Comic-Con

Smallville Exclusive First Look: Lex. Is. Back!

“They say every man has a dark side…. I am not every man. I’m Lex Luthor!”

And… goosebumps! The CW’s Smallville will wrap up its 10-year run the only way it really could, with Michael Rosenbaum reprising his role of Clark Kent’s arch nemesis, Lex Luthor — and we’ve got exclusive video promoting the big showdown.

Michael Rosenbaum Talks About Regaining His Lex Appeal

Press PLAY below to check it out, then catch your breath… catch your breath again…. and read on for more about the very super reunion:

Loading video...

Having Rosenbaum back for the series’ grand finale “was absolutely fantastic,” raves Smallville star Tom Welling, “because it was like he never left. We jumped right back into it.”

Coordinating the encore, however, was a veritable job for you-know-who, seeing as the deal was made late in the season and schedules had to be synched. As Rosenbaum recalls, “I called them up on like a Friday, saying: ‘Look, I want to do this, but I’ve go to film this other thing [Fox’s Breaking In] — so I’m coming up [to Vancouver] next Thursday.’ And they started writing!”

Or rewriting, as the case may be. “We had already started breaking the finale,” executive producer Kelly Souders tells TVLine. “But it was pretty easy and seamless to rev up that story faster.” After all, she notes: “It’s Lex!”

8 Reasons Why Smallville‘s ‘Booster’ Episode Is Golden

Though Clark does a bit of a double-take in the above clip, Souders says Lex’s second coming “is not going to be a complete shock” to those who knew and loathed him. In fact, injecting him into this final beat of Clark’s journey “will be very fun,” she promises.

Fun is precisely what Rosenbaum had as he slipped on a bald cap and returned to his very, very bad ways. “I really didn’t want the day to end,” the actor shares of his whirlwind, marathon shoot. “Once you’re there, you always want more. Like, ‘Oh c’mon, this is fun. Write something else!'”

The CW’s Smallville airs the first of its final four episodes this Friday at 8/7c.

1. Patrick M says:

YES. That is all.

• Holley says:

So good. So good. I’m excited to see Lexs return. I hope it’ll be nothing short of awesome!

• dorscene says:

We need a smallville movie with the same actors in the show. To me this will round off the transformation of the whole superman story. My favorit smallville was when Christifer Reeves was a guest on the show. It really touched me to see him on tv again. Smallvilles Lex is the best also. I was supprised when he was gone but glad to see him back even though its to end the show.

• darclyte says:

There is no 1-7, lol! So, I’m watching Smallville with Booster Gold and Blue Bettle, and Clark changes in a phone booth, and there is this promo for Lex returning. Excited wasn’t quite the word.

2. Esaul says:

This makes me wish I never stopped watching Smallville :\

• Kevin says:

I’m with you. I gave up about three seasons ago and now it’s coming to an end. I almost feel like I let down the show. :)

• Joker-El says:

YOU DID MISS A LOT. You missed so much greatness. Please don’t watch the finale BEFORE watching the brilliant seasons that lead up to it.

• tivochick says:

Yes, if there is any show in history that is worth it to get any seasons you missed and do a marathon viewing, it would be Smallville. I did an 8 season marathon viewing two years ago, BEST time I have had in decades watching tv. Even episodes people complain about have merit, because there is always some lesson learned or some character growth or insight. There is still time people!

• Ray says:

No one has mentioned the incredible soundtrack of each episode.
          This, I hate to say, will probably never happen again.
          They (the music) are Completely “OUT THERE!!!”
          Sends an electrical charge up my arm (LOL) INCREDIBLE MUSIC!
          THANKS A MILLION “SMALLVILLE”….You will never be beat!!!!
          NOW,……HOW ABOUT A MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(with same cast)

• lorna says:

i watched from s2-s5/. saw some s1 eps. will watch the finale.

• Joe says:

Yeah, you missed out on a lot. Honestly, ever since the horrid Lana-witch season, they’ve really ramped it up, and the last 3 seasons or so have been stellar with Doomsday, Zod, and DarkSeid as the feature villians. Honestly, the series took a huge jump in quality the second Gough and Millar were no longer a part of the project.

• Ryan says:

The Doomsday “payoff” was disappointing though. although I did think the Zod stuff last season was great and this season is just a lot of fun to me.

• Liz says:

The Doomsday season was what drove me away from watching the show for awhile. It seemed to Chloe centric for me. I like her, but in the background. The whole Chloe being torn between the Doomsday guy and Jimmy and then Jimmy not actually being the Jimmy Olsen but his older brother really got on my nerves. I started watching again at the beginning of this season though and I think this is the best it’s been since Lana and Lex left. I have mixed emotions about the finale; I can’t wait to see it, but I don’t want it to end now that I’ve gotten back into watching it.

