Dancing With the Stars: Did the Right Couple Go Home This Week? Take Our Poll!

I’ll admit it: Sometimes I get a little impatient when it comes to Dancing With the Stars‘ Tuesday-night festivities. Really, a one-hour “Road to the Finals” recap, followed by an additional hour-long telecast, just to tell us which sparkly couple got the lowest combined total of viewer votes and judges’ scores? Certain weeks, sitting through the likes of some benign chart-topper and the DWTS Dance Troupe is akin to those DVD previews you’re not allowed to skip.

But tonight, DWTS packed enough action into its two-hour running time to distract me from my weekly “Will Kirstie survive?” palpitations. After all, what reality TV fan wasn’t just a little curious to see a DWTSAmerican Idol summit in the form of a performance by recently/shockingly evicted Idol star (and rumored object of Marc Ballas’ affections) Pia Toscano? Especially when her rendition of “I’ll Stand By You” served as the backdrop to a dancing duet by Ballas and fellow pro Karina Smirnoff? Throw in a boy band smorgasbord — an appetizer of Hanson, followed by a heaping meal of Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block! — and this is what I call must-see TV. Or, in other words, smart counter-programming to Fox’s supersized Glee and NBC’s premiere of The Voice. Bring it on!

Idoloonies Interview: PIA TOSCANO on Her Dream Rap Duet,
Love of Ballads, and That Ghastly Jumpsuit

And did they ever. The first hour was a tad bloated, with insights from old favorites such as Donny Osmond, Kyle Massey, Jennifer Grey, Drew Lachey, Gilles Marini, and even Bristol Palin. But then the fun really began. Just seconds in to Hour No. 2, NKOTBSB (all nine of em!) hit the stage to perform “Don’t Turn Out The Lights,” and returned later for some nostalgia: “I Want It That Way” and “Step By Step.”

Though my old impatience returned briefly during that schlocky royal wedding-inspired “Stand By Me” dance, all was forgiven as a resplendent Pia tore spectacularly through the Pretender’s epic power ballad, and Mark and Karina tore up the floor. “Everything happens for a reason. I’m in a good place now, it’s all good,” Pia modestly explained when Tom Bergeron asked her how in the heck she got booted from Idol so early. But is Mark a good kisser?, asked our sly host. “He’s a wonderful person,” was Pia’s diplomatic answer.

Okay, not exactly a juicy sound bite, Pia, but way to stay classy! Anyhow, with that out of the way, here’s the real moment of truth — tonight’s results:

Chris Jericho and Cheryl Burke
Ralph Macchio and Karina Smirnoff

Chris Jericho and Cheryl Burke

“It’s actually good timing that I got eliminated because I have to fly over to England for the royal wedding,” joked Chris, who joins Mike Catherwood, Wendy Williams, Sugar Ray Leonard and Petra Nemcova on the DWTS Season 12 sidelines. “I’m proud of all the dances we did and I’m proud to show that a WWE guy and a rock n’ roll singer can go this far and do this.” Added Cheryl: “You’ve really exceeded my expectations every single week and I’m so proud of you. You’ve turned into an amazing dancer and an amazing friend.” We’ll miss you, Chris!

And with that, it’s your turn. Did Pia blow you away with her performance? Can the remaining six dancing duos actually go debacle-free next week?? Sound off in the comments, and let us know in our poll if the right couple went home! –-Mitch Rustad

1. Nicie says:

Pia was fantabulous, Idol really screwed up!

• padncmstr says:

Watching and listening to Pia sing compared to the front running girl on Idol (Lauren) and Haley is just really sad. She is LEVELS ahead of them…so much better!

• amy says:

Pia does have a great voice. That being said she is a one trick pony. All she ever does is ballads. I see her being like Celine Dion and just having her own little show in Vegas

• Tuzo says:

I’m no Celine Dion fan but I would think that most female singers would kill for the kind of success she’s had. e.g. 200 million albums sold.

