned looks to a book for clues to the death of his predecessor, and uncovers one of King Robert’s (Mark Addy) bastards. Robert and his guests witness a tournament honoring Ned. Jon takes measures to protect Samwell (John Bradley) from further abuse at Castle Black; a frustrated Viserys clashes with Daenerys in Vaes Dothrak; Sansa (Sophie Turner) imagines her future as a queen, while Arya envisions a far different future. Catelyn rallies her husband’s allies to make a point, while Tyrion finds himself caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Episode #5: “The Wolf and the Lion”

Incensed over news of Daenerys’ alliance with the Dothrakis, Robert orders a preemptive strike on the Targaryens that drives a wedge in his relationship with Ned. A captive Tyrion helps Catelyn, but receives a cold reception at the Eyrie from her sister, John Arryn’s widow Lysa (Kate Dickie). Sansa is charmed by the dashing Ser Loras Tyrell (Finn Jones), aka the Knight of Flowers. Arya overhears a plot against her father.

Episode #6: “A Golden Crown”

Reinstated as the Hand, Ned sits for the King while Robert is on a hunt, and issues a decree that could have long-term consequences throughout the Seven Kingdoms. At the Eyrie, Tyrion confesses to his “crimes,” and demands that Lysa give him a trial by combat.  Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) apologizes to Sansa; Viserys receives his final payment for Daenerys from Drogo (Jason Mamoa).

Episode #7: “You Win or You Die”

Explaining that the future of the Lannisters is at stake, Tywin (Charles Dance) presses Jaime to “be the man you were meant to be” as they prepare for battle. Ned confronts Cersei about the secrets that killed Jon Arryn. With the fate of the missing Benjen (Joseph Mawle) very much on his mind, Jon Snow takes his Night’s Watch vows, though not with the assignment he coveted. After Ser Jorah (Iain Glenn) saves Daenerys from treachery, an enraged Drogo vows to lead the Dothraki where they’ve never gone before. An injured Robert takes pains to ensure an orderly transition at King’s Landing.

1. h5n1 says:

what a brilliant article… you’ve managed to copy episode descriptions from imdb… good work that man…

2. topoopon says:

It’s a shame, because Treme is 10x’s more interesting than Game of Thrones. I’ll give Game of Throne one more watching, but if it doesn’t get any more interesting, I may dump it from my viewing schedule.

• Paco says:

Different strokes for different folks cuz Treme bores me to tears.

• sitkajuneau says:

No amount of HBO advertising would ever make me watch Treme. After seeing how the people of Japan are coping with far less crime after their tragedy, I have no interest in seeing the people of New Orleans deal with the aftermath of Katrina. We all know how that is turning out.

Game of Thrones is well worth the hype.

3. Kevin says:

These descriptions were released by HBO so everyone including whoever posted on IMDB is copying from them. I am fairly sure that HBO would be a good source for descriptions of their own show.

4. Nick says:

Did you just seriously say Treme is more interesting than Game of Thrones. I litterally made it through like 4 episodes of that crap last season and gave up. Yawn, new orleans is still there and people play music. Got it. Don’t need to see anymore. Game of Thrones this week was great though, hope the little girl knifes the prince though in the next one.

• Raechel says:

Forget about the the Prince, if I was that little girl, I’d get my hands on my sister and make her pay for lying. Lady (wolf) & the butchers son would still be alive if she had just told the truth.

• Nick says:

True, but I expect Arya will get her sister back in time. Cannot wait to see what happens now that Bran woke up too, that little kid is cool.

5. JHarnes says:

Peter Dinklage’s Tyrion is just fantastic! What an actor!!! I will watch anything with Sean Bean – Sharpe’s Rifles just is so much fun. But Dinklage’s character is blowing me away. He controls every scene he is in. He has brought Tyrion to life and his voice holds such authority. I think his character would make the best High King!

This is such a great show I love HBO for already approving season 2. HBO has given us such great story telling in the past and this series is a wonderful jewel that I hope runs for many years!

6. TD says:

HBO stinks. I still haven’t forgiven them for canceling Deadwood! They also canceled Rome which was another bad move. Since then, we’ve gotten Treme, John from Cincinatti, Game of Thrones, and other garbage that I do not watch or has been cancelled. I also think Boardwalk Empire is overrated and a B show at best. HBO believes if they advertise enough than people will watch. It’s no wonder AMC with Breaking Bad, Madmen, and Walking Dead is now the top spot with Showtime & Starz behind but ahead of HBO.

• Jack says:

They don’t have to be likable. None of the characters in Deadwood were likable either. They were neither nor black or white. They were gray. Same thing with Game of Thrones. Camelot doesn’t even come close to being as good as Game of Thrones.

7. JohnDoe says:

If there was a character worth rooting for, I would watch more Game of Thrones, but it’s just an gigantic orgy of unlikeable people talking a lot.

8. John says:

He didn’t try to take credit for the spoilers, and I wouldn’t have looked elsewhere for them. Thank you

“Back to Thrones, HBO just released some DEFCON 1-level spoilers from the next five episodes. Read at your own risk.”

9. Igloo says:

I watched 1.5 episodes of Treme and just couldn’t take any more. I was bored to tears.
    I will have to tune in and see what “Game of Thrones” is all about.

10. Brian says:

If you don’t like any of the characters then be patient. This is how Martin wrote the books. No one is completly good or completly bad (well Cersei and Joffrey and a couple of others push that theory). Thats what makes these books intriging. You don’t have a fluffy sunshine and butterly story. It is harsh and gritty and you end up in some cases cheering for the bad guys (although the lines of good and bad are muddy). Once the show, like the book opens up it becomes a lot more entertaining. The tv show, I think is doing an admirable job of introducing the characters. But the story is so complex and entertaining because of each characters’ allegiances and motivations. Or lack there of. Tyrion is my favorite character (like a lot of fans of the books) because he has both good and bad qualities.

11. Blue says:

How can there be “spoilers” in a series based on books?! The HBO series is well done and well worth watching but the books put it to shame.

12. Taylor says:

I kind of scratch my head when people say there are no straight up good guys in the series …. yes many are “grey”, but John Snow, Bran, and Arya (to name a few) I think all very easily recognizably “good guys”. If you follow the series, you will probably root for them (as well as the Imp…. my personal favourite).

13. jag says:

this is how an epic story should be developed. with precision and conviction. i dont know why other people are so good with negativity. remember prison break or lost? these are heavy series with layered characters. conveying a multi-layered character is like opening a book. you have to read it top to bottom to know the character. you dont watch one episode and dismissed it as boring. no wonder films like sucker punch are made. this is an epic not only worth watching but also worth understanding. i know, i know the understanding part makes it boring.