• SmH says:

That’s about when I wandered off, too.

I’ve been catching an episode here and there, and getting re-interested. Last night, at the end of Booster Gold, I *thought* that I’d glimpsed the Real Lex, but was unsure, as it went by so fast.

For Lex–I am THERE.

• Esaul says:

I actually never really watched new episodes. I got into Smallville rather late, so I was watching all the reruns on ABC Family, then without much of a warning, they took it off its lineup.

• nyles brown says:

You Can watch all the SEASONS and all the EPISODES at http://www.letmewatchthis.ch click TV SHOWS type SMALLVILLE in the search bar click on the screen shot next screen scroll down u’ll see ALL the SEASONS and ALL the EPISODES click an episode next screen scroll down u’ll see a list of uploaders I think the 2 best upladers are SOCKSHARE and PUTLOCKER.com click on 1 of those versions next screen there will be a pop up close it before u continue clicke the option that says{{Continue as Free User}} there will be another pop up CLOSE BEFORE U CONTINUE next screen clike the option that says{{click to play}} NOTHING ON THE LEFT SIDE. Once U click that option the episode should play (((((SAME THING GOES FOR MOVIES)))) If U have any problems HMU at my name .com

• nyles says:

@yahoo.com sorry forgot to put that.

• Tony says:

You made the right decision. The show went downhill at the start of season 7 and has gotten so bad since then that I’m purplexed that people defend it.

• Dark lady says:

Yeah yeah bla bla the show sucks after season 7. You don’t like it then don’t freaking post and move on. -_-

• Bahaha says:

BAHAHAHA! You’re perplexed people defend it? What a joke. Smallville is an incredible show, and it’s a shame people like you can’t see that.

• Jeff says:

Because you are wrong. If you’ve actually watched the show since season 7, you couldn’t possibly say that with a straight face.

Seasons 9 and 10 have unarguably been some of the best in the series. To say season 7 is better is nothing more than trolling.

• Carrie says:

Nonsense. I don’t know what show you’ve been watching (or not watching), but the last three seasons have probably been the show’s best.

3. Lori says:

Holy s*** lol that was awesome :)

4. Joker-el says:

HOLY FRAKINN HELL! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SMALLVILLE AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

that was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Helena says:

Ah Clex. Friends or ennemies, it’s always good to seem them.

6. Martin L Cahn says:

OK, seriously, like we couldn’t have had an “11” button on that poll?? Wow!!!! :-)

7. Akiyama says:

Holy frakin’ frak is right.

8. Lindsey says:

best video ever. but he didnt shave his head…he used a bald cap…well i guess if hes also doing other tv work that requires him to have hair thats ok….HES BACK. and yes there should be an 11 button on the poll

9. Sourabh says:

For a few seasons in between I used to wonder if I was making the right decision by sticking with the show. Things like this makes it worth it.

10. Cat says:

I’m so glad that we’ll get to see Lex again! Too bad it’s for the finale. :’-( I’d watch a 11th season. :) I’ve been a Smallville fan right from the start and May 13 will be a very very sad day.
    Thanks for posting the clip!

11. Jamie says:

BEST. PROMO. EVER.

12. deedeedragons says:

Lana the witch & vampire! i forgot how bad some of those episodes got, makes me relevaluate last couple of seasons.

13. Caroline says:

Its actually a scene that I saw Lex in that made me want to watch Smallville in the first place. Go Lex!

14. Epic. Just epic. Can’t wait to have the real Lex back. I hope the finale is a good as this promo!

15. un-holy says:

WOW! I haven’t been much thrilled with SV this season(last season was a lot better) but seeing Lex again, I’ve got to admit, really gave me goosebumps. He is one badass villain!

It looks like a very promising finale!

16. Eric says:

I agree about the last 3 seasons. I have been there since the beginning, but my son lost interest until about 2 1/2 seasons ago. He has been hooked (again) since that time.

17. Dominique says:

This qualifies as a truly epic preview and return! Rosenbaum is back, I’m so exicted!!
    I’m looking forward to May 13th SO much, and at the same time, I’m dreading it terribly cause I don’t want it to end.
    Thank you so much for posting this Matt, we Smallville fans are happy that a TV Line reporter loves the show as much as we do!

18. Chris says:

I can’t wait!!! It’s just so sad that it’s all over after this. I wish they would give us one more season with just Lex and Clark :(

19. Chatty says:

This is fantastic. I dare say that – arguably – the return of a character to a television show has never been more anticipated. Nobody plays Lex Luthor as well as M.B., not even the Academy Award winners from movies past. He owns the part.

