Dancing With the Stars: Did the Right Couple Go Home This Week?

Now that we’ve had a full day to digest Monday night’s eight-course tribute to Uncle Sam(ba) — complete with “Urban Cowboy” and “Stars & Stripes” attire — is anyone else feeling gobsmacked that we’re already halfway to crowning a successor to season 11 champ Jennifer Gray? Funny how time flies when you’re pondering Ralph Macchio’s secrets to eternal youth. Then again, doesn’t it feel like six seasons (or at least six months) since “Psycho” Mike Catherwood (more about him in a minute!) stumbled his way through the jive? Such is the power of Dancing With The Stars to keep us samba-rolling along without a second to catch our breath.

That said, once Sugar Ray Leonard hit the glitter-covered canvas last week, we were left with eight fairly evenly matched competitors — and after Monday’s mostly calamity-free proceedings (way to go, Kirstie!) Robo Brooke Burke’s warning to the DWTS nation rang as true as it did ominous: “Don’t assume anyone is safe on judges’ scores alone…” The smart money for tonight’s chopping block, of course, would’ve been on one of Monday night’s lowest-scoring couples: Petra Nemcova and Dmitry Chaplin; Ralph Macchio and Karina Smirnoff; or Kendra Wilkinson and Her Atrocious Attitude.

Beloved spitfire Kirstie Alley and Maksim Chmerkovskiy may have been a mere point ahead of these couples on the Judges’ Leaderboard, but surely my fellow dance-crazed Americans didn’t dare send Ms. Alley packing after her graceful fox trot and Maksim’s memorable flash of temporary-yet-patriotic tattoo?

As always, some semi-irritating, semi-refreshing formalities ensued while the nation bit its collective nails in anticipation: Country superstar Toby Keith performed his classics “Should’ve Been A Cowboy” and “American Soldier,” while the ballroom was transformed into New York City (look, a yellow cab!). And hey, Len even got a Grumpy (of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs) mug from an audience member!

But the real stunner was the aforementioned Mr. Catherwood redeeming himself (if not his jive) with his “Dancing With The Stars Exposed” feature. This LOL-worthy short not only showed Hines loudly passing gas and Chelsie dropping a falsie, but the anything-but-humble Maks uttering the DWTS quote of the night (or perhaps the decade?): “I’m a stick that’s been dipped in like a boiling pot of sex.” For capturing that bon mot, we’ll even forgive the unfortunate socks up to the calves, Psycho Mike. Bravo!

But all formalities aside, here’s the moment of truth — tonight’s results:

Kirstie Alley and Maksim Chmerkovskiy
Chris Jericho and Cheryl Burke
Petra Nemcova and Dmitry Chaplin

Chris Jericho and Cheryl Burke
Petra Nemcova and Dmitry Chaplin

Petra Nemcova and Dmitry Chaplin

“It’s been a life-changing journey for me, and I made amazing friends, and Dmitry put up with me for two months,” said the ever-classy Petra, who joins Catherwood, Wendy Williams and Sugar Ray on the DWTS sidelines of shame (okay, I didn’t really mean that). “Petra is the nicest person that I’ve ever known,” gushed Dmitry, before offering his final bit of praise for the Russian Czech supermodel. “Honestly, I’m really proud of Petra.” We are too!

And with that, it’s your turn. What lies in store for us during Guilty Pleasures week? Can Kirstie go debacle-free for another week? What did you think of Petra’s exit? Any thoughts about Brooke’s fashion resurgence this week? (I thought her slinky, cleavage-rich, ruffle-free mini-dresses were a major upgrade, didn’t you?) Sound off in the comments, and let us know in our poll if the right couple went home! –-Mitch Rustad

1. GG says:

Love you, Slezak, and I don’t mean to nick-pick, but Petra is from the Czech Republic, not Russia. And while I’m nick-picking…where is Idoloonies?

2. Can't Sleep says:

Yes and next week we get Pia Toscano!

3. adioats says:

No, the right couple did not go home. Pia sings while Mark dances on DWTS? Puleeze. I’ll skip that segment.

4. V says:

Can’t we just vote Kendra off based on her attitude alone? I’m so sick of that girl.

• betheney says:

who cares if you are sick of her – she is doing enough with her life to be asked to be on the show – what are you doing?

• Denise says:

Kendra should have gone long ago. Weirdo…….

• Eurydice says:

Yeah, we have no right to judge until we’ve all posed nude, made sex tapes and slept with creepy, old, famous guys.

• maggie says:

Sure dont you just hate beautiful women who are more interesting than you? Dont you just wish you could vote them out of your life?

• Ace says:

No, I find interesting, beautiful women… interesting, actually! Kendra, on the other hand…

Even if you don’t take her attitude into consideration, she’s the worst dancer on the show right now. She needs to go.

• Amber says:

After your comment I’ve been trying to decide if I’m just catty enough that I hate Kendra because she’s beautiful or interesting, but I’ve decided I don’t really don’t believe either to be true.

