The Good Wife Exclusive: Alan Cumming Back for Season 3... and 4... and 5!

This bodes well for newly-elected DA Peter Florrick’s senatorial prospects: Alan Cumming has inked a new three-year deal to continue playing campaign strategist Eli Gold on CBS’ The Good Wife.

Cumming joined Wife in a recurring capacity midway through the show’s first season and was promoted to a series regular at the start of Season 2.

Of course, Cumming’s new deal is contingent on Good Wife being around for three more seasons. CBS has yet to renew the acclaimed drama for a third season, let alone a fourth and a fifth.

For more details on this story, visit our sister site Deadline.com.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Contract Talks, News, Previews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. AJ says:

Fantastic news. He’s such an excellent addition to this (already brilliant) show. Love him!

2. SC says:

Ugh. Renew the show, CBS!

3. sunny says:

CBS what is the matter with you? Renew The Good Wife already!!!! Best show on network TV.

4. Stefano says:

Such a great show, it should be renewed for more than one year especially if it keeps so high standards. And couldn’t imagine it without Mr. Gold. Well done CBS.

5. theRogue says:

Seriously one of the best actors ever! He is a very layered character, as TGW has done w/everyone on the show. I remember him from Circle of Friends and simply hated him! (As I should, that weasel) – He is a brilliant actor and CBS should get off its horse and get w/it, time to renew this drama – I frakkin’ love this show, every single actor on it is barnone the best – renew, renew, renew

6. Karrie says:

Good news but I’d much rather see more of Chris Noth!

7. Pamela says:

Love Alan! Excellent news! Must renew.

8. Kevin says:

This deal wouldn’t have been made if there wasn’t confidence that the show were going to be renewed. It’s frustrating that it hasn’t happened yet but it will happen.

• Jeff says:

Actually that’s not true. I’m not saying the show won’t get renewed (I think it will) but contract negotiations with actors don’t hinge on the show renewal. Just because an actor agrees to continue playing a part doesn’t mean that the part will still be there.

9. zebrasnake says:

of course, if GW is not renewed later on (i’m sure it will at least go to Season 3), they could just spin eli off on his own show. he certainly has the charisma and character enough to keep our interest. the more alan cumming all over the place, the better. mmmhmmm :)

10. xav says:

Sounds a lot like they’re getting ready to renew. Why sign someone to a multi-year deal if you’re not. The network has some say in these decisions.

11. Laura says:

Awesome! I only hope it is Alicia running for Senate!

12. Stefany says:

Love Alan / Eli! Fabulous news. Love The Good Wife!! The best TV since The West Wing. Time to make the commitment, CBS. Three more years!

13. Amy says:

Awesome news! Eli Gold is my very favorite Good Wife character. Alan Cumming is brilliant and I sincerely hope he sees LOTS of Emmy love this year!

14. Allison N says:

Fantastic news! Alan is an amazing addition to the cast.

15. Roma says:

OMG!!! AMAZING NEWS!!!! I’m sure they wouldn’t sing such a long time deal if they weren’t confident enough about the show returning for at least that same amount of time… I’m starting to feel so much better about this whole thing. CBS RENEW THE GOOD WIFE NOW!!!

16. Tego Livi says:

I’m not too worried about the show being renewed for next season, but if it continues to trend as it has so far, it’ll have to win a bunch of Emmys to justify a longer run. The ratings are very much like what Judging Amy got in the same timeslot (good in households, but not very good in 18-49s and gradually slipping in both). The only difference is, there isn’t a powerhouse show on the other networks (like SVU was when Judging Amy was cancelled). The one with Dana Delany is doing OK, but only with the Dancing with the Stars leadin.

17. Mels says:

Yay! Great news. He’s always so consistently good on this show. I just wish more people would watch the Good Wife especially in the demos of which I’m a part of. It’s definitely on my must watch list.

18. Ro says:

Get with it, CBS! This is the best drama on TV at the moment, and Alan Cumming is a big part of the reason for that. Delighted to hear he’s sticking around!

19. Diana says:

MORE CHRIS NOTH PLEASE??!! THANK YOU!! :)

20. Monique says:

The Good Wife getting renewed its just one of those things that had BETTER happen. Come on CBS. Enough already!

21. Caro says:

That is FANTASTIC news!!!!

22. Caro says:

p.s. Now only CBS needs to renew the show AND give Chris Noth a contract as a series regular.

23. paul says:

great news surely the good wife will be back in the fall

also check out alan other show at moment in the uk

martina cole the runaway

simply brilliant

24. Mandy says:

GREAT NEWS!!! :))))

TGW is the best show ever, amazing actors and fantastic writting. I don’t get it why people don’t watch this show more or why the demo is low. I’m on my 20′s and all my friends watch the show, i don’t get why 2 shows that is about the same thing get better ratings and demo???
    TGW rocks and so team Will!!

25. asherlev1 says:

SQUEEEE.

ALAN CUMMING IS LOVE.

26. susela says:

Yay! I danced in my seat when I read the news.

27. S says:

thats great but seriously, bring back America Ferrera! They were so great together!

28. Mariana says:

I loved to know that there will be at least 3 more seasons ^^
    And the final episode of season 2 drove me crazy…