American Idol All-Time Greatest Performance Tourney Begins With Adam, Elliott, Ruben!

Some people wait a lifetime for a moment like this. Thankfully, though, readers need not display such unmitigated patience, as today we’re launching the American Idol All-Time Greatest Performance Bracket Tournament, featuring 64 of the most goosebump-inducing, Gospel-hand-inspiring, tear-jerking moments in the 10-season history of Fox’s ubiquitous talent competition.

We’ve split our bracket into four distinct divisions: Power Vocalist/Soul Males; Rock/Country/Alternative Males; Soul/Pop Divas; and Pop/Rock/Country Divas. Every day at 1:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a new set of duels to the death that will have you joyously reliving your favorite Idol moments and tearfully cursing us for making you choose between ’em.

To kick things off, we’ve got four different matchups: Adam Lambert’s “Mad World” (his initial rendition, from Songs from the Year You Were Born) vs. Adam Lambert’s “Whole Lotta Love” (sorry, Glamberts!); Justin Guarini’s “Get Here” vs Matt Giraud’s “Let’s Get It On”; Ruben Studdard’s “Superstar” vs. Anoop Desai’s “Always on My Mind”; and Elliott Yamin’s “A Song for You” vs. Mario Vazquez’s “I Love Music.” Eight examples of Idol greatness, but only four can advance to Round 2. So ch-ch-check out memory-refreshing links to clips of the performances in question, head down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks. And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Performance Links!
Adam Lambert, “Mad World
Adam Lambert, “Whole Lotta Love
Justin Guarini, “Get Here
Matt Giraud, “Let’s Get It On
Ruben Studdard, “Superstar
Anoop Desai, “Always on My Mind
Elliott Yamin, “A Song for You
Mario Vazquez, “I Love Music

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Sherrie Richey says:

Choosing between Mad World and Whole Lotta love is like choosing between a Picasso and a Monet. I do agree with Adam only competing with himself though.

• glamz says:

• Music fan says:

Adam Lambert is an insult to music! He is a musical hack!

• John Berggren says:

We don’t really have to be nasty to the artists we don’t favor, do we? I could see if they killed your dog, but they didn’t. Really.

• Emma says:

And the sad thing is, I can’t really say if you are a troll or a fan…

I’m leaning towards a troll, though, because Adam fans don’t feel the need to ridicule other contestants. They think that Adam’s work stands high enough itself without putting others down.

• Jessica says:

Exactly. Adam Lambert is a great person who doesn’t insult others. He always has nice things to say to people and is very humble when meeting other stars. He once told two girls fighting in the audience at his concert to stop and hug because he was singing about love and fighting isn’t worth it so he really wouldn’t appreciate his fans insulting other idols.

• Pipe Down! says:

See this is why you are an embarrassment to the rest of us Adam fans. Sheesh.

• I am sorry to say you are so wrong!Elliott Yamin is the greatest Idol of all time is voice is incredible and so is his talent. Glam rock never lasts long,but R&B does! Elliott has done everything by himself with a little help. He will at the end out do all the rest! He is humble, strong character and awesome person to top it off. Elliott has more talent in his little than Adam Lambert will ever have!

• Tara says:

Whatever. The only reason Slezak did that — AND VERY WISELY I MIGHT ADD — is so that the Glamberts who have nothing better to do with their free time won’t spam the polls so Adam will win in two categories thereby eliminating two Idols who might have had a chance otherwise.

• Yo says:

Buy the PIcasso.

2. Random Medley says:

I love that Adam Lambert is competing against himself. He is in a league of his own. Whole Lot of Love was high energy and so much fun to watch but I think his first rendition of Mad World was a historic moment for the show. The lighting and sincerity, sitting alone and quiet on that stage was chilling and sent a kindred spark to my soul.

• Tuzo says:

Other Idols are also competing with themselves. e.g. Clay Aiken, David Cook, Fantasia Barino, Melinda Doolitle, Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Chris Daughtry and Kris Allen. So it’s not just an Adam Lambert thing.

• Maybelle says:

Why can’t an Adam Lambert fan enjoy this moment in time when Adam is competing with himself? When Clay and Cook and Fantasia compete with themselves then fine, but UNTIL then Adam is only doing it THIS WEEK! So Tuzo get off your highhorse and just enjoy!

