Exclusive

Being Erica Creator Tackles Burning Finale Qs

The third season finale of SoapNet’s time-tripping Canadian-born gem Being Erica on Wednesday took our title heroine back to her less-than-fantastic beginnings, but the resilient Erica came out the other side to pass Dr. Tom’s test and become a doctor in training. Below, series creator Jana Sinyor tackles the episode’s big questions and previews what’s ahead for the show’s fourth and final season, which she says aims “to tie up any loose ends and to give the audience closure.”

What’s Erica’s journey in Season 4 as a doctor in training? | “Season 4 is about coming full circle,” says Sinyor. “It’s about finding happiness and balance. … The regrets are done. [Erica’s] still learning about herself, but she’s learning about herself through how she’s helping as a doctor in training.” A more mature, healthy Erica will pave the way for the show to adopt a lighter tone. “We’re going to be putting a lot more comedy into the show in season 4,” explains Sinyor. “That’s not to say that some big stuff’s not going to happen.” And to reward loyal viewers, Erica will be “revisiting the most loved characters from the first three seasons,” promises Sinyor.

Who is Erica’s first patient? | The next season will pick up right where the finale left off  “with the reveal of who that is” with the gloved hand. “Erica’s first patient is somebody she knows,” teases Sinyor. “The discovery that this person is her patient is unbelievably shocking to Erica.” In addition to a patient, every doctor needs an office, and Erica’s will evolve into something that’s more reflective of who she is. “She ultimately settles on something that is quite different,” while keeping one element from the original design, explains Sinyor.

Who/what are the doctors? | While Sinyor hopes to “answer all of the big questions that people have,” some of the mechanics of the doctors may remain a mystery. “We’re working on trying to reveal what we can reveal while keeping within the bounds of the world of the show,” she explains. “We’ve always been so clear about the fact that this is not a show that concerns itself with how the magic works.” Instead, the new season will find Dr. Tom trying to follow the directive to live his life. “We are going to get a chance to see some of his struggles and see his evolution in a different way,” she says. And although Erica is a now a doctor herself, “Dr. Tom will continue to be very, very present” in her life.

What’s ahead for Erica and the many men in her life? | Erica and new boyfriend Adam will be together when the season starts. “I’m very excited about what we’re doing with Erica’s romantic life this year,” enthuses Sinyor. “I think it’s going to be very universal.” And what about fan favorite Kai, who basically told Erica he was crazy about her? “Erica and Kai have a really, really powerful connection and really strong chemistry,” she says. But there’s just one problem. “They’re separated by time. That’s a really tough thing to get around. Who’s to say what would be possible if there was a way for the two of them to somehow make that work, to somehow be in the same space, to somehow overcome that obstacle. Who’s to say?”

Will Erica’s career at 50/50 Press take off? | The addition of a new character – an assistant – certainly bodes well. “Erica and Julianne are going to be working on Jay Manuel’s book this year. That’s going to be a big feather in 50/50’s cap,” says Sinyor, who hopes that Manuel will return next season. “It’s a big year for them. They get their first employee. It starts to become like a real business, a real success story.”

What’s going on with Julianne and Brent? | While Sinyor wouldn’t say if Brent has feelings for his former boss, she did admit that a tense peace treaty has been brokered. “I don’t know if Brent is done making amends,” she continued. “I don’t know if they fully trust him again. I think what he did was pretty awful and there was a pretty big breach, but it’s definitely headed in the right direction.” In the meantime, expect to see a lot more of the former colleagues-turned-enemies-turned possibly something more. “We’re going to see Julianne in ways we’ve never seen her before. We’re going to explore her life, the ways in which she is unfulfilled in her life,” says Sinyor, adding that she’s also “just finished writing a whole episode about [Brent]” and his inability to fit inside the box.

What about the rest of Erica’s friends and family? | Erica’s mom Barb and dad Gary looked like they were on the verge of a reconciliation, but “a massive reveal about her parents that’s quite shocking” may put a damper on their happy reunion. Things don’t look any simpler for poor Judith, who will still be “having a rough time” with her marriage.

