Hoover Pulls ABC Ads to Protest Axed Soaps

Hear that? That’s the sound of a Hoover vacuum sucking all of the manufacturer’s forthcoming ad dollars out of ABC’s coffers and into an upright canister.

The first advertiser to step forth and protest ABC Daytime’s decision to dispatch with both All My Children and One Life to Live, Hoover announced on Monday that it was pulling its advertising from ABC as a whole effective this Friday. In fact, “We’re making every attempt to pull our spots from these programs sooner,” reads the message from Brian Kirkendall, Hoover’s VP of Marketing, posted to the company’s Facebook page.

AMC/OLTL Creator Agnes Nixon Saddened ‘Greatly’ By Cancellations, Hopes to ‘Keep Them Alive’

In a nice, personal touch, Kirkendall shares that his wife and mother are “both passionate viewers of All My Children and One Life to Live, as are many of my colleagues here at Hoover.” As such, he says that Hoover is “as disappointed with this [double cancellation] news as you are.”

Beyond not showing ABC the money, Hoover has set up the email address SaveTheSoaps@Hoover.com. The company will collect messages from soap fans and relay them to ABC through its own channels.

RIP, AMC and OLTL: Stars From Daytime and Primetime Sound Off on ABC’s Scrubbed Soaps

ABC announced last week that it was eschewing the two 40-plus-year-old soaps in favor of a foodie show called The Chew, and something else titled The Revolution.

“We’re 150% committed to doing what matters most to you,” says Hoover’s rallying cry to soap fans, “so if there’s anything else we can do to help or you have any ideas, please email [us].”

What do you think of Hoover’s gesture? And what other “Save the Soaps” efforts/campaigns have you gotten wind of since ABCD swung its axe last week?

1. JJ says:

Thanks Hoover. You get it! I agree with others! No more ABC. I have had enough. You like something and look forward to it and then the next thing you know, it is ripped off the air and some other garbage is put in its place. …and Hoover is and will always be the brand of my vaccum cleaner.

2. chad says:

go hoover. u made a lifetime customer here!!!!

3. Joanna says:

Thank you Hoover!!! Hope other sponsers do the same. Will only be buying your products next time I need a vaccum or steam cleaner & I love my FloorMate.

4. JULIE says:

Keep our shows..maybe you.Hoover..can pitch to o.pray w.infreyn.network..own…please try ad dollars =powedr

5. JULIE says:

Keep our shows..maybe you.Hoover..can pitch to o.pray w.infreyn.network..own…please try ad dollars =power

6. JohnDoe says:

LOL, Hoover and soap operas, a match of quality made in Heaven apparently….I’m sure the straight male audience and those under 30 are devastated by the loss of soap operas from the 1960’s and 70’s.

7. DJ says:

Hoover YOU ROCK! thank you for this show of support. I think I will go out and buy a new vacuum cleaner.

8. philateech says:

http://www.protestabcacrossamerica.com/Boycott_List.html for the complete contact list of companies

9. Kelly says:

I am in love with Hoover now!

10. cameron amc fan says:

i agree with hoover 100% shame on abc for taking good scripted show off the air and replacing them with cheap unscripted talk garbage. we have enough talk and reality shows believe me i need to email subway, swifer purina etc we cant give up our stories

11. Jeanne says:

Thank you Hoover! And thanks to tvline.com for a place we can voice our outcries! I sincerely hope that ABC seriously has second thoughts about cancelling 2 of the better soaps out there – Love AMC and OLTL!

12. Marie says:

Unfortunately all I see this doing is the shows losing money more quickly because they won’t have the ad money….therefore the shows ending more quickly. I’m a fan of the soaps but realistically they have been struggling for years with money issues. All this is going to do is lessen the money that they do have.

13. Leanne says:

Good for Hoover. It’s only smart to pay attention to your customer base.

14. Tracy says:

Congrats to Hoover for doing what other advertisers didn’t have the guts to do. What a smart move from a public relations stand point. Listen to the people and give them what they want. Something ABC fails at miserably. Never owned a Hoover but I will as soon as I am off work. This is the kind of company we should support. Thanks again for standing up to ABC.

15. Vicky says:

Thank you Hoover. I now own a Hoover but when it needs to be replaced it will only be another Hoover. You have a customer for life. I am also not buying any Disney merchandise. Thank you for standing up for your customers!