• Wyatt says:

Mad World was a great performance but I had to vote for Whole Lotta Love because Adam actually overshot the lead-in to the final note of Mad World by half a pitch. A song-ending blooper like that is very unfortunate. The two most important parts of any song are the start and finish.

• algalhi says:

Yeah, Adam ruefully mentioned that ending on Larry King. It’s nice to know that even the master can make a mistake sometimes and admit it. Despite the ending, Mad World’s haunting beauty grabs me every time I hear it.

• julie says:

He has a few sharp notes in Mad World, but I sort of think they work, in a strange way. Like going slightly sharp on the word “spaces” at the end of the first verse. Sometimes it feels like it’s his tonal quality that’s scraping the edge of sharp all the way through. But is he really a half-pitch off at the end? I have listened again for that, and I think not… In any case, I also voted for Whole Lotta Love, even though I don’t care for the song, because truly, his singing was beyond great on Whole Lotta Love, and yes, imperfect on Mad World, though I understand why people prefer the “Mad World” experience.

• Wyatt says:

Julie, the last note is fine which once he lands on it, but when going up for it he actually overshoots by half a pitch which is painfully obvious. Have you considered a hearing test ;-)

3. KTCT says:

This is going to be fun!

4. Debi says:

Oh, Slezak, how I love you – but you have disappointed me here. Putting an artist up against themselves is just lame!

• John Berggren says:

I suspect this is randomized within the brackets.

• Tuzo says:

I don’t think so: all contestants with two songs are up against themselves in the first round.

• John Berggren says:

Well that would suggest fairness at least. Though it does prohibit the unlikely idea that 2 songs by one performer outclass all others.

• Suncatcher says:

You would rather Slezak put Tim Urban up against Adam Lambert?
      (Geez, I made myself laugh)!

(Wise move, Michael).

• Joseph says:

Actually , Tim Urban vs Adam Lambert does work but my suggestion would be ,, Tim Urban ABS , vs Adam Lambert look during the 1st Mad World.

• janet says:

I have to agree. I really don’t understand why you are having an artist compete against him/herself. It seems like a very unscientific and biased poll, but, hey, wth — it’s just for fun. And, other than the posters who feel the need to bash the hell out of anyone they don’t like, it’s fun! Keep it going Michael!

5. Ross Bonaime says:

In all honestly, I would vote any and all performances from Sanjaya over any of these. That man had the power to bring down American Idol!

6. jazzy says:

I forgot how great these performances were and I realize that no one has had that stand out moment since the 10 started this season.

I am especially reminded of Elliot Yamin’s song for you. So real.

7. alison says:

No need to apologize about putting two Lambert songs in the same bracket, it just means less vote splitting in later rounds.

It is a joke that Ring Of Fire didn’t make it to the list though :(

• Just Me says:

Go look at the other brackets. It’s in the pop/rock category.

• Just Me says:

Oops, sorry…my mistake, thinking of something else. Must be on crack today.

• b says:

It is? I don’t see Adam anywhere in any of the other brackets. It looks like each artist only gets one chance, or two against themselves – which is kinda silly when clearly some of them had more than two performances that were miles ahead of some of the other performances on the bracket. “Fairness” doesn’t really have a place if you’re truly trying to come up with the all-time greatest. For instance, David Cook’s Hello is nowhere to be seen, nor Adam’s Ring of Fire, nor several other performances that are widely accepted as “Idol Moments” for their respective artists.

• Dan says:

No it’s not cause it sucked.

• Tina Rasmussen says:

Yeap, Adams vocal in Ring Of Fire was phenomenal.
      And, I am dissapointed that the judges didn’t mentioned that in the show.

8. John Berggren says:

I suspect this will probably come down to MAD WORLD (Lambert) vs SUMMERTIME (Fantasia)

9. gazebo says:

Love this idea. But Adam’s picture is from when he sang “Tracks of My Tears”. How about a photo from the actual performances? Helps to remember the experience!

10. caitlin says:

Kelly Clarkson – Natural Woman and Stuff Like That There?! You’re crazy for leaving these out!

