Bones Boss: Emily Deschanel's Pregnancy May Result In a 'Curtailed' Season 7

Fox has yet to officially renew Bones for the fall, but any possible Season 7 will likely be “curtailed” as the result of pregnant series lead Emily Deschanel being due to deliver in late summer/early fall.

Noting there are still “a lot of decisions to make” as to how to accommodate Deschanel’s pregnancy – Do they write it in? Shoot around it? — Bones executive producer Hart Hanson said in a Monday conference call, “Season 7 would probably be a curtailed season in some respects; we don’t know how much yet.”

I asked Hanson if he meant that Season 7 would simply start production later? Or would there be fewer episodes? Would Deschanel be MIA in some…? His answer: “All of the above.”

Castle Boss to Bones Producers: Booth and Brennan Need to Hook Up Now

Ironically, Bones might have avoided any impact on Season 7 were the show not hung up in renewal talks. “One possibility, if we had enough scripts in the pipeline, would have been to keep [production] going through the summer, and take the hiatus when Emily went to have her baby,” Hanson says. “But we don’t have any scripts… because we haven’t been picked up.”

Instead, Hanson is pondering options such as shooting episodes without Deschanel/Brennan, pausing production all together once she takes maternity leave, or starting late and delivering just “16 or 18 episodes” versus the usual 22.

“I’m ready to pitch a bunch of alternatives to the network, but we haven’t had those conversations yet” because of the renewal talks, Hanson says. “We’ve had creative conversations about how to get out of Season 6, but we haven’t had any… about how to get into Season 7.”

Bones Spoiler Alert: Are Booth and Brennan ‘Going There’ in the Finale?

At the end of the day – once Bones is officially picked up – Fox “will weigh in heavily” on how to accommodate Deschanel’s maternity leave. “For example, if we were to do four episodes without her, is the network interested? Or does their testing show that that would hurt the show?” Hanson poses. “I need to be ready for any one of those contingencies.”

(Thus far, as the show finishes filming the Season 6 finale, Hanson says, “We’ve had no cause to show or hide much of Emily.”)

But where do things stand with the Season 7 pickup, anyway? Hanson notes that Bones‘ previous, two-year renewal wasn’t handed down until just before the network’s annual upfront presentation to advertisers, so “anywhere between now and May 15 we will come to a deal. I’m very confident that we will come to a deal.”

(polls)

1. Anna says:

They just can’t do ANY episodes without Brennan. It’s just not ‘BONES’. I think they should just start late and deliver 16-18 episodes. Like start in January or February.

• Joe B. says:

Some of the most creative work in TV has happened as a result of a problem that needed to be worked around. I think a couple episodes without Emily, though certainly not what I want, could be an opportunity.

My love for the show is primarily a love for the Temperance character so I don’t say this lightly, either.

• Kathy Bergeron says:

I could not agree more. I would rather a shorter season that made sense, than man episode without her. I like the supporting cast, but she IS the series.

• kayleigh says:

I think that Brennan should get prego and Hannah should come back and be like, “who’s the father?” and finds out later that booth is the father and leaves once more.

• Bobo says:

Hmm. This might actually be a part of the so-called ‘Moonlighting Curse’ that actually applies finally to Bones. Lead actress gets pregnant.
      I bear no ill wishes towards Emily at all, family comes first. ALWAYS.

• Lilly says:

I think that was more to do with the two leads not getting along in real life. And the problem with that show and X-Files in the last few seasons was one or both of the leads having a much smaller presence on the show-same with Alias. However, DB and ED obviously get along and neither of them is planning on leaving the show. And plenty of shows have just hid pregnancies in recent years-Friends and Grey’s and Gossip Girl and HIMYM, to name a couple. It’s awkward, but works.

• Jackie Strange says:

What do you mean the two leads not getting along? I have read many comments about how they much they care for each other. sometimes booth was almost sophomoric about how he responded to her beauty and her blue eyes. I would be jealous if I were his wife.

