Glee Spoiler Alert: Rachel Takes Wicked Turn

Glee is going green.

In case you missed the photos and tweets burning up the web today, the Fox phenom is shooting scenes on location in New York this week for the Nationals-themed season finale. Among the iconic stops: Times Square, Lincoln Center and, TVLine can confirm exclusively, the Gershwin Theatre — home to Broadway’s Wicked.

According to a Big Apple spywitness, Lea Michele (Rachel) and Chris Colfer (Kurt) are scheduled to shoot scenes at the theatre Monday afternoon. Might the pair reteam for an encore performance of “Defying Gravity” from season 1? Perhaps they’re merely sightseeing — and happen to run into onetime Glinda Kristin Chenoweth (aka Glee‘s April Rhodes)?

Whatever it is, it sure has Michele hyper. “I’m so excited about what we’re about to do!!!!” she just tweeted. And something tells me she wasn’t referring to the TKTS booth in Times Square.

Comments (32)

• I live across the street from the Gershwin. It has caused mass chaos, haha.

Comment by Megan – April 25, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • <— Jealous.

Comment by John Berggren – April 25, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want them to sing Wicked’s “Popular”!

Comment by D – April 25, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that would be great. That’s probably my fav song from Wicked although I dont’ think anyone can do it as well as Kristin Chenoweth

Comment by jen – April 26, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I saw Wicked a second time when it rolled through the Peace Center for the Performing Arts in Greenville, SC, and the girl who played Glinda really had a nice spin on “Popular” (and the Galinda/Glinda character in general), and really played up the ditzy blonde angle.

That being said, I would really enjoy hearing another Wicked song on the show… please please please As Long As You’re Mine, that’s my absolute favourite!

BJ

Comment by BJ Wanlund – April 26, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i would prefer because you knew i have been changed for good!!!

Comment by curly – April 26, 2011 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • urgh, please don’t go high school musical with random music numbers in the middle of the street on this Glee, after this season you need a GOOD finale.

Comment by Cookie – April 25, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, there is a scene where the girls are performing on some stairs (in Time Square I think).

Comment by Paul – April 25, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • sadly yes, i had hopes for a good finale. Wasn’t really looking forward to any of the remaining episodes…and no I don’t have any high hopes for the finale either

Comment by Cookie – April 25, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if they are going to do the theme from “Fame.” That might be a little too old for Glee, but it would be funny!

Comment by Hilary – April 25, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so exited about this. Maybe instead of a Journey medley, this year there will be a Wicked medley. That would make up for this season in my eyes.

Comment by Paul – April 25, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee’s really lost something for me this season. I loved the first season, but the second season seems to have lost some of the magic. It just seems to me that they’re more worried about elaborate sets and finding major contemporary musical numbers than about character development anymore. It’s starting to leave huge plot holes. How can the Glee club pay for some of their elaborate sets (i.e. the Rocky Horror episode) but the school can’t afford $250 to send a small academic group to a major competition? How is it that the Glee club can put on a benefit where none of their parents show up to support them? I think they’re starting to lose some of the realism and character that I loved in the first season.

Comment by Jason – April 25, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, i loved the 1st season, but season 2…not so much. Can’t really remember any specific episodes anymore and often ff most of the scenes.

Comment by Cookie – April 25, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For me Glee lost it’s way after Furt. They sent Kurt away from his friends and gave us the Blaine character who got more screentime and solos than everyone in the cast. We watch this show for New Directions, not the Warblers. Hopefully the show gets back on track this week.

Comment by Angel – April 25, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I think the Warblers are completely overrated. I like the New Directions better, and I think Blaine’s had more screentime than half of some of the original cast.

Comment by Paul – April 25, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Commercials on Fox make it seem as though Kurt returns to the NewDies this week, so maybe we won’t get as much Warbler action?

Comment by Summer – April 25, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • We get yet another Warblers song in this episode (FOX released the clip) and there’s rumors that there is another Blaine song in a later episode. I’m sick of Blaine. All FOX seems to care about is Darren Cri$$. I know it isn’t his fault but I wish he’d land a pilot or a movie role so he wouldn’t be available next season, seeing as how he isn’t under contract…

Comment by Angel – April 25, 2011 05:29 PM PDT
      • The loyalty to the original characters is sweet, but quite frankly the Warblers have really improved the show musically in season 2, made things much more fun to watch. (Most of the rehashed melodramatic music in the early part of season one made made my ears wish they could cry. Endless Love, anyone? Thought not. Even a well-executed crap song is still crap.) Blaine is awesome as himself, great for Kurt, and made for a great arc through season 2. I’m not looking forward to focusing on some of the ND characters again. Some of them are just too one dimensional to give two figs about.

