Exclusive

Glee Spoiler Alert: Rachel Takes Wicked Turn

Glee is going green.

In case you missed the photos and tweets burning up the web today, the Fox phenom is shooting scenes on location in New York this week for the Nationals-themed season finale. Among the iconic stops: Times Square, Lincoln Center and, TVLine can confirm exclusively, the Gershwin Theatre — home to Broadway’s Wicked.

According to a Big Apple spywitness, Lea Michele (Rachel) and Chris Colfer (Kurt) are scheduled to shoot scenes at the theatre Monday afternoon. Might the pair reteam for an encore performance of “Defying Gravity” from season 1? Perhaps they’re merely sightseeing — and happen to run into onetime Glinda Kristin Chenoweth (aka Glee‘s April Rhodes)?

Whatever it is, it sure has Michele hyper. “I’m so excited about what we’re about to do!!!!” she just tweeted. And something tells me she wasn’t referring to the TKTS booth in Times Square.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, Glee, News, Previews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Megan says:

I live across the street from the Gershwin. It has caused mass chaos, haha.

2. D says:

I want them to sing Wicked’s “Popular”!

• jen says:

that would be great. That’s probably my fav song from Wicked although I dont’ think anyone can do it as well as Kristin Chenoweth

• BJ Wanlund says:

I saw Wicked a second time when it rolled through the Peace Center for the Performing Arts in Greenville, SC, and the girl who played Glinda really had a nice spin on “Popular” (and the Galinda/Glinda character in general), and really played up the ditzy blonde angle.

That being said, I would really enjoy hearing another Wicked song on the show… please please please As Long As You’re Mine, that’s my absolute favourite!

BJ

• curly says:

i would prefer because you knew i have been changed for good!!!

3. Cookie says:

urgh, please don’t go high school musical with random music numbers in the middle of the street on this Glee, after this season you need a GOOD finale.

• Paul says:

Well, there is a scene where the girls are performing on some stairs (in Time Square I think).

• Cookie says:

sadly yes, i had hopes for a good finale. Wasn’t really looking forward to any of the remaining episodes…and no I don’t have any high hopes for the finale either

4. Hilary says:

I wonder if they are going to do the theme from “Fame.” That might be a little too old for Glee, but it would be funny!

5. Paul says:

I am so exited about this. Maybe instead of a Journey medley, this year there will be a Wicked medley. That would make up for this season in my eyes.

6. Jason says:

Glee’s really lost something for me this season. I loved the first season, but the second season seems to have lost some of the magic. It just seems to me that they’re more worried about elaborate sets and finding major contemporary musical numbers than about character development anymore. It’s starting to leave huge plot holes. How can the Glee club pay for some of their elaborate sets (i.e. the Rocky Horror episode) but the school can’t afford $250 to send a small academic group to a major competition? How is it that the Glee club can put on a benefit where none of their parents show up to support them? I think they’re starting to lose some of the realism and character that I loved in the first season.

• Cookie says:

I agree, i loved the 1st season, but season 2…not so much. Can’t really remember any specific episodes anymore and often ff most of the scenes.

• Angel says:

For me Glee lost it’s way after Furt. They sent Kurt away from his friends and gave us the Blaine character who got more screentime and solos than everyone in the cast. We watch this show for New Directions, not the Warblers. Hopefully the show gets back on track this week.

• Paul says:

I agree. I think the Warblers are completely overrated. I like the New Directions better, and I think Blaine’s had more screentime than half of some of the original cast.

• Summer says:

Commercials on Fox make it seem as though Kurt returns to the NewDies this week, so maybe we won’t get as much Warbler action?

• Angel says:

We get yet another Warblers song in this episode (FOX released the clip) and there’s rumors that there is another Blaine song in a later episode. I’m sick of Blaine. All FOX seems to care about is Darren Cri$$. I know it isn’t his fault but I wish he’d land a pilot or a movie role so he wouldn’t be available next season, seeing as how he isn’t under contract…

• Courtney says:

The loyalty to the original characters is sweet, but quite frankly the Warblers have really improved the show musically in season 2, made things much more fun to watch. (Most of the rehashed melodramatic music in the early part of season one made made my ears wish they could cry. Endless Love, anyone? Thought not. Even a well-executed crap song is still crap.) Blaine is awesome as himself, great for Kurt, and made for a great arc through season 2. I’m not looking forward to focusing on some of the ND characters again. Some of them are just too one dimensional to give two figs about.

