Exclusive

Californication Scoop: Hank's Hip-Hop Hook-Up

Californication‘s upcoming fifth season is going to be off the hook, foshizzle.

The Showtime comedy has tapped Grammy winning hip-hop pioneer, Wu-Tang Clan leader and occasional actor Robert Fitzgerald Diggs (a.k.a. The RZA) to join the cast in a major recurring role.

Diggs — whose acting resume includes roles in Ghost Dog, Due Date and Repo Man — will play a slightly dangerous hip-hop mogul who Hank (David Duchovny) considers writing a movie for.

The tentative name of Diggs’ character is Apocalypse.

1. bmospr04 says:

Mike, really with the fo shizzle? kinda racist. You can do better…

2. Slappy san says:

“foshizzle” “Fa real, yo!”?

Really? Lame.

3. Mark C. says:

foshizzle?!? really this is what we’re spending our time commenting on. do you people read tvline on a regular basis? So 1990’s. So Ausiello.

4. ML says:

I thought it was going to be Gillian Anderson!

5. Coz says:

I don’t even know who this is! So can’t say I care.

6. Jamie says:

Don’t care much for this new but the tweet made me laugh “not Gillian Anderson.”

7. astralgirl01 says:

Thanks to the other commentors, thought I was going to be the only one expressing shock and dismay. Poor writing that’s borderline racist.

8. sloppyseconds says:

Ha! Michael, I’m an African American that works in the industry and reads your site everyday, and I just wanted to say that I don’t find “foshizzle” to be racist because I recognize that the “foshizzle” was directed at the fact that RZA is a hip-hop artist, not merely an African Amercian. But as a fan of hip-hop, I gotta tell you I’m dissapointed, yo! Only west coast rappers (mainly Snoop) use “foshizzle”, not east coast rappers! lol. And, I’m sure you know, but just in case you don’t, Snoop and RZA are indeed two different individuals. Bam! Educated, son! lol :-)

9. Sourabh says:

People, I’m sure you must realize that Michael is NOT racist.

10. NickC says:

GOD some of you take yourselves way to seriously…

Like the first 10 comments are ridiculous.

You all need to get a life.

Thanks for the story Ausiello and the laugh.I can’t wait to see Hank with RZA…that’s going to be funny.

11. Bmospr04 says:

I’ve been an Aushole for a couple of years. I’m sure Michael didn’t mean anything by it. I don’t like the expression b/c it was in reference about a rap artist. If fo shizzle is a main choice of expression, that would be ok but use it for this way, didn’t feel right. I just not like when people use old rap slang to describe rap or something urban but that’s another convo. I maybe alone and that’s cool. I enjoy Michael’s stuff and switched my alligence to TVline from EW. Glad RZA is getting a shot on the show. He’s worked hard at his craft and getting respect for it.

12. godzilla_foil says:

Hah, so “foshizzle” is now “borderline racist” in this universe? Really? How, exactly? Sure it’s not good writing — just a horribly generic slang white people suddenly “learned” to use, so they can sometimes fail miserably at convening some sort of street gloss –, but you people gotta be borderline insane for thinking this is any racist.

• jennifer says:

The only people who found foshizzle racist is completely idiotic and wants to stir up drama because they have nothing else going on in their lives but yell out RACISM at the very chance to do it. Everyone needs to get over themselves and quick being so uptight about everything being racist. If you watch the show you would know what he was doing, quoting the main character! So get a life people, and quit yelling out racism at every damn chance you get, it’s getting flipping OLD!

13. Jace says:

Naw, it’s just stupid.

14. Bob says:

Good. When I first saw “foshizzle” I thought it was going to be another Snoop Dogg appearance. Thank God Hollywood has moved on from him. And if Showtime ever wanted to get the highest ratings ever for that show, they SHOULD try for Gillian Anderson. Make it a multiple episode arc to stop people from dumping the service after her appearance.

15. L says:

For anybody not familiar with Californication, he is quoting the main character, Hank.

16. Gene says:

You people are so dumb calling him racist. Thx for the heads up great news I love the Rza foshizzle……. LOL

17. Tylor says:

Ok, before everyone continues to post about how is use of ‘foshizzle’ Is racist, think for a second. The word is clearly used to quote the main character Hank Moody’s use of the word during the show.

18. NV says:

I agree, not racist, just lame altogether lol. I really hate when people use over-hyped, played out Hip-Hop references to refer to anything or anyone remotely Urban. It comes off as not only cliche but corny and not authentic for those who really are in that realm.

19. Hank says:

Foshizzle it what Hank says ironically. You are all morons. Anyone who thinks foshizzle is racist isn’t just race driven themselves, they’re retarded. And anyone who thinks retarded is offensive is racist.

20. Holier than Thou says:

Though it could’ve been Denise Bryson.

21. Rachelle says:

I read all of the comments, just hoping a previous commenter would post a “oh, you are right, Hank does use that word in the show..” but, alas nothing!

If you are a fan of the show, you obviously know why Michael used it. It has nothing to do with Michael’s view on African Americans. BAM!

22. B_Free says:

ha ha ha people getting more offended by it then black people. Oh this is so funny… Umm yea I too am Black and I find what the author wrote here so not racist… I wonder do some of you folks who just comment outrageously like this ever really believe your own damn selves?? If you aren’t familiar with the show… Hank always say “Foshizzle”. What have yall been living under a rock? Snoop has coined that phrase over 10 freegin years now probably more…

23. Russ says:

So no one finds the author’s use of the phrase “fo’shizzle” in correlation with the announcement of a guest appearance from a hip-hop artist a little ironic? Yes, Hank does say “fo’shizzle” in the show, but I haven’t seen any authors using it in articles about Californication, that is until now.

24. Tony says:

Really? Ya’ll accuse this poor writer of being racist based off of one word? Unless its the “n” word in a derogotory context, ya’ll need to get a life, “fo-shizzle”.

25. OMS says:

The credits should read “Repo Men” not “Repo Man”, one is a funny film that doesn’t take itself too seriously, the other is a malodorous piece of crap that take itself far too seriously, no surprise it has Jude Law in it.