Parenthood Boss On Season 3 Prospects: 'I'm Cautiously Optimistic'

Parenthood closes out its sophomore season tonight on NBC (10/9c) with an emotionally-charged episode that ties up a handful of loose ends while leaving several others dangling. But it’s an off screen cliffhanger that has fans biting their nails down to nubs: Will the sublime family drama stick around for a third season?

“I’m cautiously optimistic,” exec producer Jason Katims tells TVLine. “We’ve made the episodes as good as we possible could. There’s nothing we can do except hope for the best.”

Renewal Scorecard: Will Chuck, Nikita, Brothers & Sisters Be Back Next Season?

In the plus column for Parenthood is the fact that new NBC president Robert Greenblatt is a big champion of the show. “Bob is a supporter,” says Katims. “He has been very positive. The feedback we’ve been getting from everyone continues to get stronger and stronger, so I think that’s a good sign as well. It’s all positive, but we just don’t know yet.”

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Castle, Big Bang, Gossip Girl and More!

Luckily, tonight’s closer — which I’ve seen and highly recommend — can play as either a season or a series finale. Katims, however, insists, “I wasn’t thinking of it as a series finale. I thought of it as a season finale. On the other hand, in any finale – whether it’s a season or series  – you want some sense of resolution. The audience has earned that. It’s always about striking the balance.”

1. Nicole says:

Of all of the shows currently on the bubble, this is the only one that I would be really, genuinely upset to see canceled.

• MBJ says:

I fully concur. A fine show, good story lines and dialogue, and occasionaly some top quality acting especially from Lauren Graham. Hopefully, it will be renewed. It deserves to.

• Nora says:

Yeah, I am completely with you. I loved this season (there were probably 2 episodes that were subpar but), the vast majority of the episodes were just quality TV, really great acting and an authentic style of writing and directing that is just not seen anywhere else. I would be really bummed and disappointed if this show were taken off the air.

I think it has the potential to really carry on for many years and provides the awesome characters for spin-offs in the future if need be. It would also be possible to use the characters for movies if the show started tanking…I don’t know, I guess I just really love the characters already – a sign of great writing and acting :)

I hope it’s on for at least another season…

• MBJ says:

The Gilmore Girls ran for around 7 seasons, so many Parenthood can do the same. Lauren Graham could be a good luck charm for the show… it would be ironic considering she was not originally part of the ensemble but only came in when the actress originally slated for the Sara part had to beg off.

• Jamie says:

I couldn’t agree more. This show is one of few that my wife and I religiously watch every week. It’s just good. It’s one of few shows that gives you a warm feeling every time it ends and leaves you yearning for the stories of the characters lives to continue. So I plead when we say, please keep it alive as television seldomly gets great, heartfelt shows like parenthood that makes you feel life is all about family and the ties that bind them together.

• Barbara Peterson says:

I agree entirely. It hasn’t been since Will and Grace and the Gilmore Girls went off the air that I’ve made sure I watched a show every week. My entire family gathers together to watch the new week’s Parenthood. I love the people, the writing is natural – not overly dramatic but provocative and thoughtful – and the story line is captivating and evocative. Taking Parenthood off the air means the only thing left on t.v. worth watching is Masterpiece Mystery. Let us have 2 shows – not just one!

• KATHY FAIN says:

I didn’t start watching this show until my daughter-in-law kept discussing how great the Asperger’s syndrome storyline is. I have a mildly autistic grandson, and now our entire family is watching. Great storylines. The pain Max’s parents experience from time to time because of his disorder is palpable. And we LOVE Craig Nelson, having been huge “Coach” fans for years. Bonnie Bedelia is just icing on the cake! Finally, a drama series worth committing to!

2. Sam says:

If push comes to shove, I’d be willing to let the NBC gods sacrifice Chuck for the sake of Parenthood. There’s great, but then there’s “holy-crap-this-is-almost-as-good-as-Friday-Night-Lights” amazing.

