Simon Cowell Reveals the (Almost) Official List Of X Factor Judges

When the U.S. edition of The X Factor premieres on Fox this fall, the four seats at the judges table will be filled by boss man Simon Cowell, Antonio “L.A.” Reid (the chairman of Island Def Jam Music Group), Paula Abdul (of Live To Dance American Idol fame), and Cheryl Cole (from the UK X Factor).

Or so Simon Cowell hopes to announce soon, he reveals in an interview with Deadline.com.

“I’ve always wanted Paula. Always been very vocal about that. Always loved working with her even though she can be a pain,” Cowell tells the site. “I don’t know what it is about her, but I’ve always clicked with her. You just have to get that chemistry, and she’s right. I’ve never found anyone better than her. I think there’s a good chance it will be her.”

Yes, you read right — Abdul’s deal isn’t done. In fact, talks haven’t even formally started yet. “But I think she’s got a really good shot,” Cowell says.

Cole, meanwhile, at least has been in negotiations with X Factor EP Cowell et al, though the British songstress is not yet signed.

Though Cole’s name has repeatedly popped up in speculation about X Factor judges, it oft has been met with skepticism that the veddy British personality (and her strong accent) will “translate” successfully with American audiences. Cowell, however, insists that Fox brass want her as badly as he does.

“This girl is special. She’s just got a great ability to communicate. She’s a great judge. She’s smart,” Cowell argues. “If people take to her like the British public did, I think she’s going to do really well in America.”

Comments (75)

• I’ll be over the moon if Cheryl Cole is at that judges table come next fall

Comment by Alex – April 24, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope Paula joins the panel. I have head good things about Cheryl Cole. But Paula just adds that extra dimension. She could be a loon, but her with Simon again would be great TV. Especially after the dreck that American Idol has turned into with these very vanilla judges.

Comment by Stacie – April 24, 2011 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will be too. Cheryl is a dynamic personality on the UK X-Factor, and has great chemistry with Simon. I think the American audience will take to her, if they can understand her accent!

Comment by Christina – April 25, 2011 03:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am against having two brit judges on an American show. Were there two Yank judges on the UK version?

Comment by Templar – April 25, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • There’s an Irish and an Australian out of 4 judges if that helps

Comment by WhiteLady – April 25, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s what you get when you’re a copy of another show, I guess.

Comment by xav – April 25, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I am against having Canadians and Aussies on American series, Hugh Laurie go home…don’t you think this is a ridiculous statement?

Comment by Sarah – April 25, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would Simon announce Paula’s name if her deal has not even been negotiated, or started yet. Something tells me he wanted to take some of hype away from The Voice. And knows just announcing Chery’s name will be no big whoopla. But announcing Paula also in talks, gets more talk even though it sounds like it’s no sure thing.

And I am not even sure it would work with X Factor. American Idol is one thing. But doing it again, with X Factor is another question all together. Totally different show.

Who knows, but I sorta hope Paula falls through. Paula showed going to a new voice competition didn’t work. Even with Simon, who knows if people will respond.

Comment by Stacey – April 24, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think that “The Voice” has anything to do with it. “The Voice” premieres on Tuesday and “X-Factor” doesn’t come on until Fall so they aren’t exactly competitors.

Comment by baj24 – April 24, 2011 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True. But on the week the Voice premieres, he puts this out even though it’s not even finalized or even entered into negotiations on the part of Paula. It’s like he’s trying to hype up his show given minus the blind auditions, The Voice is pretty much X Factor. Just with celeb judges and blind auditions…

Comment by Stacey – April 24, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The fact that you think THE VOICE is an actual contender up against something like X FACTOR is hilarious. THE VOICE will not last long – just watch and see…

Comment by BRETT – April 24, 2011 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • X-Factor doesn’t premiere til September, The Voice (which begins tomorrow) won’t be going up against X-Factor.

Comment by Chance – April 25, 2011 05:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Cheryl makes it to the judges panel too. I’m hoping no Paula though, someone who can actually give constructive criticism would be nice.

