Ratings: Modern Family At Season Low, Happy Endings Down But Still Besting Off the Map

It was a mixed bag of good news and “meh” news for ABC’s Wednesday sitcom megablock. The Middle (6.8 million viewers/1.8 demo rating) and Better With You (5.3 mil/1.6) held steady and notched small gains, respectively, to start the night. Come 9 pm, Modern Family saw a tiny uptick in total audience (to 9.83 mil) but dipped to a new season-low 3.7 demo rating. Cougar Town (6.3 mil/2.4) in turn was down a few points, though is still outperforming time slot squatter Mr. Sunshine by some 50 percent.

Which Wednesday Sitcom Delivered the Best ‘In Joke’?

In the 10 o’clock hour, the first serving of Happy Endings (4.7 mil/1.8) was down 22 percent week-to-week, and the second helping drew 3.84 mil/1.6. But on average the sitcom is delivering 31 percent better demos than Off the Map. And Elisha Cuthbert is rather luminous. So there’s that.

Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Axed? What’s on the Bubble?

Elsewhere on Wednesday:

8/7c | American Idol‘s 21st century songs night drew 21.8 million total viewers and a 6.8 demo rating, dipping just slightly week-to-week. Survivor held steady at 10.5 mil/3.0.

9 pm | Fox’s Breaking In comedy delivered 7.55 million viewers and a 2.5 rating, down 10 percent.

10 pm | A Criminal Minds: SB repeat led the hour in viewers (with 7.2 mil) and tied Happy Endings‘ demo average (1.7).

What were you watching this Wednesday?

1. Greg says:

I love Happy Endings. I hope ABC gives it a chance. Its their best new comedy of the season and didnt deserve being dumped/burned off in the 10 pm hour.

• Mo says:

I thought that the first couple episodes of HE was a little rough, but decided to return and check it out again and glad I did. The great jokes and the pacing felt smoother and it felt like one of my current fave comedies, “The League”. Eliza Coupe and Elisha Cuthbert are waay easy on the eyes, and I really enjoyed the “Community-esque” meta reference by Elisha to the infamously panned “Kim and the Cougar” scenario of “24”. Good stuff. I’m in for the haul. Now renewal please ABC…

2. Sarabi says:

Happy Endings FTW! :)

3. ana says:

I am boycotting ABC b/c they have horrible programming and canceled my soaps. Happy Endings looks stupid and b/c it’s on ABC probably is stupid. They’re only good shows are Cougar Town and Modern Family which I will watch on Netflix from now on. Down with ABC!

• Annie says:

Get over it already. They were only soap operas, after all.

• Jamie says:

Says the woman posting on a television forum..

• samantha says:

if it was only our soaps maybe we would get over it but its not. why dont you as viewers of abc read what there saying about there viewers. the fact that were all dogs that they can easily train. have some self respect you really applaud and allow a network/company to speak that way about you and the rest of there consumers. you really think its ok that they treat you/us in such a way. thats sad that you have such a low self esteem that you can be okay with that

• Gah! says:

Seriously, you must learn to use an apostrophe when it’s required, and learn the proper use of “there”, “their” and “they’re”, as well as “were” and “we’re”. Your post is practically incomprehensible because you’re too lazy to pay any attention to your contractions.

4. Chmarin says:

These numbers for HE are just depressing.

5. Kes says:

I could have sworn I saw a baby bunp on Julie Bowen followed by all the traditional cover poses especially the oversized purse last night. Preggers again?

6. Molly says:

BOYCOTTING ABC!!!!!! I want my soaps and would much rather be watching them then some stupid reality show or game show or Mr.Sunshine, Body of Proof, or the rest of this crap you keep coming out with!!!!!!!!

• Bored says:

Your soaps don’t air at the same time as Mr. Sunshine. You could say you prefer your soaps to the programs they are being replaced with, but it makes no sense to wail against prime time shows when they have nothing to do with choices about daytime programming.

