Fall TV Preview

Pilot Preview: Jennifer Morrison Says Lost Fans Will Love ABC's Once Upon a Time

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful young actress named Jennifer Morrison. Many adored her when she played House, and faithful fans followed her to a “legendary” place known as How I Met Your Mother. Now, Morrison is hoping to start a new chapter in her career, as the star of an ABC adventure that offers magically delicious treats for those who savored a little show called Lost.

Morrison’s buzzy ABC pilot, Once Upon a Time, is the brainchild of Lost executive producers Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz. That pedigree is both a blessing and a curse for the series, as it will no doubt face some folks’ expectations for another Island-esque masterpiece. Fortunately, Morison tells TVLine that Losties need not worry. In fact, the pilot alone promises subtle nods to the Oceanic gang scattered throughout the hour.

“The pilot is so beautifully written, with such a great cast,” Morrison gushes. “It really is very special.”

Big Love‘s Ginnifer Goodwin Joins ABC Pilot as Snow White

But let’s backtrack: What is Once Upon a Time really all about, other than simply a “modern-day fairy tale”?

“Basically, it’s as if every fairy tale character ever written is real and actually exists, but they’ve been cursed and they don’t know their true identities,” Morrison explains. (For example, Big Love‘s Ginnifer Goodwin plays Snow White, while Swingtown‘s Lana Parrilla is the Evil Queen.) “They are living in our reality not knowing who they truly are. And because [of that], they’re never going to have their happy ending.”

Morrison plays the series’ main character, Anna, “a child of two fairy tale characters who is fated to save everyone from the curse.”

While Time is in no way an action series, “Anna is a bails bondsman, so her job in real-life is kickass… but realistically kickass,” Morrison promises. “It’s not like she’s flying or anything, she is just a tough chick. She didn’t grow up with her parents and now she’s “the chosen one,” so she’s a little messed up when we meet her.”

Hailing the aforementioned former Lost EPs and what they bring to the table, Morrison says, “Eddy and Adam are just so great at mixing this world of fantasy and reality, which they did with Lost for so many years. The pilot really sucks you in and sets up so much intrigue and conflict.”

Are you sufficiently intrigued by the Once Upon a Time premise? And how do you think it might go about making nods to the passengers of Oceanic 815?

Comments (110)

• I can’t wait for this. Sounds amazing.

Comment by RP – April 16, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow, sounds awful……Oo

Comment by MiMi – April 16, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds like a remake of the 80′s sitcom “The Charmings” booo!booo!

Comment by Prince Charming – April 16, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, it sounds more like a rip-off the graphic novel series Fables.

Comment by Jimmy – April 17, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thought the same thing. ABC was reportedly in negotiations with DC Comics/Vertigo to do a FABLES series a few years back–wish they’d gone with the real thing instead of this half-baked wannabe.

Comment by I_Captain Blanco – April 20, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • also, JMo in a leading role? LOL c’mon.

Comment by MiMi – April 16, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let me guess – LE fangirl? If you’re not interested, how about STFU?

Comment by Liz – April 16, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People will make snide comments, save your misplaced resentment. LE has nothing to do with this (and I’m a fan of JMo and LE).

The project sounds intriguing, and I’ll check it out, but still hope TPTB do right by Cameron and have her back at some point in House’s 8th (last?) season.

Comment by Alicia – April 16, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Didn’t you read that she hasn’t even heard from them since she left? That’s not going to happen, she’s doing fine on her own, I hope this pilot is picked up and goes to a series.

Comment by Sarah – April 16, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Well that’s pretty crappy, but DS, KJ and GY all seem like jerks.
            Then again, they’ve been focusing on Huddy this season, so it wouldn’t have made sense to feature Cam at this point. Though, as the series winds down it would be a big mistake not to have her back sometime during season 8. And considering they haven’t even renewed the SHOW itself for next season (negotiations being at a standstill) there’s still time to arrange something with her. After all, the majority of the cast don’t have contracts yet; TPTB could and SHOULD option JMo for a few episodes at least.

Comment by Alicia – April 16, 2011 03:40 PM PDT
          • @Alicia: they had an option for 3 episodes this season but they didn’t use it ! They don’t care about Jen. they are stupids

Comment by Anna – April 16, 2011 03:48 PM PDT
        • I miss Cameron so much :(:(:(

Comment by LittleCate – April 16, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • + 1 :(

Comment by maria – April 17, 2011 09:30 AM PDT
          • i feel the same …. :(

Comment by Illel – April 18, 2011 02:11 AM PDT
      • Wow…how is that relevant? Take your own advice…

Comment by JJ – April 16, 2011 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah. There are many bitter and envious huddies and LE fans.
      Ignore them.

