Exclusive

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on The Good Wife, Desperate Housewives, Smallville and More

Got the Monday blahs? Let’s see if I can perk up the start of your week with a flurry of scoops, teases and sound bites from some of TV’s hottest shows and stars.

Tarnished Gold | Sure, The Good Wife‘s Alicia has bigger fish to fry when the CBS series resumes its season on May 3 — having just learned that Peter once bedded “Leila” and all. But many viewers are still hoping that she’ll also get to the bottom of Will’s first voice messsage, the one famously deleted by Eli in the season premiere. “Obviously it’s a bombshell waiting to happen,” Alan Cumming told me. “And I actually thought that as [Alicia and Eli] get more and more friendly and rely on each other, that it’s going to come out and she’s going to bitch-slap me!” That whallop, though, will have to wait, because Cumming says that no such reveal/recourse takes place before or during the May 17 season-ender.

Good Wife‘s Alan Cumming Back for Seasons 3… 4… and 5!

Harried Housewives | Love never comes (or goes) easy for the ladies of Wisteria Lane, a rule never more true than as the seventh season of ABC’s Desperate Housewives draws to a close. Case In Point No. 1: During May sweeps (which actually kicks off April 28), Bree will meet a possible new match played by Jonathan Cake (Six Degrees). Thing is, Cake’s detective harbors one of those pesky secrets that will effectively waylay his wooing of Bree. Case In Point No. 2: By season’s end, one of the Lane’s lovelies will get word that an old flame has remarried, news that sends her on a bender and into the arms of the first available hunk. Good thing all the series’ stars are re-signed for the fall, or I’d worry the oft-scorned would get fed up and flee Fairview!

Smallville Finale RSVPs! | The truth is now out there: Lois and Clark will be heading for a wedding when the CW series’ grand finale airs May 13, and TV Guide Magazine has a first-look photo from the ceremony. I can now tell you that with the big day promising big drama, Clark should be content to know that not only will his mother, Martha (played by Annette O’Toole), be on hand for the ceremony, but so will dad Jonathan (John Schneider)  — talk about your very special guests! Speaking of curious finale reunions, I see that many fans are expecting the returning Lex to have at least one scene with his also-“resurrected” father, Lionel. Alas, a source tells me that although John Glover is in the series finale, he and Michael Rosenbaum in fact did not get to shoot any new scenes together.

Smallville Exclusive First Look Video: Lex. Is. Back!

Bones Spin-off Buzz | If you took a shine to last week’s Bones episode that introduced us to Booth’s associate who’s masterful (if not a bit kooky) at locating things, you may be wondering, as I was: If this spin-off “finds” a spot on Fox’s fall sked, is that the whole cast? Just Geoff Stults, Michael Clarke Duncan (who, granted, is almost two grown men) and Saffron Burrows? Well, I “found” the answer. Hart Hanson told me that if The Finder goes to series, there will be at least one other main character to cast: Isabelle, a law enforcement type who is also Walter’s sometime squeeze. (Calling the duo’s dynamic “more emotional than romantic,” Hanson says, “I’d like to avoid doing another ‘will they/won’t they’ series.” And how.) Who would you like see see play Isabelle? Give Hart a hand in Comments!

Bones Boss: Emily Deschanel’s Pregnancy May Shorten Season 7

Screened & Heard | FX’s Justified presents the penutlimate episode of its second season this Wednesday night (I know, too soon!), and as hinted in this week’s TVLine-Up, you have never seen Raylan Givens as stone-cold and out-for-blood as he is in the wake of the brutal murder that closed last week’s episode. The question is: Will someone else get to and snuff the shooter before the deputy sheriff can suss him out?…. Julie White, who once recurred as Dr. Anne Morella on Law & Order: SVU, is heading to that other spin-off, Criminal Intent. In one of the USA Network series’ final episodes, White will not play doctor but instead guest-star as New York City’s premiere marriage broker, one who fetches $700,000 for her services. See, Clark Kent, you got off cheap!

Dick Wolf Hopes for Law & Order: Criminal Intent Reprieve

If there’s a show or hot topic you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around.

1. Elizabeth says:

Hey Hart: pick an older actress with a big sister feel… that should put the kibosh on the “will they, won’t they”.

