Fringe Scoop: Beloved Character Will [Spoiler]!

That noise you hear is the sound of me frantically updating TVLine’s May Sweeps Scorecard with this breaking development: A Fringe character is headed to the alternate universe known as heaven in the May 6 finale.

“Somebody who we all love deeply will die,” revealed executive producer Jeff Pinkner in a conference call to reporters on Thursday. Added fellow EP J.H. Wyman:Fringe always does things the way you don’t expect, so it’s going to be effective, and it will be self-explanatory. Thats sort of all we can say without spoiling anything.”

Elaborating on next month’s climax, Pinkner said, “Hopefully it will be wholly unexpected and it will recontextualize the story of Season 3 in a really cool way, and be fun and entertaining and mind-blowing.”

One thing the season-ender will not feature is the introduction of a long-rumored third universe. “We are not introducing a third world,” Pinkner maintained. “We still have plenty of story to tell just in those two worlds. Maybe at some pont in the future there will be a third world, but not yet.”

The just-renewed drama returns Friday with the first of four consecutive all-new episodes. Previews for the eppy strongly hint at a reappearance by Leonard Nimoy’s William Bell… at least in some form. “William is present,” Pinkner confirms, “and in a way that gives new meaning to ‘alternate reality.’ But its very much Leonard Nimoy.”

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Ross says:

My gut instinct says it’s Nina Sharpe…which is a disappointment. She was such a promising character in the first season and I feel like they have just made her the character who spews useless-exposition this season.

Though Nina is the only character who we have not seen an alternate version of…

2. LisaDa says:

If they kill Walter ( And i assuming they would never do that) then it will run the show into the ground, as he is one of the main reasons i return week after week

3. nathy says:

OMG IS OLIVIA, OMG OMG OMG I’M GONNA DIE WITH HEEEEEEEEEEER =((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

• gabriella says:

Way to be overly dramatic.

And I have to say that killing Olivia would be interesting, but noot plausible to the story since fringe IS ALL ABOUT OLIVIA. She is the main character. While there have been other shows that have gotten rid of the main character and survived, the entire show is based on her perception of the world around her and how she deals with the alternate worlds and how she plays in the main role in the destruction or not of the worlds. The cant pit Peter against two Olivias trying to make him choose one or ther other without two choices.

Analizing what Ausiello said (somebody we DEEPLY love) I can only assume it would be walter, olivia and peter. And since peter and olivia are sooo central to the story at the moment it seems har to believe they would do that. Killing walter would be extremely detrimental as well, since the reason we have the entire plot is because of him.

This leads me to Astrid. She is deeply loved, but would not destroy any plot lines, perhaps her death would affect walter in a certain way, and they would use alt-strid in some capacity over here. Who knows… then again maybe Ausiello is just messing with us as he does so frequetly and the one who dies is Frank… again.

• kelsey says:

AH I KNOW! I’ve seen the screen pages that say that Olivia is killed, but i am hoping hoping hoping that they are fakes being passed around to mislead us

4. Tim says:

Broyles (The alternate one is dead so him dying puts it back into balance). If it isn’t him it will be Astrid.

But as long as it isn’t Walter, Olivia, or Peter it’s okay since the other characters are rather minor.

• rowan says:

There has never been a need for balance with both universes. Olivia’s sister and niece are dead in the other universe, The recent episode with the old man and woman )who thought they were seeing their dead spouses through a weak spot between the worlds) had several daughters in one universe and no children in the other. Charlie’s dead here, but not there. Bolivia’s mother is alive there, but Olivia’s isn’t, and is does Nina Sharpe even exist in the other universe? There has been no connection between the two worlds as far as balance goes. The only reason they connect at all is because of Walter and Bell tearing holes between the two worlds.

5. kalel114 says:

It’s Olivia, but Olivia in the future. Write it down.

6. xav says:

Better not be my bb Nina Sharpe. I need her being all badass in the new season.

7. LarsBR says:

Oh noes, not Gene!

8. j says:

It’s Olivia. Faux or ours, I’m not sure, but I’m leaning towards ours. But Fauxlivia will soul magnet it up and it’ll be both Olivias in one body, each struggling to be the dominant personality.