Will Season 4 even air in the U.S.? | With SoapNet closing up shop next year, it remains unclear if Being Erica will air in the states following its Canadian broadcast on CBC. Sinyor isn’t aware of any plans for another network to give the show a stateside home. Hey, DirecTV, are you looking for another wonderful, but underappreciated series? (Written and reported by Vlada Gelman)

You can catch up on the first three seasons of Being Erica on Hulu.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Previews, Recaps, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Abby says:

Oh I will be so upset if they don’t air the fourth season stateside.

• k says:

Me too! I hope at least if the first 3 seasons are on hulu that they will put them on there if they can’t find a home for it on US TV. It’s a great show, but I can also understand why it’s been on SoapNet. I don’t really see another network that would pick it up.

• Suzanne says:

I love this show, I have been watching since it began airing on SoapNet and I so look forward to it each week. In fact, it’s one of very few shows watch “live” (well during first run on SoapNet).

• DB says:

Me also. I hope some network sees what a fantastic show this is and starts off with a marathon and right into season 4.

• Rebecca says:

I will be sooo pissed if it doesn’t air in the U.S. or on the computer. Being Erica is my favorite thing to watch. Wish I could thank the author personally and she knew how much this show means to me. I am thrilled about season four Canadian version!!!!!!!!!

2. Helen says:

I REALLY LOVE this show and hope we are able to see the finale season in the US. I was happily surprised you mentioned this..I was beginning to think I was the only American watching this great Canadian Show.

3. Diana says:

I think her patient will be Brent. And I am already prepared to go to CTV to catch the final season.

4. Meghan says:

Love this show and I’ll be so sad to see it end. If it doesn’t air stateside, you can always catch the ctv episodes online. That’s what I did.

Isn’t their a US version of this in the works?

5. Nicole says:

I hope we get to see the final season in the US, this has been a favorite show of mine since it started. The characters are wonderful, they grow and change, and it’s always fun to watch each episode. If I can’t find it on TV, I’ll be searching the internet, maybe even watch it when it starts on Canadian TV in the fall

6. Kaiulani says:

Hey Lifetime!!! This is the perfect show for you. Please pick it up.

7. Relli says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW! I initially found it following Gilmore girls on Soapnet when i was going through some pretty big changes of my own. I immediately found it on Hulu and watched the whole series in a week. I am not sure i would be interested in a US version because the actress who plays Erica would be incredibly hard to replace and impossible to replicate, she is just so GOOD! I really hope that Being Erica finds a good home in the US, I CANNOT wait for season 4. This will definitely be a series i buy the complete series of once its over.

8. Lizzie says:

I’d love to see Ethan as Erica’s first patient. I really do miss Tyron Leitso. Kay would also be a great possibility.
    I really can’t wait for season 4 !

• Corinne says:

I was hoping the same thing. I’m sure Ethan spends a good chunk of time trying to figure out where he went wrong, since he’s such a decent guy and yet two women have loved him and left him.

• Kaiulani says:

Good call on the first patient being Ethan. I would love that.

• Hasret says:

OMG! I soooooooooooooo thought this exact same thing! That would be so cool! As much as I like Adam and totally LOVE Kai, I could see this being something to pave the way for our beloved E/E. I adore this show and I’m from the UK! All I can say is Thatk GOD for the Internet lol!

• Erica O says:

I think you could be right about Ethan being the first patient. I was convinced it would be Julienne. But after hearing your theory, I’m changing my mind. The creator has said that she is planning to bring back favourite characters from the previous 3 series, so bringing back Ethan wont be a surprise.

I love Erica’s and Adam’s relationship though. Her and Kai had chemistry, but her and Adam have more than that.

And yes, my name is also Erica.

9. Adriene says:

OMG! Thanks so much for covering this show and for this interview. So excited about Season 4 and I dearly hope someone else stateside picks it up. Otherwise I may have to get on a plane.