The bigger problem is the writers’ need to bring in so many guest stars when they already have a massive cast to work with. (Blaine aside; he’s essentially a regular now.) The actors are all falling over themselves to be positive and not make waves – they’re probably all terrified about getting written out or being background dressing with no lines. Ryan Murphy’s opinions to the contrary, Gwyneth Paltrow is not the best thing to happen to Glee.

Really looking forward to Blaine’s likely joining ND in season 3. I think that is going to create all kinds of fun ripples in the group dynamic. Seeing a young gay male couple on a prime time television show and just making it out to be what it should be: totally normal and unremarkable, should be awesome.

At least the writing is more consistent than season 1. I might have thought “Night of Neglect” was a meh start to the final arc of the season, but there were seeds of potential there not fully exploited. If they would stop exploiting pop culture gimmicks of the moment that won’t age well (Bieber, Friday), that would be great, too. And if Sue would veer slightly away from the insanity and back into the caustically hilarious, it would be perfect.

This is a good season, certainly not as bad as people like to make it out to be. There were turkeys in season one. The problem is that Glee is not consistent. I can’t point to any one writer and say “X always writes a crap episode,” but I think the show does not live up to its potential uniformly. For every “Journey to Regionals” or “Original Song” there’s a “Hairography” or “Comeback.” I think someone needs to stand over Murphy, Brennan and Falchuk with a foam water noodle and smack them when they get lazy or veer into “very special episode” territory.

Comment by Courtney – April 25, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think you make several very good points. It is difficult when you agree with the creators on an issue but wish they would use their humor or a song to get their point across instead of hitting us over the head with it (i.e. Holly Holliday’s heckler speech from The Night of Neglect).

Comment by Melissa – April 25, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That heckler speech was absolutely horrible!!! I felt like we went into after-school special mode!

Comment by Jason – April 25, 2011 07:55 PM PDT
        • I agree, you make some good points, but I guess there was more of a genuine feeling to season 1, I’m not getting that with this season. I liked the Blaine/Kurt storyline for a while, but it just doesn’t ring true for me. That’s the problem I have with this season, where last season the plot and song choices were driven by the characters, I get the feeling this season that the plot and song choices drive the characters.

When you don’t allow the characters to be themselves and you start making them do what you want to drive the plot (or to fit a song that the creators simply must have in the show) then things fall flat. That’s what I’m getting from Glee this season. I think Ryan Murphy lashing out at GNR, Foo Fighters, and Kings of Leon really signifies what’s wrong with the show: they’ve gotten too big for their britches…

Comment by Jason – April 25, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • SERIOUSLY? You’re calling some of the original characters one-dimensional while Blaine’s only storylines ALWAYS involve Kurt. Hypocrite much?

Comment by Wouter – April 26, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee’s actually been downhill ever since it came back with episode 14 in April 2010. The first 13 episodes were perfection. Since then: yuck.

Comment by AlistairCrane – April 25, 2011 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it is Lea and Chris it will be great. These two are the show.

Comment by frank – April 25, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh that makes me ma because I was just at the Gershwin theatre yesterday afternoon and now I’m home again. I just missed them

Comment by Alison – April 25, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I work right behind the Gershwin Theatre.

Comment by Tracy – April 25, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would MUCH rather have them run into Idina!! I am not a fan of Kristen.

Comment by Kelly – April 25, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brad Falchuk posted this earlier: http://j.mp/gqypfq

Comment by carissa – April 25, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If its Chris and Leah (and after their story lines this year), they may be doing For Good.

Comment by Melissa – April 25, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lea & Chris doing another duet from Wicked… My first though was “For Good

Comment by Rich – April 25, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “For Good” was exactly what I thought of first. It makes sense considering their friendship and where they are.

Comment by Kevin – April 25, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The worst thing about this season is that it’s spoiled! http://blog.lookuppage.com/2011/04/how-to-prevent-leaks-and-reputation-management-spoilers.html

Nothing is as wicked as the real life.

Comment by Ehud Furman – May 14, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post