Great Scott! Counting Down The Office's Top 32 Most Memorable Michael Moments (Day 2)

And TVLine’s “Goodbye, Michael Scott” countdown rolls on…

It’s Day 2 of my 32 Most Memorable Office Moments extravaganza, and things are not getting any easier, folks. The clips are funnier, the laughs are bigger, and — if you’re anything like me — the thought of losing one of TV’s greatest characters (and Steve Carell) this Thursday (NBC, 9/8c) is becoming increasingly unbearable. But let’s get to it: Is your favorite Scott-ism on this list?

Michael Moment #24: A winning soundbite!
Episode: “Conflict Resolution,” Season 2
Here’s Why: Tired of Toby’s style of dealing with work woes, Michael implements his own brand of conflict resolution. The result: Knowledge that when faced with any problem in life, a “win-win-win” outcome is always most desirable — even if it means forcing your employee to wear a poster with sax-playing babies on it.

Michael Moment #23: Willy Wonka invades Scranton
Episode: “Golden Ticket,” Season 5
Here’s Why: Michael has an extra-orrrr-dinary promotional idea, which ultimately ends up falling flat. Even so, it delivered the pure childlike “whimsy” he’d hoped for, thanks to a top hat and a goofy accent.

Michael Moment #22: Proof that Sharpies are always good to have on hand
Episode: “A Benihana Christmas,” Season 3
Here’s Why: Before Holly Flax, Dunder Mifflin’s main man had a rough go of it with the ladies. However, there was one time he and the guys met some PYTs at a Benihana Restaurant and escorted them back to the office for some holiday fun. Oh, did I mention that the two girls looked very similar, so Michael secretly marked one of their arms to keep tabs on his date? Both shameless and hilarious — a perfect Michael moment.

Michael Moment #21: Michael’s “Motivational Dance Contest”
Episode: “Booze Cruise,” Season 2
Here’s Why: What happens when the Lake Wallenpaupack Cruise Ship captain tries to take away Michael’s microphone rights? He breaks out into dance, duh!

Michael Moment #20: Delusions of grandeur
Episode: “Scott’s Tots,” Season 6
Here’s Why: This is hands down Michael’s best worst moment. After promising to put a class of underprivileged children through college some 10 years prior, the time has come to let them know that he won’t actually be able to follow through. It is pathetic and painful, but at the same time, it came from a place of goodness — like a majority of Michael’s flubs.

Loading video...

Michael Moment #19: The best “ultimatum” video ever
Episode: “Product Recall,” Season 3
Here’s Why: Michael takes on the local Scranton media after an obscene watermark accidentally pops up on a paper shipment. Obviously, this is not really a huge issue, but the Dunder Mifflin boss swears that “they’re trying to make [him] an escapegoat,” and responds with the ultimatum of a lifetime. Unnecessary, but effective.

Michael Moment #18: A speech worthy of 100 Grand
Episode: “Business School,” Season 3
Here’s Why: Ryan bestows the greatest gift imaginable upon Michael — the gift of speaking to his business school class. Per usual, he does not take his duties lightly. In fact, he uses candy bars to… whatchamacallit… oh, yeah, deliver his message.

Michael Moment #17: Yankee Swap
Episode: “Christmas Party,” Season 2
Here’s Why: After buying an iPod for his Secret Santa recipient and receiving a handmade oven mitt in return, Michael changes the office Christmas gift exchange mid-game to the sometimes mean-spirited Yankee Swap. Personally, I can’t believe I didn’t rank this moment higher on the list, as it’s the one that made me fall head-over-heels in love with The Office.

Loading video...

Michael Moment #17.5: Reverse Psychology
Episode: “Christmas Party,” Season 2
Here’s Why: One of the best soundbites to ever come from Michael Scott, take a listen and find out everything you ever wanted to know about reverse psychology.

Check back Wednesday as TVLine counts down even more of Michael Scott’s most memorable moments. And don’t forget to hit the comments with your personal faves!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Commentary, Lists, Video

1. BJ says:

I agree about Yankee Swap! It was also the episode that made me fall in love with the show.

• Callmefilmgeek says:

Me too! Having been such a fan of the original version, I was sort of ambivalent about this American version and was just sort of watching because nothing else was on. But the moment Michael Scott opens his oven mitt, stands up and walks out of the room, I was in love.

I’m hoping The Dinner Party is the #1 Michael Scott moment. That episode was the closest I’ve ever seen the show get to the painful awkwardness of the original series.

• BJ says:

I have a feeling that Michael kissing Oscar might be near top. I also like anything from the first Halloween episode where Michael had to fire someone is on the list.

2. Stana says:

It doesn’t get better than when he hit Meredith with his car. “Everyone IN the car was FINE, Stanley.”

Or the giant check for rabies awareness?

3. Brad says:

Thank you Steve! And thank you Megan!

4. Jessabean says:

Personally, I would have put the motivational dance higher. When that first came on, I laughed so hard I hurt myself… and I’ve been a fan ever since. On the Season 2 blooper reel, there is a long, extended version of that dance where everyone just breaks down laughing, including Steve Carrell. My favorite Michael moment.

5. Carrie says:

The booze cruise is a great one. I also love when he shows up to work in a women’s suit he found in a bargain bin and thought was a men’s suit and his reaction when Meredith gets drunk at the Christmas party and flashes him. :)

6. TD says:

Oh my god, the dance number on the booze cruise. The outtake from that scene (on the DVDs for that season) is glorious, because it shows how hard everyone was trying not to laugh during filming (and how hard they did laugh as soon as the director said, “cut”).

7. Teresa says:

Megan, thank you for making this. Althought it had to be hard (That’s what she said)

8. Justin says:

When everyone in the office is trying to set michael up on a date- ” Can a normal sized rowboat support her phyllis? “

9. Justin says:

When everyone in the office is trying to set Michael up on a date ” Can a normal sized rowboat support her Phyllis? “

10. Deezus says:

The motivational dance was good. Gervais’ dance on the BBC version may be even funnier. Michael burning his foot on the Foreman grill and then demanding that he be treated as a handicapped person was one of my favorite moments. Plus Dwight gets a concussion in that episode and becomes Bizarro Dwight for a day.

11. “The Scarn,” “Little Kid Lover,” and “I didn’t go to high school, but neither did Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, or Tracy McGrady” are three amazing Michael Scott moments that come to mind.

• Hello says:

its i didnt go to business school, not i didnt go to high school. Kobe, lebron and mcgrady all went to high school.

12. Will Roman says:

1) Michael’s cry of pain when Dwight punches him in the stomach — “The Fight”

2) Michael’s cry of pain upon discovering Toby has returned — “Frame Toby”

Come to think of it, maybe every insult Michael has given Toby, like “Toby will now be doing his presentation and hopefully he won’t screw this up like everything else in his life.”

13. barbiedoll says:

They are all great, but I really hope to see my ultimate favorite Office moment when Dwight has a fire drill……….classic Michael leadership.

14. Sherri says:

A man pays $5 to see a woman of the night and gets crabs. The next night he goes back to her and complains – she says to him what did you expect lobster.

15. Sherri says:

Jo’s last day – Michael calls her “honey-pile.”

16. KD says:

Michael’s reaction to seeing the IT guy coming in from the window of his office is one of my favorite things ever. “There’s no time to think about if this is real!”

17. lace says:

The Golden Ticket was so typical of Michael’s other plans that weren’t thought out, and just equally as funny.

One of my favorite episodes is the bring your kid to work-day and Michael totally charms Toby’s daughter. Poor Toby! :D