The bigger problem is the writers’ need to bring in so many guest stars when they already have a massive cast to work with. (Blaine aside; he’s essentially a regular now.) The actors are all falling over themselves to be positive and not make waves – they’re probably all terrified about getting written out or being background dressing with no lines. Ryan Murphy’s opinions to the contrary, Gwyneth Paltrow is not the best thing to happen to Glee.

Really looking forward to Blaine’s likely joining ND in season 3. I think that is going to create all kinds of fun ripples in the group dynamic. Seeing a young gay male couple on a prime time television show and just making it out to be what it should be: totally normal and unremarkable, should be awesome.

At least the writing is more consistent than season 1. I might have thought “Night of Neglect” was a meh start to the final arc of the season, but there were seeds of potential there not fully exploited. If they would stop exploiting pop culture gimmicks of the moment that won’t age well (Bieber, Friday), that would be great, too. And if Sue would veer slightly away from the insanity and back into the caustically hilarious, it would be perfect.

This is a good season, certainly not as bad as people like to make it out to be. There were turkeys in season one. The problem is that Glee is not consistent. I can’t point to any one writer and say “X always writes a crap episode,” but I think the show does not live up to its potential uniformly. For every “Journey to Regionals” or “Original Song” there’s a “Hairography” or “Comeback.” I think someone needs to stand over Murphy, Brennan and Falchuk with a foam water noodle and smack them when they get lazy or veer into “very special episode” territory.

• Melissa says:

I think you make several very good points. It is difficult when you agree with the creators on an issue but wish they would use their humor or a song to get their point across instead of hitting us over the head with it (i.e. Holly Holliday’s heckler speech from The Night of Neglect).

• Jason says:

I agree, you make some good points, but I guess there was more of a genuine feeling to season 1, I’m not getting that with this season. I liked the Blaine/Kurt storyline for a while, but it just doesn’t ring true for me. That’s the problem I have with this season, where last season the plot and song choices were driven by the characters, I get the feeling this season that the plot and song choices drive the characters.

When you don’t allow the characters to be themselves and you start making them do what you want to drive the plot (or to fit a song that the creators simply must have in the show) then things fall flat. That’s what I’m getting from Glee this season. I think Ryan Murphy lashing out at GNR, Foo Fighters, and Kings of Leon really signifies what’s wrong with the show: they’ve gotten too big for their britches…

• Wouter says:

SERIOUSLY? You’re calling some of the original characters one-dimensional while Blaine’s only storylines ALWAYS involve Kurt. Hypocrite much?

• AlistairCrane says:

Glee’s actually been downhill ever since it came back with episode 14 in April 2010. The first 13 episodes were perfection. Since then: yuck.

7. frank says:

If it is Lea and Chris it will be great. These two are the show.

8. Alison says:

Oh that makes me ma because I was just at the Gershwin theatre yesterday afternoon and now I’m home again. I just missed them

9. Tracy says:

I work right behind the Gershwin Theatre.

10. Kelly says:

I would MUCH rather have them run into Idina!! I am not a fan of Kristen.

11. carissa says:

Brad Falchuk posted this earlier: http://j.mp/gqypfq

12. Melissa says:

If its Chris and Leah (and after their story lines this year), they may be doing For Good.

13. Rich says:

Lea & Chris doing another duet from Wicked… My first though was “For Good

14. Kevin says:

“For Good” was exactly what I thought of first. It makes sense considering their friendship and where they are.

15. Ehud Furman says:

The worst thing about this season is that it’s spoiled! http://blog.lookuppage.com/2011/04/how-to-prevent-leaks-and-reputation-management-spoilers.html

Nothing is as wicked as the real life.