Comment by Kirk – April 24, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m hoping no Paula too but sadly we have no voice in it

Comment by Alex – April 24, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you guys.
      Paula could be lovely as a person or funny with some feedback but I can’t see her as a mentor.

Comment by WhiteLady – April 25, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Paula. She will be amazing

Comment by Scott – April 24, 2011 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s Paula. Then the REAL American Idol judge panel will be reunited on X Factor!!

Comment by AlistairCrane – April 24, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited! Finally!

Comment by Rolfe – April 24, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paula and Simon together again would be great. Simon is correct that they do have a chemistry together that works and their comments on the contestants balance each other – good cop/bad cop style. Simon is an astute businessman and I cannot imagine him spilling the beans on judges if they do not have iron clad contracts in their hands. If that is the case, then Abdul may be just wishful thinking.

Comment by TVDIVA – April 24, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paula? (Sighs noticeably, checks the medicine cabinet to see if there’s anything he can send her to keep her alert)

I was really hoping that Cowell would pull George Michael, but I think he would have said something by now.

Comment by Joe B. – April 24, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your last sentence sent my imagination in a whole different direction.

Comment by Templar – April 25, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Paula because she gives the most ridiculous reviews and I love Cheryl because she has the best facial expressions ever. But after all those years on American Idol Paula bores me; her schtick is old.

Comment by xav – April 24, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait. This is gonna blow that tired American Idol crap out of the water.

Comment by JohnDoe – April 24, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TOTAL CAT FIGHT!!!

Comment by Lisa – April 24, 2011 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry but as a viewer from the UK, Cheryl wasn’t really a good judge or mentor. Some of the crtique she gave to the singers was ridiculous. Especially when she brought up tabloid rumours to another contestant. Saying that, Simon was a pretty bad mentor last season as well. The only respectable one was Dannii. Louis was just funny.

Comment by Charisma – April 24, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what? in 3 years two of her contestants have won the show and last year on of her contestants was runner-up.

Watch auditions from 2008 and 2009 before she got malaria last year, she was amazing, a lot better than a lot of our US judges.

Comment by JE – April 24, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ditto to what Kate said. Also, someone who’s going to be a judge on an American show should probably have an idea on how the industry works in America…

Comment by Charisma – April 25, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her ‘mentorees’ winning had nothing to do with her being a mentor, and it was only two Alexandra Burke who was by far the strongest contender that year, and Joe McElderry who got the awww isnt he cute vote! You watch the songs she chooses, she has no idea about music, she has no range outside of what the general public knows, she is awful, but if her bieng in the US means we dont have to have go for it!

Comment by Kate – April 25, 2011 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve watched the last few seasons of X Factor online. The first year, I adored Cheryl, but had problems understanding what she said. Since then, there hasn’t been a problem. She’s great

Comment by John – April 24, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am Canadian, but if I were American I would resent that they were having judges from another country judging American singers. It’s as if they can’t find a suitable American judge.

Comment by peanut – April 24, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If “AMERICA’S got Talent” can have all three judges be from different countries, then “X-Factor” should be able to as well.

Comment by Clarissa – April 24, 2011 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And that’s why you’re not American

Comment by Alex – April 24, 2011 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, @peanut’s part of the country with the highest rating for multicultural tolerance in the world, unlike the United States. Her/his point was simply that the cultural norms of both countries just don’t always translate.

Comment by Lisa – April 25, 2011 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both Cheryl and Paula, but I don’t think the panel can work with both of them there at the same time. I’m hoping he goes with Cheryl. I’ve always loved her and Simon’s interactions on the UK show.

Comment by Clarissa – April 24, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cheryl left X Factor UK to join X Factor US ? Sounds like a backstabbing itch to me. I know it’s business and all but I can’t help but think badly of someone who can leave their show to join another THAT easily.

Comment by DennyS – April 24, 2011 10:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be fair, the X-Factor in the UK belongs to Simon Cowell, he created it and he brought Cheryl Cole on as a judge. Her going to America with Simon could be seen as a loyal.