10. Pam says:

Just to echo what everyone else has said – I would be very disappointed if season 4 was not available somewhere in the US. I have surprisingly enjoyed this show. I have become very attached to the characters.

11. Lauren says:

I predict that Julianne will be Erica’s first patient. They foreshadowed it when Julianne stated to Erica “Who needs a therapist when I’ve got you”. Plus she’s quite tall, and Erica would still need to look up at her as in the final scene.

12. Angie says:

I am in agreement with everyone else that I have loved the show since season one. It’s one of the only scripted shows left on tv. I hope they’ll find a home fir it in the states too, lifetime would be perfect. If that doesnt happen hopefully I’ll be able to find it on hulu or something, I’ll be searching! I hope Ethan is her first patient I miss him, but I don’t see that happening. On a side note I loved that they played new kids on the block on the holiday episode!!!

13. Danny says:

Come on, really? This show is absolutely brutal. Had high hopes for it in the first season – great pilot, solid premise. But the characters became convoluted, as did the conflicts. But yeah, they played NKOTB, so it’s all good, right? Ugh.

14. pmb4784 says:

I used to see commercials for this show all the time and never tuned in, then one day I watched an episode and I liked it. The only problem is that it airs 11pm on wed for me so its hard tocatch it. I never knew it was a canadian show until I read thearticle. I just started watching this season midway. I like the premise of how deal with regrets and just the choices you made-I like alot of Dr. Toms sayings. I liked the way they did the season finale by making here think it wasn’t real. Sometimes people fantasize so much they loose track of reality; I know I do. I can’t wait to find out who her first patient is.

15. Antoinette says:

I love this show and I really hope they find a home in the US

16. jen says:

Did anyone else notice that it seems like the last 2 episodes are out of order? I’m confused. In the season finale, Adam is just spending the night for the first time and it’s not Christmas. But last week’s episode was the Christmas episode and it seemed as though Erica and Adam had been together a while because of their actions and the fact that everyone knew they were together. Please give me your opinions. Thanks.

• Jon88 says:

Erica was very specific at the Christmas party that she and Adam spent the night together fully clothed. The implication was clear that they hadn’t done the deed yet.

Seconding the vote for a Lifetime pickup. I’d even watch season 4 online if I had to.

• Trai says:

They actually were aired out of order. The finale (“Erica, Interrupted” or 3×12) came before the holiday episode (“Fa La Erica” or 3×13) in Canada. That’s why “Erica, Interrupted” continues right off “Adam’s Family”, with Erica and Adam in bed together, and why they’re actually together as a couple in “Fa La Erica”. I think, though, that SoapNet decided that making “Erica, Interrupted” the finale would be more effective (and I’ve seen a few Canadians saying it makes more sense our way!). So yes, the episodes were aired out of order.

17. mdaily says:

What of airing it on BBC America (since it is a Canadian show)? Sy Fy might be another good fit. If all else fails, I’ll go to Canada and catch it online. Does anyone know if DVDs are available? We might be able to catch the 4th season as a DVD release.

Thanks for the interview, TVLine, and for acknowledging this little gem of a show.

18. Nadine says:

I’m surprised this show is ending in its 4th season. Erica being trained and then acting as a Doctor opens many intriguing possible storylines.

• Danni says:

It’s actually ending in the fourth season for the pure fact that they’re making an american version. With that out there’s no way they’ll be able to find and American buyer, so they won’t be able to produce the show anymore…It’s sad, because I love it, but it does have to end eventually. I’m just hoping the American version of it is good…

19. Nikky says:

For me, the frist patience is Dr Fred …before to be a Dr, of course!
    And I see Erica whit Kai together. To challenge the time is normal in
    this show!!

20. silentbutterfly says:

Being Erica the original version is a Canadian product produced by the CBC and although it’s being aired in the US it is not reliant on the US for production. Therefore, if they decide to continue with a 5th season it will be aired in Canada even if it’s not carried in the US. But I’d say it sounds like season 4 could be the end, which will be a sad day for Canadian TV.

