Glee's Jayma Mays Dishes on 'Wemma's Future, Lesbian Crushes, Nationals and More!

Wemma fans, rejoice! Glee‘s delightful Jayma Mays — that’s Emma Pillsbury to you — shared some very hopeful intel about McKinley High’s “Will They/Won’t They?” exes during a recent chat with TVLine. Actually, no topic was off limits during our talk with Mays — and that includes same-sex costar crushes, Emma’s OCD breakthrough and the Emmy buzz surrounding Tuesday’s Emma-heavy “Born This Way” episode (Fox, 8/7c).

TVLINE | Lots of Wemma scoop to get to, but since tonight’s episode is sort of their jumping off point to rekindling the romance, let’s start there.
“Born This Way” is actually a really great episode for Emma. Will comes up with this idea in the beginning that we’re all born the way we are, and we should be happy with that. But Emma takes that to believe that [having] Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is who she is and it’s who she’s supposed to be — she should be happy with that, not really wanting to confront the fact that she has an issue that can be helped. He coerces her into seeing a therapist. We saw in the last episode that she finally realized that she ruined a marriage over this, so for her, it’s really the first time she confronts it as a real problem. And even though she goes into the therapist reluctantly, she comes out thinking maybe she can make a change.

TVLINE | Any chance Emma is involved in the big “Born This Way” musical number?
Emma actually helps out with the costumes for the “Born This Way” number. This is definitely something she wants to be involved with. The first scene in the episode, Emma and Will are talking and she says something about “being born this way,” so that spurs Will’s imagination to do this Gaga anthem. And then he asks her to join because he realizes that she may be able to benefit from this lesson as well. There are actually no more musical numbers this season for Emma that I’m aware of…so far.

TVLINE | You know there’s Emmy buzz surrounding your performance in “Born This Way,” right?
First of all, the whole Emmy buzz thing is terrifying. I just don’t understand. [Laughs]

TVLINE | It’s a compliment!
It’s very humbling; I just never know how to react to that. I start acting like a five year old and I have no more speech.

TVLINE | How was it working with Kathleen Quinlan? What does she bring to the story as Emma’s therapist?
Not to be too “thespian” or anything, but coming home from work that day, I called my manager right away and gushed about it being one of the most fulfilling days of work I’ve ever had. There’s something that Kathleen brings to the table that is so real, and for Emma, it was so important for that moment in therapy to be very soft and real, and to not make fun of it anymore. She had such a motherly quality about the way she dealt with that scene as a therapist, that it really made that moment so special for me. And I don’t know if it would have been with any other actress playing that part. There’s a switch there that Emma makes in that scene with Kathleen — that finally OCD becomes something different.

TVLINE | Will we continue to see Emma implement the tools she learns in therapy into her daily life?
We haven’t filmed that much since, so I can’t predict where the writers are taking her. But I do think that she is convinced enough in that moment with the therapist that this is something she’d like to pursue, working on getting better with her OCD issues. She realizes that maybe she doesn’t have to be ashamed about it.

TVLINE | The Glee cast is shooting in New York this week — any chance we’ll see Emma head to the East Coast for Nationals?
I still don’t know the answer to that question [Laughs]! I know it sounds bizarre, but I honestly do not know. I promise.

TVLINE | I believe you! But are you hoping you’ll get a last minute call to go shoot in New York this week?
Oh my gosh, yes. I would love to. Emma loves those kids so much, so any time she can support them, she will. That being said, New York for her might be OCD-overload. If she’s trying to get better, I can just see the therapist screaming “no, not yet!” They would have to wrap her in a bubble suit. I can’t imagine her being on the streets of New York City. Poor girl…

TVLINE | So no New York for now, but what about any cute Emma/Will moments in the upcoming prom episode?
There is no Will/Emma in the prom episode. That is all about the children, as it should be.

TVLINE | You have officially broken the hearts of Wemma fans around the world.
Oh nooo [Laughs]. I totally get that. And there’s a part of me that wants to be a part of that as well. But when you think about the character and what she’s been through, and what Will’s been through the past couple of years, the writers are really smart. First of all, you want people to want more, you don’t want to shove it down their throats. But I also feel that it’s smart to take things slow — it would be weird if they were right together again. But I know all about Wemma love — you do not have to tell me.