• Michael Slezak says:

They’re both part of the bracket…you have to click the full bracket link within the post and scroll to the bottom half where the 32 female players are included.

• Gib says:

You should look more carefully before you call Michael crazy.

11. Janie says:

This is by far the worst selection of best performances on American Idol.

You are pandering to a certain group of fans because they are over the top and vocal….sad to see that you didn’t use real musical info to put this together.

I look forward to the day that websites stop comparing the AI stars on polls. It just seems to flame the idol wars.

Good luck with this poll…..what a mess!!

• Tuzo says:

What performances are missing? What would you add to the list?

• TK says:

David Cook’s Billie Jean and Hello being left out seems like an egregious error.

• Abby says:

• jmarie says:

I was thinking the exact same thing! Billie Jean FTW!

• Larry Page says:

Possibly the two biggest ommisions in the tournament. I was looking forward to see just how far Hello would go in this competition. In my opinion, this tournament is a joke without either one of those songs.

• Annoula says:

I completely agree. Actually, it must have been hard to pick just two David Cook performances. Maybe there should have been a bracket just for him.

• b says:

Agreed, I think it’s far more unfair to leave out landmark performances that are clearly some of the best the show has ever been than to give some contestants more spots than others – the fact is, some contestants simply gave more of the all-time greatest performances than others!

• Ronnie says:

I don’t understand this comment and agree with Tuzo.. what would you want added? Just in this first group, non-vocal powerhouses Elliot, Matt and Justin. And I doubt many would call Anoop or Mario powerhouses.

12. blingedup.susan says:

Awwwwww, look at Ruben… Coming out there with his jersey on, grabbing the mic and just standing there and singing his heart out. Beautiful!

Makes me miss those days. If Ruben were coming out this season, he’d be pushed into a leather vest, have to descend the stairs, the fog would roll in from the sides of the stage, and as soon as he got started, 24 choir members would stomp in and try to out-sing him.

I do sometimes miss those grab the mic and sing days.

13. JVC says:

This will be fun. I saw the whole bracket, and I’m a little surprised that Stefano Langone’s performance “I Need you Now” by smokie norful isn’t up in this list. Slezak I recalled you saying that that performance is so far the best performance by a male contestant all season 10. Oh well, I’m curious to so how as the performances get narrowed down which will come out on top. But I’m getting a head of myself.

14. Erin says:

Are Glamberts just compulsively unhappy people? It seems like even when they are participating in the most harmless of online polls, or witnessing general opinions about him, they are not satisfied with anything less than full-on worship of Adam and complete domination of Adam in any poll. It’s… odd.

• Sam says:

That’s because glamberts seek validation in their lives and live through someone else’s. Strange bunch of people.

• Leigh says:

No stranger than people like you who follow Lambert around just to say something negative.

• Jess says:

Leigh, why are you assuming that people follow Lambert around just to say something negative? Is that something you’re guilty of doing? If you paid any attention, Sam wasn’t even commenting on Lambert, he was commenting on his fans. Too often his fanatical followers are the ones who wrongly assume that comments directed at his fanbase are also being directed at Adam, but they aren’t. His fans are responsible for their own actions, and their hysteria whenever Adam isn’t worshipped confuses a lot of reasonable.

15. Ronnie says:

Oh this is smurfalicious!
    I love AI, I love singing and dancing (my fave is actually sytycd). This reminder of the great moments we all watch the show for is just too much awesomeness for me to handle.
    I complained about the dated theme weeks earlier, but that is only because I love this show so much and want it to be the best it can be…
    – Adam is so great, seeing those 2 performances again gave me goosebumps… and Slash did more mentoring in 10 seconds on “whole lotta love” than Jimmy has done all year.

16. blingedup.susan says:

Oh! And I forgot to say….FUN! Love the tourney.

17. Cy says:

I liked Adam’s “Whole Lotta Love” performance, but nothing can ever top his “Mad World” for me. Sad that Anoop is losing to Ruben though. =__=

• Georgia says:

Ruben was the freakin’ winner. There’s nothing sad about losing to him or that amazing performance.

• Wyatt says:

Anoop was quite possibly the most underrated singer (not performer though) on Idol. His vocals were usually very, very good.