3. Kelly says:

Parenthood is SOOOO FRIGGIN’ GOOD! I’m shocked that they are even considering a cancelation. I get teary-eyed every week; the acting is amazing; the story lines are sincere and not done in cliche ways. I love love love it. Honestly I see it getting a Golden Globe and Emmy. Why is this series even on the chopping block?

• Caro says:

I couldn’t agree more!

• Eric H. says:

Totally in agreement. No other show on television even comes close to really hitting home for me as Parenthood does.

Where it excels is that I think you can really see yourself in and identify with the characters. The problems they deal with are the kind of problems real people deal with every day.

I always thought that Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel were great together on Gilmore Girls (and separating them killed that show), but Lauren Graham and Mae Whitman take it to a whole ‘nother level. They are, in my opinion, completely believable as mother and daughter.

I well up almost every episode too, Kelly. It’s a really touching show.

• Leslie says:

I totally agree. This show is by far one of the best on television. With so many reality shows, this show gives us great, real life close to home drama. It will be a crying shame if NBC cancels this show, to give the viewers just another show about junk.

• A. Trieb says:

My sentiments exactly. The only show I will not miss – have already bought all episodes thru iTunes, so when it eventually does end (hopefully not for years…) I’ll have something decent, meaningful,funny, relatable and thought provoking to watch. Most of TV this days is garbage.

• Line says:

4. sladewilson says:

Sam is right – Parenthood is better than just plain good or even great. Hands down, one of the best ensemble casts on television today. So much talent and used so amazingly well – NBC would be idiots to cancel this show. BUT – they need to find a better time slot. Tuesdays at 10PM is absolutely brutal – esp. going up against arguably the best show in TV right now. There’s asking alot of a superb show and then there’s throwing it under the freakin’ bus…

• Caro says:

Yes, it’s definitely an amazing show. Great writing, great acting, I don’t understand why not more people are watching. If it’s because of the time it’s aired, people should just tape it and watch another time because it’s not worth missing out on!

5. Ali says:

I will seriously flip some major S**T if this show doesn’t come back. There must be SOMETHING we can do. Best show on television!

• Marie says:

Yes, there must be something we can do to have it come back for 1 or more seasons. Where do we sign up?

• Allison says:

Go to the “Save Parenthood” Facebook page and somewhere in the recent posts there is a link to a site where you can “sign” a petition to save the show. I was number 1005 yesterday so a lot more people need to sign.
        Also, “like” the official facebook page for Parenthood. It can’t hurt for the number of fans to increase.

6. C says:

I would be REALLY sad to see this show go! It’s top quality. In my opinion it is one of the most intelligent, well written and well acted shows on TV. Fingers crossed for a season three!

7. jules says:

This show is a rarity on television. It’s got drama, heart, comedy and still manages to be the most relate-able and believable TV show on right now. It’s the one show my friend and I can always talk about and see ourselves in. I really hope NBC can believe in this show and keep it. I’d be really sad and upset if it goes.

8. steve cates says:

I cannot understand why NBC is putting off renewing this great show – much like CBS and their doing the same thing with THE GOOD WIFE. Quality television drama is scarce these days, and we need to hold onto the ones we have!

• DL says:

Well said!

For the record, I think Parenthood will invariably be renewed. Even though its raw viewing numbers aren’t huge, it still tops a number of other NBC shows, and it does exceptionally well in the demographic category. Considering that the only scripted shoo-ins for renewal are L&O: SVU, the comedy block (sans Outsourced), and possibly Harry’s Law, and also considering that Parenthood is probably one of NBC’s lowest budget ventures (compared to the canceled/as-good-as-canceled The Event, Undercovers, Chase), I’m predicting we’ll absolutely see a Season 3 of this fantastic show!

• lil jo says:

UMMM do you really think all those actor/ actresses come cheap? They have a lot of characters, and many of them have a lot of clout, so I’m sure they are demanding a lot of money.

