New Gossip Girl Kaylee DeFer: Cousin Charlie 'Has a Dark Side'

Now that you’ve met Gossip Girl‘s Charlie Rhodes, I’m dying to know: What do you think of Serena’s long-lost cousin? I’ve got some suspicions of my own, so I went straight to actress Kaylee DeFer to get the dish on what Char is really all about. And you know what? I’m still not sure. The one thing that is for certain: This girl is going to make a huge splash in the Upper East Side.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop On a Gossip Girl Return, and More

TVLINE | Alright, what is the real deal with Charlie? Is she as genuine, innocent and sweet as she seems?
I will say that Charlie is a very relatable person who really just wants to fit in. As far as where she goes, I promise that her intentions are for a greater good, but everybody’s going to go on quite a ride with Charlie. She has lots of layers.

TVLINE | Hmmm. Might Serena (played Blake Lively) come to regret welcoming this distant cousin into her life?
I wouldn’t say that. Serena is Charlie’s mentor, and Charlie is infatuated with her. She wants to do good by her. Whatever ends up happening between Charlie and the rest of the gang, I don’t think there are too many moves that she makes without making sure she doesn’t step on many toes.

TVLINE | Are you positive about that? Because I saw that little glance she shot at Dan (Penn Badgely) at the end of the Monday’s episode. Looked suspicious to me…
It is suspicious, and like I said, there are lots of layers there.

TVLINE | What about the big secret that Charlie’s mom, Carol (Sheila Kelley), warned Lily about? It sounded like one of two things: She has an eating disorder, or she killed a man. Too dramatic?
Charlie has a dark side. [Laughs] She’s not like any other girl that has ever been on Gossip Girl. She’s definitely a new addition, with a different storyline.

Gossip Girl Showrunners Reveal Plan for a ‘Juicy and Fun’ Two-Part Finale

TVLINE | Are there any characters you didn’t get a chance to interact with that you would have liked to?
I actually cross paths with just about everyone at one point or another. In the season finale, I end up with the majority of the cast, but I’d definitely like to see that darker side come out. Who knows? It would be fun to do something with the darker characters of Gossip Girl.

TVLINE | Having seen next week’s episode, I know there are a few fun exchanges between Charlie and Blair (Leighton Meester). Please tell me we’ll see some more face-offs between those two.
Yeah. [Laughs] We have a few run-ins.

TVLINE | I think Charlie’s going to get a little taste of the limelight, and love it. Might we see her become so involved with the group that she receives her very own Gossip Girl blast?
Ooh, that would be cool. You know, maybe. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Will you return if the show is renewed for a fifth season?
There’s always a possibility, and I really, really hope that I do get asked back. I would love to continue this adventure with this character. There are some twists to her that are pretty cool, and hopefully I do get to finish what I started.

TVLINE | Well, I already love you — and Charlie — on the show, and definitely hope to see more of her next season.
Thank you so much. I wish there was some sort of voting system to keep Charlie. Like American Idol — dial 1-866-Vote-for-Charlie! [Laughs] Honestly, I think that everybody’s really going to enjoy the roller coaster that my character is going to take everyone on. There’s always room for more drama on Gossip Girl!

The CW’s Gossip Girl airs Mondays at 9/8c.

1. baj24 says:

My first thought when she showed up was please don’t let this hold any similarities to the Annie/Emily storyline on 90210.

• Kris says:

That’s exactly what I thought. She’s wearing Serena’s clothes and eying her man which is exactly where Emily began. I REALLY hope they don’t do this so soon after the 90210 storyline. Maybe Serena should start watching the CW and taking notes.

• ThereasonsY says:

No offense to the actress or the character but I would have rather bought back Kate Cassidy. I miss my trouble making Juliet!

2. Adrian says:

I agree when i saw Charlie put those shoes on i got an all about eve/The roomate vibe from her which hopefully they don’t do. I want her to have an original cool problem but one that won’t make the character stupid or make her leave. I see potiential for the character it will be nice to see how an innocent nice girl gets suduced by the evil dark side that is the upper east side. But not the way they did with Jenny something more original.

3. M says:

Um who cares?! This girl is basically Jenny 2.0. I can’t believe they’re screwing around with this when we can’t even get real answers about the ORIGINAL Jenny. I want HER back. I don’t want some very obvious replacement. And from what I’ve seen, the fandom already doesn’t accept this Charlie chick. BRING BACK JENNY! I know Taylor’s busy with her music career, but I still want her back. The show just isn’t the same without her.

4. deedeedragons says:

I did love they were getting a family photo & no one even mentioned why she didn’t show up.

5. aceofspade says:

PLEASE do not keep her for another season. Jenny is my least favorite and I’d even rather have her back than have Charlie on the show.

• ggny says:

seriously? she has been on the show for less the 30 mins and you already wining about her? holy hell give the poor girl a chance

6. Laur says:

Thank you, Gossip Girl, for ruining my future daughter’s name! I GET SO PISSED WHEN THEY USE IT IN MOVIES AND TV. It’s a rarity to find it in real life but it has been used in Monster-In-Law(vomit), FlashForward, and now Gossip Girl. I may need to give it up.

7. wair boldorf says:

Every addition to the GG cast always means trouble. Kind of annoying at this point. Can anyone normal ever join the group?

8. Rogue Apple says:

When I heard Kaylee Defer was playing a charcter on show, I was glued. She’s a beautiful breath of fresh air in a tainted repetition of cliche’ story plots. I love her.

9. kimmie16 says:

Such a beauty and fresh new talent this show needs. We need to see more of this chick more more more follow her twitter @kayleeannedefer I’ve been following her u should too she’s funny

10. EdenAtlanta says:

So far, SO GOOD! Im into it and I want more. I think im in love, but we’ll see. Im crazy curious to see what’s up her sleeve.

11. Brooke says:

Okay, now that I’ve seen the season finale I totally want to know more! It was actually complicated and twisted in a super bizarre way, not just the normal revenge that the GG kids usually do… There was something more there.

12. Izzy. says:

I think Charlie isn’t even her cousin, Because in the last episode Charlie had stole all the Rhodes familys trust funds! what a bitch and i think that Carol is a little strange and they are deffs hiding something, And why is Jenny and Vanessa leaving? ! I dont like them bt i just want to know why!!!

13. Charley says:

Grow up! Your future daughters name?! Wow! Really?!