Comment by ZebedeeDooDah – April 25, 2011 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cheryl is extremely ambitious and as fake as they come. American viewers are not going to like all the fawning Simon does over her. She cant even sing live herself. Shocked that she has been chosen as a judge as her decisions on who to put through in the latest British series led to thousands of complaints that she didnt have a clue what she was doing.

Comment by debbie – April 25, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Paula will be a judge. I think Cheryl should stay in the UK we don’t need her and her voice is annoying.

Comment by Sue – April 24, 2011 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Annoying”?!?!?!
      Ever heard of Randy Jackson? With his incessant insistence on calling everyone Dude or Dog regardless of gender.
      “Yo, yo, yo, dog……..dude, yo listen dog”
      Now that’s annoying!

Comment by Woodspring – April 25, 2011 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paula was soooo articulate on LIVE 2 Dance which was a world from her Idol days. If she can stay off the pills/booze then I think she’ll work well. It was when she critiqued Jason Castro for a performance he hadn’t even done that I knew the girl had reallllly lost it. ;)

Comment by Brock – April 24, 2011 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am British and think it would be a big mistake to have both Paul and Cheryl as judges on the X Factor America will not get Cheryl it just has to be Paula.

Comment by Jane Davies – April 25, 2011 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHERYL AND PAULA WOULD BE PERFECT!!

Comment by PHIL – April 25, 2011 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cole is a rubbish judge, she has no talent what so ever, she also has been convicted of racially attacking someone. She even left her acts to go america to sort her own stuff out shows how selfish she is.

Comment by tash – April 25, 2011 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She hasn’t been convicted of racially assaulting someone, that’s libelous

Comment by Sarah – April 25, 2011 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re right. She was convicted (a fine and community service) of assault, which the other woman claimed was racially motivated. But it was her word against Cole’s, no evidence for it.

Comment by ZebedeeDooDah – April 25, 2011 04:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am shocked the unknown Cheryl Cole is being considered at all. She has a conviction for assault against a black woman. Very nasty incident.

Comment by teresa – April 25, 2011 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don ‘t play the racist part which she isn’t, it’s getting boring.

Comment by Sarah – April 25, 2011 04:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, let’s not forget that she married a black dude (Ashley Cole). Probably not racist.

Comment by ZebedeeDooDah – April 25, 2011 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah not long after the attack and he spent the whole marriage cheating on her and she moved her mother into the home a month after the wedding! Not sketchy one bit!

Comment by Kate – April 25, 2011 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • she married him more than two years after the attack, previous to that her former boyfriend was of mixed race too, she has a type. So no racist card.

Comment by Sarah – April 25, 2011 12:12 PM PDT
      • But the woman who she assaulted also stated that Cheryl called her an extremely offensive racist name.

Comment by donna – April 25, 2011 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • yeah, after talking to a PR agency

Comment by Sarah – April 25, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the Cheryl decision. She’s a great personality, and works well with Simon. But Paula??? Didn’t 8 seasons of American Idol prove anything?

Comment by Christina – April 25, 2011 03:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg Paula!!! this is gonna be awesome.

Comment by liz – April 25, 2011 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate the argument Cheryl Cole has won twice so she is a good mentor… she is consistently given what is thought to be the strongest category every single year.

Comment by aimee – April 25, 2011 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome dude ….. .

Comment by Telugu News – April 25, 2011 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Paula is a judge, I’m out. She does not make for good TV. When she’s straight, she has nothing interesting or helpful to say. When she’s messed up, every second that she is mumbling and slurring her useless ‘advice’ seems to take an hour. There is nothing fun about seeing that. And she and Simon are a nightmare together. Two adults interacting like 7-year-olds who have a crush on each other is not cute or entertaining. At all. It is embarrassing just to watch.

Comment by Jessicake – April 25, 2011 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please not Cheryl. Watching her asnd Simon fawning over each other got very tiresome in the UK. At least she is leaving our version. She has no real talent and I find it offensive that Cowell thinks she is qualified to judge others.

