NBC Kicks The Paul Reiser Show to the Curb

Get More: Cancellations, News, Ratings

NBC has pulled the plug on The Paul Reiser Show. Network sources confirm to The Futon Critic that the sitcom has been axed after two very low-rated outings.

Repeats of The Office will reportedly fill the Thursday 8:30/7:30c time slot for the remaining four weeks of this TV season.

Viewers proved that they were not in fact mad about the former stand-up comic’s latest endeavor, hitting it where it hurts — in the ratings. The show’s second episode this week barely registered a pulse.

The saddest part about all of this: NBC had chosen to yank the finally-finding-its-funny Perfect Couples to make room for Reiser earlier this month. Wonder if this means we’ll see the long-shelved Friends with Benefits — or Becki Newton’s Loves Bites — in the not-so-distant future? (Love Bites‘ Greg Grunberg is long overdue for an appearance on my TV — Felicity reruns excluded.)

What say you about NBC axing The Paul Reiser Show so soon? Were you digging it? Or are you happy to see it go?

Comments (73)

• Would love to see Love Bites.

Or see NBC bring Perfect Couples back. It was getting REALLY good.

Comment by Summer – April 22, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This would be awesome. Relaunch it now that it’s actually really funny! Whoever thought this should come on instead of PC in the first place probably also thought the Jay Leno show was really gonna take off.

Comment by L – April 22, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hopefully, one day, I’ll have access to the Universal vaults and I’ll be able to watch the episodes they produced for Love Bites. Until then, I refuse to believe that the show ever existed for more than a few scenes shot so that NBC could play an elaborate practical joke on us.

PS. I miss Becki Newton. I’ll even watch her in that abysmal-sounding CBS sitcom pilot she signed up for. That’s what we call true love, baby.

Comment by Dirk – April 22, 2011 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes,NBC needs to bring back Perfect Couples! By the third episode, I was really loving it. I hope to see Love Bites and Friends with Benefits sometime too. Maybe one of them could replace Outsourced? I just don’t like that show. Think maybe it has something to do with the lead – he’s really smarmy.
      As for the Paul Reiser show – Paul should have waited until he actually had an idea for a good show. I think he has probably burned off a lot of his good reputation with this inane show.

Comment by sashay – April 24, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • totally agree! Perfect Couples was hilarious….it started off kinda slow — but so did Parks & Rec and NBC was patient with that show and it turned into a huge hilarious hit for them. so NBC needs to bring back PC and be patient with it — it had SO MUCH potential and sadly really started to catch on right before they pulled it. Kyle Bornheimer and Christine Woods make for one of the best and most real couples on primetime….so funny and so likable and so relatable. same with the rest of the cast. SAVE PERFECT COUPLES!!!

Comment by anonymous – April 24, 2011 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say bring back Perfect Couples :) I could have seen it developing nicely, and I thought it fit well with the Thursday night lineup. Olivia Munn and Hayes MacArthur were classic!

Comment by Renee – April 22, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just can’t wait to see ME on my TV again. I’m LONG overdue. I loved Paul’s show. I’m bummed & confused. I’m Big Mike, hopefully on A&E now anyway so suck it!!

Comment by Greg Grunberg – April 22, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is this really Greg Grunberg, or are you messing with us?

Comment by Amber – April 22, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As cool as it would be if were really Greg Grunberg, I kind of hope it’s not…because I would be bummed to know that he thought the Reiser show was anything other than absolute crap….

Comment by Buffy Freak – April 22, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um…since TV|Line doesn’t require registration to post comments, you can type anything you want in the “Your name:” and “Email address:” fields. I could just as easily have typed Bill or Boyd or Brad instead of Bob (not my real name). So the chances of the posting being from the REAL Greg Grunberg are as slim as a sheet of paper.

Comment by Bob – April 25, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Megan, I agree completely about Love Bites. It was one of my favorite pilots of this past season! (Although, I don’t recommend screening the pilot when the kids are in the room. Pretty daring for network TV…not for me, though. ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – April 22, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Friends with Benefits. The upfront preview looked fun.

Comment by Randy – April 22, 2011 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read the article about how Paul reiser wanted a few more more episodes so people could get a feel for it. The show is somewhat funny but i felt it was 5 years too late so could be better suited for another channel…it’s KIND OF like curb your enthusiasm but pg rated. It sucks that Perfect couples had to be pulled off the air. Great show. Kyle Bornheimer is too funny not to be on TV. Those friends type shows aren’t working, i’m not sure why?

Comment by bmospr04 – April 22, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that could be classified as a mercy killing. That show was pretty bad.

Comment by Tom – April 22, 2011 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please oh please let TPTB bring back Perfect Couples. I agree it was finding it’s footing and i i’ve already watched all 11 eps like 4 times over.I know a few of the stars have booked other pilots….but a girl can dream!