16. Julie says:

I so admire Hoover for taking a stand about the cancellation of AMC and OLTL… it takes courage to stand up and make a statement like they have in the face of the PTB, ABC and Disney. I will buy anything Hoover that I can from now on. Thank you Hoover for sticking up for those of us who seem to have no voice !

17. Carol says:

Hoover is a class act. Hopefully, ABC will get the message that we (the consumers) do not need them to tell us to watch food shows called the Chew or the next show “how to lose the weight you put on watching the first show.” Mr. Frons has no idea what the consumer wants. He is only interested in putting shows on that a cheap to produce. Thank you once again Hoover for having the courage to stand up to this ABC network. I am a loyal Hoover owner now for life.

18. Reality Check Man says:

What’s the difference. Every soap opera is the same anyway.

19. maggie says:

Thanks to Hoover for this campaign.
    I don’t understand why a major broadcast network wants to cancel AMC and OLTL to put on generic programing that there’s already a glut of.

Why is ABC trying to make itself look like an imitation of a basic cable network?

20. lxs says:

Bravo Hoover!

21. lace says:

I am so glad that Hoover is standing up to Frons and Disney! I am done with ABC and will watch Modern Family on Hulu.

22. shelby says:

yes hoover plz get subway,GLAD,WALMART,AND OTHERS commercial people involved if you do that plus us fans im sure they will keep it on I TOO AM BOYCOTTING ABC AND DISNEY! TO SAVE ONE LIFE TO LIVE

23. Pam says:

I am a Hoover buyer for LIFE!!!! Hopefully, other advertisers will follow suit & pull their money…. the allmighty dollar will prevail!!! Cll & write the advertisers!!! ABC will HAVE to listen!!!!

24. Roo says:

Let’s all get to the advertisers to do the same things!
    Let’s get to ABC and let them know they are making Thousands of soap fans furious and they will regret it and also turn the unions against them too!

LEAVE ALL OUR SOAPS ON ABC OR ELSE!!

25. Elena says:

Thanks Hoover! What a class act! I love that they are supporting their consumers! ABC made such a mistake just casting us fans aside and I hope that wake up and realize they need to change their minds. I will email every advertiser I can and use Hoover as a shining example of good business. I will also recommend Hoover to everyone! We must be loyal to those that are loyal to us! Let’s get them soap fans!!!!!!

26. Kate says:

Hoover needs to reevaluate their reasons for pulling ads from a network. I can understand if it was their story line didn’t reflect their moral code (ie They condone illicit behaviors, terrorism etc) but because the soaps are canceled? It’s the marketing director’s family’s favorite? yeah not going to fly. The story has made the rounds through out the media outlets. I am thinking this guy is out of a job or should be.

I am a soap fan have been for years but I am not home as much and catch up with them on the soap net, but the story lines are getting old and repetitive on some levels. The cast and crew are talented and wonderful and I am sure they will find work.

27. Bob says:

Not bad, Hoover. Unfortunately, ABC probably could care less. I’m sure they factored this into their plans. The only thing that would move them off their plan is if a majority of the advertisers pulled their dollars, and not just during daytime. But we all know that’s not going to happen.

28. NF says:

I am guessing it is a good PR stint by Hoover, but I am still very glad they are doing it. I hope more companies join them and that maybe they can save AMC and OLTL. I have been watching these shows since I was a small child and they remind me of family members I no longer have in my life. I am sure this is the same for many viewers. You are not just canceling our shows; you are killing off our family. I will not easily forget this and will NEVER watch ABC/Disney again.

29. KittiPaws says:

Thank you, Hoover! Hopefully, other advertisers will follow. My next vacuum will be the most expensive Hoover in the store.

30. kat says:

Finally a company that respects the consumers! You’re a Class Act &
    ABC/Disney should take a page from your book! Thank You, Hoover! You Rock!

31. Lucy says:

My upcoming vacuum purchase will be a Hoover. Loyalty is a two-way street. Other ABC advertisers take note: stand with your audience and they’ll stand with you! Hoover now has customers for life because they listened to us; what a concept! How ’bout it, Frons/ABC/Disney? Why don’t YOU try listening to your audience? We want our soaps! Not another crummy cooking show or talk show.

