TVLine Items: Glee Exec Snuffs Suicide Talk, X Factor Eyes Mariah, and More News to Know

Gasp! Is Glee planning to off McKinley High’s big bad bully?

Max Adler raised eyebrows in a new interview with TV Guide Magazine, speculating that Karofsky’s plans in Glee‘s third season may either involve “join[ing] the glee club… or he could go the opposite route and go home and hang himself like many people have done.”

Adler of course was alluding to the rash of suicides committed by bullied LGBT youths, but Glee executive producer Brad Falchuk says the Fox hit won’t be pulling from those headlines. “I can’t say it wasn’t discussed, but Glee doesn’t really feel like the show for that,” Falchuk told the mag. “We like to get dramatic and push things, but that didn’t seem the kind of story we wanted to tell.”

Glee Scoop: Will and Emma… Reunited?

Ready for more TV dish? Well…

• Is America ready for Mariah Carey, X Factor personality? Simon Cowell thinks so. In a radio interview with Spokane, Washington’s Jackie Brown, the former Idol stronghand said that while impending motherhood won’t allow the songstress to join the Fox series as a full-time judge when it debuts this fall, he “adores” Carey and believes she “will have a role on the live shows… in some form.”

• Film star Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler) is reportedly in talks to join Aaron Sorkin’s HBO pilot More as the Story Develops, says the New York Post. Jeff Daniels (Dumb & Dumber) is set to star in the series as head anchor of a Fox News/MSNBC/CNN-esque program.

• Mary Steenburgen (Curb Your Enthusiasm) will guest star on FX’s upcoming dramedy Wilfred, per EW.com, playing the mom of Elijah Wood’s character.

• Last Sunday’s TV Land Awards represented the cabler’s most-watched edition of the eponymous kudoscast to date, while its demo ratings were the best since the 2004 ceremony.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today? Let us know in the comments!

1. Amber says:

Dumb and Dumber? That’s what you associate Jeff Daniels with? Really? Not Something Wild or The Purple Rose of Cairo or Pleasantville? I’d even take Arachnophobia over Dumb and Dumber.

That being said, I am very happy that Aaron Sorkin is getting a new TV show. That guy is a brilliant writer. My excitement over the series grows with every piece of information I hear about it.

2. Reena says:

I thought Ausiello hinted that there will be death on the show and everyone speculated that Karovsky would commit suicide does this mean its someone else? Or was it the bird he was talking aboout? Im confused now…

3. Rita says:

Thank goodness they won’t be doing a suicide storyline – very prevalent and of-the-moment, yes, but so not the place for it. Glee is about rising above the pressures, not getting overwhelmed by them.

4. Robbie1212 says:

Seriously? We have to endure more Karofsky in season three? That’s almost as painful as having to endure Charice this season. I’d love to see the show go back to focusing on the original cast. Enough with the stunt casting and unnecessary cast additions!

• Wouter says:

Karofsky is in my opinion the most interesting character. Would love to see more of him during season 3. And he doesn’t have that big of a role. They’re were only 3 episodes this season where he played major part in. And he doesn’t even sing.

• Robbie1212 says:

Once was enough in my opinion. The bullying storyline is tired and played out on this show. The closeted jock has been done to death too. I rather see more of the underused Tina than have the inclusion of more useless characters.

• Kate says:

@Robbie1212 – you may think this storyline is played out, but for the hundreds of thousands of bullying victims, it is an ongoing battle. I agree with the other poster – Karofsky is a very interesting character. I hope he gets more screentime.

• Linda says:

I feel the same way. I find Karofsky so much more interesting than most of the other characters. Even Kurt feels smug — or maybe I’ve read too many interviews with Chris Colfer talking about how important his character is. I think the actor playing Karofsky brings a lot to him too. I’d love to see more of him.

• Helen says:

I find Kurt INSANELY smug too. I can’t watch his character without groaning. He made his father’s wedding about him (and just about everything else too). It sucks because I wish Kurt was likable but he just so is not. And I haven’t read any of Chris Colfer’s interviews.

5. Mumsykat says:

Jeff Daniels (how about Gettysburg?) is an awesome actor AND comedian AND singer! He does an amazing one-man stage show. I didn’t know he had an HBO series in the works, I will SO be looking for it!

6. Kat says:

Why even bothering to ask Glee producers about pending story lines? They’ve been lying to us all year about what’s going to happen! Though nothing will happen to Karofsky…the producers are using the show to promote gay acceptance so the gay characters will be safe and have the best storylines.

7. Igloo says:

Jeff Daniels in the Butcher’s Wife, was one of my favorites.

8. Mike says:

How about Jeff Daniels in one of his first movie roles? The Oscar winning movie Terms of Endearment? He was nominated 3 times for a Golden Globe for Purple Rose of Cairo, Something Wild and The Squid and The Whale. Unfortunately, IMDB also notes that Daniels is best known for Dumb and Dumber. Argh!

9. Christopher says:

I don’t know what the big deal is with mentioning Dumb and Dumber with Jeff Daniels. Are you guys saying that Dumb and Dumber isn’t AWESOME? That movie is freaking hilarious. Jeff Daniels kills in Dumb and Dumber. If anything Jeff Daniels is probably proud to have been in one of the funniest screw ball comedies of the 90’s.