Comment by Dani C – April 22, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only decent aspect of Perfect Couples were Kyle Bornheimer and Christine Woods. The rest of the cast was unbarable. Olivia Munn needs to stop thinking she is an actress. Mary Elizabeth Ellis is both not funny and not pretty and was miscast for the role. Hayes Macarthur is just creepy.

Comment by Matt – April 24, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just your opinion, baby. I thought the entire cast was brilliant. I also think Mary Elizabeth is good-looking, and find Hayes far from creepy looking. He comes across as an affluent, successful guy – perfect for the role. It would be nice if a NBC flunky actually read some of these positive comments that are spread across the entertainment boards, and talked TPTB into re-running some of their episodes for the last four weeks. I’m sure the ratings would be far above Paul’s show.

Comment by sarah h – April 24, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I likes Perfect Couples!!!!!

Comment by asdfads – April 22, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no idea what they were thinking putting this on in the first place. Ten years ago, maybe, but not when they had something already building steam in hand. I respect that they’re giving shows like Community a chance to find themselves, but with boneheaded moves like this, it’s clear that they’re flailing. The best move now would be to un-cancel Perfect Couples. At least flail in the right direction.

Comment by TimW (No, not that one) – April 22, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the pilot was bad. But then I watched the second episode and it was even worse. The whole bit with the cat in the ditch…just painful. And anybody who has ever watched 5 minutes of TV knew that Paul picked up the wrong kid. And who didn’t know it would be Henry Rollins at the door at the end? It was such a mess.

Comment by Buffy Freak – April 22, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is not a shocker. It’s just not good. The bar for Reiser is higher than for the nobodies on Perfect Couples (which was atrocious) because Mad About You was just a jewel. Paul needs to rethink and do a show as well written as Mad, but something that shows him in a different light. This was like watching Paul Buckman with his new wife and kids in LA, bored with his life. He can do better.

Comment by Rowan – April 22, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Funny, I thought the awful Perfect Couples was genius compared to Mad About You. The only thing more irritating than Paul Resiser is Paul Resier and Helent Hunt.

Comment by Tarc – April 22, 2011 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you! For me that show was nails on a chalkboard. Helen Hunt is one of my least favorite actors.

Comment by Becky – April 23, 2011 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring Outsourced to the 8:30 slot. It’s not a 10:30 show anyway. Test out Love Bites or Friends with Benefits at 10:30.

Comment by Jon – April 22, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NO WAY. That show isn’t meant for ANY time slot! Hopefully, that show is on its way out too. As much as I was starting to enjoy Perfect Couples, I think NBC’s best bet is to forget their hairbrained idea of a 3-hour comedy night, and to just stick with the 4 orginal shows from the Thursday line up.

Comment by EB – April 23, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah bring back the original lineup. Thursdays have sucked without Cosby and Cheers. Perfect couples was so bad I cancelled it from my dvr 3 weeks before NBC did. Outsourced is far funnier than anything Paul Reiser ever bored me with and would be a perfect fit right after Community.

Comment by Joe – April 23, 2011 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Gah no! Outsourced is hideously unfunny. It could contaminate Community just by being near it.

Comment by sashay – April 24, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a bad show. I actually tried, I really did, but it was brutal. Sucks for him since this is his first real venture in years. I hope he tries again in some other way.

Comment by Stacie – April 22, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic! Paul Resier is about as funny as a root canal, and less interesting.

Comment by Tarc – April 22, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is all NBC needs on Thursdays…

8pm- Community
    8:30- P&R
    9pm- The Office
    9:30- 30 Rock
    10pm- Who cares? It’s too late. Put “The Marriage Ref” here or something.

Comment by topoopon – April 22, 2011 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN!

Comment by EB – April 23, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Slight modification: out Perfect Couples on at 8:30 again, switch P & R to 10, and then I can go find another station at 10 or watch some early news. My good NBC shows wouldn’t be split between the bad ones then.

Comment by sashay – April 24, 2011 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the 10:00PM slot, they should just go back to a procedural drama instead of comedies (Ugh…Outsourced needs to be outsourced). Hey, maybe they could renew Chuck and put it on Thursdays at 10:00PM.

Comment by Bob – April 25, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Works for me! I’d like to see Community, P&R, and Chuck all in a row, though, so that I could avoid Office and 30 Rock. I tried to like those shows, but I just don’t.

Comment by AC – April 25, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes. Bring back Perfect Couples! I avoided Paul Reiser in protest of canceling of Perfect Couples. No more new NBC shows for me until season 2 of a show.

Comment by Kelli – April 22, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree! Perfect couples needs to come back

Comment by mandy – April 23, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There’s only like 9 other shows with the exact same premise on tv right now. You’ll make due with one of those for the next 3 weeks until they get rid of them all. May I suggest Traffic Light, same show, far less annoying people.