• Kelly says:

Just don’t cancel the show. I’ll take as many or as few episodes as can be managed. I really hope they don’t just ignore the pregnancy somehow…

2. Jessica says:

Wow I really don’t want a shorter season of Bones.

3. BabyGoz says:

What is going on with Fox? IMO both [H]ouse & Bones are their best shows & they are stalling on renewing….are they insane??

• Amanda says:

Aren’t the renegotiating contracts on House? I know that RSL is leaving the show because his contract is up and he wants out. So maybe they’re working on keeping everyone else happy and deciding what to do without Wilson.

• BabyGoz says:

They haven’t renewed for S8 on [H] yet & the only cast members signed on beyond this one is Hugh & Olivia Wilde :(

On subject, i’m kinda hoping they write her pregnancy in, it’s not like a baby Bones has never been discussed :D

• Steven says:

Well, that’s not all Fox’s fault. Some believe that NBC Universal is stalling talks so NBC can swoop in and get the show next season. Makes sense for NBC.

• Samantha says:

I agree the best 2 shows they have and they are wasting time on the renewals..

4. Clo says:

It’s sad that Brennan has become my least favorite character on the show over the last two seasons. If they threw in a few episodes centered on Angela and Hodgins I’d be just as happy.

5. AC says:

Maybe this would be a good time to consider that Bones/Fringe crossover? ;)

6. Steph says:

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH FOX!??!?!!? If you only renewed it earlier they could have written more scripts and taken the hiatus later when Emily was having her baby! I am so so so upset right now. This is ridiculous. I can’t even believe that they haven’t renewed it yet. THIS IS TORTURE!

• Em says:

Why? The chance that it’s not getting renewed for at least one season is like 1%, considering how the ratings were so high this season. It’s just all about money and hoping to get two seasons.

• Suncatcher says:

I believe this is “normal” for most networks – only Fox got a surprise when Emily Deschanel announced she was pregnant. I have a feeling things would have been handled a lot faster had they known earlier.

7. Steph says:

OH AND…they are seriously considering doing episodes without Brennan/Emily?! ARE YOU JOKING?! First of all, what would that do to the storyline (especially for B&B) and secondly…”NO BONES, NO BONES”. I’d rather have less episodes with Emily in all of them, than have 4 episodes without Emily.

8. Mike S says:

Bones without Bones could be a dangerous tack to try. I’d say going with the shorter season would be the better plan. Now, bad as that would be, the shorter season would likely lead to a tight, fast story running through the season.

Just my 1.3 cents (after taxes)…

• TvTroz says:

ha! 1.3 cents after taxes… maybe you didn’t come up with that, Mike S (and if you did, major kudos!), but I’m totally using that from now on. Salutations to you, sir.

9. Piper says:

shorter bones season? possibility of eps w/o brennan? both of those options make me sad. man, i really wish fox had had their stuff together in time to just stinkin’ renew the show early so that they could’ve filmed throughout the summer. out of the two…i guess i’d prefer a shorter season. bones w/o bones just isn’t right.

10. Richard says:

Bones has a strong cast, great writers and an excellent show runner in Hart Hanson. I see this as an excellent challenge to the writers to develop a few episodes where the “squints” take center stage while perhaps Bones in on a dig somewhere. The proper set up to an small arc of episodes without Bones could work with such a strong cast.

• Jay says:

I would agree. Lately however they have been getting better considering how annoying it was starting to get. At least now they’re finally trying to make a move with B&B. But as much as I love this show, I’d still have to say that the writers of Bones should definitely sit around with the amazing writers of Castle. Maybe I would give them or help them out with the problems with this show.
      Other than that I would say that if they don’t get somewhere clear with renewals the only other ppl FOX will be hurting is themselves. Why? This show still has so much potential to let it waste on your procrastination! Besides you’d be losing a huge majority of the avid viewers.

