8 Reasons Why This Week's Smallville Is Golden

If you follow me on Twitter (and really, why wouldn’t you?), you’ve already gotten a taste of my enthusiasm for this Friday’s Smallville (The CW, 8/7c). But only so much can be expressed in 140-character blasts. So if no one minds, allow me to elaborate — in a teasey, rather spoiler-free manner — on why “Booster,” which was penned by Geoff Johns and directed by series lead/exec producer Tom Welling, is a bit of Smallville gold.

GOLDEN BOY | Smallville is now 2-for-2 when it comes to successfully plucking former Passions actors (e.g. Justin Hartley) to play hero. Handed a heavy scene load and an at-times unlikeable lunk to play, Eric Marstolf is pretty darn perfect as Booster, delivering sufficient gravity, as needed, when Clark confronts this supershill about his shtick.

FUNNY MAN | Tom Welling’s performance made me literally LOL twice — first with something the increasingly bumbling Clark says (to Ted Kord), and again with something he does.

SUPER SHOUT-OUT NO. 1! | There are enough references to the “Man of Steel” — including a smartly framed shot of Clark in front of just such a billboard — to give Zack Snyder hives.

SUPER SHOUT-OUT NO. 2 | This? So close.

SUPER SHOUT-OUT NO. 3 | No amount of episodic photos cobbled into a collage comes remotely close to mimicking the charged moment when Clark uses the last standing, non-vandalized phone booth in America to make a blur-motion switcheroo.

SWEET! | Dear wonder women of CW publicity: I want these cookies.

TOM TERRIFIC | Unlike Welling’s last turn behind the camera, “Booster” is not Clark-lite by any means. In fact, the hour is largely populated by just Clark, Lois, Booster Gold, Jaime/Blue Beetle and Cat Grant. As director, Welling calls the shots expertly in effects-heavy set pieces, Daily Planet walk-and-talks, and….

ONE OF THE BEST ‘CLOIS’ SCENES EVER? | Once the Gold dust settles, Clark and Lois kick back on a couch to rehash the import of Booster’s visit and the world’s need — sooner rather than later – for an “invisible” Clark Kent and an accountable “Blur” (or, as Booster suggests for a name, something that “starts with that ‘S’ you wear”). As I tweeted, yes, Welling knows how to direct the hell out of a low-light Lois close-up. And yes, at one point shirt buttons go a-flyin’. But the real beauty of the sequence lays in an unexpected yet rather understandable question that Clark raises, and the way Lois reacts to it. Then, for good measure, there is the way that they as a couple react to her reaction, heh….

Some have presumptively questioned the timing of Booster Gold’s visit, with just four weeks and five hours left to tell Clark’s tale. But I think that of lot of what goes down on Friday night is necessary, as Clark steels himself for his destiny, who he should and should not be as a hero, and how (and why) Lois fits into that future.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Badgone82 says:

Thanks Matt!!

2. Jason says:

Really excited for this episode! Thanks for the details dude.

3. Laura says:

Thanks Matt. You have eased my fears a bit about this episode being little on Clark and how this episode has a positive impact on his journey, and ultimately helps to reaffirm his decision to why he wants (and needs) to go public as Superman :) Also thanks for the shout out to Tom’s directing. I have no doubt he did an amazing job as always!

4. Mary says:

I’m really looking forward to this episode. It feels like it’s been so long that we’ve had a truly Clark Kent centric episode on Smallville. (It’s odd that that is the case when the show is supposed to be about Clark Kent…but unfortunately sometimes that does seem to be Smallville’s way.) The fact that Lois and Clark/Lois is heavily featured in the episode is a major bonus as I strongly believe that Clark always comes off the best (and the most heroic) in episodes where Lois is strongly featured. I think some of Clark’s best episodes of the last 3 seasons have been Clark/Lois/Clois centric episodes. He’s always the “hero” at the end of their episodes and since I tune in to watch Clark Kent be the hero on Smallville that’s a major selling point for me.