21. Angela says:

I just spent the last month watching this show on netflix… Amazing! Even my man enjoyed watching it with me. One thing is I would rather see erica with Adam then with kai.. I never really enjoyed his character.. Adam is way better for her. It would be great if they worked it out.. Hes just gotta suck it up that he didnt pass and Erica did.

22. TvGuruAU says:

As a fan and staunch supporter of Being Erica for the last few years, I can’t help but feel the introduction of the ever whining Adam destroyed what was a great show. Erica became caught up with his incessant whining and self pitying and things started to nosedive.

I’m hoping Adam and the ‘group’ dynamic is removed once and for all and Being Erica gets back to what it does best, quirky comedy with some surprisingly deep insight thrown in.

23. Thomas says:

Her first patient is going to be Julianne. It’s a no brainer. In the last episode she said to Erica, “Who needs a doctor, when I’ve got you.” Jana’s comments in this article, mentioning how we are going to see more about Julianne’s struggles in the final season, only add to the validity my theory, and seeing the special Christmas episode, which actually was the last episode to air in Season 3 in Canada – makes it concrete.

24. Carol says:

I hope this airs in the US. Or Hulu or Netflix. I will find it if I have to buy the last season on DVD after it has aired if I have to. I have watched it from the first episode. I love it!

25. Glen says:

I think that Erica’s first patient is Julianne as Brent is in Australia. Love the show glad they’re giving it a proper ending.

26. Laura says:

I’m live in the uk and watch the show on E4 for all the uk fans x I love the show and am excited every week :) although the theme tune is amazing I get it stuck in my head for most of the day then x

27. Caroline says:

I think Erica’s first patient will be Dr. Tom’s daughter!

• Erica O says:

Erica doesn’t know Dr Tom’s daughter. By the look on her face when she saw her new patient, you could tell that she knew them very well, and she was pleased to see them. It also looked like she hadn’t seen them in a while. Its Ethan.

28. Fran says:

I watch this program from the UK and love it. I am surprised, though, that no-one has mentioned the powerful chemistry between Erica and Dr Tom. It’s obvious that Dr Tom has a different relationship with Erica than he has with his other patients and Erica feels very close to him. Of course, there can’t be anything romantic between them but I feel there should be a point in the final series that acknowledges that Erica and Dr Tom have something stronger than just a patient/therapist relationship. Dr Tom may be a lot older than Erica but he certainly is not an unattractive man and he is such a comfort to her.

• Erica O says:

You are right. Dr Tom and Erica have a strong connection. But I think it is a father-daughter connection. Remember the time when he was upset about his daughter and took it out on Erica, and accidently called Erica his daughter’s name?

29. Lisa Hyatt says:

I love this show. A nurse told me about it while I was in the hospital for my heart transplant. I was hooked and watched season 3 at home recovering. I need closure, I have to see season 4. It is to bad Lifetime couldn’t pick it up (as well as hulu). I would love watching it next to Drop Dead Diva.

30. Kristy says:

I’m over here in Australia and I’m not sure if Being Erica airs on tv here but the dvds are out in stores! I just finished watching Season 3 of Being Erica and can’t wait for season 4!

31. Donna says:

Does anyone know if and when season 4 will be aired in the uk? I love, love, LOVE this show!!!

32. BeingEricaFan--U.S. says:

I really hope Being Erica airs season 4 in the U.S. I’ve been watching this show from the beginning…if SoapNet is not an option than Lifetime sounds like it would be perfect for it. Great show, great cast, great writers! One of the few scripted shows left that’s of great quality. One of my all time favorites!

33. milly says:

thank god they brought back kai. i dont like adam’s character. i love being erica and kai:X

34. socalgal says:

It would be a travesty for the US to not find a home for this quirky and different show. We need a show of this caliber to offset the 99% garbage we air these days. If a home is found, please advertise it loudly!