11. sarah says:

how would the network be able to ‘test’ if it worked without Brennan if they haven’t done any without Brennan? Will they take a survey or something? Networks fascinate me.

I hope they get their pick up soon so they can pump out some scripts and start filming. It would be awesome if they could all just take a break when Emily did, then she wouldn’t have to be written out of a bunch.

I personally don’t want to watch it without her, but, would do it for the show. If…that makes any sense ;)

12. Amanda says:

Clearly I’m not a TV exec, so my opinion doesn’t really matter. But I think that this show has been screwed around with so much lately, that having to write in a pregnancy or explain away Brennan’s absence would do more harm than good. I’d much rather have fewer episodes than have to deal with more weird writing stunts.

13. Tim says:

It would really depend on how they would write the episodes without the Bones character. Would she just not be around due to some work related reason like they used when they jumped the show ahead a year between seasons 5 and 6? Or would her disappearance be written in some way, like she’s been kid napped and we get four episodes of Booth and the team finding her? That could be an interesting twist and a nice respite from the usual episode.

Also, off topic, but does anyone else feel that her character has really regressed this season in terms of her demeanor and her understanding of ‘normal’ people? Or is that just me?

• Amanda says:

I agree with you on that last bit. It’s getting tiresome and awkward, in my opinion.

• stepha says:

I agree with you, Tim. First, I like the idea of the team (and esp. Booth) focused on work like saving Brennan rather than constant talks about the BB relationship. In real life, don’t we all try to avoid endless discussion about the state of our relationships? Action is always so much more interesting.

And I completely agree about Brennan’s character regressing. She was a sassy, independent woman who could hold her own with Booth- remember her brazen push back at the shooting range in the first season? Now she’s simpering and even adolescent. I wanted to fast forward through her scenes with Booth. If we’re going to have Season 7- whatever the format- bring back B & B as they once were.

• tvfruitcake says:

Oh, how I miss the Brennan of the first couple of seasons. She was quirky and strong and not one bit afraid to speak her mind. I loved the tweaks to common turns of phrase and the way that she exasperated Booth.( Has anyone else noticed that Booth doesn’t look so good around the eyes or is that just me? ) I loved the camaraderie of the team and the looks when she would go into “Bones Mode” during the cases. The last few seasons have been like eating soup. It looks like soup, tastes like soup but it’s off somehow, like there’s not enough salt or something. I am still a diehard fan who would never miss an ep but bring back the salt!!!

• AngelMoonGirl says:

YES YES and YES. Great analogy. We’re missing the “salt”, the spark. I really dislike how much Brennan regressed this season and how distant and…. apathetic?… Booth has been. I can’t quite put my finger on it but something has been off.
          Normally Brennan’s social ineptitude is endearing but it’s just so CONSTANT now. The writers really need to tone it down and bring back the smart, sassy, OCCASIONALLY awkward scientist we knew in seasons 1-5. I’d say it was Hannah that did a number on Brennan but except for a few episodes here and there it’s really just the writers getting lazy, IMO. They rely on Brennan far too much to be the comedic relief and it’s making her seem stupider and stupider. And that’s not a good thing for the “most brilliant forensic anthopologist in the nation”. Just my two cents. I’ll always love the show but I definitely think it’s falling into a rut.

• Elle says:

I agree about Brennan regressing. I hope that a Season & is a return to the old (pre Season 6) Brennan. I am tired of her being the comic relief of the episodes. Also, the writers have forgotten that the other squints were once Brennan’s friends. This whole season has just been off.

If they do episodes without Brennan, I hope HH does not decide to bring back Hannah to fill the void. He just loves that character.

14. psales73 says:

I personally would rather see a couple episodes without Bones than to have a shorter season. It would only be a few episodes, and they could always center on Cam on Angela/Hodgins…….like an episode where the body is still meaty and there is little need to look at the bones as the main focus. Or it could be the squinterns doing the “bones” stuff and say that Bones is helping via email/telephone.