Very, very excited to see how Clark reacts to Booster. I hope that they don’t take the whole “bumbling” Clark thing too far. I know Geoff Johns is a major fan of the Donnerverse Silver Age Clark Kent. However, the comics had moved on from that notion over 25 years ago. The George Reeves Superman, LnC and the animated series all had more subtle and nuanced versions of the mild mannered reporter. Smallville was well on their way with “Masquerade” to developing their own vision of why Clark Kent—hometown stud–needed to dial back the awesome at work and blend in. He can’t blend in if he’s falling down stairs an acting like an idiot all the time. So I truly hope that the idea of him being “invisible” plays up the mild mannered and not Clark Kent the baffoon. It wouldn’t make sense for this version of Clark.

• Laura says:

I worry about this new take on Clark too especially in terms of the bumbling part. I do trust in Tom hoping that Clark will start one way (like Masquerade) and tone it down. I cringe at the thought of this Clark being anywhere close to CR’s Clark which would be so OOC.

• Mary says:

Well…I worry only because as much as I like Geoff Johns (and I do like him) one of the things that I know he likes that I am not in favor of is the Donnerverse version of Clark Kent. It’s very odd because DC comics had basically phased that out. The modern take on Clark Kent being mild-mannered was MUCH more relatable and subtle. But Johns tried to bring it back in Secret Origins. The only major difference was that he preserved the Clark/Lois relationship by having Lois be on to Clark right away. She knew he was putting on an act and holding back. And truly, it’s only the Chris Reeve movies where Clark is like that. The Superman show from the 50’s, Lois and Clark, the animated series and Smallville all had, imo, a better understanding of what it meant to truly blend in and be mild mannered. BUT—I do have some hope here because Matt said at the end that Clark and Lois talk about Clark having to be “invisible.” He cannot be invisible if he’s acting like a baffoon. That’s the opposite of blending in.

• Laura says:

I completely agree with all your points. I am hoping that should Clark be way too close to GJ’s love for Silver Age that it is just part of the evolution of this new Clark. He quickly learns and realizes that being too clumsy, awkward and nerdy has the opposite effect and draws more attention to him. I only hope that if he does act all CR CK (cringing at the idea of it), that is an act which is quickly retooled and revamped, per se, until something closer to the new Clark at the end of Masquerade.

• Maria says:

I freaking loved CR’s performance as Superman and Clark Kent! He was two different people. He did an A+++ job with both roles! It makes the whole thing 100% more believable. The man dserved an Oscar nod. Yeah, I said it. Let’s see if TW can do like Reeve.

• Joker-El says:

Laura – If you’ve seen the episode ‘Noir’ of Smallville, then you will have seen Tom do a great Christopher Reeve impression. Go watch it! It’s really good IMO!

• Jamal says:

Yo the invisiblity means that if someone where to think of him as Superman or find a resemblece like in the Superman returns movie you would say who? Steve Urkel is Superman lol lol lol. That’s my take obviously he will not literally be invisible because he will become one of the greatest reporters second only to Lois Lane and maybe Peter Parker lol just some marvel humor. But basically the baffoon act as you rightly say i think is to further rule him out as being SUPER in any way

• Jen says:

I agree. I haven’t read the comics, but I was fine with Clark being a Dean Cain CK instead of a Christopher Reeves Ck all these years, so I’m rather confused why they suddenly feel the need to add this bumbling, nerdy personality. Now it’s like Clark has three identities-one with Lois and their friends, another in Metropolis & and at the Planet, and a third as the Blur!

5. Luke says:

*Knocks on wood that said shirt buttons belong to Lois* ;)

Thanks for the article, Matt! Can’t wait until tomorrow night!

6. Jo says:

Thanks for the deets. Really looking forward to this episode. Tomorrow can’t come fast enough!

7. Rosie says:

Yay, thanks soo much for the scoop. Cannot wait for Booster. Best Clois scene ever??!! Im super excited now :D

8. blacknyellow says:

Matt you are a Godsend. Thank you.

9. Helena says:

Thanks Matt. You’re officially the greatest SV reporter for me. It’s the first article I saw that I find encouraging in terms of Clark. Frankly, I’m tired that G. Johns episodes are so heavily promoted, prompting us to watch them LIVE! because they’re too good (for the ratings I guess) when those eipsodes heavily feature characters that non-comic book readers don’t even know.
    I’m still not convinced of the value of getting that kind of episode so close to the end. I believe that the idea for DC was NOT to serve Clark’s story, but on the contrary, it was for them to take advantage of the boost of interest for the last episodes of the series, to dust off an unknown character. I just hope that someone somewhere in DC/SV offices, understand that the interest is to see CLARK at the end of his journey.
    Oh well, I know you do.

