Comic-Con

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop On a Chuck First, Parenthood's Season Finale, House and More

Got the Monday blahs? Let’s see if I can perk up the start of your week with a flurry of scoops, teases and sound bites from some of TV’s hottest shows and stars.

You Can’t Con a Con | At least that’s what Sarah is out to prove this Monday on Chuck, when after getting swindled she enlists her father (guest star Gary Cole) to get even. “Her dad is a con man, so she’s absolutely mortified,” Yvonne Strahovski reports. Plotting with her pop and Chuck, Sarah at one point slips into a new persona, affording Strahovski a chance to tackle a Chuck first. “I get to do a whole new accent,” shares the actress, who to date has only (and just one time) used her native Aussie voice. “That’s something that I’ve never done!” Speaking of firsts, many of the NBC spy comedy’s fans are wondering if Casey might restart his romance with Alex’s mother, Kathleen. Adam Baldwin, though, thinks such a storyline isn’t suited for such an early primetime hour. “A Casey love interest at eight o’clock? Nah,” the actor scoffs. “He needs a 10 o’clock.”

House Star’s Dream Proposal | Previously on TVLine.com… Amber Tamblyn teased us by saying that Martha Masters’ in-person intro to Thirteen will be “juicy.” She declined to elaborate, preferring for their exact dynamic to be a surprise, “but it’s definitely favorable,” she allowed. In fact, Tamblyn says that before her character imminently says adios, “I was hoping that Martha would propose to Thirteen in her last episode – like, let’s just go crazy and turn this into a different show, and Masters is this person nobody ever knew!” Tamblyn didn’t get her wish (we presume), but nonetheless found herself wild about Olivia Wilde. “I love that woman, and wish I had more screen time with her. We had a blast!”

New Directions Does New York City | Glee will take a bite out of the Big Apple later this month when the Fox hit films nationals on location in Manhattan. “The whole cast is going,” Twentieth Century Fox chairman Dana Walden told us this weekend at the “Taste For a Cure” event hosted by UCLA’S Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation. And what are the current odds on Rachel, Finn et al coming away with a “W”? “They’re the underdogs,” Walden notes, “but right now they’re looking pretty good!”

Glee Scoop: Will and Emma… Reunited?

Parenthood’s Fine Finale | If you follow me on Twitter, you know that on Sunday I watched the Parenthood Season 2 finale (airing Tuesday at 10/9c), and my decision to do so while doing cardio at the gym was, at best, a questionable one. Soon into the episode, it became clear that Lauren Graham was taking no prisoners in portraying Sarah’s anguish over Amber’s car crash. But the “closer” was Craig T. Nelson, who at one point serves up a speech about his long-ago dream of one day having grandchildren. Outstanding, sniffly stuff. The finale boasts two nice callbacks to Ron Howard’s Parenthood movie and packs in a few twists, including a piece of bad news for one character, a change of heart for at least two others, and, of course, this (from the promo).

Good Wife Bad Girls | As if The Good Wife’s Kalinda (Archie Panjabi) didn’t already have plenty on her plate this spring, she almost had quite a bit more – in the form of an extended somethingoranother with FBI agent Lana Delaney (played by Jill Flint). “We had a whole plotline built for [those two] – oh my gosh, we had such a good plotline,” teases series cocreator Robert King. “But Royal Pains wouldn’t let Jill go, so we were bereft.” As are Kalinda fans, I am sure.

Gossip Girl Exclusive First Look: Dan and Chuck Battle Over Blair

Hot Gossip | Like a bad penny, Gossip Girl‘s Jack Bass will turn up on May 9, and in a way that will catch some folks off guard. Desmond Harrington (Dexter) tells us the reappearance of Chuck’s uncle is “going to be surprising. That’s what I can tell you, that my character might surprise some people.” Theories/speculation, folks?

Screened & Heard | ABC’s Cougar Town resumes its second season tonight at 9:30 pm, and to that end features a title card tailor-made for those stumbling across the show after an evening of Dancing With the Stars. The first new episode also introduces us to “The No, No Dance,” courtesy of Jules…. For the few of you who are A) keeping tabs on CBS’ CHAOS and B) hoping to see more of Kurtwood Smith, the producers tell me that his officious CIA boss man will venture out into the field in an upcoming episode…. Leverage fans can count on the return of Mark Sheppard’s slithery Sterling at some point during Season 4 (premiering June 26).

If there’s a show or hot topic you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around. (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (34)

• I’m really enjoying CHAOS (episodes 2-3 were much stronger than the pilot). Just wish the ratings were higher. Oh well, guess I’ll enjoy it while its here…

Comment by Ashley – April 18, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Some of us couldn’t even watch it Friday. Got pre-empted by the news for some stupid reason (storms in the area), and I am really not happy about it. We got it, there are some bad storms out there, doesn’t mean take the show you were in the middle of off the air to show news updates.

Comment by Nick – April 18, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess this will be the second accent we see Yvonne take on, but she’s certainly done some dialects (if you don’t think her Southern one in Honeymooners qualifies as an accent, that is).

Comment by Michael – April 18, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks Matt for the Parenthood bit. Good to hear that the finale is great. I can´t wait and I´m sad that it´s the last episode already. It better not be the serie finale!!! Can´t wait to see how they resolve the stuff between Sarah and Amber. the fight last week was terrifying (assuming Amber survives the car crash.lol). Bring it on, Bravermans!

Comment by Danke – April 18, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would suggest any fans of “Parenthood” flood NBC with demands for a renewal. I stopped watching after the first season, but I’ll likely catch up on DVD (if the show is renewed). But it’s getting pummeled in the time slot it shares with CBS’s “The Good Wife” and ABC’s “Body of Proof.”

