Pilot Preview: Jennifer Morrison Says Lost Fans Will Love ABC's Once Upon a Time

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful young actress named Jennifer Morrison. Many adored her when she played House, and faithful fans followed her to a “legendary” place known as How I Met Your Mother. Now, Morrison is hoping to start a new chapter in her career, as the star of an ABC adventure that offers magically delicious treats for those who savored a little show called Lost.

Morrison’s buzzy ABC pilot, Once Upon a Time, is the brainchild of Lost executive producers Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz. That pedigree is both a blessing and a curse for the series, as it will no doubt face some folks’ expectations for another Island-esque masterpiece. Fortunately, Morison tells TVLine that Losties need not worry. In fact, the pilot alone promises subtle nods to the Oceanic gang scattered throughout the hour.

“The pilot is so beautifully written, with such a great cast,” Morrison gushes. “It really is very special.”

Big Love‘s Ginnifer Goodwin Joins ABC Pilot as Snow White

But let’s backtrack: What is Once Upon a Time really all about, other than simply a “modern-day fairy tale”?

“Basically, it’s as if every fairy tale character ever written is real and actually exists, but they’ve been cursed and they don’t know their true identities,” Morrison explains. (For example, Big Love‘s Ginnifer Goodwin plays Snow White, while Swingtown‘s Lana Parrilla is the Evil Queen.) “They are living in our reality not knowing who they truly are. And because [of that], they’re never going to have their happy ending.”

Morrison plays the series’ main character, Anna, “a child of two fairy tale characters who is fated to save everyone from the curse.”

While Time is in no way an action series, “Anna is a bails bondsman, so her job in real-life is kickass… but realistically kickass,” Morrison promises. “It’s not like she’s flying or anything, she is just a tough chick. She didn’t grow up with her parents and now she’s “the chosen one,” so she’s a little messed up when we meet her.”

Hailing the aforementioned former Lost EPs and what they bring to the table, Morrison says, “Eddy and Adam are just so great at mixing this world of fantasy and reality, which they did with Lost for so many years. The pilot really sucks you in and sets up so much intrigue and conflict.”

Are you sufficiently intrigued by the Once Upon a Time premise? And how do you think it might go about making nods to the passengers of Oceanic 815?

1. Nerdista says:

NOT EVERYTHING IS A RIPOFF OF FABLES!!!!!!

2. sally says:

great story for a great actress!!! Will watch for sure

3. John says:

I KEEP THE 1,2,3,4 SEASON AS A TREASURE THE BEST TV SERIES!HOUSE CAMERON MORE FANTASTIC PARTNER,JENNIFER BURST OUT AND EVERYTHING WAS DISASTER

4. tara says:

I hope ABC let us see the pilot and maybe a full season. The description sounds fabulous! ;)

LOVE Jennifer Morrison and i wish her after the House-exit-debacle only the best. She is awesome.

5. FAN says:

I’m Morrison fan. I’m happy. It’s a important pilot. Lost is the best show ever.

6. bang bang says:

I love fables :)

7. claudia says:

Oh come è bello vedere tutte queste Huddy invidiose che insultano Jennifer perchè sanno bene che L. Edelstein non ha speranze. Ha avuto il suo primo ruolo da regular addirittura a 37 anni, nei quindici anni precedenti neanche quello riusciva ad ottenere, ed è l’unica che durante House, a parte un film sui ragni giganti (lol) non ha avuto proposte (e lo sanno pure i muri che è dovuta diventare amica dello showrunner K. Jackobs per accaparrarsi dei privilegi in uno show creativamente morto da anni che ha perso metà del suo pubblico tre o quattro anni fa, e la sua vera testa pensante, Bryan Singer, ancora prima.)
    Del futuro poi non ne parliamo, ha già detto che vuole fare la produttrice perchè sa che come attrice non ha speranze.
    Altro che bravura e personalità, lei una carriera come quella di Jennifer se la sogna, questa è la verità.

8. Kat says:

I think this show sounds very promising and I’m so glad it’s something different! I’m sick of the same old stuff (cop procedurals, sloppy sitcomes and sappy dramas) and reality TV is even worse! Good for JM for landing the lead! I bet she rocks it!

9. Red says:

Sounds utterly inane — who’s the target audience for fairy tale remakes??? And sorry to be grumpy, but I also think Morrison was much more attractive with hair that was closer to her natural color.

• @Red says:

Ähm, Blonde is her naturall hair-color. She dyed her hair brown later.

And i don`t understand what her haircolor has to do if it is a good or bad pilot. It allways depends on the writing/execution and not how the leading actress looks. BTW: i think Jennifer Morrison is very beautiful and a talented actress.

10. Michael Sivak says:

I just don’t get the appeal of Jennifer Morrison. I’ve watched House and HIMYM, and she’s just not that good. Why would someone cast her as a lead?

11. FanFicCrazy says:

Congratulations to Jenn! I love it! I hope the show airs the same time as House and it gets better ratings than House! That would be just awesome! Then she could tell D.S. and K.J. to shove certain things where the sun don’t shine. They were so ignorant for getting rid of her in order to move forward with the Huddy crap (barf). J.Mo is a beautiful, talented actress. She deserves the best. And I still am hoping that in the final season…Cameron comes back and has a hot, steamy affair with House.

12. TheReasonsY says:

Am I the only person that hates her as an actress? I wanted to watch this project but now because of her I am having doubts.

• Liz says:

Well, then don’t watch, the show doesn’t depend on you. As you can see there are more than enough enthusiastic viewers out there. Bye then! ;-)

13. weika says:

I’m soooo happy!!! Go Jen Go!!
    I’m with you. You deserve all the best!
    Kisses from France.

14. tatami says:

I love her but it’s true she is more attractive like brunette.
    Jen please, no more blond hair!

• Sally says:

It’s her natural hair color ;-) And let’s face it, she’s beautiful no matter if she has brunette or blonde hair.

15. Davon says:

strong pilot

16. Velery says:

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Glenn says:

STFU Jennifer Morrison.

18. Bruna says:

Two realities: Lisa is out and ONCE is so much interesting!

Please, if you don´t like JenMO don´t lose your time. Go cry about Lisa, and leave JenMO work going ahead. She is amazing!

I really hope Jen doesn´t back to House, the producers don´t deserve her. And this new project on her life has all the possibilites to be a BIG project!

GO ONCE! GO JEN!

19. GeorgTT says:

Jennifer Morrison always sounds in interviews as an incoherent moron. She is totally laughable on twitter. Just another blond bimbo who slept her way to the “top”. Oh and for those rabid House fans, before you attack me, House s**** with or without this dumb woman in it.

20. navistart says:

Sorry I’m late, I’m a huge Jennifer Morrison fan so I’m so happy for her, she is so sweet and talend woman..I love her so much :)

21. Conrad Plyler says:

Total ripoff of Fables. Sure, Fables wasn’t the first to combine the mundane with fairy-tale people, but it’s the dominant cannon for such things right now. Instead of translating the comics to television, they’re going to try to create a whole new cannon. Watch it if you want, but I’m going to stick with the cannon that I’ve already spent my time enjoying.

22. lora says:

Sweet did the bitter lil girl not have patents to read her stories before bed. Loosen up! !!!