7. Caro says:

I haven’t watched any of these shows, I don’t like them. I watched recorded episodes of The Good Wife and Parenthood – amazing shows!

8. fernando says:

Happy Ending is a funny show, I really love it and I think people should give it a chance.

9. janet says:

LOVE Off the Map!! One of the best new shows — please don’t cancel ABC!!! Find it a new timeslot!

10. keith says:

Happy Endings is funny. Ten o’clock is a tough spot for comedies or any program to generate numbers to compete with prime time.

11. aaronite_1 says:

Give Happy Endings some more time and it’s average will dip lower than Off the Map.

Now add Elisha Cuthbert to the cast of Off The Map, and they may see results!

12. Caitlin says:

They should move Happy Endings to the 8:30 slot and get rid of Better With You. That would be a solid comedy block from 8-10. And i love Happy Endings, it is really funny and fits well with the other Wednesday night shows.

• DB says:

Happy Ending works better w/ Cougar Town, they are the same best friends forever kind of show, while the rest of the comedy block are more family focused. ABC should flip the order of airing Happy Ending, the even-numbered (second and forth) episodes are funnier than the odd-numbered episodes.
      Modern Fam, Cougar Town (so glad it’s back), and Happy Ending all were very solid and funny, great episodes.

13. Jeri says:

Modern Family should be beating everything! They were great last night, as usual!

14. XK says:

Glad to see Breaking In still pulling decent numbers. Despite the hooplah over Happy Endings, I find Breaking in a lot more enjoyable.

15. AlistairCrane says:

Modern Family just wasn’t funny last night. I loved Cougar Town but didn’t stick around for Happy Endings—doesn’t look like my kind of show.

16. EdTV says:

I like seeing the ratings rundown, but not always sure I understand how they work. (Total Viewers versus Demo Rating what’s a good number etc) You should consider posting an explanation of how ratings work so we could be more informed readers. Then you can post a link to it when you do these daily rundowns so new readers will always have access to it.

17. Sos says:

No ABC for me unless it’s All My Children or One Life To Live! Someone beefs to buy ABC and save it from Evil Mickey Mouse owners. You may think we should get over it, that only shows that you don’t realize the total implications of this cancellation news.

18. Momo says:

You realize the soaps could be canceled for 5 years, come back and the plot would have advanced as much as if it had been on twice a day/7 days a week, right? Just sayin’.

19. S says:

LMAO good serves ABC and you should also BOYCOTT DISNEY everything DISNEY/ABC stupid bastards deserve everything they get

• Wow says:

Seriously, I think you have an unhealthy attachment to a work of serialized fiction. Some people seem to not have a life beyond One Life to Live. Makes me glad they cancelled it. Reminds me of when they finally take the crack away from an addict and let them detox.

20. Amber says:

I don’t get off work until 11 PM, so as always, the first thing I fire up on the DVR is Justified, which is really my favorite show anyway. I feel like these days I’m leaning much more towards cable shows than network shows, they have such higher quality in the writing and production. And last night’s Justified was one of the best of this season. The last 3 episodes have been like that, actually. Long live Raylan Givens and his cowboy hat!

21. phil says:

the CM spinoff is really growing on me. I hope it comes back next year.

22. Lizzy says:

I HATE the whole “3 new episodes then 3 old ones then 4 new and 2 old and 1 new and 5 old” … remember back in the day when they showed ALL the shows, and then just repeated the season? I miss that. I have a hard time keeping up with when a show is new or a repeat.

• Kes says:

Lizzy you are so correct! You said what we all think. Way to go.

• Cindy says:

YES!!! I thought I was the only one who remembered that! There would be 26 new episodes in a row and then you could watch them all again over the spring and summer…..catching the ones you missed (like Christmas episodes) and rewatching the great ones. Man…..those were the days!

23. tazzy says:

Wonder if any of the folks boycotting ABC as a result of canceling All My Children and One Life to Live may have had any influence on those ratings?