Just a thought

15. Tracie says:

They could do what Grey’s did when Ellen Pompeo was pregnant… they filmed her scenes ahead of time and had Meredith recovering from surgery so she wasn’t in as many scenes… They could have Brennan go on some dig or maybe a romantic getaway with a certain FBI agent… and only communicate with the Squints over the phone.

16. Bones fan says:

What is Fox playing at? Almost every show on television has worked around a lead character being pregnant in real life. This is ridiculous and appalling treatment for a show that has been running for 6 years and is getting the network good ratings despite the fact that have screwed around with it season after season.

Surely Fox can have some lawsuits thrown at them if an actors pregnancy is having such an impact on the show, every other television show manages just fine. This must be horrible for Emily.

17. M says:

Personally – I’d love to have some episodes sans Emily. Brennan has been the worst character on the series this year and Emily’s “acting” has been a joke. Cut her out of some and lets see how much better the show can be.

• Claude says:

Don’t mix storylines/scripts with acting! Emily has been fantastic this year!
      I would miss Brennan if not in some episodes, but Bones has other interesting characters, so it would be completely possible to have a few without Brennan, because of a dig somewhere, or why not some teaching…
      Anyways, this would not be a problem if Fox had already renewed Bones instead of negociating. And this unfortunately must add some unnecessary stress on Emily.

• aimee says:

Emily has been sensational, her performance in ‘The Doctor in the Photo’ was extraordinary.

Surely this is putting unnecessary stress on her when should be resting and happy about her upcoming child.

If they have a plan, let them do it, renew the show and get on with it. People may complain about how the writers keep them apart but they created the characters, Brennan and Booth are the heart of the show but if the writers have a plan they they should be trusted to do that. The show could work with her being out for one or two episodes maximum, but she is the heart of the show, Grey’s Anatomy did it fine, so will Bones.

• Jenny says:

Emily’s acting has been great (for example 9th, Brennan-centric episode, when she was in EVERY scene and knocked them all out of the park). It’s the writing that has been completely inconsistent when it comes to Brennan, one episode she’s made remarkable progress in the interpersonal area and in the next she’s regressed to season 1- Brennan. The bit about her character writing wise is very true.
      Fact remains that this show is first and foremost about Forensic Anthropologist Brennan, so no the show can’t go without her in my opinion, the team and B&B is (or used to be) secondary, not that I don’t enjoy those characters and say that they’re not a big part. I’m just saying Brennan is the main character, the show is named after her.

Also I get why people are upset with Fox for not renewing sooner but if you’re so sure that you’re getting picked up why haven’t they written down some storylines/ideas yet for s7? Especially since they’ve known for weeks now that Em is pregnant and when her due date is..

• Ashleigh says:

Wow. This is rude. Emily is a great actress. Geez, I don’t even know what to say.

18. bones fan 2 says:

I’m pretty sure this is discrimination? Bones has continued to bring in Fox good ratings, I understand that there might be trouble with the financial side when it comes to renewing it but is there any need to treat their lead like this? I don’t see what the problem is and quite frankly the way this is being delt with is terrible. Emily is pregnant not abandoning the show (which she loves!) Fox needs to sort this, and quick.

• sarah says:

I don’t see how it’s discrimination. Fox’s lack of pick up has nothing to do with Emily and everything to do with money and the business end of it all. Emily’s pregnancy just presents a shooting snag. All Hart is saying is that they don’t really know what to do yet, because the network wont make up it’s darn mind. Hart even said they will discuss the shooting schedule after they get a picked up. I don’t see them as treating Emily badly. On the contrary, Hart seems like he is willing to do what is best for her and her child to work filming around her so she can take a maternity leave.

19. WWP says:

Please dear god, DON’T write in baby. I don’t watch this show to see adults yammer on about their parental issues with daycare and diapers and breastfeeding and baby poo. I can watch some reality show like Kate or the Duggers for that crap.