9. says:

• Duncan Houst says:

Three things. One, do you think that “leak” would still be up if the writers knew that it would ruin their show?
      Two, aren’t these types of shows geniuses in misinformation?
      Three, Doesn’t “Walternate kills Olivia” seem more than a little vague to you?

• John says:

There set photos of one of the Olivias getting shot excatly as shown in that “leak”. The leak was not made up or false. The question is which one gets shot?

• Nick says:

Omg, please SHUT UP when posting about unofficial set leaks like screen pages. If it turns out to be true you just ruined for everyone who accidentally read your comments, a-holes.

10. real1 says:

Please .. not Olivia ! … Olivia is Fringe , fauxlivia is non sense , don’t Kill fringe by your own hand !

11. Amandda says:

The cow.

12. klutz says:

What about Olivia’s niece? (So hoping it’s not Astrid.)

13. Michelle says:

Please be Fauxlivia. As long as it’s not our Walter, Olivia or Peter I can deal. Or Lincoln.

14. jules says:

I’m going with alt Olivia or alt Lincoln.

15. Jamie says:

I personally would love it if it was Faulivia who dies. But then your piece says it’s a character “we all deaply love” so there’s no way that Fauxlivia sadly. hope it’s not the cow.

16. postman says:

william bell will die.

17. Bob says:

It’s the cow. Count on it!

18. king3714 says:

1. September (The Observer)
    2. Alt Lincoln
    3. Astrid

19. Mark says:

Is it too much to hope it’s Fauxlivia? I am done with that character for weeks now which is probably whey she won’t die, but man, the show would be infinitely better with that character gone. Anna Torv is an amazing actress, but Fauxlivia gets on my last nerve and I fight the urge to change the channel when the SL revolves around that character.

20. muir says:

Maybe it’s Henry, the cab driver, who I do adore. I’m really worried it’s going to be Scarlie or our Astrid.

21. Neal says:

Thank goodness they are not introducing a 3rd universe. Outside of Lincoln, Charlie and Henry, I loathe the rest of the Alt Universe and cannot wait for that whole mess to end. Time to go back to focusing on our world and our outstanding characters again because going back and forth all the time has lost it’s gimmicky appeal.

• Tarc says:

If you hate ‘the whole alternate universe’ then you hate Fringe in it’s entirety because they are inseperable. Geesh. Stop watching and stop posting. Thx bye.

• Cameron says:

I wouldn’t say thats nessessarily true. I love all the Fringe episodes (except that musical one) but I enjoy the alt-episodes a little less. Probably at least partly because they tend to do them after a big universe number 1 cliffhanger and you have to wait longer to find out what happens next. Except for Charlie Francis, Kirk Acevedo is awesome in everything he is in.

• Jules says:

I have to agree with Cameron. I faithfully watch every week and I love love love Fringe but I like the episodes with our universe better than alt even though I really do like Charlie, Lincoln and Henry in the Alt. world.

• Neal says:

Oh good lord Tarc, get over yourself. I love Fringe and the fact that I hate some of the Alt characters does NOT mean I hate the show. I love how some “so called fans” think they can lecture others for their opinion. Do us all a favor and STFU.

22. Jeanette says:

I think Sam Weiss or Ella. I dont think its Peter because they said they will not kill Peter on twitter, and I’m naive enough to believe it…

23. Alex says:

Maybe Astrid since it’s been 3 seasons and they STILL haven’t given her any storylines. Her only use on the show is literally to be the lab assistant, and once or twice she has “solved” some kind of problem but that could easily be done by another character.

• Lisa Mortini says:

I agree, I think it’s Astrid. As much as I like the actress (she’s made the most of what she’s had and she’s great “over there”), Astrid as a character is very under-developed. She’s indeed an errands girl and lab technician, nothing more.

• teniba says:

I mean the character do not contribute to the overall storyline like Nina or Broyles do, she is remotely an fbi agent, she is glorified errand girl and nany for Walter… i like Jassika Nichols but it’s time for her to be doing something more challenging on tv than repeating the same lines over and over….