18. Jake says:

Elliott Yamin’s performance of “A Song For You” is probably the best male vocal the show has had.

19. Katie says:

Mad World was iconic and the clear winner during that week of competition. And Matt Giraurds Let’s Get It on Surpasses Fro’d Justin Guarini by a mile.

20. I must say, this is a very well chosen list. Like that Kendra Chantelle got some love!

Only omissions for me were Haley Reinhart’s “Bennie and the Jets,” and Stefano Langone’s “Need You Now.” Also I would have subbed in “Hello” and “Billie Jean” for David Cook, “Part Time Lover” for Matt Giraud, and “One Rock ‘n Roll Too Many” for Syesha Mercado. But I like the fact that all the contestants who mattered are represented here.

Adam’s “Mad World” was such a special moment when it happened that I really wish they’d left it intact and not made him do it on the finale and AGAIN on the Idol tour. I went to the concert and he was great but that moment in the top 8 couldn’t be recreated.

• Teena says:

Michael, I completely agree on “Part Time Lover” for Matt Giraud, and “One Rock ‘n Roll Too Many” for Syesha Mercado. My favorite Adam (solo) performance is “Born to be Wild”, though. Not that “Mad World” wasn’t brilliant. :)

21. Eliza says:

A “vocal master class” indeed. ELLLLLLLIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT FTW!

22. Teresa Celsi says:

Michael, you are evil making me choose between Adam and Adam! Especially Mad World and anything.

But, although MW was a bigger moment for me during the show (because I’m not that into Rock), my vote is going to Whole Lotta Love now. He was brilliant in both performances, but in the first, the standing ovation was at the end, and in WWL, the audience was screaming the whole time.

Also, there’s a guitar solo in WWL. Did anyone even notice that 10-15 seconds of the song was spent on that? No, because all anyone cared about was the performance.

Thirdly, unlike MW, which closed the show, this was the opener. And it opened a show where there was no dress rehearsal because the stage manager fell off the stairway of doom, and the set broke apart. The audience was barely seated in time for the show and yet Adam pulled them all together with the first note out of his mouth.

I loved seeing all the videos. Some I remembered, some I didn’t. I was slightly surprised at my choices. I thought I’d pick Matt (love him!), but Justin was great. I thought Ruben was the king of R&B, but Anoop was a little better in that one performance.

Excellent tournament idea! Can’t wait for the next one.

23. duranmom says:

Kris Allen’s “Heartless” vs. “Falling Slowly”? Slezak! That’s like “Sophie’s Choice”!

• GinaBallerina says:

LOL! It’s funny how Idol viewers lose perspective of how Idol is just a silly show. (And I don’t mean that sarcastically – I’m the same way.)

I love this tourney idea! How have we not done this before?!

• Missi says:

I would have to go with Heartless, because it was freakin’ brilliant, but if you substituted “Ain’t No Sunshine” for “Falling Slowly”, I’d have a hard time choosing.

• Katrina says:

I can’t see Kris Allen anywhere in the polls, help me out if you know what I’m doing wrong. :)

24. dgman says:

What the?…why is this even frakkin’ relevant! Bam!…Fantasia is the winner….competition over. Now where the hell is Idoloonies Sleazeboy?!?

• Lana says:

I didn’t like anything she did before or after, but Summertime was beyond brilliant. Definitely one of the best performances ever on the show!

25. Season 8 Bias says:

It’s clear that Slezak has a bias toward Season 8. 4 of the 8 performances in this contest are from Season 8.

• I hope you’re joking. Season 8 has more mentions than any other on this list because it was the most loaded with talent of any season! (though season 10 still has a chance to surpass that.)
      I couldn’t believe how balanced the list was; thought it was incredibly generous of Slezak to include 7 performances from season 9, as boring as it was.

• dp says:

I would’ve done the same, season 8 was by far my favourite season, season 7 comes is a close second for me. Those two had the most collective talent, I’d say (pretty blond chicks aside).

• Kevin says:

Yeah, completely agreed here. Season 8 doesn’t deserve three different contestants getting 2 performances apiece. Not only that, but MULTIPLE contestants are entered with the wrong performances, particularly from Season 7 (both of David Cook’s are weaker than “Hello” and “Billie Jean”, Syesha Mercado’s is much weaker than “Yesterday” or “One Rock ‘n’ Roll Too Many”, and Carly Smithson should be on for “Superstar” or “Come Together”). And don’t get me started on LaToya London only getting one entry (and it’s not even “All By Myself”!)