Nothing spoils a procedural show for adults faster than the addition of some mewling brat. It’s already bad enough that we have to go through it with Hodges and Angela, I don’t want to see another.

20. Robin says:

I was totally under the assumption that there was no doubt of a next season…I guess I misjudged on when that last 2 year renewal was…whoops. :/

21. Sarah says:

I would prefer the shorter season. But I could also see writing Emily out for a while. They did it successfully with Law & Order: SVU back in season 8 when Mariska was pregnant. I could see it working here too. Just my 2 cents (gov’t didn’t take any because I didn’t make any).

• BabyGoz says:

Good point about the Hargitay however SVU doesn’t revolve around Olivia. SVU also has Stabler, Munch & Finn who can take lead when they need to.

22. bones fan 2 says:

Comment by ‘M’

Is that comment a joke?? The reason Fox doesn’t want to do this is because (as well as being idiots) they are worried about how the show will do without her because she is the HEART of the show.

23. They have to have Brennan. The show can’t work for that long without her. One episode maybe. Even If they had her in the show in webcam format. As is: Brennan is out of the country on some fantastic bone discovering adventure and she communicates with Booth and the team on occasion by webcam/phone etc. Even if she’s only in like 2 minutes of the show it would make a massive difference. It’s just that I can’t really imagine any sort of reason for her not to have any kind of contact with the crew for 4 whole episodes. It would be much better in that case to have a shorter season, with more awesome packed in to less episodes.

24. Amanda says:

as much as Bones is n ot Bones without Bones they could make things work have her working at a dig site perhaps work by webcam or skype offering expertise. Or perhaps writing a new bookj and doing research for it again work by webcam and skype

25. Philip says:

BONES has gotten so bad…. who cares if she is in or not.
    A season 7 will be just as boring as 5 and 6.

26. Ingmar says:

I think the best option would be to start production later on and just produce 16-18 episodes ( if the show even comes back next season ). But personally I wouldn’t have any problems with Emily being MIA for like 4 episodes. The writers are amazing on Bones and they are creative so they would explain it somehow.

The part I am worrying about are all the renewal talks. Once that it is solved I am sure they will find a proper solution. I mean….Bones has more interesting character than just Brennan.

27. emy26 says:

come on, what would we do without the booth and brennan chemistry in every episode? i mean that’s why i watched the show in the first place!!! there’s not Bones without Bones!!! (Brennan being the second Bones)

28. BJohnson says:

Somebody help me with this. Did Ellen Pompeo miss some episodes, I remember her being in bed from the transplant. But they had a bigger cast to work around her absence. Any more shows you can think of that carried on without the lead? I know Alyson Hannigan left for 4 episodes and they said she was disgusted by a joke Barney used that took her out for four episodes and that was a small cast.

• BJohnson says:

Sorry I forgot to mention Hannigan is from How I Met Your Mother, in case people didn’t know.

• aimee says:

From what I can remember, she filmed a lot of scenes in advance and was in bed for a few episodes recovering from an operation. Chyler Leigh and Jessica Capshaw both had their pregnancies hidden too – well, Jessica Capshaw’s wasn’t exactly hidden towards the end.

It is a small cast yes but the writers clearly have a plan and it’s on Fox now to hurry up and let them get on with that plan – if they renew it now surely Emily could film some additional scenes before the birth. But she is an anthropologist and a writer, they could think of a reason as to why she is absent from a few episodes, especially because so much focus in the finale appears to be going onto Hodgins and Angela, surely them dealing with their baby and returning to work could take the lead storyline in at least one episode and seeing Booth having to go out into the field with an intern for an episode or two is an option and has potential to be very funny.

Emily is the heart of the show but if they write it well, they could manage without her for a couple of episodes and the impact not being too severe.