20. Brenna says:

while its great lex is back, im super excited seeing clark in that tux(?)!!!

• laz says:

don’t get to happy about that tux if he looks like that with lex that means lois and clark don’t get married cause it looks like he is not married when he is with lex at the luthors place and we already know that lex is in the 2 part and the wedding is in the 1 part and if he is not married when he is with lex that means they don’t get married and that kiss in the promo with lois and clark with clark in the glasses is a mindwipe kiss now why would he kiss her in the glasses if not for a mindwipe and lex will get mindwiped to watch.

21. Faith says:

Even though I have hated seeing the Luthors back I am pleased for everyone else that is happy and Matt your efforts are always appreciated. You bring the best spoilers, news etc and you put it out there in the most entertaining way and I sincerely thank you for that.

22. elena says:

Epic Promo!!!!!!

A big thank you to Matt for supporting the show and for giving us these great scoops!!!!:-)

23. Jack-El says:

I had pretty much given up on Michael Rosenbaum coming back and even grew a little annoyed with all the repeated questions about his return in the final season. I sort of felt that if he didn’t want to do the finale then to heck with him; we didn’t need him to appear. I had felt like I moved past seeing MR as Lex Luthor…until I saw this promo. Holy smokes! I can’t say I’ve ever been amped up for a finale as I have this one after seeing him return. I just wish that it wasn’t only the series finale that he reappears in…uggh! Lex and Zod have been the absolute best villains in the series but Lex has been one for many years and MR ‘owns’ that role.

• un-holy says:

You’re right. I miss Zod too. But the return of the main villain for 7 seasons (and the main villain of the Superman lore) is such a gigantic event

24. Jack-El says:

I add my sincere thanks to Elena’s for Matt and his continued support of Smallville and his wonderful spoilers over the years. You’re the man, Matt!

• Fe Rosa says:

So.Much.This!!! It´s so good to know people like Matt respect and support this show. Thank you so much for many hints/spoilers/jokes/happy throughts about Smallville, Matt! You rock!!!

25. JO says:

Wow. The last episode will be epic. I can not wait to see Clark, Lois and Lex.. and of course superman to appear.

I am soo going to miss this show, after watching it for 10 years.

Thanks Matt for posting this. You rock. Now.. if we only can see some Clois Wedding Clips.

• laz says:

well if clark is after lex and left lois at the alter that means lex means more to him then lois if i was lois i would get on a plain and never come back.

26. yoho says:

OH MY GOD

27. Lois Lane says:

OMG I am SO excited AND sad for May 13th!!! May 13th is when my Superman movie comes out :D Forget about the Snyder reboot :P

28. Stella22 says:

I might watch the finale after that!

29. Eric says:

WOW!!! Just freaking wow! Did anyone catch the 33.1 reference at the very end when they showed the “Smallville” logo? ANYONE?! HOLY FREAKING CRAP! I’m so freaking happy they brought it full circle there. Loved it! I can’t wait, but I can at the same time. I don’t want this to end.

30. Jesse says:

10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. Khorrie says:

OMG!!!!!! THANK YOU MATT.

32. laz says:

well this is for you matt since i just came from k site and seen what you said about us coming over here and writing why don’t you come on here and write one of your comet’s under mine and tell what are the odds of me geting a scene of clark lois and lex or just a scene of lex and lois i came over here to write just for you my friend so make me a happy guy and tell me what the odds of that scene is.

33. Stephanie says:

SUPER excited about this! That promo is so epic.

I only wish that Lana were coming back too – as a “Lexana” fan, I would liked to see them share one more scene again.

• laz says:

if lana is not in the last eps i would be shocked and the fact when they was filming the last eps at the same time the wrap party was and kk was at the season ten wrap party i think it’s a save bet she will share a scene with him because i think she made her way back at the same time mr was filming i just don’t wan’t them to do a wedding and you don’t see who the bride is tell the vail is lefted as a clois fan that would be bad but i would love to see lana back a scene with her and lois is a must cause as much as i would like to see a scene with the big three of the comic book and i am a comic book fan first but what a scene with lana and lois that would be.

34. Peter says:

OMG LEX LUTHOR HAS RETURNED !!!!!!!

35. laz says:

sounds like since mr told them he was coming back they cut something from the scipt if i to guess it will be the i do’s so clark and lois wan’t be married after all is said and done or the nightflight was cut.i wonder if that is the reason why ed got out of town so she don’t hav’t to give a interview she speaks her mind and if she did not like what they did to lois at the end she wan’t do a interview cause she’s always do’s interviews but not this time she jumped seas quick thats telling there.

