Exclusive

Exclusive: Troubled Spider-Man Musical Gets the Law & Order Treatment -- With a Killer Twist

If this does turn out to be Law & Order: CI‘s final season, it sure will go out with a bang. Not only has the procedural signed Jay Mohr to guest as, in essence, Charlie Sheen, another episode is now underway that will pull back the curtain on a Broadway disaster that sounds an awful lot like Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark.

Obviously, no one will confirm that the Great White Way debacle is what inspired the upcoming hour about a high-flying, fast-crashing show called Icarus. But it’s pretty clear that the headlines from which the story was ripped appeared in Backstage, not the local Penny Saver.

Natch, Spidey’s ousted director, Julie Taymor, gets the worst of it: Her CI counterpart is described in casting breakdowns as “high-strung and larger-than-life.” Oh, and a born-again drunk. (Then again, anybody’d be driven into a Jesus Juice stupor if a botched stunt didn’t just injure an actor but killed him, which is what happens in the CI eppy!) Bono, on the other hand… sorry, “Arno” is a secretly bisexual rock-star composer who’s cheating on the missus with a colleague. (Pass that flask… )

So, dunno about you, but I’m actually just as interested in seeing this CI episode as I am in seeing TOTD after it returns, sans Taymor, from its retooling. What do you think? With neat tricks like this up his sleeve, will boss man Dick Wolf be granted his wish for another season after all?

1. Michael Sacal says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

• Debbie K says:

Excuse me for my ignorance but until an associate of mine pointed out this article to me, I had never heard of your “illustrious” website. As ignorance IS bliss in this case, my bliss has been broken so I will answer your less than professional article.

I’m hoping that your website is designed to provide a satirical/ humorously bizarre “take” on current events & celebrities. At least, I hope so otherwise I would be hard pressed to figure out what a Broadway musical is doing being referenced on a website entitled “TV Line”.

If it is supposed to be the “Law & Order” tie-in – that doesn’t work for me. It’s a weak attempt to increase your viewership by taking cheap shots at major celebrities & their projects the likes of whom you could only wish that you could accomplish (excuse me – how many Grammys do YOU have?)

Quite honestly, after having SEEN “Spiderman:TOTD”, I came away from it a SUPPORTER & not a detractor. Yes, some rewrite of it is necessary and is in the process of being done but the NEW GROUND that it is breaking in terms of the complex aerials & the audience involvement in the musical, along with some AMAZING background props and EXCELLENT choreography, makes “Spiderman TOTD” a MUCH BETTER musical than what is being said about it by the paparazzi.

Please either speak about people & projects like this in an objective and mature way – or simply desist. But to go out of your way to spread mistruths about a project that really has NOTHING to do with TV – just for the sake of cheap shots at Broadway and to hopefully bring more viewership to your paltry website – is about as low as you can go.

Please elevate yourself to real journalism and either speak the truth about events & people in a factual and fair way – or be quiet. In your case, silence IS golden.

All the Best, debbie:)

• RationalU2Fan says:

Michael, I’ve read you for years in EW and you’re a terrific entertainment critic. I’m also a longtime U2 fan (oh, and a journalism school graduate) and can tell you that “Debbie” is well known through the fandom as a woman so blinded by her adoration of Bono that she feels it’s her life’s goal to admonish anyone who dares to murmur a word of negativity regarding him or his activities. Like he can’t take care of himself?

There are thousands of us who also respect Bono and Edge, but are unhappy about the time and energy being sunk into this Broadway production. We also don’t feel the need to call a writer derogatory names, slam his professionalism, or reply twice to the same article due to scarily over-the-line fanaticism.

• Michael Sacal says:

Why are you guys posting these comments in response to my post? heh

To paraphrase Obi Wan, I am not the Michael you are looking for.

2. Jessiekins says:

Having endured S:TOTD back in December, and pretty much feeling that it was quite possibly the worst show of all time, and never having seen an episode of ANY L&O, !EVER!, I might watch.

3. jam says:

Can someone explain this to me in simple English, I’m lost.

• Esta says:

You havent read a single entertainment headline in 6 months?

• “There are some people, that if they don’t know, you can’t tell them.” – Louis Armstrong

• Michael Sacal says:

The Spider-Man play has been plagued by accidents, stunts that go bad, injuured actors, and multiple shut downs, the last of which saw the original director leave the show and a new writer come in to rewrite the story.

Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark is a tragedy waiting to happen.

4. tvfruitcake says:

From your lips to God’s ear, honey!!!!

5. Cliff says:

Does this mean Alfred Molina is coming to L&O: CI as Det. Morales (or Doc Ock)?

6. Taylor says:

I’m excited to see this episode! Does anyone know when the tenth season will air on NBC?

7. deedeedragons says:

I guess it means you’ve really made it when L&O does a story about you.

8. Charlene says:

Probably this post would be more understandable if Mikie Ausiello and Andy Patrick didn’t treat it like a riddle… just get to the point. Thank you Michael Sacal!

9. Josh says:

@MichaelAusiello: Can we get some scoop on the ‘Law & Order #SVU’ season finale episode (“Smoked”)?!

10. Debbie K says:

BTW – I don’t watch TV & I could care less about “Law & Order”. Like you, they are also just looking for increased viewership on the backs of others who have achieved far more in life than they could ever hope to do.

It appears that this TV show is also in a desparate attempt to bring viewers over to their show (is that a ratings week for TV?)or to save its arse with its network to take such aCHEAP & unprofessional shot at this musical also!

GROW UP, PEOPLE! Don’t you have anything better to do with your time than to berate others when they actually step out of the formula box & try something NEW in the world of entertainment?

Are the writers for this show so UNCREATIVE that they have to recycle other people’s lives (UBER-FAMOUS people’s lives) in order to come up with story lines?

If so – please GET OUT of the business & move over for other writers who can be creative without tearing down famous people & their projects!

If I have been harsh – the truth hurts. I don’t mince words & I don’t inflate my opinions (like others in this article). I am simply being OBJECTIVE about this musical enough to say that, while it does need some additional work (which it is getting right now) to be a real success, it DOES NOT deserve the cheap shots in the media that it is getting.

The media either needs to be fair in its reporting or simply desist in its reporting if it does not want to be fair to everyone/everything it reports on – unless being a “rag” reporter or “rag” publication is what they are trying to achieve.

In that case, they would be LOWER IN INTEGRITY than the people and the projects that they are attempting to bring down. Remember, you only try to bring down those who are above you.

The people involved in “Spiderman TOTD” have an integrity that others can only wish for.

Sincerely, debbie:)

• ryan says:

You do realize Law and Order has based a majority of its episodes on current events and big headlines so why should this musical get special treatment. They can do copy real life murder cases and parody troubled celebs but making fun of musical is where you draw the line?