Fox have treated Bones terribly every season with the scheduling/American Idol and constant hiatuses associated with that and it’s come back fighting. The Hannah storyline was terrible yes but since her departure the show has been back to the show I used to love, the writing of the Brennan and Booth storyline is being handled fantastically and the way they are bringing them back together and get their old dynamic back is being terribly underrated.

29. DennyS says:

I think one of the greatest part about the show is the connection and camaraderie between Booth and Bones. They are like sounding boards to each other and I wouldn’t know how interesting the show might be without either of them, even if it is for a few episodes.

30. sofia says:

Seriously? You all? It’s not FOX’s fault if Bones get less episodes or if has the same number but without Emily. It wasn’t Fox who decided to get pregnant while being the lead of a TV show. I’m very, very happy that Emily is having a baby (and that the kid will probably be born in the days surrounding her own birthday). If any of that happens, less episodes or episodes without the leading lady, it will be the creators and producers decisions. Nothing to do with FOX.

• Ashleigh says:

“It wasn’t Fox who decided to get pregnant while being the lead of a TV show.”

Um, I’m pretty sure it was probably an accidental pregnancy for that very reason and the fact that she has never been very open to the idea of having children. So if you’re implying that this is Emily’s fault, i suggest you try again. I’m sure this all is putting stress on her too, knowing that season 7 will be slightly messed up because of the baby. And God forbid, the woman is having a family with her husband. Geez. -__-

31. Rebeccapedia says:

Bones has been a mess of filler episodes this year, I’d really like it if they just waited and aired sixteen consecutive episodes in January, they could try a proper big arc, a series long mystery, because IMO they’ve kinda fudged the ones they’ve tried before like Gormagon and the grave digger, and maybe the sniper story will turn out great, but for now it’s totally meh. I used to LOVE this show, but it’s become depressingly formulaic, it needs a real shake-up, but if they try eps without Bones I wont tune in.

32. Chloe says:

Of course they should at least try to do the episodes without her – if Fox says they are not interested in that than go with another option – but only then.

At the end of the day the cast and crew get paid per episode so having a shorted season hurts everyone in the long run.

I don’t envy Hart for having to deal with this situation – no matter what someone will be upset even if its just Emily fans=.

Regardless congrats to Emily and her husband and hopefully it all will work itself out and lead to a great season 7.

33. Ben says:

I think it could be “cool” if they do a few episodes without her because of two things.

One, what will Boothe do without her. She’s already “run away” (kind of) once with Daisy, so I’d imagine she would either have to be hurt, kidnapped, or on maternity leave (in show). All of which would put Boothe through his paces.

Two, It would be cool if while she’s M.I.A. they got the squinterns to all work together to fill her void. I’d love to some interaction between all those characters.

34. blackr says:

They can do a few episodes without her, technically speaking. Just use all the video chat crap they’ve used in the past and then you’d never see past her neck. Yes, it won’t be the same, but it would be better than a shorter season.

35. Derek64 says:

16 episodes don’t sound too bad to this European. We have shows with WAY less episodes per season.

36. Elle says:

I think they could go a couple of episodes without her. If they delay the season until January, I think the fans will lose all interest. I loved Alias but when they did this with that show, I had just lost interest in it.

37. Sara says:

Can’t they do episodes that just don’t show her from the waist down like they did with SJP’s Carrie on “Sex and the City”? Or have her kidnapped and the team needs to find her, then Booth can’t help but proclaim his love for her when she’s found? C’mon Hart, you don’t need the writers to be able to come up with an arch like that right now, just for when it’s time to start putting it together. Or maybe Bones could surrogate for someone, then she can be preggers on the show with no need to show the baby later.

38. tahina says:

When Gillian Anderson got pregnant (first season of Xfiles), Carter created an arc around her pregnancy where Scully(Anderson) is “abducted” when Gillian was in her 8th month..she later came back on the show a month after she delivered. Can Hanson do some arc around Emily’s pregnancy, maybe some storyline that has Bones kidnapped or something less dramatic keeping her out for a while.