That may ultimately be the final say in this, cost of production

• DL says:

I’m sure the actors are well-paid, and deservedly so. However, consider a show like The Event that not only features a cast with clout (Blair Underwood, Zeljko Ivanek, Laura Innes, Hal Holbrook, etc.), but also must feature a wide range of locations, special effects, stunts, large amounts of extras, and goodness knows what else. Parenthood not only does better numbers; it’s certainly more affordable.
          So why not be optimistic?

9. erica says:

I adore Parenthood. My 18 yr old son has Aspergers Syndrome and the character of “Max” never ceases to amaze me with his heart and the actor’s accuracy is astounding! The storylines are real,fresh and believable. The acting is superb. PLEASE tv gods: Keep Parenthood!!!

10. Doug-H says:

I wonder what the On Demand and Online viewing numbers are??? I too was frustrated that there are an overload of good things at 10 on Tuesday.. 4-5 potential shows at the same time on Network and Cable… Thankfully, the cable shows are repeated enough to catch later and On Demand is good to have ( though frustrated that unlike my provider in Florida, Time Warner doesn’t let you FF through commercials On Demand)..

Since Parenthood was coming down to the wire this season (series), I switched to watching it live and the others later…

11. Katrinka says:

I have loved Parenthood since Episode One. The writing, characters, actors portrayals are all amazing. Often times it seems as if I’m secretly watching real people living their lives instead of a scripted TV series. The younger actors on this show are nothing short of spectacular.

12. Tausif Khan says:

While The Good Wife has better overall ratings Parenthood has better ratings from people 18-49 years old. Therefore people are speculating that Parenthood has a better chance of coming back than The Good Wife.

However, NBC should not cancel Parenthood. It is one of my favorite shows. The entire cast is so good they could each be the star of their own show. It is best to keep this amazingly written ensemble drama on the air.

13. Merrilyn says:

I. Love. This. Show. It’s the best thing on TV right now, bar none. The writing, story lines, characters and actors are all done with such heart and excellence, and are immensely relatable. If this gets canceled, I might consider an NBC boycot.

14. Tego Livi says:

Sublime? Really? I’ve told you a million times not to exaggerate.

15. Caro says:

I really hope this show will get picked up for another season. It’s an amazing show! It deserves to be continued! If not, that would be a huge loss…!

16. At this point all we can do is support the show the best way that we can but watching it live and by filling out our online form in support of Season 3 that you can find here: http://www.effusiondesign.com/parenthood

We plan to send the form submissions to NBC by the end of April, we currently have over 1000 signatures, please help the cause and support this amazing show for another well written and superbly acted show.

17. Ivy says:

Parenthood = BEST SHOW ON TV…..PLEASE RENEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jasmine says:

I will be absolutely DEVASTATED if Parenthood does not return for a 3rd, 4th, & 5th season. It is a wonderful show.

• Sharon says:

My husband and I adore the show! We would be so disappointed if it was cancelled! The connection with all the actors……… Touching! Please hear us,and renew it?

18. kiks says:

It would be another television injustice for Parenthood not to be renewed. NBC please do something right for once. Renew this fantastic series.

19. Kevin says:

It’s still a 50/50 chance “Parenthood” is still in question whether it’s a season or series finale either way its goes, the same thing could happen when NBC has a slight chance with “Chuck” so a month from now I still don’t know what lies ahead for both shows until the network TV upfronts arrives. Best of luck to both “Parenthood” and “Chuck”.

20. mandy says:

Waiting for a Parenthood 3rd season pickup is driving me nuts! I adore this show and will be devestated if NBC makes the mistake of not picking it up! I will be watching the finale tonight as it airs… (no dvr on this show)… Hopefully people who are counted in the ratings do the same…..

21. fela says:

I love Parenthood. Its a great show that is so true to life. They should not show it opposite the Good Wife. They would get better ratings if they change the time or day. Thank goodness I have a DVR so I can watch Parenthood & The Good Wife.

22. Patrick says:

If Parenthood gets cancelled, I will be very bummed. Love this show!