24. Gii B says:

I truly hope it’s not one of the main characters (Olivia, Peter, Walter), they would definetly kill the show!
    Personally I think it’s rather Nina or Astrid, but we’ll see…
    I don’t like it when great characters like that die, like in TVD, they ALWAYS kill characters, what makes the story a little weird because there are so many people!
    I hope Fringe and the writers make good choices, I really do!
    (but more important than anyone else,please don’t die, Gene!)

25. e says:

as long as it’s not our Olivia,Walter or Peter i think i’ll be able to handle it.
    some people suggested Gene:hmm,so you’re telling me the finale will be about the Fringe divison making hamburger?XD

26. Alex says:

Olivia is the show not matter how many characters Anna Torv plays, kill Olivia and I’m outta here, I had enough of shows killing or firing fans’ favorites to revitalize or make more entertaining a show. No wonder reality shows are such a hit.

27. Lore says:

Maybe is AltOlivia, remember shes coming to our world, or Nina, maybe they killing their Charlie, please, do not do that, i can not suffer that again.

28. Paul says:

Earlier in the season, an Observer is watching Walter and Peter – he then comments that he is still alive.

Since the Observers are time travellers, I assume that means that one of them is about to die.

My money is on Walter.

29. Burgess says:

The key is “beloved” I think that means Peter, Olivia, Walter or Astrid. I’m just glad I stopped watching when it moved to Friday.

30. Cheryl says:

Yes because character deaths are so unexpected on television. I bet its the cow!

31. Lisa says:

It’s definitely OurLivia and we know the only way they could kill her off without throwing the whole Fringeverse into madness is to do it in a way that her death doesn’t affect our CURRENT storyline.

32. Carly says:

Kill our Olivia and I’m done watching Fringe. Kill AltOlivia and I’ll be doing a happy dance all day long. That is all….

33. Charles J says:

Peter has been working on studying the shape-shifters. We know it is him in the prophecy, that he has the unique DNA… but, what if he can just create a shape-shifter copy of himself? If so, then, the copy can take on the doomsday device, and thus, we see “Peter” die in the finale.

34. Michelle says:

I can’t think of anyone “beloved” they could kill without totally screwing up the dynamic. Possibly Broyles- that would be tragic, but the show would survive. Nina too. If they kill Lincoln I’m going to flip out.

• Lisa London says:

Both Lincolns have been the best thing this end of the season – they have to stick around! Hope Seth Gabel becomes a regular next year.

• Lynn says:

No, not really. His acting has been one of the worst things I’ve seen this year. He only did a decent job during the birth scene, although the scene itself was soapish. He has those girlish good looks, that attracts teenagers, so I hope he sticks around for the sake of extra ratings.

• AC says:

I agree. Lincoln is very undeveloped as a character, yet women are squeeing over him while throwing Peter under a bus. Right now, Lincoln makes me yawn. He needs more substance.

35. Ingmar says:

Always hard to make the good guess, but if I had to guess it would be Astrid. They wouldn’t kill Olivia, Peter and Walter althought there is a minor chance it is Peter, since I just read the comment that the observer said : He’s still alive.

36. john t. says:

haha! glad i wasn’t the only one who thought it was gene!

37. perter says:

I hope Olivia doesn’t die so you annoying Olivia fans would shut up!

38. Claire says:

As long as it’s not the core group of OurUniverse characters I’m fine. I also really loe Lincoln and Charlie, but I’d be fine with AltOlivia or Walternet dying. But since it’s beloved and I’m reading a lot of AltOlivia hate (I get it it, trust), then I suppose it’s someone from our Universe which makes me sad already.

39. Tansy says:

I hope he’s just messing with us, or it’s someone random.
    Jessup enters the lab… “Hey guys!” *BANG* mmm whatcha say…

If it’s Lincoln I’ll die inside.

40. Kaibosh says:

1) Astrid: We all love her and it would be tragic and terrible. But would her death recontextualize the show? I don’t believe it would. I don’t think its Astrid; ours or theirs.

2) Broyles: His death would lend balance to the two universes and change the show. I haven’t heard anything about Lance Reddick leaving the show however. There is a strong case that it could be Broyles.

3) Olivia: This death would be a huge game changer and does fit the description above. However Olivia is the hero and everything that the show has done to make us believe that Peter and Olivia were always destined to be together in that field of white tulips would all be for nothing.

