First Look: HBO's Luck Starring Dustin Hoffman

Get More: First Look, Previews, Video

HBO has released a first look at Luck, its new drama series penned by David Milch (Deadwood), directed/exec-produced by Michael Mann (The Insider) and starring Dustin Hoffman. As anticipated, it looks like a sure thing.

Described as a provocative look at horse racing the owners, gamblers, jockeys and industry players — Luck stars Hoffman (in his first TV series role) as Ace Bernstein, a powerful organized crime figure. Also featured in the featurette below is Nick Nolte, as a Kentucky horse trainer with “a shattered past” but with a second chance ahead of him.

Other cast members include veteran British actor Michael Gambon (Harry Potter) as a formidable adversary of Ace’s, Joan Allen (The Contender), Dennis Farina (Wiseguy), Kerry Condon (Rome), Gary Stevens (Seabiscuit), John Ortiz (Public Enemies), Kevin Dunn (Samantha Who?), Richard Kind (Burn Notice), Jason Gedrick (Boomtown), Ian Hart (Dirt), Patrick J. Adams, Ritchie Coster and Tom Payne.

Take a look, then read on:

Loading video...

As a director, Mann says his mission is to “not to observe the racing, but place the audience within the experience.” He hails Milch’s script as a “brilliant” depiction of “not just horse racing but of how luck, when combined with skill, can have the power to change our lives.”

As Milch himself puts it, “The race track is a place of incomparable beauty, but it’s a rough racket. As a setting for storytelling, you couldn’t ask for anything more.”

Will you wager a look at the well-pedigreed Luck when it debuts on HBO later this year?

Comments (11)

• I’ve long been an HBO fan since Oz and Six Feet Under, but I can’t believe they didn’t pick up The Wonderful Year to series! It has one of the best casts ever assembled on TV.

Comment by Seany – April 19, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks to be worth watching just for the cast alone. Wow!

Comment by Steve G. – April 19, 2011 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems like a violent show… if that’s the case, it’s nothing for me. Pity because I’d love to watch Dustin in a television show every week!

Comment by Caro – April 19, 2011 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Not interested in the subject matter – so much so that the cast strength is moot.

Comment by Lisa – April 19, 2011 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With that cast? Wouldn’t miss it!!!!!!!

Comment by Paul – April 19, 2011 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Horse racing??? Are you kidding me? An entire show built around a “sport” that barely makes ESPN 2. I like Dustin Hoffman. I am a fan of HBO programming in general. But seriously, I’m about as interested in horse racing as I am in NASCAR, which is to say NOT AT ALL. I’ve had the misfortune of attending the horse track on several occasions, and I don’t even find it to be amusing in person, with a buzz. HBO: I’m still ticked off about the Deadwood thing. I look past it when you come up with awesome shows like Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire, but whenever you develop crap shows about horse racing, therapy sessions, or whatever the hell John from Cincinnati was about, it just rubs salt in old wounds. HBO, you can do better, and I expect better. Go sit on a horse and spin!

Comment by Christopher – April 19, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t be too hard on them for canceling Deadwood. They were going through a management shake-up at the time and brought in a bunch of bean counters. They looked at all the shows and axed anything they considered too expensive. They didn’t care about quality or their audience. They paid a big price in that Showtime was the beneficiary of their “temporary insanity”. They appear to have come back from the brink.

Comment by Bob – April 20, 2011 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You, sir, are an idiot.

Comment by lydia – September 7, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HI I think this is going to be a great drama horse racing is a great sport an a legend of its own seatarait was a great movie an so was seabisut an this drama has organized crime which will be alot of action everyone liked the sopano’s horse racing is just as important as baseball, football soccor an their was movie series about them so why should horse racing be left out I going to love this show I don’t have HBO on my tv but when this show airs I will order it from directv you can take that to the bank. horse racing is a legend an it is a sport that everyone should remember an people gamble all the time at cascino so they should like those parts of the movie also all I can said to you is that you are ticked off for no reason you don’t even give the show a chance you must be a sick person that ates horses an their lives an a very unhappy person in you life you better wake up an spell the coffee an learn to like something besides yourself.

Comment by barbie clark – September 28, 2011 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By this antilogic, The Social Network had nothing going for it because it was about Facebook. Gimme a fuggin break. Things are never about what they’re about, they’re about how they choose to be about it.

Comment by JheyEff – April 19, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been on the set and believe that the series has a lot of ground to cover and material to exploit Three seasons will perk interest and the material could go on for many Years.
    Horse Racing is not just another “ball game” as it involves so many variables that affect the outcome of an individual race—the mere concept of this series is exciting. I look forward to being involved in this dynamic project. GARY>

Comment by Gary Von Neida – April 24, 2011 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post