• Elle says:

Or how about an actual older actress — like, one of the many pros in her 50s who finds good roles hard to come by but would be sensationally interesting in a procedural?

• Tia says:

Great Idea. I know she is not old but Gina Torres would be cool to see.

• Mikos says:

Or just let the character be part of a couple from the get go. And let Booth come by their show and make them look like idiots and jerks.

• suzyku says:

The Finder wasn’t worth watching! Boring with no chemistry between characters! Get rid of Saffron Burrows with that horrible, hard to understand accent. Script was mediocre at best, so he finds things, big deal, how does he find them? No interest, won’t watch!

• Gillian says:

Suzyku you’re looney! that episode was one of the best! i’m so excited for a new possible spin off show! i love Geoff Stults from seven heaven! it kept me laughing the entire time! and if you can’t understand her easy to understand British accent, maybe you should venture outside your american home on occasion! come over to England for a bit, you’ll see her accent wasn’t thick at all!

2. Robert says:

No Lex/Lionel showdown! That to bad. They were always great together. At least both are in te finale.

3. Benny says:

I bet Clark is going to kiss Lois and make her forget he is Superman to preserve the DC Universe.

• Michelle says:

You do know that Lois knows the comics, right? She found out a while ago. She and Clark are married and everything. Looks like they’re aligning pretty well to me!

• Michael Sacal says:

Yeah.

It’s good to see that despite the many attempts by annoying eager-beaver Silver Age fanboys in the comic book industry to destroy the modern age version of Superman, certain aspects – like their being married and Lois knowing the secret – are making their way into other media.

Not only does Lois know the secret, but she becomes integral to creating the Superman identity, which is awesome.

• laz says:

what i want to know is how the heck is pa kent there i don’t know last i thought the man was dead and about the wedding it will happen just the kiss after want happen as long as i can rember lois and clark have never kissed in front of the main cast before like chole olviler ma kent pa kent it’s like its forbinden or something so it will get stoped before they kiss so that kiss in the promo at dailyplant is clark telling lois now we are married now.

• Tucker says:

Get the feeling he’ll be a ghost or apparition of some sort. I can’t imagine them resurrecting a flesh-and-blood Jonathan for the finale. Plus, it would make little sense to bring the Jonathan from the alternate universe over because he didn’t have the same experiences as regular Jonathan.

• laz says:

sounds like jor-el will bring pa kent from the alt world but give him back is memory from this world and take lois away from clark at the end.cause sounds like lois and clarks wedding is about every one but clark and lois witch sucks big time.

• Jason says:

She knows in the comics, but not until long after Superman shows up. She knew nothing about Clark Kent in the comics until Superman came around, so that’s the continuity the previous poster was referring to.

• sadtroll says:

I noticed in the last episode that Clark brushed his hair back with his LEFT hand.
          Never happened in the comics.
          The DC universe has now been irrevocably shattered.

• Michael Sacal says:

Smallville isn’t the comics, it’s free to create it’s own continuity using the comics as inspiration.

It’s no different from Ultimate Marvel, which diverts in certain parts from the original Marvel Universe (i.e. the Green Goblin, Venom, the Parkers, Iron Man, etc, are vastly different from their original counterparts).

• Jason says:

Initially, actually, Smallville tried to take it’s cues from the original comic. The end of season 8 was meant to set up Doomsday’s future arrival in the comics. A lot of things were done in the series to set up future continuity in the comics. It wasn’t until recently that they started majorly toying with comic continuity. Sure, they’ve always played around with mythology and continuity, but they usually tried to set things up later to match up with continuity.

Marvel also typically tries to do the same thing, but it depends on who owns the property. Spider-Man started off trying to be very faithful to the comics while making it acceptable for the big screen, Venom didn’t quite turn out right because Raimi never wanted to use Venom and the studio forced him to do it after fan outpouring asking for him in the series. Iron Man tried to stay fairly faithful, but like it’s comic book counterpart through out the years it was updated to fit the screen and to better meet what modern society is going through.

