Great Scott! Counting Down The Office's Top 32 Most Memorable Michael Moments (Day 1)

The time has finally come to kick-off our week of “Goodbye, Michael Scott” goodies, and I for one am a big ol’ mess about it. The thought of The Office moving ahead without its shameless leader (and Steve Carell, for that matter) is still kind of unbearable, but this is happening, folks, so I’ve put together a digital trip down memory lane to help ease the pain — even if just a bit.

Over the next four days, I’ll be counting down Michael’s Top 32 moments — eight per day — leading up to the departing boss’ supersized swan song this Thursday at 9/8c on NBC. Did your favorite Scott-isms make the cut?

Michael Moment #32: Dunder Mifflin’s Rent-inspired musical number, “Seasons of Michael”
Episode: “Michael’s Last Dundies,” Season 7
Here’s Why: “Yeah, OK. Well, this is gonna hurt like a motherf—er.” And just like that, a tearful Michael Scott summed up my feelings on the imminent exit of the World’s Best Boss. It could easily be argued that this moment is really a standout for the cast as a whole, but what warmed my heart most was seeing the genuine love and appreciation on Michael’s face as the musical goodbye kicked off. “Something’s happening” indeed — Michael was finally given the happy ending he’s earned over the years.

Michael Moment #31: A Dunder Mifflin dance hall dream is realized
Episode: “Cafe Disco,” Season 5
Here’s Why: It’s Michael’s downstairs dance club — what could be better? Well, when Jim and Pam — your self-proclaimed best friends — show up to join the party, life is officially good. Another (semi-)successful venture from The Scott-Man.

Michael Moment #30: The director’s cut of Dunder Mifflin Scranton’s commercial
Episode: “Local Ad,” Season 4
Here’s Why: Michael channels his inner-Spielberg and decides to direct his own TV spot for the company after guest star Kyle Bornheimer (Perfect Couples) takes a much-too-literal approach to the project. Not only does this moment provide pure Scott silliness, it showcases his unwavering pride in his branch and the people who populate it.

Michael Moment #29: Law & Order monologue
Episode: “Andy’s Play,” Season 7
Here’s Why: Dun-dun! Michael Gary Scott, a master of improv, auditions for a part in a local production of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, by recreating an entire episode of Law & Order. Need I say more?

Michael Moment #28: The end of an era… maybe
Episode: “Branch Closing,” Season 3
Here’s Why: In case you hadn’t heard, Michael Scott loves Dunder Mifflin. Sure, he’s preparing to leave the company now, but a few years ago it was all he could do to keep quiet about the Scranton branch allegedly coming to a close. It’s this kind of unprofessionalism and lack of composure that made Michael the man we so loved (and loved to hate) early in the show’s run.

Michael Moment #27: Pretzel Day
Episode:
“Initiation,” Season 3
Here’s Why: Michael Scott (and Stanley Hudson!) love a really good soft pretzel, and the fact they the free pretzel cart only comes to Dunder Mifflin once a year brings out the best and worst in the boss. Worst part: The mondo sugar rush from the “every topping” treat he inhales. Best part: The mondo sugar rush from the “every topping” treat he inhales.

Michael Moment #26: A David Brent delight
Episode:
“The Seminar,” Season 7
Here’s Why: Call it fate: During a chance meeting by the elevators, Michael crosses paths with Wernham Hogg office boss David Brent, who just so happens to be his perfect match. The chemistry between Carell and Ricky Gervais is undeniable, and this moment is simply a long-overdue meeting of the minds.

Michael Moment #25: An Entourage-infused conflict
Episode: “The Coup,” Season 3
Here’s Why: What do you do when you find out that your right-hand man has betrayed you? First, you call him out on his lies and publicly humiliate him. Then you use a little Ari Gold gold to smooth things over with a “Hug it out, bitch.” At least, that’s how Michael handles Dwight, but not until after he examines his so-called tooth work from a “dentist names Crentist.”