Comment by valex@ – April 16, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The huddytards are just green because they know that LE’s only option is House, it’s not like there’re new jobs waiting for her, sure not a leading role ;)

Comment by Kelly – April 16, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was so excited about this show until JM was cast as the lead. She’s fine, but not as a lead.

And before anyone starts accusing, NO I am not a LE/Huddy fan. Don’t even watch House anymore. And when I did, Cameron was one of my faves. I just don’t think JMo has enough presence to carry the lead.

Comment by Fiona – April 16, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope we’ll see this pilot :)

Comment by JJ – April 16, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like a rip off of Fables which I thought was in development.

Comment by mal – April 16, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the cast is awesome!

Comment by H56 – April 16, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fables hmm..

Comment by Brice Gilbert – April 16, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fables came out after The 10th Kingdom, which was as similar or more so than the “Once Upon a Time” concept is to Fables.

There are very few completely original ideas out there, and Fables is literally recycling and using old characters, long, long since invented, and doing it in a manner which has been done before, like for example the 10th Kingdom.

If this is a rip-off of Fables, then Fables itself is a rip-off.

Comment by MisterSnrub – April 16, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds amazing! I like the fairy tale storyline, and the cast is great!

Comment by Sally – April 16, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very curious about the tone of the series, whether it’ll be whimsical a la a Bryan Fuller show, groundedly fantastical like Lost, or something completely different. It’s definitely piqued my interest.

Comment by John – April 16, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I see it going either way.
      I think it’s goal is to be more like Heroes-people are related vs. Lost’s random-interconnectedness.

Now on to the real concern: will she be blonde or brunette?!

Comment by Jenny – April 18, 2011 02:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait to see this new TV show!
    Go Jen! Go!

Comment by Aleki – April 16, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lost executive producers…they can’t go wrong!

Comment by Taz – April 16, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The split second I read Adam’s and Edward’s names, I made the decision that I’m going to be watching Once Upon a Time.

Comment by Andy – May 3, 2011 04:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sound amazing! I love Lost and I love Jennifer Morrison so I’m so exicated! She deserve a lead role.

Comment by savanna – April 16, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so psyched for this. i just hope it gets picked up, not only in the US, but in Australia, so i can actually see it.

Comment by carlie – April 16, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds cool except ive never liked a Jennifer Morrison character ever maybe she can change that if this delivers what she’s promising. Feels a little too eager to compare it to Lost though

Comment by Joe Newman – April 16, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m happy to ginnifer goodwin, jennifer morrison and lana parrilla, good luck XD

Comment by cAtEnE – April 16, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds interesting. I will give it a chance. :)

Comment by MJ – April 16, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds awesome, I’m really looking forward to this! When I first heard about this I was a bit worried it would be too sweet, but hearing the “Anna is a bails bondsman, so her job in real-life is kickass…” really put my mind at ease.

Comment by Ellie – April 16, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds pathetic. It´s pretty obvious that Lost producers want to milk the cow but this is just too lame.

Comment by Albert – April 16, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damon Lindelof

Comment by robert640 – April 16, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sincerely hope she never returns on house. I still don’t get how anyone could like her on that show. Her acting’s awful, her character’s awful. Also the premise of this show sounds incredibly lame. I hope it fails.

Comment by Marc – April 16, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So much Huddies haters, pathetic.

Comment by katanmi – April 16, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You must be a awful person, really whishing the failure of someone you don’t even know! I don’t watch House but I like JM in HIMYM and I wish her good luck even if this new show doesn’t sound interesting to me and I won’t watch it. House fandom must be an awful one, I’ve seen you guys, the huddy ones especially, act in a such obnoxious way

Comment by Amy – April 16, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting. It’s kind of a wild concept IMO so I’m hoping we get to see the pilot.

Comment by SnazzyO – April 16, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Many adored her when she played House”…seriously? Hugh Laurie plays House Jennifer mOrison played Allison Cameron on House

Comment by J – April 16, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol we post same quote in the same time lol
      “Many adored her when she played House MD”…she mean, it’s clear.
      Cameron is wonderful!

Comment by navistart – April 16, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Playing House” is a colloquialism. An expression. One that apparently went straight over your literalist head.

Comment by Mole – April 16, 2011 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *Many adored her when she played House*
    Present! I’m Cameron and House/Cameron pairing super-fan so I’m really really she is so important actress now!
    It’s a really a great news!

Comment by navistart – April 16, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love her and i wish her the best luck with this show!

Comment by leo lorusso – April 16, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m intrigued! When will it air, this fall?

Comment by erika – April 16, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IF ABC decides to pick it up, it will air some time during next season. It might air in the fall, or they could save it for a mid-season replacement.