My bracket would have Adam (“Mad World”) vs. Bo (“In a Dream”) and Melinda (“My Funny Valentine”) vs. Kelly (“Stuff Like That There”). Those who have fond memories of recent seasons should really look at the first six–truly, they have the best performances, especially 2-6.

26. Sharkey says:

Adam v Adam – Completely unfair. To compare a beautifully sung ballad with a rock standard is ridiculous. However, I voted for Mad World, because I remember how it gave me goosebumps when I first heard him sing it. It is still magical.

Justin v Matt – Hard for me to chose because I really don’t like “Let’s Get It On.”

Ruben v Anoop – Another difficult decision, but I gave it to Ruben. He has such a beautiful and controlled voice.

Elliot V Mario – I didn’t even need to watch these performances, because like Adam’s “Mad World” and Fantasia’s “Summertime,” this was a performance I’ll never forget. Simon called this performance “a vocal masterclass.”

• musicmuse25 says:

Elliott Yamin’s “A Song For You” was also deemed a masterclass vocal by Simon Cowell…just an FYI. He remains one of my Fav Idol contestant still. I know the Glambert backlash for such a bold comment may be forthcoming!

27. kathy says:

I can’t watch Adam’s AI performances without wondering if it wasn’t Adam who has been the reason for Idol’s lackluster Seasons Nine and Ten. Simon said it! The sad thing is that no one else will ever be able to beat him. After watching his videos, everyone else just pales in comparison.

28. Victoria says:

These contests ae always fun but unfortunately they bring out the creeps and haters of the world. They’re all talented and nice people and really don’t deserve your caustic remarks. Let’s show some class and keep this fun, not ugly.

29. kellen says:

slezak, you are so evil! it’s going to be damn near impossible to pick between some of these performances. the dueling kris, allison, fantasia, and carrie songs – all will drive me insane having to pick. it’s like sophie’s choice. and don’t even get me started on brooke vs. katelyn.

30. Logistics says:

His pants during that performance alone are enough to advance him to the next round over Guarini

• GiraudSquad says:

Hahahaha so true. Plus every single time he’s performed this song since Idol it just gets better and better.

31. RTW says:

Can’t wait to see Haley’s Bennie and the Jets in next year’s bracket, am I right?

32. GeralynK says:

This is a great idea! I’ll be following Adam’s results for sure! Gives me 1 more reason to #BERT!

33. Cy says:

Btw, great bracket overall, Slezack!! :D I’m so thrilled that Melinda’s unbelievably butt-kicking “Have a Nice Day” is in there (but competing against her more popular “My Funny Valentine”… I hope ppl give “Have a Nice Day” a second listen before knee-jerk voting for MFV).

And Kiki’s “This Ain’t a Love Song!!” Yes, definitely her best performance IMO, and so incredible I actually had to stay up and give her an equal number of votes that night (along with Melinda). I think I threw a few in for Blake’s beatboxed “You Give Love a Bad Name” and Phil Stacey’s “Blaze of Glory” that night too (so in other words, I really did no one any good with my votes… =__=).

Dang, season 6’s Bon Jovi night was pretty amazing. Maybe after this “Top Idol Performances” bracket, we can do a “Top Idol Episodes” one? Along with s6’s Bon Jovi Night, I’d say s8’s 2nd Group of 12 semi-finalists night, featuring Kris’s “Man in the Mirror,” Allison’s “Alone,” Mishavonna Henson’s “Drops of Jupiter” and Adam’s “Satisfaction,” would probably be at the top of my list.

34. lah says:

The only performances I remember are the ones by Adam Lambert. I’m not a fan of any of the others so far.

35. Jim says:

I like this contest. However, I was a little surprised not to see Billie Jean performed by David Cook (Chris Cornell’s version) in the bracket. I certainly thought that that performance put Cook on the map to win the competion, which obviously he did.