36. Kerntyo says:

lex’s head looks oddly big with the bald cap

37. laz says:

well since they are going to let guest stars dicktate how the script is writen and since the last eps is all about the first three seasons the best one i love watching is lois and she was not in the first three seasons i will just go to k site after all eps are done and see if i wan’t to buy the dvd set witch i wan’t if they treat lois like they did in the middle of season 8 and if you don’t know what i am talking about it’s callied the AOS.

38. hiphopcop says:

Sounds good, go out on top.

39. javier says:

AMAZING…WONDER…OMG…I´M SO, SO, SO HAPPY

40. jeff says:

I’ve been watching since Day one. Looking back, yes, there are some truly terrible episodes, but also, some of those truly terrible episodes are a LOT of fun. The Lana Vamp episode, terrible, but it was a pretty good Halloween episode and was a lot of fun, especially the Daily Planet stuff.

3rd season was my favorite, then the 5t/6th seasons, and then now the 10th. The horrible Witch season Uggggh, and then the terrible Supergirl season during the writers strike was really bad. But, as SOON as those two punks left who were too afraid to embrace the comic book aspect of the show, the series got ten times better. The last 3 seasons have been great, with a few slips here and there, but nothing too major. I’m glad Souders and peterson decided to really ramp up the ridiculous, but AWESOME comic booky type things and really embrace that sort of stuff. It truly is a comic book show now and I love it.

41. Justin says:

Yay for Lex Luthor!!!!! And was it just me or did i hear Lex’s voice turn different when he said, “Im Lex Luthor” It actually sounded like Darkseid when he possesses a person like Godfrey. If they make Darkseid possess Lex in the whole finale I will really be pist! Lex is evil enough and awsome enough on his own without Darkseid’s help. Lex is back, Chloe, martha, Jonathon, and Lionel all return for this epic 2 hour episode! Thats what I call loyalty! That was a awsome and probably the best trailer ever!! Clark Kent vs. Lex Luthor and it looks like by what the trailer shows Lex was actually dead. I always thought he survived somehow by one of his clones being blown up instead or something but that trailer definitly convinces me that Lex Luthor is dead (currently at least) but im excited he is coming back from the ashes! Maybe because Darkseid unnaturally brings Lex back, somehow Jonathon comes back to and thats how he is in the finale. And boy the Luthors are definitly one of a kind! Right when we see them die they just keep popping back up lol. Julian Luthor died, and later came back as a clone that Lex made, Lillian Luthor died and later was a dead spirit trying to help Lex, Lionel Luthor was killed by Lex but his alternate earthly doppleganger arrived to this world and is more evil then ever, and now Lex Luthor was killed by Oliver Queen but is being brought back from the dead supposably by Darkseid. Not even the kents surpassed Death in this way lol. Luthors….. like Lex once said, “we Luthors are made of pretty tough and definitely expensive material.” Lol No kidding Lex =)

42. excited says:

Why does Clark go to the burned down mansion in his tux??? ..

• Mark says:

Well, he gets married in the finale, so I’m guessing that’s why he has the tux.

• Sabrina says:

do you think he is in tux because he’s is marrying Lois and something crazy happens like always =)

• laz says:

because clark can’t hide his feelings for lex no more every since there first kiss in the very first eps clark want’s to get hitched to lex and not lois a change hart by the boy wonder.

43. AndyLuvr says:

WOW. Is that music also from John Williams? This is so exciting!!!

44. Nick says:

if it were possible to vote higher than a 10 on the poll i would have. I cant wait for the episode.

45. Sabrina says:

WOWWWWW! i just gasped and bursted into tears! this is going to be EPIC. Smallville has become part of my life and as much as I’m not ready for the end..to have Michael replay LEX is the best way to end it!

46. JK says:

Just watched Smallville w/ Booster Gold!…. Spin off please!!!!!! Smallville’s DC TV Universe has too many possibilities for coolness to just fade away in a matter of 3 weeks!

47. vb13 says:

Seriously, 10 is not a high enough freakin’ number!!! I got chills as soon as I heard his voice, I couldn’t breathe, and I had to rewatch it way too many times because I could not stop screaming in absolute glee!!!

Thank You Michael for coming back and ending a FANTASTIC show the ONLY way that it could possibly end!!!!!

48. Regina says:

Holy shipyards, this is awesome! I am so ecstatic for the finale.

49. Brittany says:

This is so awesome I seriously can’t wait I love Michael and Lex is a freaking amazing character and Micheal is the best Lex in my opinion theres no one better.I really hate to see Smallville end it’s going to be a sad day for a lot of people.But i’m still super excited to see how Smallville will end and Michael of course.

50. Chaz says:

Guys, this is some good edting: The lex that was in the truck appears a milisecond before Lex takes off that mouth cap thing. Thats odd…..

OMFG!!!! 33.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!