23. Leisl says:

Parenthood is beyond amazing and NBC would be foolish not to come through with a third season.
    Michael, at the Emmys you promised Lauren Graham you would get her nomination this year. YOU HAD BEST COME THROUGH! We have video proof, so you’d better make good. She truly deserves it.

24. Samantha says:

I love parenthood….. from sydney australia. please please dont cancel!!

I love this show!!

25. Amy says:

Please renew the show! I love Phood!

26. nathan says:

I just want to say of all the shows I watch, Parenthood is my favorite right now. I just love those Bravermans! In almost every episode, there’s a moment that gets me a bit misty eyed. Not many shows do that. Please renew Parenthood!

27. Kim says:

Please don’t cancel Parenthood! It is one of the best shows on tv right now! I’m really tired of getting into a show only to have the networks give it the ax! So please renew!!1

28. Kim says:

29. greg says:

Geez, NBC join the 21st century. I dumped cable and watch everything when I have the time. With a roku box, netflix and hulu; I can watch what I want at anytime. Nielson rating are just bad data and old news. You are missing out on a huge market.

30. Deb says:

Parenthood is the BEST program available on commercial television PERIOD! The cast has made the Braverman family one I look forward to getting together with each week. Wish it could be more often! I don’t know how I will cope until Season 3 starts up!?! Hope it is early fall of 2011 and not mid-year as has been suggested. The Parenthood scripts deal with real-world issues that are refreshingly topical! The dialogue and interplay among the ensemble members so natural! The directing and production quality unsurpassed. The set design outstanding! I am so looking to Season 3! Please do not disappoint this legion of fans!

31. Bex says:

Please please please don’t cancel this show! My husband I love it so much, I know this may be sad, but it’s often the highlight of my Tuesday, and when Monday comes around I get super excited because I know I’ve only got 1 more day to wait. My favorite show.

32. Karen says:

Parenthood is the best show on TV – and my absolute favorite. The characters are so real, and the situations are ones that everyday people face. It’s a wonderful portrayal of a real, loving family – warts and all.
    Please bring Parenthood back for a third season (and many more)!!!

33. Justin K says:

After watching the finale- I need to have a season 3. for sure. Have to have it. It was one of the best season finales that I have seen. I don’t want it to be a series finale…. at all. I feel that it is such a strong show for NBC- they would be foolish not to renew it.

34. ShortyMac says:

Mercy’s writers ended the season with a character almost about to get hit by a car, an unanswered phone call, and the uncertainty of whether a character was alive or dead. And they still canceled it and Parenthood has barely better ratings than Mercy did. I wouldn’t put it past NBC to cancel it. I’m still so mad about how Mercy viewers have no closure whatsoever about most of the characters.

I hope to God that Parenthood doesn’t get canceled.

35. Donna says:

This is the only show my husband and I make a point of watching weekly. We DVR it to fast forward the commercials, but we look forward to it so much, we can’t wait for it to record. What a wonderful look at an American family that’s not perfect but always come back to what matters most – family. Doesn’t America need to watch and hear this? Please bring it back for at least 10 more seasons.

• Jennifer says:

YES! America needs more shows like this! The Bravermans bicker, fight, argue, and make up. They love each other, and it shows. What a great example of what SHOULD be happening in today’s society. Bring back Parenthood!

36. Sonia says:

Ok, so this is the first episode that has made me cry. The episode was so good. The acting is so good. This show needs to come back for a 3rd season. It is the main show that I watch. It is the only show that I watch on NBC. I like that it is a family show, there just are many out there. I too have a son with Aspbergers so it is nice to see it portrayed the way it is.

• Phil Precourt says:

I agree…the asbergers portrayal is definitely Outstanding! Tonight’s finale and the episode where Adam lets Max cut school so that he can take him to the theme park are just two fine examples of how well this series does with this subject.

37. Lauren says:

I mean, this show is so good! It is more realistic and meaningful than any other show out there (that I watch, at least). We need a Season 3 and even more after that!