Comment by Joe – April 23, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Traffic Light is awesome, but it’s not the same show as Perfect Couples at all. Just seems confusing if you start watching them at the same time. I recommend watching both (if Perfect Couples ever comes back) because they are very different, the only similarity is that they both involve three distinct groups of people. Traffic Light has two couples, not three, one has a child, and the other is a single. Don’t listen entirely to Joe. If you have half a brain, you’ll be able to keep them apart, really.

Comment by sashay – April 24, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope they do not bring back Perfect Couples. Though it had funny moments, the show’s concept was tired and done. Better off sending those writers elsewhere where their talents can shine. Whatever NBC decides, I really hope they change up the time slots. New show, Parks, The Office, Community, 30 Rock would definitely work for me. (Or they could replace both this time slot and Outsourced with a 10pm drama).

Comment by xoxo – April 22, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE put Outsourced in the 8:30 slot. If any comedy needs a chance to succeed, it is Outsourced. 10:30 is just wrong for this charming comedy. Everything about Outsourced is good tv!

Comment by RodA – April 22, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just one more example of what’s wrong with broadcast television. Panic and cluelessness in the ranks, everyone afraid to think for themselves, focus groups determine every single outcome, name recognition trumps anything or anyone original, and the corporate master’s slavish devotion to profits governs all. It’s ruining television. Nobody knows what they’re doing–it’s the most incestuous, insular business in the world, with inept execs getting canned from ABC on Monday, and getting hired at NBC on Wednesday. No fresh blood or fresh eyes or out of the box thinking is ever permitted. It’s still shocking senior people at networks that “Seinfeld” was a hit, and that went off the air over a decade ago. I can think of a handful of programs that were unique and not super-successful that were protected and allowed to become modest successes, and the occasional “Lost” or “The Office” would show up occasionally, but for the most part, I blame the consolidation of these media behemoths, complete job protectionism at the executive level, the fact that these same toads are only interested in doing business with the same dozen writers/producers/actors, and a complete lack of interest, from the CEO of Disney down to the guy at ABC who runs the elevator down to “The View”‘s studios, in serving the viewer. What’s happening at ABC Daytime right now illustrates that to a T. If Brian Frons can continue to work in television after this all dies down, you might as well have chimps running things, because you can pay them a lot less, and I bet the shows can’t be any worse.

Comment by Jessiekins – April 22, 2011 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh Jessiekins…..LOVE your post! Just going to co-sign it b/c I couldn’t have said it better.

Comment by Jennifer – April 22, 2011 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Perfect Couples! Dave and Julia are my absolute favorite Thursday night couple, and the show was really hitting its stride. I was so mad when it was pulled for this Paul Reiser show, which is one of the main reasons I did not watch it. I am Perfect Couples all the way!

Comment by Amy Monte – April 22, 2011 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted to like it. I’m sorry someone as talented as Paul Reiser wasn’t given the time to retool the show. The Men of a Certain Age antics with his buddies had no credibility. Actually the second episode had none whatsoever. Also, with the struggling economy, it’s hard to identify with someone who doesn’t have or want a job. The irony does not comfortably translate.

Comment by Jack – April 22, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s ridiculous. The show never even got a chance to be seen and build an audience, thanks to NBC’s lack of support for Reiser by pre advertising it well, then giving it a few more weeks to catch on. Sigh. I miss the old days of good quality TV. Not everybody wants to see people eating bugs or hitting each other with chairs. This medium is generally losing its class.

Comment by Leenie – April 22, 2011 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect Couples is NOT coming back folks. From what I read since they word that Paul Reiser’s show was cancelled is that Bob Greenblatt doesn’t like FWB, Love Bites and wasn’t a fan of Perfect Couples (Word has it that Comcast is still very upset at Olivia Munn at how she left G4). So they will rerun The Office to build momentum of Steve Carrell’s departure. Besides Perfect Couples’ ratings were crap.

Comment by tvcon – April 22, 2011 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The ratings for Perfect Couples were much better than Paul Reisers show. Anyway, what is this G4? I’ve not heard anything about Olivia Munn being blacklisted.
      As for re-running The Office to build up momentum for Steve Carell’s departure, I predict it will do the opposite. It will make it harder for anyone to replace him. It can also lead to show fatigue. Look what happened to ‘So Who Wants to be a Millionaire?’ when it aired too much.

Comment by sashay – April 24, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never liked Paul Reiser, therefore never watched this show and not surprised it was cancelled.

Comment by Brad – April 22, 2011 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With May Sweeps coming up, I think it would be much better for NBC to have Outsourced at 8:30. It would def. do much better than what it is doing at 10:30. It might even get better ratings than Community!