2. Diana says:

Where is the ‘Still not acknowledging it wasn’t Kendra’ option? Girl needed to go home 2 weeks ago.

• Stacie says:

True. Who is voting for this girl. Was she better than last week? Sure, but she is easily the weakest of the bunch and her attitude hasn’t been so great to put it nicely. Unless something crazy happens she should go next week. Chelsea is the lesser known of the stars but is killing it right now, Ralph and Kirstie are obvious fan favorites, Hines is one of the better dancers and Romeo is definetly growing. So Kendra seems like the obvious one to go, but if Chelsea has a bad week she could be in some danger as well.

• Sabrina says:

Totally agree, I am calling it the “Bristol Effect” people are keeping her because she is just so unlikeable and bad. I feel bad for Louie forced to put up with her each week. Really hope she goes next week.

• PAdncmstr says:

Not that I disagree with kendra going home weeks ago..but the Bristol effect is more like Kirsty…she is lethargic and really cannot dance…but she gets votes and undeserved scores.

• Ali says:

No, the Bristol effect was all about Bristol’s attitude, she never looked happy dancing, but her mom’s fans pulled her through anyway. Kendra’s got the same bad attitude issue. Kirstie at least looks like she’s having fun.

• Capt. Obvious says:

Apparently some people like Kendra… they’re also the folks who will give anyone the benefit of the doubt and usually aren’t so judgmental.

3. GG says:

I’m still mad as heck about Pia’s elimination on Idol! Man, can that girl sing! And beautiful too. Glad she is in a good place now.
    Regarding tonight’s elimination: It should have been Kendra! I wasn’t ready for Chris to leave yet. But he was very gracious and I’m glad he will get to see his kids now.
    And as far as NKOTBSB, seeing my crush from 23 years ago sure did make me feel OLD! lol (but I have to say that they are still looking good, even if the music was just “ah-ight”)

4. I can't hear you over the sound of my wailing says:

Who is voting for Kendra???? She is a bratty obnoxious beee-atch. I don’t get it.

• BRETT says:

I don’t know how you guys don’t get this. She has been on TWO successful reality shows and is currently filming the new season for her show. She sells magazines. She sells out club appearances. She has numerous endorsements. A LOT of people obviously like her, just because you don’t doesn’t mean you have to play the ignorance card and not understand how she’s making it through. THINK.

5. Karen says:

As far as the Monday night dances went, yes, the right one went home. I still don’t like Kendra. Even though she did a nice job with her samba, I was hoping she would go. I’m not really a fan of the Karate Kid, either. There really is something kind of creepy with his hands when he dances. I also think he takes himself far too seriously.
    Pia did a great job. Idol has really gone downhill this year. They’ve blown it with the judges and Iovine….and as a result, Pia is out of the running.

6. Donna says:

When is Kirstie Alley going to go home and stop overtaking this whole show with her silly cougar schtick that she manages to pass off as dancing? I’m guessing never since Carrie Ann has said she wants her in the finals.

• Karen says:

I’d like to see her in the final too. She’s far more entertaining than some that are left.

• V says:

When are people going to stop getting down on Kirstin? Her dance this week was fantastic, far better than Chris Jericho’s. They were right when they said she has had to overcome a lot mentally with the two mishaps she has had this season, and Monday night’s performance really showed just what she is capable of.

But if Kendra doesn’t get voted off next week, I’m gonna probably start throwing things at the TV. I just can’t stand the woman.

7. Day says:

I’m sad that they booted Jericho off before Kendra, Kirstie, and Master P’s kid. I thought he had talent and drive, and once he got rid of the super-cheesy smile from weeks one and two, he was quite a showman.

[Also, I like seeing the WWE guys out of the ring, in other situations.

8. missy j says:

It is way past time for Kendra to go home! She is HORRIBLE.