38. Phil Precourt says:

Hands down this is the best show on television….The finale was amazing, and call me crazy, but season 2 was better than season 1. NBC had better renew this show for a third season…and better yet they better give Parenthood the coveted post Superbowl episode next season. If ever there was a show that deserves the hype it is Parenthood. I certainly hope that emmy does not shy away from this series this year either. Lauren Grahm, Peter Krause, Monica Potter, and Craig T. Nelson deserve nods and the show should get some recognition overall…if the season finale is not nominated for Outstanding Writing/Outstanding Drama Series it is a travesty!

39. katy says:

I haven’t had a “show” in years. Now, I look forward to Tuesday nights every week to watch Parenthood. Really hope to see it back for a third season.

40. Melissa says:

NBC how can you not read these and the facebook page and tell me that there isnt enough viewers for a season 3 ????????/ Why such a delay its easy YES OR NO!!!!1 PARENTHOOD’S #1 FAN!!!!!!!!!

41. Chris says:

I ABSOLUTELY Love this show!!! The writing is Awesome, the story is sooo rich and the characters just come alive and every single one of them stick with you! I look forward to this show every tuesday, the season finale was sooo emotional I was fighting back tears. I really do hope it gets picked for another season and it wouldnt hurt giving it a better time spot.

• Jennifer says:

I agree with all that you have said here. It does need an earlier time spot in order to be more successful in ratings. I really hope they bring it back for seasons to come.

42. Jeri says:

This is a little off subject but re: Aspergers Syndrome, I remember reading some time ago (years) a psychiatrist commenting about the unrealist potrayal of a person with Aspergers Syndrome on one of David Kellys shows (William Shatner one) and that a much more accurate and realistic portrayal is Emily as Bones. That made so much sense to me, especially the people that think she can’t act but don’t realize she doing a excellent portrayal of a person living and succeeding with Aspergers Syndrome.

(Sorry, if this is too far off topic, I’m going to post this on a Bones post too)

43. Brandon says:

I’m a 14 year old guy and I love this show. It is perfect and it better have a 3rd season or I will kill my self

44. Karen says:

I couldn’t agree more. This show is one of few that my husband and I religiously watch every week. It’s just good. It’s one of few shows that we as a family set down every Tuesday to watch. We would be REALLY sad to see this show go! It’s top quality. In my opinion it is one of the most intelligent, well written and well acted shows on TV. Fingers crossed for a season three!

45. sarah says:

oh please, please, please give me season 3!! my little heart will be broken if you dont!!

46. Jennifer says:

It’s your modern-day soap-opera. It’s terrific writing, wonderful acting, perfect story-lines, and it would be a shame to lose a show of this substance. In a world being taken over by “reality” shows, Parenthood is REAL reality show, worth keeping around, that most of us ‘normal’ people can actually relate to. Please do what you can to keep Parenthood alive for seasons to come…

47. dfleisher says:

This has to be renewed. Im not sure what NBC would be looking at statsitics wise for why this wouldn’t be renewed. Given their history of cancellations(Conan for one) it wouldn’t surprise me if they cancelled this show. Every review i see tends to LOVE this show and if theres anyone at fault for lower ratings its NBC due to the 10pm timeslot. cut that crap off that is the BIGGEST LOSER and replace it with Parenthood. Either way if NBC drops it, this show will be picked up by another station, in all liklihood ABC

48. Jeremy says:

No other show has ever or will ever show the love within a family. No other show is so engaging.

Parenthood is simply the best of the best. Everyone can relate to it; everyone can learn from it.

Everyone can laugh at it, everyone can cry for it.

Please. We need it.

49. Jessica Pospiech says:

This show MUST CONTINUE!!! My family and I bond over this show. It’s SO realistic and nothing makes my week better than Tuesday nights at 10pm watching this show. I seriously would plan my week around it. The acting is amazing, the story line REAL and TOUCHING. I will be seriously seriously upset if there is no 3d Season. Rather than 20 million seasons of stupid, moronic TV Shows like “JerseyShore” we need 20 seasons of PARENTHOOD!! THE REAL LIFE STUFF!!! It’s messy and yet we have family and friends to fall back on and we keep on living.