Ratings: Community Rises, Reiser Falls

The message from Community viewers this Thursday was: Thanks for the memories!

The NBC comedy’s “clip show” drew 3.3 million total viewers and a 1.5 rating, gaining 7 percent in the demo week-to-week. Enthusiasm for lead-out Paul Reiser, however, remained curbed: With 2.54 million viewers and a 0.9 rating, it dropped 23 and 18 percent, respectively, from its premiere.

Elsewehere this Thursday:

8/7c | American Idol‘s results show (of course) topped the night with 19.6 million viewers and a 5.6 demo rating, down a few points week-to-week. The Vampire Diaries (2.65 mil/1.1) dropped 15 percent in the demo.

9/8c | Bones and its “planted Finder pilot” episode delivered 11.1 million viewers and a 3.2 rating, dropping 7 and 14 percent. NBC’s The Office (6.8 mil/3.3) was down from Will Ferrell’s first visit, while Parks and Recreation (5.1 mil/2.5) held steady. Nikita back-flipped back onto that vexing bubble, sliding 12 percent to 1.94 million viewers and a 0.7.

10/9c | 30 Rock‘s hour-long 100th episode topped Mentalist and Private Practice repeats in the demo (with a 2.2) and enjoyed a tiny uptick in viewers (4.62 mil).

What did you enjoy this Thursday evening?

1. Kate says:

Yay community! I thought it was a really fun episode. Chevy provides some of the best sight gags. The shots of him double dutching had me giggling. Also loved his need to know whether Chang was creating a new stereotype. It was nice to see a lighter side of Pierce again.

2. L says:

Still bitter about Perfect Couples being cut in favor of this crappy old person’s show.

Great news about Community though. The season finale is going to be streets ahead, hope more people stick around!

• sashay says:

Yeah, I really liked watching Perfect Couples after Community. Then I could watch The Office and 30 Rock sometime after that. Either I drift off for a while, or record 30 Rock and watch it the next day. Don’t know whether P & R or Outsourced come up next, but whichever it is, I don’t watch it. I don’t like either of those shows. Same with the Paul Reiser show. The writers (or is it Paul?) seemed creatively bankrupt.

3. John K. says:

While Community may have been up slightly in the demo from last week, in terms of total viewers, this was the lowest-rated episode ever for the series. So I’m assuming the phrase “Community rises” is not intended to be a factual statement, but merely an excuse for a clever bit of wordplay.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

COMMUNITY’s demo rating was up — even the good people at TVByTheNumbers went with that in their headline. So…

But yes, more to the point, my wordplay IS clever :-D

4. Cameron says:

The Bones episode was pretty terrible. I will not be watching the Locator.

• Darren says:

Agreed. Was there really a need for a shot of him naked on the toilet with a strategic camera angle? He and the girl were unwatchable. I did like Michael Clark Duncan though. He is almost always entertaining…

5. Cindy says:

I thought the Bones ep was great. Walter, Leo and Ike had good chemistry and snappy dialogue.

• mini says:

I too enjoyed the Bones epi and will definitely be tuning in for the spinoff. Although there really was no “need” for us to see the “naked on the toilet camera angle”, as the dean of admissions said to Van Wilder “aren’t you glad we did?”

6. bamalam says:

Community needs to have a timeslot change, especially since it is competing with American Idol. 3.3 million viewers is pitiful.

7. Joe says:

Bring back Perfect Couples! It was just starting to gain momentum NBC!

8. Sarah says:

I wasn’t all that impressed with Community. It wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t fantastic either. I am still looking forward to the hour long finale.

As for Bones, I liked it. Usually I find shows need two episodes to give viewers a flavor for the spin-off characters, but this one was pretty good. It was definitely Bones cast light (probably so they could film something else too). I will watch at least the pilot fro The Finder.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Please be advised: COMMUNITY’s hour finale is now being split over two weeks. Making sure you know.

9. meliot says:

Loved that the flashbacks were flashbacks of things we never saw before. It was fresh and interesting, not like OTH this past week. That flashback episode was interminably long and boring.

10. 4F says:

30 Rock’s 100th episode was very funny. This season has been very good.

11. Ryan says:

Bring back Perfect Couples!

12. Jamie says:

I too am holding out hope that Perfect Couples is renewed. It was very funny and much better than Outsourced or most of the other failed sitcoms NBC has tried plugging in on Thursday around 30 Rock, The Office and Community.