Rage Against the Machine: Fringe's John Noble Previews 'Extraordinary' Finish To Season

Get More: News, Previews, Scoop, Spoilers

John Noble has a message for Fringe fans: Do not underestimate the significance of 6:02 AM.

During a Thursday conference call with reporters, the actor stressed that the time stamp which Fox has cryptically embedded in promos — and serves as the title of this week’s intense hour — is much ado about something.“It’s the time that something happens, and that time frame plays through the [final] three episodes,” says Noble, who describes Season 3′s final salvo as a “trilogy.” “It’s important as we get toward the finale to remember that time frame.”

But viewers need not wait until the actual May 4 season-ender for something to happen. Far from it. As revealed in the official synopsis for “6:02 AM,” “Walternate’s thirst for revenge drives him to cause trouble in the other universe.” But how?

We took that burning question to Noble. “What happens,” he revealed, “is that Walternate finds a way to activate the machine,” the doomsday device that has taunted viewers and the Fringe team since last season’s finale. “As a result, our world starts to seriously break down, which of course prompts panic on our side.”

That means that this universe’s Fringe Division will finally have to resort to “ambering” — sealing off — compromised areas, while Walter scrambles to find a solution.

“Walter has to get his best faculties back together again and do exactly what [William] Bell told him he could do — resolve his problems by whatever means he needs to.” Does that mean what we think it means? Yep. “[Walter] has to allow Peter the freedom to be a hero, instead of being a protective parent.”

As this week’s hour winds down, “We finish in a very dramatic place,” Noble teases. “It’s a very powerful episode, and the beginning of three extraordinary episodes.”

Tags: ,

Comments (14)

• i can´t wait!!!!!! damme it’s too long ’til FringeFriday….

Comment by tamara – April 21, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So exciting!!! I can hardly wait for it to air…Much as I love Supernatural, Fringe has been the Friday night must not miss show for me. If they both have new shows, I always DVR SPN and watch Fringe live if not going out. Awesome direction to the writing and acting this season!

Comment by sashay – April 21, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not picking on you.. (I swear)….
    Is that a typo and supposed to be May 6th… or is the finale on May 4th….

Comment by PsiHawk – April 21, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They have such a great way of tantalizing us with each new episode! Of course, it’s a very tantalizable (is that a word?) show! I’m salivating! Thanks for always keeping us up to the minute, Michael and Matt!

Comment by TV Gord – April 21, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The finale would be May 6th as that’s a Friday. May 4th is just a typo.

Comment by Paul – April 21, 2011 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Fringe” is such a terrific show. I’m so glad it’s coming back for a 4th season.

Comment by Carrie – April 21, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they’re gonna start using amber. I can’t wait to see that!

Comment by Dayo – April 21, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thrilled Fox renewed this great show for another season and I absolutely can’t wait to see this “trilogy” coming up. John Noble’s Walter is my absolute fave character. Love him; love this show!

Comment by Jenni – April 21, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone give this guy an Emmy already. It’s long overdue. If not for him I probably would have never gotten hooked on Fringe.

Comment by AJ – April 21, 2011 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While John Noble/Walter was not the reason I got hooked on the show, I agree that he is long overdue for Emmy consideration. His performance in 6:02 was superb. However, considering that the Emmy awards seem to prefer to ignore most sci-fi shows (such as BSG), I am not holding my breath.

Comment by Meredith44 – April 23, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is one of the best well written show out there to date. Amazing writers and what a creative imagination they have. This show deserves recognition especially John Noble and Anna Torv. Can’t wait for next season…..

Comment by lauren – April 21, 2011 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is awesome! It just gets better and better every week! LONG LIVE FRINGE!

Comment by Lettcie – April 22, 2011 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just a few more hours and then I will really be sitting at the edge of my seat. So cannot wait for tonight.
    Fringe rules!

Comment by Cortexifan – April 22, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is certainly there to stay… I can’t wait for 6:02AM to be aired for us Fringe fans to enjoy!

Comment by scuta70 – April 22, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post