The Good Wife Exclusive: Alan Cumming Back for Season 3… and 4… and 5!

This bodes well for newly-elected DA Peter Florrick’s senatorial prospects: Alan Cumming has inked a new three-year deal to continue playing campaign strategist Eli Gold on CBS’ The Good Wife.

Cumming joined Wife in a recurring capacity midway through the show’s first season and was promoted to a series regular at the start of Season 2.

Of course, Cumming’s new deal is contingent on Good Wife being around for three more seasons. CBS has yet to renew the acclaimed drama for a third season, let alone a fourth and a fifth.

For more details on this story, visit our sister site Deadline.com.

Comments (31)

• Fantastic news. He’s such an excellent addition to this (already brilliant) show. Love him!

Comment by AJ – April 18, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh. Renew the show, CBS!

Comment by SC – April 18, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS what is the matter with you? Renew The Good Wife already!!!! Best show on network TV.

Comment by sunny – April 18, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such a great show, it should be renewed for more than one year especially if it keeps so high standards. And couldn’t imagine it without Mr. Gold. Well done CBS.

Comment by Stefano – April 18, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously one of the best actors ever! He is a very layered character, as TGW has done w/everyone on the show. I remember him from Circle of Friends and simply hated him! (As I should, that weasel) – He is a brilliant actor and CBS should get off its horse and get w/it, time to renew this drama – I frakkin’ love this show, every single actor on it is barnone the best – renew, renew, renew

Comment by theRogue – April 18, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news but I’d much rather see more of Chris Noth!

Comment by Karrie – April 18, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Alan! Excellent news! Must renew.

Comment by Pamela – April 18, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This deal wouldn’t have been made if there wasn’t confidence that the show were going to be renewed. It’s frustrating that it hasn’t happened yet but it will happen.

Comment by Kevin – April 18, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually that’s not true. I’m not saying the show won’t get renewed (I think it will) but contract negotiations with actors don’t hinge on the show renewal. Just because an actor agrees to continue playing a part doesn’t mean that the part will still be there.

Comment by Jeff – April 19, 2011 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • of course, if GW is not renewed later on (i’m sure it will at least go to Season 3), they could just spin eli off on his own show. he certainly has the charisma and character enough to keep our interest. the more alan cumming all over the place, the better. mmmhmmm :)

Comment by zebrasnake – April 18, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds a lot like they’re getting ready to renew. Why sign someone to a multi-year deal if you’re not. The network has some say in these decisions.

Comment by xav – April 18, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! I only hope it is Alicia running for Senate!

Comment by Laura – April 18, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am guessing it will be Diane running for a Judge.

Comment by ty – April 19, 2011 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Alan / Eli! Fabulous news. Love The Good Wife!! The best TV since The West Wing. Time to make the commitment, CBS. Three more years!

Comment by Stefany – April 18, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news! Eli Gold is my very favorite Good Wife character. Alan Cumming is brilliant and I sincerely hope he sees LOTS of Emmy love this year!

Comment by Amy – April 18, 2011 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alan runned so great with the character Eli! Can’t wait for to see the next season!

Comment by Lily – May 9, 2011 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic news! Alan is an amazing addition to the cast.

Comment by Allison N – April 18, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!!! AMAZING NEWS!!!! I’m sure they wouldn’t sing such a long time deal if they weren’t confident enough about the show returning for at least that same amount of time… I’m starting to feel so much better about this whole thing. CBS RENEW THE GOOD WIFE NOW!!!

Comment by Roma – April 18, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not too worried about the show being renewed for next season, but if it continues to trend as it has so far, it’ll have to win a bunch of Emmys to justify a longer run. The ratings are very much like what Judging Amy got in the same timeslot (good in households, but not very good in 18-49s and gradually slipping in both). The only difference is, there isn’t a powerhouse show on the other networks (like SVU was when Judging Amy was cancelled). The one with Dana Delany is doing OK, but only with the Dancing with the Stars leadin.

Comment by Tego Livi – April 18, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Great news. He’s always so consistently good on this show. I just wish more people would watch the Good Wife especially in the demos of which I’m a part of. It’s definitely on my must watch list.

Comment by Mels – April 18, 2011 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get with it, CBS! This is the best drama on TV at the moment, and Alan Cumming is a big part of the reason for that. Delighted to hear he’s sticking around!

Comment by Ro – April 19, 2011 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MORE CHRIS NOTH PLEASE??!! THANK YOU!! :)

Comment by Diana – April 19, 2011 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife getting renewed its just one of those things that had BETTER happen. Come on CBS. Enough already!

Comment by Monique – April 19, 2011 05:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is FANTASTIC news!!!!

Comment by Caro – April 19, 2011 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • p.s. Now only CBS needs to renew the show AND give Chris Noth a contract as a series regular.

Comment by Caro – April 19, 2011 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great news surely the good wife will be back in the fall

also check out alan other show at moment in the uk

martina cole the runaway

simply brilliant

Comment by paul – April 19, 2011 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT NEWS!!! :))))

TGW is the best show ever, amazing actors and fantastic writting. I don’t get it why people don’t watch this show more or why the demo is low. I’m on my 20′s and all my friends watch the show, i don’t get why 2 shows that is about the same thing get better ratings and demo???
    TGW rocks and so team Will!!

Comment by Mandy – April 19, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SQUEEEE.

ALAN CUMMING IS LOVE.

Comment by asherlev1 – April 19, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I danced in my seat when I read the news.

Comment by susela – April 19, 2011 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thats great but seriously, bring back America Ferrera! They were so great together!

Comment by S – April 19, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved to know that there will be at least 3 more seasons ^^
    And the final episode of season 2 drove me crazy…

Comment by Mariana – May 19, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post