TVLINE | What about some cute, jealous April/Emma moments when Kristin Chenoweth returns?
First of all, I love this lady. I have such a crush on her. Even though she’s not and I’m not, I wish we were both lesbians. That’s what I wish. [Laughs] I kind of follow her around on set when she’s there… April and Emma don’t have any interaction, but I walk in on Will and April when they’re singing. Emma overhears April asking Will to hit the road with her, which is obviously a bit devastating for her. But Emma is the most positive, encouraging character that I know, so there’s a very big part of her that wants Will to go follow his dream of performing.

TVLINE | Does that maybe lead to a sweet moment for Wemma fans to look forward to?
There is one, but I don’t know exactly what he ends up deciding to do. Even though Emma and Will want to be together, they also want the best for each other, so Emma rightly feels that she should encourage the best for Will. That’s what’s so nice about their relationship. They’re good for each other, aren’t they? They’re nice to each other! [Laughs]

TVLINE | What do you want to see happen for Emma in Season 3?
I would never say what I want the writers to do, because they are way more clever than I am. But I imagine that this transition of Emma really tackling the OCD would continue through Season 3. That would be a guess of mine. And for me, it would be a nice thing to play. Even just the little things of seeing how her office may transform and how she dresses is going to be really interesting. That one little change of her seeing a therapist could catapult a whole multitude of ideas in everything she does.

Comments (50)

• Can’t stand her. I want Terri to beat her @$$!!

Comment by AlistairCrane – April 26, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish Terry beat your @$s up insted

Comment by Emma – April 26, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s kinda pathetic considering I am a real person and Emma and Terri are fictional characters.

Comment by AlistairCrane – April 26, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Big Boobies!

Comment by Betsy Loo Scooby Doo – April 26, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • YOUR pathetic, taking this show seriously. lmao!

Comment by operationitssofluffy!! – April 26, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Actually Operation… it is ‘you’re’ not ‘your’… other than that.. love the name :)

Comment by Le sigh – April 26, 2011 10:01 PM PDT
  • I just wish more Emma (and other original cast) to have more screen time.

Comment by Jeremy – April 26, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jayma seems just as sweet as Emma. I’d have been lucky to have her in my high school.

Comment by John Berggren – April 26, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emma is my favourite character and I am so glad that she is getting a bit of character development at long last. I really can’t wait to see her journey and hopefully her friendship with Will, will build up again.

Comment by kelly – April 26, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a fan of Will & Emma… Don’t care if they are together or not!

Comment by silly – April 26, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well then don’t read the article.

Comment by lyd – April 26, 2011 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks so much for that interview! Jayma is so sweet and funny. Can’t wait for her performance in BTW.

Comment by June – April 26, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “I have such a crush on her. Even though she’s not and I’m not, I wish we were both lesbians. That’s what I wish.”

…I’ll be in my bunk.

Comment by I_Captain Blanco – April 26, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad to see that I wasn’t the only one who came up with a tantalizing visual when that was mentioned ;-)

Comment by Jason – April 26, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES this all sounds so amazing, I can’t wait for all the Wemma. Not sure if I believe her about the prom because she has misled many fans in the past to protect the storyline.

Comment by Naomi – April 26, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone else just not care about Will/Emma anymore and find it totally disgusting that they didn’t have her sleep with her HUSBAND just so Will can end up popping her neatly-washed cherry?

Comment by v – April 26, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. It’s sickening.

Comment by AlistairCrane – April 26, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Then u,g@ no taste… :-P

Comment by Daisy – April 26, 2011 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would find it disgusting if they had her sleep with her husband when she clearly wasn’t emotionally/mentally ready for that step in her life. It was the same with her getting married. She wasn’t ready and it shouldn’t have been done.
      Emma is a fragile character and some hesitation in that area of her life would be expected. Not disgusting. At least she didn’t force herself, only to regret it later.

Comment by j – April 26, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • quite the opposite actually, i was gonna be mad if she lost her virginity to anyone except will. i guess we are all entitled to our own opinions :)

Comment by britt – April 26, 2011 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But then why is it okay for Will to sleep around if he’s really in love with Emma? Why must the woman remain chaste? Yucky standards.

Comment by Nerdista – April 26, 2011 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • while i agree that is a prevailing standard, and is yucky, it isn’t accurate in this case. will didn’t sleep around. he made out with shelby. and he did sleep with his ex-wife, to his regret, but i am pretty sure that was after emma started dating carl. also, in this case, the women remains “chaste” because she has ocd.

Comment by murley – April 26, 2011 11:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh my god, it’s not because she’s a woman! It’s because she’s not ready to have sex and Will is. And she’s not ready because of her OCD, not because of her gender.