Check back Tuesday as TVLine counts down more of Michael Scott’s most memorable moments. And be sure to hit the comments with your personal faves!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Commentary, Lists, Video

1. Margie says:

I would have put some of these scenes higher in the list, myself. I loved the Rent song.

• Mo says:

Wow, there are so many MS moments of note. The best for me were in the early seasons: when Micheal actually showed that there was more to him than this seemingly goober of a clueless boss: 1) When Micheal showed his up to then unseen skills as a salesman to charm and keep an important account from leaving (and therefore impressing Jan and beginning that ill fated romance) in “The Client” and 2) When an “incarcerated” Micheal show some wisdom and gave a distraught Jim perspective and hope to pursue Pam in “Booze cruise” showing that perhaps Micheal isn’t as completely clueless about life and matters of the heart as he typically is. Excellent choice of the writers to give MS that depth.

2. John R. says:

Are there supposed to be clips below each definition of the episode? They are k=just black squares on my end :(…but agree with the list!

3. Jeremiah says:

I just see black pics, are there supposed to be pics or videos?

4. Guadalupe says:

I was looking forward to this but the videos didn’t work for me. I tried Firefox and Chrome.

5. chris velky says:

my favorite moment is when micheal shows up at pams art show when no one else came that’s when i knew i loved this show. They can make you hate this guy at the same time love him to. thank you for the memories Micheal g. Scott

6. Johnnie says:

Would have been really great if you didn’t have to see an ad in EVERY SINGLE video. Gets old. So stopped caring.

• lizzy says:

Really loved the “Rent” song too, although I do wish that Will Ferrell was not included in that scene. Its not that I don’t like Will Ferrell. His presence looms large when on camera and its a testament to his talent as a comedian. I guess being such a hardcore Michael Scott/Steve Carell/”The Office” fan, I simply didn’t want anything to detract from the last few moments of Michael Scott with his Dunder Mifflin family.

7. Amy says:

Well I hope the proposal is #1. It really is Michael’s best moment. I hope Lazy Scranton or Prison Mike is on the list too.

8. JDR says:

So sad that this show “jumped the shark” a few seasons ago. I keep trying but it’s not “The Office” anymore.

I agree w/ Johnnie – one commercial was all I could take. All done.

9. Arty says:

Videos didn’t work at first but I refreshed and tried again. I’m quite surprised to see these incredible moments so far down the list, can’t wait for the rest.

10. iLuvJim says:

I’m so sad I’m gonna miss michael scott :( i love the office…does anyone know when season 7 is coming out on dvd i have every other season im addicted to the office

• Brock says:

Usually about the time the next season starts. I think usually the week before. So late August/early September.

11. david kessler says:

You can put any scene down and I’ll agree with it, as I think the show is genius, but not with Gervais, who I’m hoping will not be Michael Scott’s replacement!

12. Bethany says:

I hope Threat Level Midnight ranks really high!

13. Jan Badger says:

My all-time favorite Michaelism – in the episode where he is arguing with Oscar about the demise of America and the rise of China Michael learns that the tallest man in the world is Chinese. His anxious response: “So much for hiding our secrets up high.” Classic.

14. Virginie says:

There were so many priceless Michael Scott moments!

There were so many great one-liners such as when he’s signing up for internet dating and picks “little_kid_lover” as a nickname. “That way people will know exactly where my priorities are at.”

Or when he says “no Stanley, that’s offensive, they’re not called “collard people.” lol!

I think if I had to pick only one though, I’d go with the very ending of “Survivor Man.” Michael and Jim sit down and have a little heart to heart chat while everyone else is partying. It may not be the funniest moment ever, but for me it’s always going to be the best moment, there was so much about Michael that was conveyed there.

Yes indeed, it’s unfortunate that the show turned a corner a few seasons ago, but, oh well, they had an awesome run in the first 4 seasons.

15. KBarrick says:

Can’t. Deal. With. Ads.