I would have loved to have seen Kendra voted off rather than Petra. I had no problem with Petra. She is a beautiful, classy, sweet lady, and Bruno and CarrieAnne were right, she has the most gorgeous long limbs and her dance poses were so pretty. If I wanted to vote beautiful women out of my life, I would have been glad to see Petra go, but I wasn’t. I also find her to be very interesting because of the terrible tragedy she’s lived through and the fact that it made her a more compassionate person and it also made her set up that great charity. Plus she’s just so nice, and I respect that.

Kendra exhibits none of these qualities, and I disagreed with Louis when he said there’s nothing fake about her. I believe everything is fake about her. Talking about your period does not make you an open person. People who often seem to be very “open” in life I believe are actually hiding their true personalities by trying to be shocking and outrageous. And that’s not interesting. Nor is it beautiful.

• Eurydice says:

I think you could pick any woman out of any phone book in any country on the entire planet and come up with somebody more interesting than Kendra. And it has nothing to do with the fact that she’s only known for having had sex with a creepy old famous guy. Lots of women throughout history got rich and famous that way – and every one of them is more interesting than Kendra.

• Robert says:

I believe – Eurydice – that the comment stated that Kendra was more interesting than YOU

5. Tim says:

Kirstie baby, alltht way, and Mak’s quote was classic, such class and self aawarreness,brills! hes”the dip stick of sex, what?

6. Diana says:

It was a hard choice for the exit poll. I haven’t stopped watching Maks’ Monday-night tattoo-reveal on repeat loop, but I refuse to acknowledge this elimination wasn’t Kendra. In the end, I chose the latter because I had no doubts in my mind it wasn’t Petra’s time to go. Kendra is definitely starting to overstay her welcome, if anything so I don’t have to listen to her talk about her time of the month on national television again.

7. Tessa says:

Oh, Petra. I actually quite enjoyed her run on DWTS – she and Dmitry were my favourites behind Cheryl and Chris.

That said, though, I suppose I’m not surprised – models don’t have a history of doing all that well on DWTS, and she’s probably not a model many people have heard of, so I’m shocked she lasted this long at all. Perhaps being insanely attractive and insanely sweet helped?

However, I think Kendra should have been forced out of there. She grated my nerves last week, and this week her whining about Carrie Ann’s comment just made me want to punch my TV. I feel bad for Louis – he has to put up with her for more than five minutes per week.

I think next week I’ll just skip her dance.

8. Jess says:

Surprised no one has mentioned Maks & that girl with the atrocious dark roots major stumble during the Toby Keith song. So glad Kirstie is safe, hoping Kendra’s pissy attitude gets sent home next week.

• Eurydice says:

I couldn’t figure out what was going on there – it was like Maks and Lacey got tangled up at the beginning and never got back in synch. And I wonder what they didn’t show us at the end when Tom made that snarky comment.

• Haha! I was thinking the same thing…I kept scrolling through the comments thinking, someone had to see that stumble! That’s 2 snafoos for Maks. Is he (gasp!) getting too old?! LOL

• CJ says:

“That girl with the atrocious dark roots” LOL! Please fix that terrible ‘do. Lacey, surely you can afford some L’oreal.
      I hope Kendra goes, too. Patriotic + slutty was more than I could take this week.

• GG says:

I noticed that too, but I think it was Lacey’s fault, not Maks’.

9. Peter says:

A while back I was favoring Macchio, and in retrospect no idea why, but I’m actually leaning towards Jericho now. While he’s up against people who have sizable fan-bases, though I can exactly fathom them, he’s improving plus he’s got a pretty good base already. Plus Cheryl seems to be really helping.

10. Nancy says:

I tried voting for Petra using my cell phone and got the message I had reached my limit for my number. I then asked my son to try calling with his phone. He got the same message. Obviously somehing was wrong with the voting system, it can’t be trusted.

11. Charlotte says:

Kendra should have gone. I don’t understand where she’s getting the votes. I liked her in the earlier weeks but obviously, you can’t keep that stank attitude hidden for too long. I was willing to give her another chance after her crappy attitude last week but when she started whining about Carrie Ann “belittling” her AND mentioning her stupid “cycle” again, she’s dead to me.

I’ll miss Petra because that girl drips elegance, something Kendra should take note of.

12. heather says:

kendra’s dancing DID improve. that said, i still don’t like her. her attitude didn’t improve, and i really am past the quest for reasons that nothing is her fault. why is it so hard to say “i could have danced better. i need to step it up if i want to stay?” Petra will be missed — kendra (soon, please) won’t.

13. Lou says:

Catherwood redeemed? Michael, have you forgotten what an awful person he really is? Redemption doesn’t come so easily for this homohpobic sleezebag.

14. 行動電源 says:

This internet website is my aspiration , rattling great pattern and perfect subject matter.

15. I really like and appreciate your blog article. Want more.

16. Merely wanna remark on few general things, The website style is perfect, the subject material is really superb : D.