• pgv417 says:

I agree completely. With the exception of this one omission, I agree with Slezaks bracket whole-heartedly. But I really think David Cook’s Billie Jean was not only his best performance, but the best performance of that entire season.

36. Jane says:

I had to def. youtube a few of these people. I’d forgotten about Mario. He’s the one who left early. I never figured out why. Anybody know?
    I never liked Anoop very much. And say what ya want about Justin, but his Get Here justified his getting to the finale. Too bad he never lived up to his potential.

• GinaBallerina says:

Mario left to sign a record contract. I had just decided he was my favorite right before he left, lol. He did have a single shortly after, something about “in your gallery.” I don’t know what happened to him after that.
      Agree about Justin. I still remember that performance and how the female contestants swooned.

37. Cat says:

We’ve got some tough decisions ahead. I mean, Jordin Sparks’ “I (Who Have Nothing)” vs. Carly Smithson’s “Here You Come Again”?! What kind of sick mind makes us decide between those two in the early rounds?

38. Adam Lambert was phenomenal, arguably the best male singer in AI history. With that said, the condescending comments from his fans (“everyone else sucks compared to ADAM!”) actually make it more difficult to properly rank and appreciate his run on the show.

I kinda think Kelly Clarkson was the best ever on AI, but I can watch a performance like Haley’s Bennie and the Jets and absolutely love it without thinking “Screw you Haley- you’re not Kelly Clarkson!”

• Mia Pia Zia says:

I wish those fans would STFU too- But I try really hard to never let ridiculous ott fans cloud my like for any artist.

• Emma says:

Half of those “fans” are trolls, anyway, at least in here. Check the few first comments to see what I mean.

39. stevenjaba says:

Is there anyway that Fantasia’s Summertime is not winning the whole thing?

40. Stephanie says:

Michael, I would also LOVE to see what your review of these performances was, at teh time of the performances. You are always giving flashbacks of the judges’ comments, so I think it would be totally boss to see a flashback of your comments!

41. Mia Pia Zia says:

Whole Lotta Love – neeedddssss our #LOVE

42. Larry Page says:

I have nothing against Alison Irahita, I even enjoyed her run during Season 8. However, I think it takes away from the credibility from this bracket that she has 2 entries in. Did she really have 2 of the 16 best pop/rock/diva performances ever? I know Slezak is very big fan of hers, but I think one of those spots could have gone to a different contestant.

43. JVC says:

Question Slezak,

Why did you choose “let’s get it on” as Matt giruad’s only performance? I thought “Part-time Lover” was his best during his run on season 8. Besides “let’s get it on” landed matt in the bottom 2 during top 10 week. Just saying.

44. agrimesy says:

. . . and the fan wars begin AGAIN, so ugly. Really, Slezak? You needed even more hits than 300+ per Idol post each week? Oh well, if it’s hits you want, then hits you’ll get. I’m here. I voted. See ya later.

45. Jamie says:

I’ll echo the Adam vs. Adam complaint…while recognizing no one could compete against him but him. :)

My only other comment is that listening to these past performances has only served to cement my opinion that the current season is sorely lacking in real talent. It is especially lacking in real passion as well.

Fun little tourney, Michael–thanks!

46. Ryan says:

The Voice > American Idol.

47. Amy says:

Adam’s performance of “Track of My Tears” was his absolute best on the show. Should’ve gone with that one!

48. Ryan says:

Adam Lambert is overrated. All the Adam love is especially ridiculous considering he couldn’t even win his own season.

• Georgia says:

He didn’t win his season due to the cheating of Arkansas. But he is doing way better than the winner so it goes to show that he was indeed more popular his season. And how many winners of Idol have been truly successful? Less than half I would say. Even Pia is now getting paid $100K to sing at a party. Looks like it really doesn’t matter where you place as long as the people are willing to pay to hear you sing. Adam was the only Idol to have a world tour on his debut album and it was mostly sold out, mid to large venues (the largest Canada over 70K). He also received multi-platinum, platinum, gold certifications around the world and he got a Grammy nomination. How did the winner of Season 8 do?

49. EAP says:

uuum, do not agree with the David Cook choices. His best performances were HELLO and BILLIE JEAN.

50. LAMBERTLUST says:

Adam is head and shoulders above anything tha thas ever been on idol!!!!!