Comment by Hamza – April 23, 2011 02:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • U know why I didn’t watch? Because other than Chuck on DVR and the Today Show, I no longer watch NBC. It’s canceled enough good shows for crap that I just don’t bother any more.

Comment by Marian – April 23, 2011 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I refused to watch the PR show because I was protesting the fact that they took off PC for that. Seems like other people felt the same way.

Comment by Holly – April 23, 2011 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find it pretty hilarious I’m watching Felicity right now and when I read that paragraph Greg Grunberg was on the screen…I also was really looking forward to Love Bites, I wonder why it never made it onto the line-up?

Comment by Lauren – April 23, 2011 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any show is going to suffer in that 8:30 slot, since it’s going against the second half-hour of American Idol’s results show on Fox (and that’s the only part of the hour people care about with Idol).

It’s also going up against whatever CBS has that follows The Big Bang Theory. NBC should put in that slot a show that they believe in and want to let find its feet, because the ratings aren’t going to mean anything for that time period until after May.

Comment by Teresa – April 23, 2011 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Make Love Bites a summer show and if it does well move it to thrusday night in the fall.

Comment by fernando – April 23, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only if Lipstick Jungle was still on the air it would have been on season 4 and then NBC could have put Love Bites with Lipstick Jungle on wedsenday.

Comment by cindy – April 23, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, the network is right about this one but at the expense of a better show. Perfect Couples was never bad and was starting to get really funny. Some classic tv shows would never have made it with tv executives today because they had a slow start. They are too quick to give up and replace it with crap that has to be cancelled also.

Comment by scott – April 23, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh i wish outsourced was not renewed. I was not a perfect couples fan but i loved marry elisabeth ellis on its always sunny. And PC did improve from the pilot. It could get alot better if they have a second season. Like Parks and rec. If it were a perfect world i would cancel outsourced and bring in friends with benefits. Mostly because i am big party down fan and i want to see ryan hanson do another show. And i would love him and adam scott to share thursday night comedys.
    So i think
    Keep
    Community
    Perfect couples
    The office
    Parks and rec
    30 rock

Comment by Cana – April 23, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect Couples?!?!? That show was disturbingly weak. What’s worse, the only the thing special about it was that it is merely the latest and possibly worst of the anemic Friends ripoff genre.

Comment by BigJimSlade – April 23, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, it wasn’t. I hated Friends, I found the characters stupid and insipid, and it bored me to tears. However, the actors on Perfect Couples are very likable, and it was very funny. Some of the jokes were quite intelligent, so I think it might have taken a while for more people to catch on.

Comment by sashay – April 24, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, that honor would go to Happy Endings.

Comment by Bob – April 25, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve started a “Keep Perfect Couples on Air” page on Facebook. Please join! If we all try we can save “Perfect Couples”!

Comment by Bryan Liberty – April 23, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please save this moronic show 3 people watch!

Comment by Joe – April 23, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Apparently you can’t even read Joe, there are more people supporting this show on just this one thread. But perhaps intelligence and the ability to count is more than I can expect from somebody that actually watches Outsourced.

Comment by sashay – April 24, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paul Reiser belongs on broadway or in michael bay films or a vegeterian restaurant or any of the other numerous places where i’ll never have to see him.

Comment by Joe – April 23, 2011 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, if the real Paul is anything like the Paul that was in this show, I for one would want to stay far away from him. Incredibly whiny and narcissic.

Comment by sashay – April 24, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Perfect Couples.

Comment by wes – April 23, 2011 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED Perfect Couples and was so mad when it was cancelled! I watched the second episode of the Paul Reiser Show and it was pretty stupid. Bring Perfect Couples back!!

Comment by Allison – April 24, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You people miss the important part of the article– on which channel is megan watching reruns of Felicity?!?!?

Comment by Tracey – April 24, 2011 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Office re-runs are btter than Perfect Crap and this Reiser crap anyway. And the office has been terrible this year.

Comment by Nick – April 25, 2011 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a shame that they didn’t give Perfect Couples a few more episodes. I was unsure of it, but it really started getting good. Paul Reiser show was Curb Your Enthusiasm without the funny.
    I think NBC used the spaghetti method for choosing shows. They throw everything at the wall, see what sticks. For them sticking is 22 million viewers in the first 2 weeks of a new show. What they forget is even a rating juggernaut like Friends took a while to find it’s stride. You are already the last place network NBC- try letting some things stew for a little while before you pull the plug.

Comment by Kevin – April 25, 2011 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t mind the return of Perfect Couples. I’m not surprised this show tanked, the previews looked awful.

Comment by Jonathan – April 25, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, but I really liked the Paul Reiser sitcom. It had Paul Reiser and Omid Djalili, two of the funniest men in TV this week. This show was the only sitcom I watched on the famed Thursday night lineup. This blows.

Comment by Susola – April 25, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post