39. tahina says:

..wishing Emily the best-family comes first!

40. Kat says:

They should do what they did on X Files and have Bones get kidnapped (abducted on XF), if they NEED to do eps without her, that would make sense and also be great for Booth angst in his mission to find her. I, for one, have been missing the Booth angst and would love that. That would be the only way I could handle her absence if they have to do it.

41. Taryn says:

I think if they handled things creativly they could do without Brennan for a handful of episodes…creativly being the key word. One that still keeps Brennan in the forefront of the other casts minds. Personally, I think it would be interesting if the had Brennan disappear/kidnapped for that time, especially if Booth/Bones hook up this season finale. That way they can still keep some angst in the show. But that’s just my opinion. If they can’t come up with a creative way to keep her out of the show, their best option is to do a shorter season.

42. Stone says:

Well. Why don’t they just bring in the cousins to drive the Genera… Oh. Sorry. Wrong show.

43. Tom says:

Oh, just ship her off to the Amazon for some special project and have all her interaction with the team be via satellite phone. Then they can just do a head shot with a lot of static. My lord, if the writers can’t figure out a solution to this problem it’s no wonder the show is sinking fast.

44. AngelMoonGirl says:

I don’t think it would be healthy, nor would I look forward to, a “Bones” without Bones. Temperance Brennan is the star of the show outside of Booth; it is her personality, and her relationship with him, that make the show. It’s why I tune it. I’d NEVER abandon ship, especially because I know the reasoning behind why she’d be absent, but I’m just saying if Emily’s screentime gets reduced so too will my enjoyment factor. And hopefully IF that had to happen, it would be for good storyline reason. Like Brennan getting shot and having to recover or something interesting like that, to explain her less prominent role. That, or simply cut down the episode order. Better yet include the pregnancy as B&B’s! :D

45. andrea says:

I think the writers should write the pregnancy in the show with Booth obviously be the father and have her leave to hide it from him because she wasn’t ready for children, then she later returns and tells him. To be honest i think I would stop watching the show if she’s not in it. The attraction between her character and Booth is the only reason I watch the show. I wish her the best of luck with her baby!

46. laura says:

what white collar did when one of the star (granted not the lead) got pregnant was prefilm stuff with a green screen. maybe bones could go work on a project in like china or something and they consult her via webcam. then she would be in the show but since she is talking from a laptop it would only be her face seen.

47. Kelly Barabasz says:

They could always simply have her do video calls in or something instead of her not showing up at all. She also may be one of those women who don’t show much…who knows?

48. SB says:

I would totally hate not having Brennan in the show for a few episodes, but i mean, if she wasn’t there for about 3 or 4 i might be able to deal. Well i’d deal regardless cause i love bones. But they could think of some good ways to do the show without her for a bit. And if they had all the cast members perhaps learning to appreciate her more due to her absence or some kind of creative plot i think it could work. And her absence would make the fans anticipate her appearance again. The BONES team is clever enough to work around it, they worked around the writer’s strike in season 3 so I think they are capable.

49. H says:

This is kinda sad to read, Emily is the heart of the show and I don’t think I’ll enjoy watching episodes without her. I would just go for a 16-18 episodes for Season 7 and endure a long hiatus. The writers and Hart should guarantee the fans that the new Season would be great.

50. Emma says:

I don’t know how it would be if they’d do a few episodes without her, I’m guessing not so good, but I have a slight fear of the fewer episodes option too. Remember what they did the last time they had fewer episodes? They got rid of Zach with some really bad story. The end of that season was just plain bad. (Than again they can do useless and stupid things with the original number of episodes too, for example what was the purpose of Booth’s brain tumor other than that ridiculous last episode of season 5? Or if we are talking babies, how about when Bones said just out of the blue that she wants a baby, wants it now and from Booth?)