• Tony says:

Maybe Lex could come back and say “don’t kid yourself Clark you’ll always love Lang more, the only reason she’s not around is because of me muhahahaha”

4. AJ says:

Re: The Finder, no one. That show needs to frak off and die. And give me back that one hour of my life.

5. Katy least says:

As for the Bones “pilot”; they can either get rid of Saffron or at least her accent. I believe she is British so why doesn’t she just use her own accent. Love Michael Clarke Duncan…not sure about Greg Stults…I think he has to grow on you…..

• xav says:

The accent was HORRIBLE. The ‘Finder’ himself was pretty annoying too but nothing was worse than that accent.

• BabyGoz says:

Argh This! Her accent was so annoying & as a Brit myself i’m even more annoyed she didn’t use her normal accent seeing as she sucks so badly at ‘cockney’.

• Alicia says:

That was cockney? I thought she was going for Australian! Either way, they had her exaggerating/over pronouncing certain words, which I don’t think was supposed to reflect an accent, just meant to be comical–a verbal tic of sorts.

• Ro says:

This, times a billion! I’m not quite a Brit but I’ve been living in London for the last 14 years and I thought that Dick van Dyke accent had almost died out. Appalled it was coming from Saffron Burrows – an Essex accent isn’t that hard to fake, especially if you’re ACTUALLY a Brit.

Could’ve been worse, I guess. Burn Notice could’ve kept Gabrielle Anwar’s Oirish accent from the pilot.. /shudder.

6. xav says:

I’m pretty much over Alicia/Will. I find their interactions so boring now as it just circles the same ideas over and over again. I like the fresher and more interesting interactions between Eli/Alicia, Alicia/Cary, Kalinda/Alicia and Will/Diane. My feeling is that while they’re probably still going to ‘go there’, the Will/Alicia thing has overstayed its welcome and has become the most stale and boring part of an otherwise captivating show.

• daveedt says:

But the Alicia/Will, thing never materialized, this season. Once there was an understanding, i didn’t see anything, indicating Will or Alicia, thinking about the other person. I would like to see Alicia / Eli happen. Makes for more intrigue, since Eli works for Peter. I like Kalinda/Cary, better.
      Just saying….

• xav says:

There have still be hints and “longing” but it’s easy to forget because they’re the most boring parts of the episode. And personally I don’t like Cary/Kalinda at all. Kalinda uses him way too much after being so completely dismissive of him in the first season. It feels far too much like his current job keeps him useful to her so she flirts with him. She would have to stop doing that for me to ever get behind their relationship.

7. Pamela says:

*rolling my eyes*
    Hart Hanson is totally clueless. I won’t be watching any more of his drivel.

• Sarah says:

This. If I see the name Hart Hanson on a show from now on, I know that I should stay far away from it (run from it actually). I’ll most definitely be passing on “The Finder.” TV is so packed with awesome shows right now, this one shouldn’t make it past this stage if FOX is smart.

8. jrs says:

Awwwww, man, I was somehow hoping that the last scene on Justified was going to be a trick of some sort and Helen was okay. I really liked her character. Tough old broad, who really cared for Raylon and took care of Arlen.

9. Nicole says:

Justified was AMAZING last year, but this year it has topped itself. I’m beside myself with excitement for the last two episodes and really really sad that we’ll have to wait more than half a year for season 3.

• Telia says:

Yes!!! Loving this season and sorry to see it end. What a great follow up to Deadwood for TO. Would love to see some of the Deadwood actors as guests.

10. skylark66 says:

IF the Finder goes to series, please tweek the main character. I don’t enjoy watching an overgrown boy as my main lead. I didnt get, from being tricked into watching the pilot, why I should be interested in him as he stands now. Jeez, FOX has got to have better pilots than this.

11. Jem says:

Thanks for the Smallville scoop Matt! Always appreciated.

12. Tina says:

I disagree! Alicia and will are the BEST part of show and are the main reason I watch the show!

13. Parmp says:

Desperate Housewives – based on the clues I think Renee will find out her ex-baseball player husband has married and she will then turn to the single twice-widower Paul.

Was thinking of that match last night, since neither has a great or solid story as of now.

• Amanda says:

We already know it’s Renee. I just wonder if she’s gonna end up with Tom again or maybe Carlos since Gaby is out of the house for now. We know that one couple is supposed to break up by season’s end. I don’t know if it is permanent though.

