Californication Scoop: Hank's Hip-Hop Hook-Up

Californication‘s upcoming fifth season is going to be off the hook, foshizzle.

The Showtime comedy has tapped Grammy winning hip-hop pioneer, Wu-Tang Clan leader and occasional actor Robert Fitzgerald Diggs (a.k.a. The RZA) to join the cast in a major recurring role.

Diggs — whose acting resume includes roles in Ghost Dog, Due Date and Repo Man — will play a slightly dangerous hip-hop mogul who Hank (David Duchovny) considers writing a movie for.

The tentative name of Diggs’ character is Apocalypse.

Comments (35)

• Mike, really with the fo shizzle? kinda racist. You can do better…

Comment by bmospr04 – April 22, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed.

Comment by John – April 22, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For anybody who isn’t familiar with Californication, he is quoting the main character, Hank.

Comment by L – April 25, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that if you play the race card ever.. you must have a little racism in you.

Comment by retardedbutamazing – April 25, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He wasnt being racist, he was quoting Hank, you would know that if you watched the show!!

Comment by jennifer – April 25, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you watched the show you would realise that they are quoting the main character Hank Moody saying forshizzle, so their is no need to be sanctimonious really. Everyone needs to get the whole picture before shouting the word racism, ironic that so much ignorance is to do with racism, you mis-interpreting the meaning of this article and jumping on the bandwagon. good for you buddy.

Comment by jared – April 25, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • seriously…this is NOT a politically correct series….some folks may be too sensitive to watch.

Comment by sunday – October 6, 2011 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “foshizzle” “Fa real, yo!”?

Really? Lame.

Comment by Slappy san – April 22, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreed.

Comment by The Summer Man – April 22, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • foshizzle?!? really this is what we’re spending our time commenting on. do you people read tvline on a regular basis? So 1990′s. So Ausiello.

Comment by Mark C. – April 22, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was going to be Gillian Anderson!

Comment by ML – April 22, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t even know who this is! So can’t say I care.

Comment by Coz – April 22, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t care much for this new but the tweet made me laugh “not Gillian Anderson.”

Comment by Jamie – April 22, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks to the other commentors, thought I was going to be the only one expressing shock and dismay. Poor writing that’s borderline racist.

Comment by astralgirl01 – April 22, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ha! Michael, I’m an African American that works in the industry and reads your site everyday, and I just wanted to say that I don’t find “foshizzle” to be racist because I recognize that the “foshizzle” was directed at the fact that RZA is a hip-hop artist, not merely an African Amercian. But as a fan of hip-hop, I gotta tell you I’m dissapointed, yo! Only west coast rappers (mainly Snoop) use “foshizzle”, not east coast rappers! lol. And, I’m sure you know, but just in case you don’t, Snoop and RZA are indeed two different individuals. Bam! Educated, son! lol :-)

Comment by sloppyseconds – April 22, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People, I’m sure you must realize that Michael is NOT racist.

Comment by Sourabh – April 22, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GOD some of you take yourselves way to seriously…

Like the first 10 comments are ridiculous.

You all need to get a life.

Thanks for the story Ausiello and the laugh.I can’t wait to see Hank with RZA…that’s going to be funny.

Comment by NickC – April 22, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been an Aushole for a couple of years. I’m sure Michael didn’t mean anything by it. I don’t like the expression b/c it was in reference about a rap artist. If fo shizzle is a main choice of expression, that would be ok but use it for this way, didn’t feel right. I just not like when people use old rap slang to describe rap or something urban but that’s another convo. I maybe alone and that’s cool. I enjoy Michael’s stuff and switched my alligence to TVline from EW. Glad RZA is getting a shot on the show. He’s worked hard at his craft and getting respect for it.

Comment by Bmospr04 – April 22, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hah, so “foshizzle” is now “borderline racist” in this universe? Really? How, exactly? Sure it’s not good writing — just a horribly generic slang white people suddenly “learned” to use, so they can sometimes fail miserably at convening some sort of street gloss –, but you people gotta be borderline insane for thinking this is any racist.

Comment by godzilla_foil – April 23, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only people who found foshizzle racist is completely idiotic and wants to stir up drama because they have nothing else going on in their lives but yell out RACISM at the very chance to do it. Everyone needs to get over themselves and quick being so uptight about everything being racist. If you watch the show you would know what he was doing, quoting the main character! So get a life people, and quit yelling out racism at every damn chance you get, it’s getting flipping OLD!

Comment by jennifer – April 25, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Naw, it’s just stupid.

Comment by Jace – April 24, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good. When I first saw “foshizzle” I thought it was going to be another Snoop Dogg appearance. Thank God Hollywood has moved on from him. And if Showtime ever wanted to get the highest ratings ever for that show, they SHOULD try for Gillian Anderson. Make it a multiple episode arc to stop people from dumping the service after her appearance.

Comment by Bob – April 25, 2011 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For anybody not familiar with Californication, he is quoting the main character, Hank.

Comment by L – April 25, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You people are so dumb calling him racist. Thx for the heads up great news I love the Rza foshizzle……. LOL

Comment by Gene – April 25, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, before everyone continues to post about how is use of ‘foshizzle’ Is racist, think for a second. The word is clearly used to quote the main character Hank Moody’s use of the word during the show.

Comment by Tylor – April 25, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, not racist, just lame altogether lol. I really hate when people use over-hyped, played out Hip-Hop references to refer to anything or anyone remotely Urban. It comes off as not only cliche but corny and not authentic for those who really are in that realm.

Comment by NV – April 25, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Foshizzle it what Hank says ironically. You are all morons. Anyone who thinks foshizzle is racist isn’t just race driven themselves, they’re retarded. And anyone who thinks retarded is offensive is racist.

Comment by Hank – April 25, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Though it could’ve been Denise Bryson.

Comment by Holier than Thou – April 25, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read all of the comments, just hoping a previous commenter would post a “oh, you are right, Hank does use that word in the show..” but, alas nothing!

If you are a fan of the show, you obviously know why Michael used it. It has nothing to do with Michael’s view on African Americans. BAM!

Comment by Rachelle – April 25, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ha ha ha people getting more offended by it then black people. Oh this is so funny… Umm yea I too am Black and I find what the author wrote here so not racist… I wonder do some of you folks who just comment outrageously like this ever really believe your own damn selves?? If you aren’t familiar with the show… Hank always say “Foshizzle”. What have yall been living under a rock? Snoop has coined that phrase over 10 freegin years now probably more…

Comment by B_Free – April 25, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So no one finds the author’s use of the phrase “fo’shizzle” in correlation with the announcement of a guest appearance from a hip-hop artist a little ironic? Yes, Hank does say “fo’shizzle” in the show, but I haven’t seen any authors using it in articles about Californication, that is until now.

Comment by Russ – April 25, 2011 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really? Ya’ll accuse this poor writer of being racist based off of one word? Unless its the “n” word in a derogotory context, ya’ll need to get a life, “fo-shizzle”.

Comment by Tony – April 25, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The credits should read “Repo Men” not “Repo Man”, one is a funny film that doesn’t take itself too seriously, the other is a malodorous piece of crap that take itself far too seriously, no surprise it has Jude Law in it.

Comment by OMS – April 26, 2011 02:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post