Rumor Patrol: Will Susan Lucci Get Desperate?

On paper it makes perfect sense: Soon-to-be-unemployed All My Children icon Susan Lucci takes her super-soap act to primetime on ABC’s Desperate Housewives.

There’s just one problem: It’s not true.

A source close to Housewives tells TVLine that “there’s no truth at all” to a report in New York Post‘s Page Six column that claims the Emmy winner will join the cast next season, adding that the idea has not even been discussed.

Of course, that’s not to say it couldn’t happen. If ABC at some point decides to transplant Lucci from Pine Valley to Wisteria Lane, they should do it right and have her play Erica Kane. Think of the possibilities — and then share ‘em in the comments!

1. Lori Glass says:

I think Susan Lucci would be an awesome addition to the cast of DH! They should totally add her!

2. Mandy says:

Too bad- I would go back to watching DH if she was on….

3. Kate says:

That would make me tune in again for sure. Stopped watching DH consistantly two years ago. I watched AMC from the time I was 12 until I was 30. Having Erica Kane move to Wisteria Lane is a- stroke.of.genius! And THINK of the viewers she would bring with her OMG!

4. Brynna says:

That would be the best thing…ever.

5. Cannolicake says:

Yes! Bring La Lucci to Desperate Housewives. But I want her to play a character that is very different from Erica Kane.

6. John Berggren says:

As long as there is no more wink-wink, nudge-nudge than your typical episodes of DH, I’m sure it could work. That said, between Vanessa Williams and Dana Delany, the 5th (or 6th?) housewife part seems to go to much higher profile actresses.

7. David says:

La Lucci? Yes! Erika Kane? No. Erika Kane would NEVER be caught dead in the suburbs!

8. AlistairCrane says:

Susan Lucci won’t move to the West Coast, so they’d have to fly her home and back each week to film the show. Can’t see it happening.

• maggie says:

All My Children moved to Los Angles about 6 months ago. Lucci moved to the West Coast along with the show. She was on Rachael Ray’s show talking about how much she loves LA.

• AlistairCrane says:

No she did not. Lucci lives on the East Coast and is flown out for two weeks a month to tape her scenes.

9. Jimmy says:

As if Desperate Housewives needs another poorly developed character played by an under-utilized actress. The addition of Vanessa Williams was supposed to be a big deal and other than the reveal that she and Tom had sex in the long ago past the character has added nothing to this season, which is a shame considering how great Williams was on Ugly Betty.

• Dexter says:

I definitely agree with you. I can never understand why Vanessa received so much hype joining the show, only to be underused and given silly material to work with. Surely the producers are aware of how great she is and the possibilities she could bring to the show. AND, they were definitely aware of how big the news of her joining was, or else they wouldn’t have promoted her as such, like in the promos for Season 7. And now that the season is close to a finale, we still haven’t seen anything big from her character. If anyone says Vanessa Williams’s character Renee Perry refreshed the show or revitalized it, is suffering from a grand delusion.

• Dexter says:

With that said, Susan Lucci would be great to join the show (on paper), but I fear that she will be given lackluster material after a big summer hype-up similar to Vanessa Williams. A cast capable of great things being underused is a huge pet peeve of mine.

10. JLC7930 says:

Do it! I would love to see Lucci on DH! But not as Erica Kane. Have her be Susan’s aunt or something. She’d be great as Leslie Ann Warren’s on-screen sister. Maybe her character is an ex-soap star too. All the other housewives could be big fans. I’ll bet Lee would fall all over himself for her. That would be fun! Just a multi-episode arc, or maybe just a one season storyline. So many possibilities!

11. Romain says:

I don’t know about Desperate Housewives, since the show feels very crowded at the moment, but why not bring her back for a couple more guest spots on Hot in Cleveland? Since the fictional version of Lucci is the archrival of former soap diva Victoria Chase (Wendie Malick), it would be very funny to have Victoria savoring AMC’s demise and rubbing it in Susan’s face every chance she gets, to which Susan would delight in answering that AMC outlasted Victoria’s star vehicle Edge of Tomorrow and was much more successful etc.

12. Damian says:

That would be really interesting, but I’ve noticed it feels as though the producers only care to write anything worthwhile for the 4 leads only (with the exception of Dana Delaney’s 1st season). The show needs a major shake up by losing one or two of the orginial leads and replacing them with the likes of people like Vanessa Williams, sadly it doesn’t seem likely.

13. Karrie says:

Please Dear God in Heaven, No!

14. Antwon says:

Hold on a second here. Let’s put the blame for lack of development squarely where it belongs–THE WRITERS. I also think it’s being done on purpose. Let’s take a look back shall we? With the exception of Vanessa’s “Rene Perry” the other housewives were all added with a lame mystery: “Angie” running from the law and her psycho ex; “Katherine” and her fake daughter; “Betty Applewhite” and her crazy son chained in the basement. All were epic failures.

The writers decided to do something different with Vanessa’s character and that is introduce the character without a big mystery. I’m in the minority but I like the way they moved her around the canvas and how she mixed it up with each housewife. I think she fit in nicely. I can admit that she has been underused but do you think it’s an accident? Why would they bring in someone new and give her a dynamite story and risk ruffling the feathers of the original four actresses? I’m sure each one has a little diva in them. Need I remind you of the Vanity Fair photo shoot where Marcia Cross through a fit because Teri Hatcher was placed in the center of the photo? Google it if you don’t believe me.

Housewives are going to come and go but you will NEVER see one written to outshine Teri, Marcia, Felicity or Eva. Marc Cherry knows that all HELL will break loose. If anyone doubts that then you don’t know television. I like Susan Lucci but I don’t think she would fit on DH. There are already two divas: Gabby and Rene. And it would be a waste to have Susan play against type and probably a huge mistake.

15. deedeedragons says:

I’d rather her join Brothers & Sisters, can you imagine a Sally Field -Susan Lucci fight?

• Antwon says:

*Sits next to you! I used to love that show but man has it gone downhill. To think that they didn’t even have “Kitty” show up for her grandmother’s funeral because she was with her new boy toy! I think they have like one more season but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were canceled in May.

16. S says:

thats a good idea BUT that does that mean that Vanessa Williams is gone because VDub was the only reason Im still watching DH.

17. CA says:

I am so bummed this is not true.

18. Gloria says:

Lucci is far better an deserves better than DH would be degradeing to the capabilites Lucci has to offer. She has for 40plus yrs. Been as she should remain Erika Kane if not ABC perhaps Erika will live elsewhere but NOT Westeria Lane

19. melly says:

I’m sure LaLucci will not be out of work for long. Whether she joins an already established show, or someone writes something specifically for her, she will have a legion of dedicated followers. I’ve been a fan since I started watching AMC in the mid 70s, and am anxious to see what she does next. Who knows, she might just want a break for a while.

20. jlouise15 says:

After the first season of Desperate Housewives, I thought Susan Lucci should have been added to play Gabbies mother. I even sent that suggestion to the show. But, that story line has already been done. Susan would still be a great addition to the show!