10. A says:

Oh bring on bumbling clark the more bumbling the better!! Sweeet this eppy looks amazing. CAnt wait till that ending though. CLois!!

11. AlistairCrane says:

I hate the new Cat Grant so I’m not excited she serves

P.S. Another former Passions star, Lindsay Hartley (Justin’s wife) played the villainess Mad Harriet earlier this season. She and Eric Martsolf’s characters were the most popular couple on Passions.

12. anotherjoy says:

Dang – I think you just made me want to watch this episode. :-)

13. Mela says:

Thanks al ot for the scoop, Matt. I’m extremely excited about this episode of Smallville =D

14. Tucker says:

Wonderful tease for Friday’s episode. The real question, though, is how did Skeets do? ;-)

Thanks, Matt!

15. sun says:

Thank you Matt! Luv you Matt! Uhrm… I mean I love your Smallville enthusiasm!!! Super-Thanks for promoting Smallville and actually watching the show!!

Looking forward to seeing Clark and Lois at the Daily Planet and their interaction with Booster, Jaime and Cat (plus the glasses, the trench and the phone booth)!

Can not wait to see all the spoiler-y stuff you mentioned (esp. like the “name that starts with the ‘S’ that you wear”). Most of all, your squee-worthy spoiler/tweet, Clois on the couch!

Also, TW’s directing of this golden epi, specifically, ED’s close-up! And, omg, did you really mean that about the shirt buttons? Hope it’s not a Mitovich tease…

16. Grace says:

Thanks for the scoop Matt. I love it when a journalist reviews or previews a show that they actually watch and like. It gets the fans excited and shows that they know what they are writing about. Well done Matt; your smallville tease and scoops will be missed by me once the show is over. Thanks!

17. Meeko says:

Thanks Matt Great article,,Your the GoldenBoy in my eyes..

18. Heatherr says:

Holy Cow! Really excited for tomorrow episode!

19. Tony says:

Clark and Lois have zero chemistry

• Tina says:

Damn right.

• Greg Havigan says:

They’ve got some serious chemistry and have had it right from the start, which Tom himself admitted. Of course you can call him a liar, but they’re so much fun to watch when they interact that I agree with Tom, they have great chemistry.

• Mary says:

Well and chemistry is subjective anyway. It’s inaccurate to say that anyone has “zero” chemistry because its in the eye of the beholder.

For me, Clark and Lois have bar none the best chemistry of any of the actors on Smallville. I have preferred Clark’s scenes with Lois over the other women since she came on the show in Season 4 and I still prefer them now. It’s not that I don’t like the other actresses. I do. I really like Cassidy Freeman and I loved Kristin Kreuk and Allison. All lovely women. And I think Clark has had cool scenes with ALL of them. I just enjoy Clark/Lois scenes the most and I personally think Tom Welling is always the best as an actor when he’s playing off Erica Durance and vice versa. I think Clark is the funniest, the most romantic and the most heroic when he’s with Lois. I enjoy them very much.

And clearly, I’m not alone. Clark/Lois have a huge fanbase. So clearly what they have been doing for the last 7 years has been working for people because people love them. And I understand why. It’s just so funny to me that we are nearing the end of the series and this petty judgmental fandom stuff is still happening. Ok…the ship you wanted to happen/like/prefer didn’t happen. Get over it. It doesn’t mean you were right and everyone who likes what the show HAS done is wrong. It just means that this is all subjective.

• Tucker says:

Things That Are Wrong! Things That Are Wrong!!
      (You’ve won the $64,000 Pyramid!!!)

• K says:

good thing chemistry is subjective ;)

• Maria says:

They have best on the show, period. No other couple can out do them.

• Tony says:

Spare me. They have nothing, nada. It’s not subjective it’s fact. The only reason these horrible actors are taken seriously is because it’s ‘Lois and Clark’ with all the history behind it.

20. Melinda says:

Watching Smallville is becoming so bittersweet. It’s wonderful to see Clark accepting his destiny, but so sad to know it’s almost over.

Matt, thank you for all the tantalizing tidbits you tossed us, and for not being overly spoilerish!

