Ratings: Friday Night Lights Up, Fringe Hits Low

In what was overall not a very good Friday for TV, NBC’s Friday Night Lights enjoyed one of the precious few week-to-week gains, inching up from its season premiere to 3.8 million total viewers and a 1.0 demo rating.

But elsewhere? Yikes.

Smallville, despite positive buzz surrounding the visit from Booster Gold, dipped 10 percent in the demo to a 0.9, and slipped a few points to 2.23 million viewers. Lead-out Supernatural held steady in the demo (0.9) but lassoed barely 2 million total viewers.

Fox’s already renewed Fringe dropped 14 percent to a series-low 1.2 demo rating, drawing 3.5 million total viewers.

Even ABC’s Shark Tank fell 7 percent, to a 1.4 demo rating. And it has sharks! What?

Friday’s big winner? CBS’ Girls Night Out: Superstar Women of Country special, which was tops in the demos (1.6) and in total viewers (8.5 mil).

1. xav says:

Can we just move Fringe to a better day already? Just not Thursday or Friday. I love Fringe and I don’t even watch it on Friday because I go out or watch a movie. Last night was a Doctor Who marathon.

2. Anna says:

Fringe… I loved it last night and it’s good to know it’s already renewed but people seriously need to start watching. Not for ratings but because it’s simply the best show on television

• Tarc says:

Even though it was raining part of the day, the weather’s finally broken here in the Midwest; things were crazy busy on the roads and at the mall, particularly since it was Good Friday. I’m not surprised at all about overall viewing being down. Even I, as a huge Fringe fan, didn’t catch the episode real time. And it was an AWESOME epsiode! Fringe and Vampire Diaries (yes, I know, but it really is!) are two of the best shows on TV right now.

• Chris says:

I totally agree. For the love of God! It’s a terrific show. I can’t stand the fact that other reality-rubish-shows hit higher ratings and a unique show like Fringe doesn’t get what really deserves.

3. timotey says:

Re: Supernatural – on a night when most shows dropped (Easter Weekend), I’m glad that Supernatural could keep its demo steady. Although, SPN was pre-empted in St. Luis and in other places, mainly for tornado warnings, last I heard? So, it’ll probably drop in the final numbers.

4. Doug-H says:

This is a holiday weekend but networks needed the date to finish off the seasons of these shows…

I think the DVR’s were busy…

5. Midori says:

Fringe numbers aren’t that big of a deal. The show should only run October to March because when the nice weather hits or spring holidays come up (It was Good Friday) people are out and not watching.

• J. Norman says:

Isn’t that true of any show!
      I don’t watch the show so I don’t have anything to say about how good or bad it is. But its ratings are awful and continue to get worse. There doesn’t seem to be any ratings Fringe can get that its fans won’t defend.
      Question” What is the floor for Fringe ratings to slide to before rabid fans won’t find rationalizations for it.

6. Ehran says:

Fringe… I stopped watching it weeks ago. Let it die already.

7. Helena says:

Oh hey look at that. Seems like a G. Johns episode is not a ratings booster after all.

8. DB says:

I really really hope the producers have an end plan in mind for next season. I think Fox and Warner Bros know the show was ending with a doozy of a cliffhanger and decided to give the show more time to get a proper sendoff. i honestly don’t think the ratings would get any better even on other nights. Americans love their cookie cutter drama and their uninspiring spinoffs. creative genre shows that push the envelope just don’t stand a chance.
    And I appreciate Fox for promoting the show too, the promo for this week was shown many times over the week in other show’s commercial break, which didn’t used to happen that much a few months ago. so it’s not like they’re not trying to help the show either…

9. Cass says:

Disappointed with FRINGE ratings, but I’m guess the weather throughout part of the country as well as it being Good Friday/holiday weekend might have impacted it and the rest of the Friday-night programming.

10. Talita says:

Fringe fans have a life! C’mon! That was a good Friday.
    I’ve just watched the show again: downloaded…

11. Heather says:

Does anyone else have Direct TV and watch the final season of Friday Night Lights a couple of months ago? Did I miss something or did they not show the last three episodes?

12. Ali says:

I wanted to watch Fringe last night, but Fox was the only station that had to spend the entire hour watch the weather map crawl. Seriously, ABC, NBC, CBS, they all had the alerts and maps crawl across the screen which their shows ran as scheduled, or they cut in for a few minutes. Fox just cut out the show entirely. Boo. I wonder if that had any impact on ratings.