Comment by Danny – April 18, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, Parenthood is not getting pummeled in the demos. As a matter of fact, last week it had a 2.1 whereas TGW had 2.0. GO PARENTHOOD! I like that you suggest people e-mail NBC. This show should absolutely be renewed, no brainer. However, a really good way for you to have supported it would have been to NOT stopped watching after the first season. I feel the show has quite a loyal fanbase to get such demos when the household numbers are low. The exact right audience is watching this show, now we need more of them.

Comment by Kelly – April 18, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE Parenthood…it’s the best!

Comment by Line – April 18, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more, and weirdly, as I was reading this post, ‘Forever Young’ by Bob Dylan came up on my iPod in shuffle mode. Considering I’ve got about 3,000 songs on there, that’s no small coincidence. There are a few shows I watch that are on the bubble, but I would happily give them all up in favor of a Parenthood renewal.

Comment by Nicole – April 18, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any spoilers on the possible Chuck death/torture? Was hoping to see something to do with that.

Anyways thanks for the scoop.

Comment by Tim – April 18, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And along the same line, how long before we hear whether the show is being renewed? When do the networks decide? Can you pester them a little bit for us?

Comment by batman – April 19, 2011 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yvonne Strahovski’s accents are always fun to see. She’s such a great actress.

Comment by Katie – April 18, 2011 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a CHAOS fan too and am giving it a chance to marinate a bit and hit its stride. Great cast and writing that continues to strive to make this very different show work! Give it a try – it’s kind of like “I Spy” meets “Get Smart” and “The Bourne Identity” – with Eric Close as the frosting on this cake… : )

Comment by Suncatcher – April 18, 2011 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care about Master but I’m so happy to have OW back, she is the reason I decided to watch House again, the stupid huddy thing made me give up on the show!

Comment by Em – April 18, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hah Adam Baldwin is a trip.

Comment by Renee – April 18, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both AT and OW but I don’t like Master, Thirteen is the best and I hope her role be prominent in the next episodes. Anyway I can’t wait to see these two in the same scenes.

Comment by Mary – April 18, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 13 is the worst House character after Cameron but to be honest i like her more now that she is not with Foreman. Anyway i hope the show doesn´t focus too much on her like it did in season 5 because Olivia Wilde is a sub par actress.

Comment by Lena – April 18, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why haven’t we found out whether Parenthood has been renewed yet?

When will we find out when Parenthood is renewed or not?

Comment by Tausif Khan – April 18, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The network upfronts are held mid-May, I wouldn’t expect PARENTHOOD’s renewal announced much before then.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 18, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so cannot wait for Chuck tonight, and do wish Casey would get some loving besides the bromance he shares with Morgan.

“The No-no dance” for Cougar Town made me automatically think of Troy from Community and “no-no juice.”

Comment by Becca – April 18, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice spoilers, but I am wondering if you have anything yet on the season ender for my favorite show ‘ Justified’ besides the title (“Bloody Harlan”, right?) I’m hoping for some resolution for Art and Raylan.

Comment by RKM – April 18, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I @#(#$*@(@ LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE PARENTHOOD!

Comment by yeah – April 18, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointed that Raising Hope is not on here, but whatever.

Comment by jenny – April 18, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Keeping EVERYTHING crossed for a Chuck renewal – came late to the party here in the UK, but my whole family love the show (a very rare thing I can tell ya!) Tbh we’re US TV junkies – we love Bones, House, Chuck, Justified, Fringe, Criminal Minds … any more you can recommend? ;)

Comment by ShazzaUK – April 18, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • White Collar meshes in pretty well with a lot of those.

Comment by Tim – April 18, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Try the new CHAOS with Eric Close and an outstanding cast of CIA guys! CBS on Friday’s here in the US.

Comment by Suncatcher – April 19, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Parenthood and The Good Wife. I record both and watch them one after the other. To me they belong together and I don’t want to give up either one.

I have no time for Body of Evidence even though I like Dana D.

Comment by Jeri – April 18, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for more Yvonne/Sarah goodness!

Comment by Jules – April 18, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s great to see Yvonne getting to stretch her skills! Chuck is such an awesome show.

Comment by Erica – April 18, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In which episode did Yvonne use her Aussie accent? I don’t remember that and I’m a long term Chuck fan.

Comment by Igloo – April 18, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe it was Chuck Versus the Ex – season 2. Sarah poses as an Australian scientist giving a talk at a conference. Funny times, as usual :)

Comment by Okely Dokely – April 18, 2011 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Regarding “Chuck’s” Casey getting involved with his ex fiancee, Kathleen, and Adam Baldwin’s comment about that being better suited to “10 pm,” I think it would be better on cable, let him really get his groove on. I’d watch that spin-off BIG TIME! “Unleash the Casey” takes on a whole new meaning!

Comment by Ali – April 18, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC still worries me about the fate of both “Chuck” and “Parenthood” and it’s so sad that a month from now when the network TV upfronts begins, I could see one or both shows gets renewed but it’s still a 50/50 chance on how far they’ll go when the new Fall TV season begins come September. Wish the best of luck for both of these shows.

Comment by Kevin – April 18, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck was absolutely fun and hilarious tonight..just to put that out there. Thanks for the scoops! 3 more episodes to go! Oh, man, I don’t know how my Mondays will go over the summer without CHUCK.

Comment by Aiden – April 18, 2011 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    DEXTER SEASON 6 SCOOP PLEASE!!!
    DEXTER SEASON 6 SCOOP PLEASE!!!
    DEXTER SEASON 6 SCOOP PLEASE!!!
    DEXTER SEASON 6 SCOOP PLEASE!!!
    DEXTER SEASON 6 SCOOP PLEASE!!!
    DEXTER SEASON 6 SCOOP PLEASE!!!

Comment by JOSH – April 19, 2011 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post