Breaking: CW Renews Vampire Diaries, Supernatural, Gossip Girl and 90210

The CW has extended early pickups to The Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, 90210, Supernatural and America’s Next Top Model.

No word on the fate of bubble shows Nikita, One Tree Hill and Hellcats.

Regarding OTH, CW execs are no doubt waiting to see if lone season 9 holdout James Lafferty agrees to return next season in some capacity, as they hope he will.

Top Model, meanwhile, returns in the fall with its first-ever All-Star Edition, featuring breakout characters from past cycles.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated!

GET MORE: Renewals

1. Vanilla says:

I really wanted Supernatural cancelled! Awe man =(

• Jamie says:

Why would you wish a show cancellation? That’s just pointless. Don’t watch.

The only reason to wish a show cancelled is seeing winy fans on the internet, like Chuck. Never seen any moany SPN fans.

• Jo says:

….SPN doesn’t have whiny fans? Hmm, sure.

• Melody says:

I totally agree. If you don’t like a show, don’t watch, but why wish displeasure on all the fans who still love it. I’m a total SPN addict and very happy for the renewal.

• chucklover says:

hey now, don’t be dissing on chuck. we’re all dedicated fans that don’t want to see an awesome show end. don’t hate.

• Samantha says:

Chuck fans are not whiney. We’re dedicated and loyal and we have to be vocal about it otherwise we lose one of the best shows on TV. Don’t read post concerning Chuck if you don’t want to see our support.

• famulan1st says:

We Chuck fans maybe winy…at least the show is still on.

• t.t says:

hope to god that’s sarcasm, cause thats the only way you don’t sound like an idiot saying that statement.

• Geordiegirl1967 says:

Sorry to disappoint you Vanilla, but SPN is here to stay. I don’t understand why some people’s first reaction is to be negative. If you don’t like SPN don’t watch it. Why wish for it to be cancelled? There are lots of shows I don’t enjoy, but if others do good for them. I wouldn’t try to impose my taste on them.

Great news for the show and very well deserved. I am thrilled.

• Andrew says:

I was delighted to hear about SPN’S renewal. Even their bad shows r betta than most other “misunderstood Vamp” shows and Nerdy James Bondy show like VD and Up-Chuck! The WB would b well-served to keep Nikita and dump the Reinvented 2many times OTH!

• Dominique says:

Because we really need another reality show taking the spot of another one of CW’s best series?
      SPN isn’t going anywhere. The End.

• deangirl5802 says:

Don’t be a jerk. Try to be happy for others even if Supernatural is not your cup of tea. I’m not a fan of a lot of other shows that have been renewed but I am glad for their fandoms.

• Dane says:

Why? You like the idea of people being put out of work because you don’t like a show?

• TVD fan says:

Supernatural should’ve been cancelled a long time ago!

• Steph says:

Fudge off…one of the best shows out there with one of the largest fan bases as well!!!

• Kai says:

LOL what, SPN doesnt have a large fanbase, just a minority vocal few, very passionate but also whiny,stubborn and obsessive.

The CW could have saved supernatural from more humiliation next year by cancelling it. Then again the CW itself is an embarrassment, why the F&*% , is GG, OTH and 90210 being renewed?, those shows suck. what a disaster. Without smallville next year, SN will be lucky to retain have its measily 2million viewers, its tanking and its going down hill fast, we all know it.

• queenmissile says:

Wow, I have heard so much smurf and hating that I am appalled. First, thank you to defenders of Supernatural who have responded eloquently. Second, I am not a fan of every show, but I admit to having a diverse taste for only a few and yet I respect fans of other shows regardless. Third, making statements about a show/s or its fans without ANY actual knowledge of said fandoms is just childish. If its “not your cup of tea, do not drink it.”

• Lily says:

Clearly you have no taste! Go SPN!!!

• Sam says:

Why would you say that? Im a SPN fan and a TVD fan. Theres no reason to say that type of things!! If you dont like the show then dont watch it, dont read about it, and certainly dont say anything about it!!!!

• Readyset says:

Don’t feed the troll.

• Nic says:

Heeeeeeee, can’t say I’m sorry that you’re disappointed.

• aly says:

Yes, I agree. I can’t wait for the CW to replace SPN with yet another show about privileged whinny narcissictic teenagers. Because I just can’t get enough of watching petty little lives wimper about their petty little problems…

• Shanna says:

Don’t Like it don’t watch it.