4) Fauxlivia: This would also be a huge game changer and I can see some definite dramatic possibilities with this. Fauxlivia redeemed and hands the baby over to Olivia and Peter to raise as their own. Heart broken Lincoln seeks revenge. It does have legs but is Fauxlivia “deeply loved” enough?

5) Walter: Very much loved by all. His death would bring peace to his inner demons seeking redemption for his past sins. It would be fine drama and John Noble wouldn’t be going anywhere.

This one is tough.

41. Lisa London says:

Has anyone thought that it could be Peter and FauxLivia’s baby? As horrible as it would be, it could be quite the game changer.
    Also, not to start a debate, but am I the only one who really likes it “over there”? Most fans seem to dislike these episodes – I love them. Hot Lincoln, amazing Charlie, weird Astrid, evil Brandon, “Dogs, the musical”: what’s not to love!

• Elizabeth says:

I love it “over there.” I keep hoping there’ll be an “Odd Couple” spin-off with Lincoln and Scarlie. (Hey, a girl can dream.) ;)

• MJ says:

I love the alternete universe too! I always get excited when we get episodes “over there”. I don’t get why some peple hate it. And I like Fauxlivia too (but I do understand people hating her)so I hope she’s not the one who dies.

42. Christopher MacKinnon says:

Could it be Lincoln Lee (Alt)… or even Charlie (again)? They are both well loved, and no where does it say our universe… though I would be pretty angry if they killed either one of them.

43. whypeterbishop says:

Kaibosh, funny how you didn’t bother to mention peter! But that’s ok, all because of Walter and Olivia, peter doesn’t even exist on this show.

44. Pocki says:

Well, from what we’ve seen Walternate kills Olivia in what seems to be the future. But is that what they mean? Cause that sure isn’t unexpected. The reasons might be though, hoping for that. And to add to some comments about this higher up: the “Walternate kills Olivia” is just summing up a scene. Clean and simple. Because we also got “Funeral by the riverfront” or something along those lines. And then the pictures of Walter shooting Olivia. Well, one of the Olivias, we don’t know who (she’s wearing a ring though, as is Peter. Interestiiiing)

But can they stick with that future timeline? Feels weird putting s4 is like, a post apocalyptic world. Reverse button?

The only one I can bare losing on the show fod good is alt!Brandon tbh. Or the baby, becaus eI’m not attahced yet. Maybe Walternate as well. But the rest, no way.

45. allie says:

The way they state it is interesting: “Fringe always does things the way you don’t expect, so it’s going to be effective, and it will be self-explanatory.” The way the Observers have been acting lately my money is on Peter “dying” while activating the Machine with Walter letting him “die” in order to stop the destuction of the universes and then Walter is able to save him (somehow) after he sees a glimpse of Heaven. I find it really hard to believe that they’d permanently kill of Peter, Walter or Olivia.

46. Bill says:

It has to be Astrid, Remember they are introducing a new young female FBI agent in the season finale and will be a regular next season. She must be taking Astrid’s place in the lab.

47. Natalie says:

I so wish it was Fauxlivia. I’m so done with her and her SL. But my guess is it’s Astrid. Joshua Jackson did a radio interview last week in which he said they had wrapped this seasons work, but he would be back sometime in June to start filming S4, which leads me to believe Peter isn’t going anywhere. I hope it’s not our Olivia either because it would take my dislike and annoyance of Fauxlivia and just amp it up by 100. I wouldn’t mind seeing the end of the AltUniverse SL as long as somehow Lincoln and Charlie get moved into our Universe because I think they would add to the cast. Can’t wait to see the finale. It’s gonna be good!

48. Anonymous says:

It’s the bowling alley guy that wrote the books. This is OLD news.

49. Mick says:

I think it’s Fauxlivia. The last few episodes has portrayed a much more humanized version of her. With Peter feeling the way he does about both Olivias, and how evil Walternate is becoming, Fauxlivia becomes more sympathetic. What could be more crushing than seeing a new mother killed off, and seeing an infant pulled away from his mother? Delivered into Walternate’s arms?

50. claire says:

Great, they’re going to kill Charlie. Again.