• Kris says:

I’d say that Renee sleeps with Tom since him and Lynnette are already having marital problems because of his job. I would hope Renee wouldn’t sleep with him AGAIN but at the same time I really hope she wouldn’t break up Carlos/Gabby. As much as I hate how Carlos has treated Gabby this season, I love them together.

14. elsol69 says:

New Rule: No more using penultimate.

15. jenna says:

too bad about no lionel/lex scenes. They are both fantastic in their roles and that definitely would have been a scene stealing moment in the finale

16. Garnet_and_Gold47 says:

I think there is a lot of potential in the Bones spin off. I think the character played by Geoff Stults is a break from the conventional hard-a** in crime solving hour-long shows. I think this will have a Psych-esque feel to the show. As for a possible cop I would suggest Aya Sumika who recently played Liz Warner in CBS’s Numb3rs. If you wanted to go a more mentor/guide I would suggest Diane Farr who was also on Numb3rs.

17. MGL says:

Basically enjoyed The Good Wife this past season, but was disappointed how the writers dropped the Will and Alicia thing. I didn’t like the Blake storyline. He actions were criminal and not enjoyable to watch. I was not really looking for TGW to be a soap opera, but Will and Alicia were for the most part boring, which was disappointing after last season’s build up.

18. Jam says:

Speaking for the ‘L&O’ brand, is anyone gonna do some scoop on the ‘L&O: SVU’ season finale?!

19. AT says:

Too bad about there being no Lex and Lionel scene. They were one of the main reasons I used to watch this show. That and their interactions with Chloe. All of the intellectual characters playing off each other was always fun. So it sounds like we’re probably just going to get Clark and Lex scenes. Too bad. Call me out for being in the minority, but I would have also loved to have Lana come back to round out what was the original main triangle of the series, aka Lex, Lana and Clark. I always liked Lex and Lana together and would have liked to have seen some kind of end between them all. Going back to the beginning if you will. It would have been nice to see the original cast all together again playing off their beginning dynamics. Oh well. I’m still interested in seeing Lex and Chloe again and how their stories end.

• Tony says:

I don’t think Kristin Kreuk would ever want to come back to this mess. I’m surprised enough that Michael Rosenbaum did.

• Rach says:

Kristin Kreuk was the mess because the story revolved about Clark’s pathetic feelings for her which were all based on lies and deceit. With CLOIS, this the exact opposite of CLANA. Adding Lois Lane in Smallville made more fun, romantic and more sensible to watch Smallville.

20. Booger says:

Laura Prepon for the law enforcement type on The Finder. She and Stutls worked on October Road together. Good unit. Agreed on the accent thing with Saffron. It doesn’t fit her and just came off as too comic bookish. She’s a great actress. Don’t weight down her part with that crap.

21. Tami says:

LOVED bones this week! i hope ‘the finder’ goes to series!!!!

22. Jen says:

Hart Hanson needs to catch up with the times. The will they/won’t they era ended in a blaze of glory with Ross & Rachel. Audiences won’t put up with being teased like that anymore. Looks like you need to dig around for some up-to-date ways of keeping your audience entertained. It’s not too late to get Bones & Booth together & move on with the characters’ storylines & earn our forgiveness. Our patience won’t last much longer, though, so get on it… please.

23. Who says:

Who the hell cares about The Good Wife? Cancel it now CBS.

• xav says:

People who like good television.

• disappointed says:

I’m sure they’ll get right on that.

Also, thanks for deletng/not approving the post I made parodying BBT in a totally not over the line, non-cursing kind of way. I thought TVLine actually allowed dissenting opinions, is CBS one of the owners or something?

24. laz says:

right before clark and lois say the i do’s jor-L sends clark back in time first to when chole safe house blew up and stops it from happen’n so he will never meet lois and then sends him to when lex almost hits him with the car and he stops the thing form falling of the big rig truck that way he never meets lex .then clark ends it all at the FOS and flys out of it as superman the end.

25. E says:

I actually thought that HH had planned on Katheryn Winnick being part of the pilot somehow. Anyway, I think they need someone maybe late 20’s who can do comedy as well. Just can’t think of anyone offhand.

