Cougar Town Spoiler Alert: 'Big Issues' for Grayson/Jules, More 'Flirting' for Travis/Laurie

Happy Cougar Town Premiere Day! Oh wait, that happened earlier this week. But the ABC laughfest is back in its rightful spot — Wednesdays, 9:30/8:30c — and, in honor of its return, TVLine is dishing some C-Town scoop straight from exec producer Bill Lawrence.

Jules & Grayson Hit a Rough Patch | The little glimmer of non-overbearing hope we saw in Jules’ (Courteney Cox) eyes in Monday’s episode was apparently just that — a glimmer. “Grayson (Josh Hopkins) and Jules do have big issues that come up pretty immediately,” Lawrence reveals, “but we’re not doing the ‘are they breaking up?’ finish to the season. I just don’t like putting a couple together, and then breaking them up, and then putting them together, and so on.” That said, we will see Grayson challenge Jules in upcoming episodes when her constant craziness begins to wear on him.

Travis and Laurie Play the Waiting Game | “We do address this story head-on in a big way,” Lawrence dishes of the non-stop flirtfest between Travis (Dan Byrd) and Laurie (Busy Philipps). “But it’ll be more believable when A) The character Travis is older, and B) When Dan has a different haircut — it’s the most ridiculous haircut I’ve seen in my entire life.” Lawrence candidly admits that the chemistry between both Travis/Laurie and Dan/Busy caught him by surprise and put the show in a strange spot because “their [onscreen] age difference is much bigger [than offscreen].” So, while this pairing is a very real possibility, “before we can play with that, we have to get past the creepy point,” he explains. “And I always said that the magical number is when someone’s in their 20s.”

Bobby Goes Pro | His Penny Can endeavor was just the tip of the iceberg! “We have it so Bobby (Brian Van Holt) qualifies for his first PGA Tour,” Lawrence spills, “which is our idea of how he can have a little success in his life again — albeit odd success”

Wayne the “Wine Guy” Returns | If you’re a fan of funnyman Michael McDonald, get excited because Lawrence assures us that “Wine Guy” Wayne is “back again soon” and undergoes a “major character change.” Of course, McDonald is currently a supervising producer on Cougar Town, so “he’s here anytime we need a bartender to say something,” laughs Lawrence. “And we do some things to set up his character for next year.” Rehab, perhaps?

So, fill up Big Carl, and tune in to Cougar Town Wednesday night at 9:30 pm on ABC.

1. Buffy Freak says:

I love this show and and so glad it’s back but I really, really hate the idea of a Travis/Laurie pairing.

2. Aria says:

I’ve been shipping Trav & Laurie since S1, they have fantastic chemistry

• RP says:

They do but it doesn’t mean they have to get sexy about it. I think they work best as buds with a weird chemistry. Love this show, even if it’s still a bit uneven.

• Christine says:

I completely agree! I think they work much better as friends. Weird chemistry is the best way to describe it, I definitely don’t see it as a serious sexual chemistry.

Plus, I think Laurie and Travis hooking up would throw off the whole dynamic of the group. Laurie’s new boyfriend would be Bobby and Jules’ son?? He’d be sitting around with them and drinking wine?! It would just be weird. The great part of this show is the way all of the characters interact with eachother, and I don’t want to see them do something that could alter that so drastically.

3. Brian says:

Bill Lawrence doesn’t like “putting a couple together, and then breaking them up, and then putting them together, and so on.”

Does he not remember Scrubs?

• Mark says:

I remember that in Season 3 or so, he completely blew up JD and Elliot and kept them apart for almost 5 seasons. Carla/Turk and Cox/Jordan, the other two major couples, never broke up after getting together.

• Erin says:

I’m so glad you mentioned Scrubs, because that was the first thing I thought of when I read Bill Lawrence’s comments. I watched every ep of Scrubs, and it constantly seemed as JD and Eliot were about to get together, together, or just broken up.

• Tego Livi says:

One of my favorite things about Scrubs was that after all the hemming and hawing, plus what was considered by many a final breakup, JD and Eliot actually got back together in the end. I hate when a show has a “primary sexual tension” pairing that doesn’t finally pay off.

4. AlistairCrane says:

I don’t like the idea of Travis and Laurie as a couple either. I’m also all for the break-up of Jules and Grayson. There’s more comedic potential with them split up than together.

• Christine says:

I wouldn’t really care if they split up Jules and Grayson, as I find them kind of boring, and I’m not sure why Grayson puts up with most of Jules annoying habits. I’m glad to see that Grayson is going to start putting his foot down, because in the last few episodes before the break he was really letting her get away with acting ridiculously.

• the girl says:

THIS! I would have dumped Jules a LONG time ago. Grayson may be just weird enough to be part of their crew, but he doesn’t possess enough crazy to stay in that relationship. I can’t wait to see the episodes after they break up: how does the group stay one, who is on whose side??? High larious.
        On another note, I think the Travis/Laurie hookup will work one day but Travis is WAYY more mature than Laurie. He’s not the one who has to grow up to make that happen.

• Christine says:

Jules has been a little better in these past two episdoes, but I was starting to HATE her before the break. She was being really controlling and annoying. The only reason I can come up with for why Grayson is with her is because she’s hot. I really don’t think they work on any other level. I agree, I think it’ll be really interesting to see what happens if they split up.

5. ChristineOH says:

I LOVE this show, but what is up with Jules’ wardrobe? The sheer shirts with the dark bras underneath? So weird.

6. Raksha says:

I personally love Laurie/Travis thing. Its wonderfully weird!!

7. Dumebi says:

i personally love ellie, i think her sarcasm is funny. Though i hate her constant jealousy of jule’s new friends.