• dorscene says:

supernatural has really gotten out of control…..call it quits guys. I have watched it from the beginning and the last year has really sucked. I no longer watch it and will not return, sorry. As for the vampire stuff, hasn’t this been done to death (no pun, just fact). Is there no more orgional ideas for tv? Smallville is (was) the only show left on the CW that I really enjoyed seeing each week and I hope reruns start soon lfter the show ends.

• already bored says:

I have to agree. I really liked first four seasons and had mixed feeling about fifth season due to inconsistant episodes but liked the ending. I watched first 6 or 7 episode of sixth season and was sad to see that the show now relies on eye candy factor more than solid plot and episodes. I think it’s better to end shows while it’s good. It might be sad and will leave longing, but at least you don’t have to see it die slow painful death. Supernatural started with very interesting premise and concepts, very consistant and solid individual episodes and overall story arc(?). Serious but witty. I will miss that.

• Rachel says:

thats ridiculous stoked supernatural wasn’t canceled!

• Lily says:

Why would you want Supernatural cancelled? This is amazinbg news, reading that they are renewed!

• erin says:

i like watching repeats of supernatural when i get back from vacation iam going to watch the two hour falne online

• Taylor says:

Wtf… thats my favorite show, I would love for a season 7.

• ky says:

SUPERNATURAL IS AWESOME…If you don’t think so…who cares

• raiders5869 says:

Another year of SPN can’t wait,you don’t have to watch it Vanilla go watch Dancing with the Stars.

• roxyquebec says:

you are an ass ! seriously just dont watch if u dont like it. us back here..think its the best show ever !!!! at least 444 more season please :)

• roxyquebec says:

you are an ass ! seriously just dont watch if u dont like it. us back here..think its the best show ever !!!! at least 4 more season please :)

2. Javier says:

AND HELLCATS??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3. Cindy says:

damn it! renew Nikita and Hellcats too!!!

4. Lisa says:

Hellcats on the bubble? same with Nikita?! I want them both back!!! love them both!!!

5. Bea says:

It’s a shame CW didn’t renew Life Unexpected.

• april-ann says:

I agree, LU had promise and could have developed into a great show (although I admit I had to stop watching because I can’t stand Emma Caulfield). I still haven’t forgiven them for cancelling Privileged.

• lorna says:

Agreed. VD and LUX fave cw shows. After Melrose and LUX demise, no new CW shows for me EVER again. Used to be a diehard OTHer but ughh not anymore.

6. Dominique says:

So next year, there will be more Dean, Castiel, Damon (and quietly praying for Elijah as well)?
    Oh yeah, now that’s what I call awesome!!

Now we need Nikita renewed as well. That show is way too kick-ass to NOT be renewed.

• m says:

Agreed, I wonder what the hold-up is. They would probably get more viewers if they switched the time slot to perhaps Tuesdays at 9:00pm where they didn’t have to compete against Bones on FOX & Grey’s Anatomy on ABC. I read that they have consistently had more viewers than GG, but somehow the CW hasn’t decided. My guess is that Nikita is much too slick and adult for the CW, perhaps it is on the wrong network.

7. Deborah Alves says:

And we’ll have Supernatural and Tyra next season. Guilty and not-so guilty pleasures all the way :).

8. ken says:

:) yay! TVD, GG, and 9-0 are back FANTASTIC!

9. Kelly says:

I don’t understand why the CW renewed GG & 90210 when their ratings are horrible! UGH! F U CW if you don’t renew Nikita!!!!!

• Liz says:

You really think CW goes by rating (uhm half of the time the spanish soap operas are beating it in the ratings). I pretty show they pick to renew are show on fan bases rather than ratings. Obviously if its really low they don’t renew it. But shows like GG and 90210 have a religios fan base so they won’t go anywhere anytime soon.

• Gio says:

“90210” has always been 1st on most DVRd shows so ppl DO watch, just can’t/not possible watch live. And if it keeps up the good streak of episodes during these last 3 then it’s definitely a good sign

• Rob J. says:

Yes, it’s true that the CW’s ratings suck in general — that’s been true since its parent netlets, The WB and UPN, first started. But ratings aren’t even remotely the only type of audience measurement that factors into a network figuring out if a show is going to be profitable or not. Really, if ratings *were* the only thing, the entire network would be long gone because the CW loses tens of millions of dollars each year. HOWEVER . . .
      The CW’s corporate parents, Warner and CBS, make waaay more than enough money via profits from sales from downloads, streaming, DVD sales/rentals, syndication and foreign sales — and from, of course, merchandising. Essentially, the two studios are using the network as a loss leader — therefore, if/when a low-rated-for-the-CW series shows any sort of life via iTunes and/or streaming, they’re more likely to stick with it. Which is why LUX was cancelled. I liked the show, but it flatlined.
      Yes, Nikita is low rated and I will be greatly annoyed if it doesn’t get renewed, there are a few signs that Nikita’s outlook isn’t as grim as it looks at first glance. First, Supernatural isn’t likely to move from its Friday night timeslot, so it needs to be teamed with a genre show in Smallville’s 8pm timeslot. Second, Nikita is the fourth iteration of the Nikita concept (including two movies, the French “La Femme Nikita” and American “Point of No Return” and the long-running La Femme Nikita syndicated TV series from the late 90’s/early 00’s.) The show is starting to prove itself to fans of the previous versions. Third, since it’s a genre show, it has growing potential to reach genre fans, who are really, really easy to persuade to buy merchandise related to said genre shows and movies. Fourth, The CW has ten timeslots. Five shows have been renewed, Smallville is leaving and Wednesdays’ pre- or post-Top Model timeslot (depending on which hour of Wednesdays the new episode airs — and it’s flipped every so often) has been a black hole ever since Top Model premiered years ago. Even when (not if) One Tree Hill is renewed and if/when Nikita and Hellcats are renewed, the net will still have two hours of the week to fill. That two hours is a LOT when you’ve only got a ten hour schedule and your new-series development slate is showing some problems (for instance, a medical-family pilot starring Rachel Bilson has been testing poorly).
      I think it’s absolutely safe to say that at the very *least* either Nikita or Hellcats will be renewed. And if I had to guess, I’d say it’s highly likely that they’ll both get renewed.

10. Linda says:

I AM ECSTATIC ABOUT SUPERNATURAL BEING RENEWED!

11. Amanda says:

Nikita please!!!!

12. Lana says:

Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy Supernatural!!!

13. Vanilla says:

Sorry for what I said earlier… I just watched Supernatural on sidereel and I’m in love with it. I’m so glad it didn’t get canceled!! It’s the best show ever, that and GG!

14. Kelly says:

GG IS HORRIBLE! That show has awful ratings and yet it got picked up!!!!! Stupid CW!

• Jamie says:

Hate to say it, but the stupid comment should be directing back.

The CW targets women 18-34. Gossip Girl is it’s second best performer. Do you research before making claims like that.

• DJ Doena says:

I’m a guy and I’m not ashamed to admit that I love GG. It’s just fun to watch their scheming and plotting and having it blown up in their faces.

15. Missy J says:

If Nikita isn’t renewed I am forming a CW boycott!

16. J says:

I am not a Supernatural fan, but good for them! I don’t follow news on the show much – I thought the creators were saying that this would be the last season? Or was that just an assumption on their part?

• Meg says:

Jared and Jensen were already signed on for a seventh season and it’s one of the higher rated shows on the CW so it was a lock for renewal. But it’s nice that they’re coming out with it early.

17. guilty pleasure says:

I hope OTH gets cancelled!!!!

18. Melody says:

I’m so happy to hear about this early pick-up of Supernatural. I expected it to happen, but its still always good to have confirmation.

19. Paige says:

YES! Supernatural & The Vampire Diaries will probably be the only two shows I’ll be watching next year, so glad to get official renewal for the both of them!

20. Dessy says:

yayy!!!!!

21. Melissa says:

I’m really wondering WHY renew Supernatural when I have heard that the show’s creator himself wanted to leave it and end it after 5 seasons.

• Air says:

The creator already did leave the show, and, to answer your other question, the CW renewed Supernatural because its ratings have been consistently good (and, often, rising) since the first post-writers’ strike season (season four). In short, SpN makes the network money, and it has a huge fanbase. Those in charge would have been stupid *not* to have renewed the show, frankly, and I have a feeling that as long as the two principal actors remain signed on, so will the CW.

Although, don’t quote me on that. I was wrong before (*cough*Buffy*cough).

• SW says:

The reason Eric Kripke (the creator) wanted to end it after 5 seasons was because when Supernatural first started, they didn’t even think that it would get past 1 season, let alone 5, so Eric planned on a 5 season story arc. As planned, that arc ended in Season 5. Therefore, he stepped down as showrunner and handed it over to Sera Gamble, who has been with the show since the beginning. However, Eric stayed on as an executive producter and still approved every single storyline that the writers came up with this season. It had nothing to do with him thinking the show should end.