Comment by Kate – April 16, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lost producers? WOOW great!

Comment by RATUILEE – April 16, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thanks megan masters :)

Comment by £on£ – April 16, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love supernatural-show style so I’m ready!!!!!!

Comment by I'm ready – April 16, 2011 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • jenn. mo. is. hot. spectacular. i’m. in. love. call. me. baby.

Comment by PP – April 16, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cool pilot

Comment by nosferatugirl – April 16, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sure she’s talented. Lead role in only to talented actress.

Comment by kkgg valery dosantos hyreura – April 16, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOST took a nose dive in it’s finale. I wouldn’t be so quick to compare to a series that didn’t know how to bring itself to an end.

Comment by JM – April 16, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • uh, i love LOST end.

Comment by Olivia – April 16, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t say that. LOST was about the journey of a bunch of characters. All the sci-fi goodness was just cherry on the top. What made LOST so great, and in my opinion, the series finale great was that it focused on the characters, the one’s introduced in the pilot, and how far they had come.

Comment by JohnDoe – April 16, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i respect your opinion but lost is my show fav so i love all of it.

Comment by Olivia – April 16, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with Pearson Moore in saying that “LOST is the greatest piece of fiction ever presented on television.” He wrote that in his final episode analysis. LOST was phenomenal, beginning to end. We’ll never see anything like it again.

Comment by Andy – May 3, 2011 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • good plot
    good cast
    good writers
    interesting

Comment by Olivia – April 16, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Cameron!

Comment by Serena – April 16, 2011 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • happy I’m tv addicted.

Comment by CARMEN – April 16, 2011 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you want to know what they’re ripping off, google “Jasper Fforde” and “Nursery Crimes series”.

Comment by Brad – April 16, 2011 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait!

Comment by Dguhfft – April 16, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t kid yourselves about the genesis of this project. Fables is currently a hot property and it’s treatment has been making the rounds for a few years now. There may have been precedents for what Willingham did with Fables, but this show is just plain ripping Fables off.

Comment by Ed – April 16, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting concept. I’ll certainly will check it out. At least it’s not another boring procedural which will also help me remember this show isn’t airing on CBS.

Comment by JDuro – April 16, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to see Jennifer Morrison in the lead of a show. I really hope this makes it on to the fall schedule. She is an amazing actress and I look forward to seeing anything she does.

Comment by Laura – April 16, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her.

Comment by NJC – April 16, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The story doesn’t sound promising, sorry Jennifer’s fans, looks like you are up for another disappointment. JM as a lead is a questionable choice. She lacks personality, and that’s why all her characters seem especially annoying, there is no depth to them. I don’t mind being wrong though and wish her best of luck.

Comment by Anne – April 16, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Anne – April 16, 2011 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Huddy trolls are so annoying. She is a great actress and have a great personality.
      Get a life.

Comment by Chiara – April 17, 2011 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, not a fan of LE either. And you know what’s more annoying? Generalizing idiots who go through life by putting labels on everyone who doesn’t share their opinion. Get a brain.

Comment by Anne – April 17, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You should get both, a life AND brain, you obviously have neither. BTW you just put your own label on yourself, congrats.

Comment by Liz – May 20, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I doubt that YOU are the right person to judge if Jennifer (or anyone else) has personality or not. The producers probably know her better than you, and imo they made the right choice.

Comment by Sally – May 20, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it’s on ABC, I won’t be watching.

Comment by tazzy – April 16, 2011 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds really intriguing! Def peaked my interest.

Comment by Kiara – April 16, 2011 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll never go near anything that has “Lost” in the description.

Comment by Nic – April 16, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • jenn m. is so hot, love her. i hope the show is everything she said it would be. imma wait for this.

Comment by phoebe101 – April 16, 2011 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this tripe will be canceled by November sounds god awful and junk marketed to broads since the women folk will watch any crap.

Anybody associated with Lost needs to be looked on with with deep suspicion since the two Lost show runner tards were complete morons, they must have infected their inferiors.

Comment by RicardoCabeza – April 16, 2011 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Troll much?

Comment by Whoop – April 17, 2011 02:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You probably said LOST wouldn’t make it to November, too.

Comment by Andy – May 3, 2011 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really looking forward to this. Didn’t like Lost, so don’t care for that attempt at association, but this sounds fun.

Comment by XK – April 16, 2011 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? Not a fan of LOST? You had to be obsessed with something about LOST. Season 1? 2? 3? Good looking women? Good looking guys? Amazing sci-fi? Amazing character stories and characers? Did you watch LOST?

Comment by robertm2342@gmail.com – May 3, 2011 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post