16. cashis king says:

Jesus people. The ads last like 10 seconds. Have a little patience.

17. SDS says:

Number 1 all time Michael Scott Moment.. Season 2 “Sexual Harassment”
    Does that include that’s what she said?? Wow, That is really hard … Do you really think you can go all day?
    Well, You always left me satisfied and smiling…
    “THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID” Best Ever !!!

18. Teresa says:

The first has to be the Michael/Oscar kiss

19. Ross Bonaime says:

If number one isn’t from “Booze Cruise” when Michael tells Jim to “never give up” when it comes to Pam, this list is null and void. That advice propelled the entire show from that moment on and is arguably my favorite scene in any television show ever. Makes me cry every time.

20. Pat says:

I just can’t believe that Steve is leaving this show. I wish him well but fear that this is a very bad move for him. I know he has made some movies but they were not the best.
    I will miss Michael on The Office…..he IS The Office. I can’t invision this show without him. I am such a big fan of this show and of Michael.
    Other than Machael making me laugh….watching the romance between Jim & Pan was something I always looked forward to. I love all the other employees…except for the guy they brought up from the warehouse…he brings nothing to the show. I will continue to watch The Office in hopes of the best…..the best being that Michael comes back for good or at least for some guest appearances.

21. Kristen says:

These moments are great! I sure hope they put Booze Cruise where Jim tells Michael about his crush on Pam. Also, where Michael buys his condo and comes back and the office has a Olympic ceremony and Michael cries (which was improv from Steve Carell). Finally, where no one shows up to Pam’s art show except Michael and it makes Pam tear up. Those are my favorite touching Scottisms.

22. Carrie says:

Of course Michael’s proposal to Holly has to be his top moment, but one of my favorites was when he showed up to Pam’s art exhibit and liked her drawing so much he wanted to buy it and put it up in the office. Poor Pam got almost no support that night until Michael showed up for her. It was sweet.

23. Uncle Shawn says:

Meg, these are great clips. But you”re missing about 26 minutes on each clip. Cade is SO bummed that Michael Scott is leaving. He doesn’t think ANYONE can replace him. He watches at least 3 episodes every day. Love you baby!

24. brianna says:

Serious with the ads on every clip? stopped watching after the first 2..

25. carmen says:

My favorite Michael Scott moment when he had the ‘Expresso Cafe/Disco” But what really got me hooked on the Office was when Dwight was assigned to do the Health Plan for the Office in Season ONe.

26. Kona says:

Great list so far, I love the countdown and will truly miss one of the great characters of our time in Michael Scott. How many of us out there would have loved to spent a day in that “Office” and had a boss like Michael for just a shift. He’s a pretty simple man with a passion for goofing off, an affection for dirty jokes, hated the corporate mentality, would dress up in costumes and of course loved fake breasts. Can it get any better than that ?

27. Jude10 says:

TV Line has officially become my favorite entertainment website. Well done!

28. Andrea says:

Two of my favorites are Minority Day where he made everyone wear signs on their head and each one had a sterotype of a certain race and they had to guess. The other would be when he burned his foot on the George Foreman grill and wanted Pam to rub butter on it.
    MS at times is like an accident you can’t look away from. I am so sad he is leaving the show.

29. Kathleen says:

Favorite Michael Scott line ever: “I’m not superstitious, but I am a little stitious”, when Michael hit Meredith with this car. CLASSIC!

30. lizzy says:

One of my favorite Michael Scott moments came at the end of the Season 5 finale episode, “Company Picnic.” After seeing Holly at the company picnic, Michael is forced to come to terms with the fact that she is now involved in a serious relationship. Although upset, he truly believes that they will be together one day when the timing is right. It was a glimpse of Michael Scott having a mature and rational moment, despite his broken heart. When stating to the camera he is willing to wait for Holly, it is then you realize that he truly is in love with Holly. I just love that scene and everything he said. It was so touching…