Jim Carrey Joins the Star-Studded Office Finale

The Office finale just became sssmokin’ hot, thanks to funnyman Jim Carrey.

Sources confirm to TVLine that the big-screen comedy megastar is set to appear in the NBC sitcom’s May 19 season-ender.

Details surrounding Carrey’s Dunder Mifflin walk-on are being kept under wraps, but odds are he’ll be vying for Michael Scott’s vacant manager spot alongside fellow guest stars Will Arnett, Ray Romano, Catherine Tate, James Spader and Ricky Gervais.

Steve Carell’s Office Exit Gets Supersized

Unfortunately, Steve Carell’s current Office replacement, Will Ferrell (DeAngelo Vickers), will no longer be puttering around Scranton come finale time — but that’s still a whole lot of funny for one group.

NBC was unable to officially confirm the casting scoop, which was first reported by GiveMeMyRemote.com.

Thoughts on Carrey’s Office gig? Think he fits in well with the rest of the comedy folk? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Finales, News

1. Catmandoo says:

Ya know… I’ve loved The Office since day one. And when I heard Steve Carell was leaving, I gave it the benefit of the doubt. When I heard Will Ferrell was stepping in, I had a few reservations, namely I don’t find him funny at all, but I was plesantly surprised last week.

I truly do not enjoy Jim Carrey’s work AT ALL. I am not looking forward to this. I think he’ll overshadow everything else just trying to Jim Carrey the heck out of it.

Maybe it’s time to move on from this show.

• Timm says:

Well it’s not like he’s joining the cast permanently (one would assume)…

• Reality says:

Carrey has done a fairly wide range of comdey and drama. I fear you are locked into his Ace Ventura days.

• Caio says:

No, no, he really tends to overdo everything almost every time. Even A Series Of Unfortunate Events, which was not a comedy, was turned into a joke by his overacting and waaaaay out there comedy.

I do think he’s a good dramatic actor, I just hate him in comedy.

• postsalot says:

Yes by all means don’t bother watching.

Though I like the phrase “Jim Carrey the heck out of it”. Use to be Robin Williams people would say that about.

• wellsbanker99 says:

I think thatyou are an idiot if you dont find either will farrel or jim carrey hilarious. You truly are a “tool” stop watching if you dont like the new cast.

2. Lee says:

Why would anyone not like this? Should be awesome!

3. Matthias says:

How the hell is The Office affording all these special guest appearances?

4. Stephanie says:

I’m assuming these guest stars will only have cameos on the show.

I honestly wanted Catherine Tate to take over, she would be fresh and fun- especially when playing opposite Rainn Wilson.

I think we’ll get someone we already know as boss and they’ll just add someone new for fill whatever position…like Dwight becoming bos (no, please, he’s perfect where he is) and then someone takes his spot.

• Bob says:

I, too, would like Catherine Tate to be the finalist. But as posted previously, she’s going to be starring in Shakespeare’s “Much Ado About Nothing” with David Tennant in London. That’s scheduled through September 3rd. Kind of hard for her to be in Los Angeles to tape The Office this summer AND star in a London play. Oh, well.

5. Bob says:

The answer will probably be “None of the Above”. I think the producers/writers are just throwing out a bunch of red herrings. I’m sure every guest star will just be interviewed for the job. They’ll have their two minutes to shine. At the end of the episode (and hopefully not next season!), they’ll announce the safe choice that no one is paying attention to because of the red herrings.

6. april-ann says:

I never agreed with The Office resorting to Will and Grace style stunt casting. They don’t need it with their talented cast. I guess it is easier for the writers than having to come up with fresh new lines for the cast. A good sign that maybe this show is done.

7. ken says:

it’s a smart move by NBC because they know the show is going to take a ratings hit after Michael leaves. So it gives the show a chance to remain in the spotlight. But it also comes off extremely desperate. Willing to give it a shot, not going in with high expectations. This is going to be too severe of a change for this show.

8. Chris Davis says:

I think this is fantastic. I don’t understand why fans of The Office would complain about the amazing guest stars we are getting to see. The list was already unbelievable, and now they are adding Jim freaking Carrey!!!! This is frakktastic! Will Ferrell, Jim Carrey, Will Arnet and Ray Ramano are four of the funniest people in film/televisions over the last two decades. This is absolutely mind blowing! I wish that Steve Carell wasn’t leaving, and I wish The Office could have gone on forever in its current form, but the way the stars are aligning (figuratively and literally) for this years finale is the next best thing.

To the people complaining about Jim Carrey… how can you possibly know what to expect from this guy?!? Jim Carrey has had a long, impressive and extremely varied career – the Ace Ventura days are 15 years ago – did any of you see how awesome Carrey was in I Love You Phillip Morris? Also, The Truman Show is one of my favorite movies, and it really isn’t very funny at all. The dude has range!

• april-ann says:

All great points. But fans of The Office are exactly that, fans of The Office. Jim Carrey may very well have range, and all those other names may be famous and funny comedians. But it’s hardly mindblowing. You can see all these people in their various forms of media all the time, in any venue you like. Yes, Steve Carrell is leaving, he said it’s time he stayed home with the kids so his talented wife could have her turn out there. The Office does not seem to be able to continue in its current form, or else the writers would be able to come up with fresh stories (and fresh lines) for its cast. Hence all the stunt casting. Murphy Brown was able to accomplish the hilarious and unexpected with the revolving door of secretaries without resorting to stunt casting with the big names (and goodness knows I’m sure, Candice Bergen personally knew ‘em all).

9. TE says:

Catherine Tate is the worst. You americans might find her funny, but over here in England, She makes comedy for 12-13 year olds. Cheesy.

10. Jovan says:

I think Jim Carrey is going to be a great(if not permanet)guest star So they have all these great comedy people coming in, my question is, when’s Adam Sandler going to jump on the wagon? He’s my favorite. :)

11. jonathan says:

jim carrey does have range..the range to fit right in on this show..he can be serious, he can be funny, and different types of serious and funny (truman show vs. eternal sunshine) & (liar liar vs. man on the moon). i know it’s not going to happen, but he’d perfect for this show..if will farrell can fit in here, anyone can.

12. Wongyal says:

They only need one person guess who that would b
    Charlie Sheen !!! Duh!!!

13. carol says:

What time? ?@”

14. tyler says:

I would LOVE if jim carrey got on…