32. kelly ryan says:

I love Hoover.Thank you Sooo much for caring about the fans & our soaps,& how sweet that you consider your wife & mother’s dedicated viewership. And so help me, I’ve needed to replace my vacuum & it’s going to be a HOOVER! Thank you Mr.

33. kelly ryan says:

….As I was saying, Thank you so much Mr.Kirkendall.THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
    And to Hershey’s also. Our soaps are so important to our American history & culture. This may be grabbing at straws, but I’m
    gonna put it out there anyway….There are certain
    buildings,homes, etc. that are protected from being destroyed because they are
    historical landmarks & need to be preserved. What about soaps? They are landmarks in television history. Is there any chance that there might be some “genius” lawyer to take this on? Some of you may laugh, but think about it for just a minute. Shouldn’t these pieces of history also be preserved? My e-mail is
    mkryan8295@gmail.com.
    I’m on twitter. Face

34. kelly ryan says:

E-mail is mkryan8295@gmail.com
    Facebook as kelly ryan
    Twitter as kelly from ky. &
    101199021186
    Text # 502-727-8295
    Once again, thankyou Brian Kirkendall at Hoover & also
    Hersheys. You are Heroes.

35. karen riddles says:

Please leave our soaps on the air. No doctor shows PLEASE!!!!!

36. Carolyn says:

Thank you Hoover for supporting AMC. Hoover has a great product and good people. Everybody I know watches AMC and I just started to watch it four years ago and love it. I think ABC knows it is popular and the ratings are good. Why don’t we all write to Oprah and convince her to put it on her new network. She loves the show too. ABC’s loss will be OWN’s gain and Hoover can move with us!

37. Kristine says:

I am LIVID that they are canceling AMC and OLTL. I have watched AMC since 1971. I AM NOT WATCHING ABC at all in protest to what they are doing to our soaps. I am contacting sponsors to pull their ads until those NUTS AT ABC come to their senses. SOAPERS UNITE!!

38. Kristine says:

And THANK-YOU Hoover for pulling your ads. You have a loyal customer now! :):)

39. Jayne says:

Hoover has my business!!!!!!! Thank you! ABC no longer does! I have watched All My children since it started! This is the thanks we, as loyal viewers get? Hope Mr. Frons is out of a job soon!!!!!

40. Kathy Yesian says:

Thank you Hoover !I have been watching OLTL for twenty years if these shows are canceled then ABC is off my TV .This is the worse decision they have ever made!!!!!

41. cynthia love says:

What ever abc puts in all my chldern or one life to live time slot I will never watch I suspect the 2.5 million viewer that was watching these shows will not watch eather,I work so my days off I watch when I work I come home to watch it on soap net.who ever decided this will regreat this u will lose a lot of viewers.

42. Priscilla says:

Thank you Hoover, I hope other advertisers follow! I’ve owned a Hoover ever since I started watching the soaps, thank you for caring!!!!!!! HOOVER ROCKS!!!!!!!

43. barbara says:

HOOVER thanks for taking a stand-you’re great!! i know as the curtain falls–other sponsors will follow suit–what’s an afternoon without our soaps? millions of fans including myself have been loyal watchers for over 30 years–what does abc think the older segment of our viewers will be doing after being addicted and glued to their seats for all these years??to many these programs may be the highlights of their day–these characters have become like friends and family–how does abc expect fans to cut this long love affair after all these year–what are “house bound” senior citizens suppose to do now???–i think soaps give many a reason to get up or perhaps get together with friends to watch their stories every day–week after week, year after year–or call one another if one of us misses a showing–people stay connected this way–ABC once had great shows and now there’s not much worth watching–CBS and NBC is looking better all the time–WHO WANTS ANOTHER REALITY OR FOOD/COOKING SHOW???more food to encourage the already morbidly obese—i can’t say that i know a single soul that “looks forward to a daily cooking show” or want to tape it for after work viewing–FIRST OPRAH NOW THIS–watch your ratings TANK…. ABC–millions will probably no longer watch ABC–the best shows are still on PBS–i donate to PBS–i should and will only support public television from here on–(after the soaps are “DELETED) there’s nothing like educational programs–shows that fill the spaces between the our temples–I’D REALLY LIKE TO SEE A FOOD OR REALITY SHOW LAST FOR 40 YEARS–WHAT CAN ABC POSSIBLY COME UP WITH TO LAST THAT LONG???YOU’VE GOT YOUR WORK CUT OUT FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!