9. Paisley says:

Like Chris said, at this point the contestants are all pretty good. He had a so-so performance and the scores were not enough to keep him around …. And dis/like Kendra as you might, she did an energetic, memorable Samba and deserved to stay. As far as the show tonite, WOW. I hadn’t heard Pia sound as amazing on Idol as she was on DWTS tonite. She looked more relaxed and beautiful than ever. And although the friendship with Ballas might be some major sketch, I enjoyed the whole love thy neighbor feeling (idol vs DWTS). The 90’s boy bands were perfect for Guilty Pleasures week (so much better than last wk’s hokey America theme). And I did get misty-eyed when theStars of Dance older lady gently kissed her man/tree goodbye……reminded me of the film UP…..Overall, one of the best results shows I have seen. Nice

10. Notformetosay says:

Kendra is still there??? Kendra go home, the drool coming out of Len’s mouth is making me ill.

Okay, I admit Pia sounded good. But seriously….did she ever sing that song on Idol? Not really. Nevertheless…her dress was way too tight and there is not a soul around who doesn’t know that her newly found relationship with Mark Ballas is the only reason she’s on DWTS and the sudden reason he’s in the audience at Idol. We are getting inundated with the Mark/Pia tie in.

NKOTB and BSB were fun. More fun than Hanson. Good to see Joey McIntire back on the show.

• Sue says:

Yes, she did sing that song on Idol…twice, though for obvious reasons when she sang it on her elimination night it was a little rough due to the emotion of just having been booted!

11. Joann says:

There’s one thing you neglected to mention — can we start a petition to get Donnie Wahlberg on a season? The boy can move!

• Sam2 says:

Where do I sign?

• GG says:

I am loving him on Blue Bloods, which is a CBS show, so I doubt they would let him compete on an ABC show simultaneously, which is too bad, because I would love to see him on Dancing! (wow, what a run on sentence! haha)

• Absolutely says:

Include me as someone who would like to see Donnie on this show. Apparently I am not near as surprised at his moves as some folks seem to be, but he would be fabulous on the show. (Please pair him with someone other than Smirnoff)

An even better idea – why don’t we have all the folks from Blue Bloods perform in an abbreviated DWTS event? There are a lot of lookers in that family/on the force, so why not make it fun for everyone (alas BB is not on ABC, so it probably wouldn’t work anyway!)

12. Sam2 says:

I really hated to see Chris go…didn’t even know who he was, but he charmed me with his wit…and he did the best imitation of Len I’ve ever heard….plus , his dancing was just as good as everyone else’s on the show. They’ve all had good dances and bad dances. I’m just glad Kirstie is still there. She’s six kinds of crazy, but she makes me laugh…besides , as long as she stays, I get to see Maks. :)

13. Four Stepper says:

Why is Kendra dancing for Len? Isn’t he too young for her?

14. JenInChicago says:

I don’t even watch the finale. I tune in at 8:55 and watch the elimination. The Tuesday show is a total waste of time.

15. Ali K says:

I liked the Macy’s dance. It was very Hallmark commercial-ish, but it got me. Those kids were great.

16. Terry Ivan says:

Geez. I was so disappointed to see that Pia Toscano is a rather homely woman. She isn’t pretty, at all, but she can certainly sing! It was great to see Jennifer, Bristol and the adorable Kyle return for last night’s “Road to Finals” show.

17. Trisha says:

For whatever reason Pia didn’t succeed on Idol (she wasn’t “voted off” she just didn’t get the votes) no one, and I mean no one, can deny she was out of tune every week – and last night on DWTS was no exception – both sharp and flat on that ending note. And it was another ballad! What she sang every week on Idol. The whole immediate career after Idol/relationship with Mark thing is pretty galling, but whatever, we, the public have no say.

IMO Kendra should have gone. Vulgar display. And Len made it worse. When you watch pro ballroom dance competitions the outfits are skimpy but the dances aren’t what you’d see at an airport-adjacent strip club.