Please have Ike tone down the accent if it gets picked up. That just got on my nerves.

• Ays says:

I didn’t mind the Finder pilot and would probably give it a chance if it goes to series, but no way, no how if Kathryn Winnick is involved. She was absolutely awful on Bones. I didn’t mind the idea of Hannah, but the actress and the writing made the story arc awkward, trite and painful to watch.

26. Tony says:

I really do despise what Smallville has become. Screw the writers for ruining this once great show. The earlier seasons will always have a special place in my heart. Lois and Clark being utterly nauseating and badly acted, lazy storytelling and a low budget does not a good show make.

• Jeff says:

It’s a good think you’re in a minority and the final two seasons are generally looked at as being up there with seasons 2/3.

And really, Lois and Clark are badly acted? Yeah, go watch the Lana/Clark stuff again and get back to me.

• Rache says:

If Smallville sucked or Clark and Lois sucked, it would have not lasted 10 years!Thank goodness Lana’s gone after the original writers left the show and dragged her story lines.Lois and Clark are the best thing that ever happened in Smallville.

• Rach says:

@Jeff I fully agree with what you posted.

• Tony says:

I’m not talking about Lana. But since we’re on the topic of her. When she was the Clark’s main love interest the show was getting 6-9 million viewers. The lowest it ever went with Lang on the show was 4 million. Now it get’s a measly 2 million. Smallville highest rated episode is 9.4 million viewers. It’s lost 75% of it’s peak average audience (season 2).

So don’t kid yourself in thinking these last few seasons are at all close to quality Smallville used to display on a weakly basis. I’m sure if enough people say it you’ll hope it will become fact. Should have ended in season5 or at the very latest season 7.

27. Repost says:

Ugh, watching Sheldon dance? Here, I’ll save you the time:

Sheldon: Here is a reason for me, an awkward genius, to dance very awkwardly.
    *laugh track*
    Leonard: Sarcastic remark on how humorous it is for you, an awkward genius, to dance very awkwardly.
    *laugh track*
    Penny: (wearing short shorts) Big words are being used! I, a waitress, will show you, an awkward genius how to dance.
    *extra big laugh track*

28. DotDotDot says:

I hated, painfully so, that episode of Bones. It was just awful. Every character was irritating. I wouldn’t waste a single second watching it if Fox picks up the spinoff.

29. robert says:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG. . . . . . . . . . . . . I am so excited and totally geeking out for the finale and these last 5 epsiodes have and will be so awesome. Smallville is th ebst ever.
    I do wonder how Johnathan Kent will be there, i hope everyone is therfe and i hope they show a flashback or something for Lna Lang so she can be in the finale as well….

30. Gavin says:

Are you sure no Lex and Lionel scenes. The recent trailer had Lionel saying words to the effect of “Time to become the Luthor you were destined to be!” Or was that from a more recent episode and he was talking to Connor?

It’s a shame no Lex and Lionel. The last we saw of Lionel was at Lex’ gravestone.

31. susantampa says:

I hated Bones last week. That’s one spinoff I won’t watch.

32. TBird says:

I rewatched the Finder and liked it much more the 2nd time around. The first time, I had to dislodge my brain from the Bones universe! I struggled with the accent, LOVED Leo and Walter. Will watch for sure if picked up!

33. ann says:

don’t plan on watching walter set on the commode/fox must be desperate for shows.

34. Kim davis says:

Liked the Finder much better on the 2nd viewing…Think Hart Hanson should find someone that GS has zero chemistry with or make her much older and mom like – the will they or won’t they isn’t really within a writers control if an audience sees chemistry. That being said, starting them off together would do the trick too. Bones should have done that early on.

PS – The accent is really grating…wouldn’t mind a recast there,and her adding of extra syllables to words will get old pretty quick. I will definitely watch for a few shows to see how it turns out though.

35. nj says:

Tia Leony or Parker Posey are both over 40 and still look like they could keep up with Greg Stutls.

36. River says:

I honestly don’t mind a Bones spinoff and Ike was my favorite character. After a while, her accent could possibly annoy me so maybe that could be toned down, but the spin off seems amazing.