• AlistairCrane says:

Thank you. A lot of people have misconstrued what Kripke’s said over the years.

• queenmissile says:

Dont forget that the finale for the show that Kripke had envisioned was NOT used in season 5 (or apparently 6), people for the show (Singer and Gamble) said that Eric’s ending is still in the plan and would “likely” be used to end the series (?7?). So, we can only speculate where this will go for season 7 and since the report is that Jensen and Jared are contracted thru season 7 who knows? Supernatural has survived through so much and with a solid cast and a neverending supply of crazy, I will be with it till whenever….. \m/

22. John says:

90210, I hope the new showrunner knows how to write and cuts down on the guest stars. this season has been awful. Ad is damaged, Dixon and Liam barely show up, etc. I like the actors though.

23. abby says:

I’ll be SO bummed if Nikita isn’t renewed. Hellcats i’m lukewarm about. It’s a cute show, but I haven’t really kept up with the whole season. But Nikita is just KICKASS!!!

24. Mary Ann says:

Oh, the news about Vampire Diaries and Supernatural is excellent! These are two of the few shows I follow closely.

25. Blakeq says:

Yay for TVD, SPN, 90210 (this season has been so good)!! Now I need Nikita and Hellcats and OTH!!

26. Mayra says:

I need more Nikita!

So glad 90210 and GG are safe. I wasn’t even concerned about TVD.

27. Mosey says:

Very, very, VERY happy that Supernatural got renewed. Ecstatic almost. Also, good call on Vampire Diaries. Only other show that is genuinely good enough for a CW renewal is Nikita. C’mon CW, make like Fox and do a Fringe already!

28. Summer Bay says:

Yeah! more Teddy.

29. Danny says:

“90210” is my favorite show — I’m SO happy. Congrats to the other shows too. I think “One Tree Hill” will be back; it’s The CW’s trademark, especially now that “Smallville” is about to depart. The network has some holes to fill, so all bubble could return. I wonder what they’ll move to Fridays.

30. Kevin says:

I’m excited Supernatural renews for Season Seven, Vampire Diaries for Season Three, 90210 for season Four and Gossip Girl for Season Five. Wish that The CW wants One Tree Hill to “go away”.

31. shari says:

Oth is my fav show I really hope we get one more season!!!

32. Jen says:

Yeah for Supernatural!

I was *pretty* sure SPN was going to be renewed, but the confirmation definitely lets me breathe a big sigh of relief!

33. Lucy says:

So happy vampire diaries and 90210 are coming back for another season! Love both shows!!

34. trev says:

NIKITA OR GTFO!

35. Carrie says:

Yay for “Supernatural”! Awesome news!!

36. AlistairCrane says:

Yay for Supernatural!!!

37. MissVampireDiaries says:

I love Vampire Diaries, but PLEASE CW, renew Nikita!

38. jana says:

yes great for supernatural this season really is my favourite
    love that it got renewed!

39. mrs.robinson says:

The cast and crew wanted one more season so I wanted one more season. Thanks CW for a 7th season of Supernatural! and thanks to you for sharing the news.

40. lolo says:

oh come on cw , renew nikita , it’s the best show on the network ,if they cancel it , then there is really something wrong with them .

41. ggny says:

i can see Nikita getting a 13 episode midseason pick up like Reaper did a few years ago

42. O says:

I don’t care about 90210 or ANTM BUT I AM SUPER EXCITED FOR THE REST!!
    SUPERNATURAL YEEEAAAAHHHHH!!! TVD!! YEAH!!
    Now I only wish for Nikita! I really like that show. I hope it’ll be renewed!!!

43. Jake says:

Seriously Gossip Girl and Vampire Diaries…Please does anyone watch that crap. Nikita all the way.

44. jazlyn says:

if nikita isn’t renewed i will be pissed its the best show i missed out on so many things just to watch it they need to renew it NOW PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. mel says:

I really hope Nikita gets renewed! I just started to watch the show and I am addicted, its sooo good! Renew please!

46. Amy says:

I’m thrilled Supernatural has been renewed. The CW should hang on to it. Out of all it’s shows it has the highest production values, sharpest writting and strongest acting. It has substance plotting wise and looks and feels quality. Besides that it’s awesome. Long may it reign.

47. g says:

Nikita <3!!!

48. CAEdge says:

YEAH!!! Supernatural is coming back! *happy dance*

Assumed Vampire Diaries would… LOVE IT TOO!

49. v.widjaja says:

I can’t believe that gossip girl is officially renewed and chuck is still in the bubble… what is going on here people??