There are tons of female characters on this show who are sexually active and even aggressive, so your point doesn’t make any sense. Does every female character have to subvert stereotypes and be a poster child for feminism?

Comment by sadini – April 27, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First off, I have to admit to Jayma Mays being one of my top 5 celebrity crushes. She just always seems like a cute innocent down home kind of girl.

Unfortunately, though, there are so many different things going on in Glee that I no longer feel a push for Will and Emma to get together like I once did. When she came out and said that her marriage was getting annulled I didn’t feel anything because we haven’t been involved in that relationship. That whole subplot felt contrived and there was no payoff when she told Will about it.

Comment by Jason – April 26, 2011 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for more Wemma although I think Jayma is lying about no Wemma in Prom.

Comment by Amanda – April 26, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just read the whole article in her voice, gleeeek.

Comment by Anna Rose Warren – April 26, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg!! Reply 2 this if u think that Mathew Morrison is HOT!

Comment by Smiles – April 26, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you seen his abs?! Wowza! And thats what you missed on Glee…

Comment by Me – April 27, 2011 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boobie!

Comment by Betsy Loo Scooby Doo – April 26, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they wud be gud 2gether :) :p

Comment by emma byrne – April 26, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not a fan of emma and will he should get back together with april. emma deservise more than will he isnt handsom enough for her

Comment by avery – April 26, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever you do please get rid of Gweneth…its supposed to be about the kids like it said in the interview, not the wanna be singing career of some old has been!!

Comment by Ken – April 26, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more. She’s boring, but some how manages to be ridiculously fake and over the top. Also, I find her relationship with Will just plain annoying.

Comment by Mak. – April 26, 2011 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cant stand Paltrow. Would love to see more real Broadway stars of a certain age rather than washed up movie actresses suddenly feeling they can sing.

Comment by Me – April 27, 2011 04:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m reading the comments and cant help but laugh at the negative comments that certain people have left. This is just a show, not real people.”Can’t stand her. I want Terri to beat her @$$!!” <—example A

Comment by operationitssofluffy!! – April 26, 2011 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still love the possibility of Will and Emma getting together. I love them together. The fact that Emma didn’t have sex with her ex is pretty silly, but so are so many other things about the show…so just go with it!

Comment by alo – April 26, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Therapy might change the way she dresses?! Noooooooo! Look, I’m a GUY, and I can’t get enough of her outfits (and yes – I said outfits). Don’t change, Emma! :)

Comment by TurnInMyGuyCard – April 26, 2011 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I predict things will go well with Will and Emma at Prom and Terri will show up pregnant. GASP!

Comment by Noodle – April 27, 2011 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I predict your an idiot. You do realize that right now Terri would be 6 months pregnant by now right?

Carl confirmed it has been 4 months in Sexy that Emma and Carl got married in SE.

Will and Terri had sex in early November, you do the math moron. Not plausible for her to be pregnant this late and not even she knows.

Comment by Jane – April 27, 2011 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ew. So hostile. Relax.

Comment by Me – April 27, 2011 04:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • people who don’t know the difference between “your” and “you’re” are not in a position to be calling others idiots.

Comment by DUH – April 28, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yurr all stupid, god stop fighting. blaine and kurt were super cute in this episode!!!! :D

Comment by jojo juno – April 27, 2011 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why there is Emmy buzz around her performance. If anyone should be getting nominated, It’s Naya. She has stepped her game up more than anyone else in season to.

Jane Lynch may get nominated because she is defending champion, but I honestly don’t think she deserves it this year.

Comment by John – April 27, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @John, I agree with most of your comments. However, I’d like to add that it’s not Jane’s fault that she doesn’t deserve an Emmy this year. The writers have not given her much good material to work with. She’s done her best with sub-par writing.

Comment by Tulip – April 27, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jayma Mays and Naya Rivera were perfection in this episode. I hope both of them will get nominated because they truly deserve it.

Comment by F. – April 27, 2011 09:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jaymamazing!!! Love her. She seems so sweet.

Comment by R – April 28, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *AND agreed Jayma was great in Born This Way but Naya totally stepped it up more than anyone else. She is awesome.

Comment by R – April 28, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MORE WEMMA, BRING IT ON!!

Comment by Emily – April 29, 2011 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i Think will shuester stay in lima Ohio because he will miss his kids teaching about music in glee club that makes him more fammous
    already is and for apirl rhodes she will hidding off to brodway by herself and find her man she been looking for and for emma she would having a baby with carl howell and that’s it

Comment by Georgia Lawson – May 2, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post