21. jeff ceragno says:

It really is going to be a sad day when the show is over…………………

22. BABA says:

23. AndyLuvr says:

Nice shoutout to daytime there with the PASSIONS references! After all, Justin Hartley and Eric Martsolf played 1/2 brothers Fox and Ethan, respectively, on that soap and even shared the same love interest, which was played by Mrs. Justin Hartley – Lindsey Korman Hartley, who appeared as Mad Harriet last fall on SMALLVILLE.

Very much looking forward to this and all the remaining SMALLVILLE episodes. I’m loving the momentum of the series but I will definitely miss it once it goes off the air.

24. Khorrie says:

Thanks for the info, Matt. Not too crazy about Lois needing to “fit” into Clark’s destiny anymore than she already is; she’s his partner at both work and home. She doesn’t need to be forced into his hero decision making to be an important figure in his life; she already is. That aside, the episode looks like fun and I’m looking forward to seeing Cat back. Shame they couldn’t let Tess in on the fun, considering she’s Watchtower now.

• Andrea says:

I love Tess but I don’t think she has any place in this episode. She’s had quite a bit of attention to her arc this season and I think it’s time for her to back up now until the series finale. Ultimately, as much as I like Cassidy, Tess is not as important to this story as Lois is and if any other character was going to get featured in this episode outside of Clark….Lois was the right person. I like Tess. But I won’t miss her this week.

And seriously…I don’t understand how anyone can criticize Lois having a place into this decision. Lois is Clark’s partner, as you said, at both work and at home. Clark has CLEARLY been the one to take the first step in getting out there as a public hero AND in realizing that he needs to put on glasses to establish this persona. But it makes complete sense for this version of the story that Lois would have input in helping him since part of the reason that Clark is choosing to put on the glasses in the first place is because he wants to protect BOTH OF THEM in their private lives. It’s traditional in the mythos for Lois to be the person who covers for Clark when he has to run off and save someone. Her status as the star reporter serves as a shield for Clark just as much as his glasses do because people look at her as opposed to looking at him and it allowed him to blend in the background while she has the spotlight. So it makes sense that she would be learning how to do that as well in the narrative.

• Khorrie says:

I’m just tired of Calrk never being allowed to do anything for himself. Everyone has to have input or outright tell him what to do. I don’t need to have Lois involved in him creating his alternate persona to know that she’s an important and special part of his life. I already know that.

As for Tess, it’s more a selfish wish to have her in this episode, but in a narrative sense, I also think she’d work just fine considering she is a part of Clark’s “team.” I by no means would expect her to be in “Booster” at the expense of Lois, but I think she could have been worked into the story with little problem. I mean, the only reason she *isn’t* in this episode is because of Cassidy’s episode count, same with Justin and Oliver. Ultimately, I’m certain I’ll be more than happy to have her arc given the attention it deserves in the remaining episodes rather than wasting one of her appearances here just for kicks (although I’d rather they left her out of “Fortune” instead).

• Maria says:

I agree, Khorrie. Lois Lane is happy being a star journalist and his number girl forever. I hope SV let’s Lois be okay with the role she plays. She’s not JLA member and she doesn’t need to be one.

• laz says:

that is like saying clark kents wife should just set back and let the man run the house with out eney input i don’t think clark would be with lois that long if that happens plus you got to remeber this the 21 centry it’s like saying ma kent and pa kent should not talk about things in there lifes are you saying what they did is wrong or are saying it’s only wrong when lois do’s it.

25. Jesse says:

Really excited for this episode! Thanks Matt

26. Sabrina says:

Thanks for the article. I can’t wait to see this episode.

27. Carrie says:

Very cool. Can’t wait to see this episode. Thanks for all of the “Smallville” info!

28. Jenny says:

Thank you so much!!! I’m more excited than ever now!!!! I will have to start following you on twitter! yay!

29. Tiva4Life says:

Matt! thanks can’t wait for episode and Clois action.

30. Jamie says:

Awesome article! I’m really excited for this week’s episode of Smallville. Thanks for this article, Matt. And yes, I do follow you on twitter as should everyone else! :)

31. Tony says:

Personally, I can’t wait for the Republican backlash against this episode, hailing Booster as a hard-working capitalist for his “hero for hire” scheme, and denouncing all those greedy socialists who expect to be magnanimously saved on Superman’s dime.

32. robert says:

this episode will be so awesome an it already has a few things i have been waiting a long time to see. this is a real superman comic episode. love this show