Comment by markc – April 25, 2011 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cheryl is a poor judge. She can’t really give any constructive criticism, usually she reels out well known quotes like ‘you’re right up my street!’ or ‘I wasn’t really feeling that’. If she gets the US X Factor job, its all down to Simon’s power – he LOVES her.

Her singing voice isn’t up to much either.

Comment by Joshua – April 25, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Paula ends up on the panel. Idol just isn’t the same without her, as much as I love JLo.

As a girl from London, I see Cheryl in our media a lot and I think she’s a great judge on shows like these. X Factor US would be lucky to have her and she and Simon have some great chemistry going on. I think she and Paula would be really good together since they’re both so sweet and I’d love to see them gang up on Simon when he’s being an ass!

Cheryl knows her stuff in these competitions – she got famous because she won one ages ago, and she’s done so well for herself. She’s been an awesome judge here and even though I don’t get to see her on our X Factor anymore, I’ll be happy to see her do well in the US!

Comment by Sophie – April 25, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • psst…. cheryl is not from London, she is from Newcastle and thats a long way further north where London is.

Comment by Jas – April 25, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cheryl Cole all the way!

Comment by isabel – April 25, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cheryl dont know the US music industry she hasnt cracked it there yet so would be a bad choice, Simon should get someone like Taylor Swift, Madonna, Rihanna, Beyonce or Lady Gaga as judges

Comment by Tammy – April 25, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So they can be cream puff judges that resort to cheerleading like AI’s judges currently do? No thanks.

Comment by JohnDoe – April 25, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, please have Cheryl Cole. If it means she is over in the States and not here I will be very happy. Cole is extremely overrated, beautiful, but not particulary blessed with talent. Cowell wants her on his team because she always backs him up. Dannii Minogue is a far better judge for the UK X Factor, so long as we keep her, all will be well.

Comment by sarah – April 25, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its all british voting for cheryl because us americans dont want her, simon promised us a superstar! as much as i love paula shes not a superstar at the minute but of course i want her on the show

Comment by Kim – April 25, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who’s the 4th female on the picture on the front of the article? Is it Katy Perry? I know it’s Cheryl, Paula and Mariah, but who’s the 4th they allude to? I’ve read both articles and they only mention the first three and here they only mention Cheryl and Paula, but show 4 faces. So who is it?

Comment by Philip – April 25, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to be afraid if Cheryl gets it and Paula doesn’t. I looked at videos of Cheryl and Simon and Simon said he wanted to kiss her and they look like their getting close like Paula and Simon used to be. It will be interesting if both of them get it……..:(

Comment by Sharon Pelletier – April 25, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know!!!!!!! It would be weird. What if they got in a fight over him and and he had to break it up! That would be so awkward. And then even worse Paula would probably ignore Simon and then she will just watch Cheryl talk to Simon like she used to and her heart will be broken. </3 Saula!!!!!!!!!! <3

Comment by Daniela Albert – April 25, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s embarrassing reading posts like these. Reality check, there’s no such thing as Saula in the real world. It’s all an act.

Comment by Anna – April 25, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry, I’m sure Paula is a very nice person, but she was annoying as hell on American Idol and I don’t think she should be a judge on any talent show. Blah.

Comment by betsy – April 25, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paula is gonna be an awesome mentor! You all doubt Paula but she is a loving person who will bring alot tongue contestants and she’s a dancer so that gives the people she mentors an advantage too! Don’t sleep on ms Abdul

Comment by Leon – April 25, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, does anyone give two figs about Cheryl Cole in America? I’m confident that if I stopped 100 people on the street and asked if they knew who she was, probably two of them would know…and that’s being generous.

Comment by Jess – April 26, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff prior to and
    you are just too excellent. I really like what you’ve obtained right
    here, really like what you are saying and the best way during which you say it.
    You’re making it entertaining and you continue to take care
    of to stay it wise. I cant wait to learn far more from you.
    This is really a terrific web site.

Comment by pokerstars marketing code uk – February 4, 2014 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi to every body, it’s my first pay a visit of this
    webpage; this weblog includes remarkable and actually excellent material designed for visitors.

Comment by play penny slots – February 7, 2014 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post