13. Weather says:

I couldn’t watch Fringe because of the storms. They took it off the air to show the weather, I bet that had something to do with it because it affected a very large area. At least, I bet that it was at least in part responsible.

14. vjw says:

Ditto to the storms… but I think the ratings are always worse when they do the “over there” episodes. I know I don’t care for them as much.

15. JohnDoe says:

The Fringe producers and writers NEED to talk to FOX about and end-date for the show, just like Lindelof and Cuse did with LOST, otherwise the writers will be meandering about, trying to drag things out with no endgame.

16. Summer Bay says:

It might be mean but i think a large group of Americans are too stupid for Fringe, it just goes over their heads.

• justin says:

Summer, mean or not, you’re more than likely right.

• Tarc says:

One in five have an IQ of 80 or below – literally dumb as a box of rocks. A large group of people being too stupid for *anything* is a realistic call. I just wish there was an intelligence test for voting (or, hey, commenting on blogs).

• Tania says:

Which is why there’s an audience, however small, for the lame-ass FNL. It’s more their speed. :P

17. Carm says:

I didn’t watch watch Fringe until the next day. It was an awesome episode. I was out Friday in spite of the rain here in DC but did make sure that my Tivo was set to record it. I won’t be able to watch it in real time next Friday either, but so glad it has been renewed.

18. Amy says:

I think it was the combination of the holiday weekend and the gorgeous weather throughout much of the country. When it doesn’t get dark until 9 pm, we’re out enjoying the sunshine. But, like someone said earlier, our DVRs are busy!

• Amy says:

Amendment to my post: reading the earlier posts, it seems that some people didn’t watch because of the opposite weather problem. Horrible storms. Either way, when pretty much all of the shows are down on the same night, I hope FOX doesn’t rethink its decision to renew Fringe. It’s a great show!

• Ashley says:

Yes, in the midwest all regular channels were broadcasting nothing but weather-related newscasts all Friday night. I reset my DVR to record a re-broadcast of Fringe on Saturday night and even that was pre-empted by close to 30 minutes of weather news. Finally watched in entirety on my laptop a few minutes ago.

19. Mindy says:

This is actually the only Fringe episode all season which I have watched in real time. But, I had no storms. And no religious events. And my friends all went out Saturday night instead of Friday. So, apparently I was one of the only people home watching the show this week. For the first time ever.

20. fringe blows says:

Fringe is perfect for Friday Nights. The losers that watch that show have nothing better to do anyway. FNL is light years ahead of Fringe.

21. manny says:

Fringe is great but if you tune in now you will be lost. That is why it is tanking. XFiles had more individual stories with a background story so people could join in and enjoy an episode.They better wrap up storyline next year…AND don’t make us see a damn movie after for an ending…I will be pissed!!

22. Jackie says:

I love Fringe and am sad to see the ratings drop, but if they ever do a cartoon-centric episode again, even I’ll be jumping ship!

I still have the most recent ep on my DVR; this past Friday was devoted to family and vacation. I agree that Fringe needs to be moved to a different night. I never watch it live anymore. Fridays are just too hard.

23. Bob says:

Sorry, weather was too nice Friday night to stay home and watch Fringe. Watched it Sunday on Hulu (no DVR and Fox isn’t on our OnDemand service). It was great, as usual. And if you’re one of the people complaining about how lousy this season has been and you’ve stopped watching, GREAT. Now stop reading articles about it, and leaving your comments, because that only officially makes you a TROLL.

24. 4thjet says:

First off ~Easter weekend
    Second~ bad weather , alot of people didn’t even have cable to watch the show and were dealing with tornadoes, snow storms and other wonderful weather!
    Thirdly and most importantly, since moving the show to Friday most of us are either taping/Tivo or watching it online later.

Was a great show! Going back and forth between the 2 universes was exhausting, but from the time Walter and Peter got to the machine and Peter was going to try to fix it, their superb acting had me crying along with the show for a good 10 minutes! Leaving us with a cliff hanger for next week was brilliant!

Thank you FOX for renewing FRINGE now please move it back to Tuesdays, and we won’t be having these ratings issues!