Exclusive

Exclusive: Castle Boss on 'Explosive' Finale and a Major 'Crisis' For Castle and Beckett!

OK, here’s the deal: I want to tell you that the May 16 season finale of ABC’s Castle is going to be mind-blowing. I’d like to say that it’s going to be epic, that it’s going to further along the investigation into the murder of Beckett’s mother (and in a big way), and that it’s even going to further along the relationship between the detective and our title author (though not necessarily for the better). But instead, I’ll let executive producer Andrew W. Marlowe tell you. Cool? Cool.

TVLINE | How much of the finale is about Castle and Beckett’s relationship?
It’s essential in the finale.

TVLINE | I feel like there’s nothing standing in the way of them getting together at this point. I was watching the scene at the end of Monday’s episode thinking, “And Castle isn’t making a move here because…?”
It’s very challenging. And it’s something I need to address for next season. I don’t think the audience is ready for [a Castle/Beckett romance] yet, even though the ‘shippers are crying out for it.  I feel like it isn’t quite time for them to get together as a couple. But I do recognize that they have to move to a different level in their relationship and there has to be a significant obstacle to them getting together. So for me it’s how I do that in an honest way.

TVLINE | Can you rule out a reappearance by Gina and/or Josh?
I can promise you that they will not be showing up in the final episode. That element is relatively played out for us. And our audience has extended us some good will on that front. But we have other surprises in store.

TVLINE | Can you confirm that there’s a significant death?
I can confirm that [someone] we’ve seen many, many times before does die in the finale.

TVLINE | Does the death tie into the murder of Beckett’s mother?
It’s both tangential and significant.

TVLINE | Speaking of which, is it safe to say there’s a breakthrough in that case?
We will learn a significant amount about the conspiracy…  Something happens to Hal Lockwood [the sniper introduced in this season's "Knockdown" episode], and it opens up an avenue of investigation in such a way that Beckett feels that she can get close to the real person behind all of this.

TVLINE | Anything else can you say about the finale?
The season is going to end with a pretty explosive climax that has to do fundamentally with Beckett and Castle’s relationship. There’s a crisis that is very much intertwined with the emotionally raw aspects of Beckett having to deal with her mother’s case again. And it’s a cliffhanger. Fans should be prepared for that so they don’t bitch me out.

Thoughts? Do you agree with Marlowe that it’s too soon for Castle and Beckett to, you know, go there? And are you concerned about  this ominous sounding obstacle he’s planning to throw their way? Sound off below!

1. SnazzyO says:

Dear Mr Marlowe — prepare to be bitched out.

Really. Have you learned NOTHING from the show called Bones? That show has lost so many fans due to the constant yanking around of the relationship.

Ready for a cliffhanger. Check.
    Ready to be pissed at the show and consider not returning. Check.
    Ready for Mr Marlowe to stop milking the cow. Check.

• Bruce_F says:

Much to the chagrin of constantly complaining Bones fans, Bones is on the greatest ratings streak of the entire series. It’s not really a good cautionary tale if that’s what you’re aiming at.

• cb says:

Only because some of us are staying to finally see bb together and the new people following the show are because it’s a good show. And it is but the whole bb not getting together pisses people off myself included.

• laura says:

I love castle and would still watch if Castle and Beckett were a couple. Its when they kill of characters that are part of the reason the show flows that makes me stop watching. Why do they always feel they need to kill of a main character to get ratings

• Barbara says:

I agree with you, back in the day some of the most successful movies and (when TV finally got going) were shows and movies with detective couples i.e., Nick and Nora Charles, if I were not so tired I could think of more.

• Rozie says:

I would still watch it too if they got together, seeing sparks fly episode after episode gets annoying, they care for each other so take it to the next level. Does anyone remember Moonlighting, when they finally get together? I am sure everyone enjoyed that episode; we would have watched more if there had been more. So get going with Castle and Beckett!!!

• Laura says:

To Barbara: Hart to Hart and McMillian and Wife to name two shows. The caveat is if the writers can make it a believable storyline that Castle and Beckett get married and keep investigating.

• Susan says:

Anyone ever hear of the phrase “jumping the shark?” Or of the “Moonlighting” curse? If they get together, it will be good for a while then bye bye show.

• Denise says:

I love Castle and, even though I want Castle and Beckett to get together, how many great shows survived more than a year after the 2 lead characters became romantically involved.? I would rather the show continued for many years than see them get together and have the ratings drop after a short period of time.

• poppie65 says:

I agree.

• Sue says:

I agree. Most shows flop after the stars get together. Love that the chemistry is there though.

• Katie says:

I totally agree!

• Doug says:

That’s what I was thinking. The 2 lead characters get together and it loses something. I like it the way it is for now. I bet Castle’s mother gets killed and he becomes a cop. Then another season or 2 of bonding theeen they get together.

• Linder says:

Thank you! I do not feel like Castle and Becket should ‘get together’ and watch them loose the tension that makes the show so engaging. Please keep the show going. Thanks for the warning about the cliffhanger- I’ll be ready. But why do we have to wait til May? Will be missing it til then.

• sandy says:

I agree. Part of the draw of this show is the constant “affection for one another” without actually engaging it. It keeps the show real, raw and relevant!

• Sami says:

I am ok with Castle and Beckett not getting together. Although at times I’ve wanted to see them at least kiss, I think it’s a great dynamic that the two have working together. I love how the other detectives pick up on the subtle hints between Castle and Beckett. I want the show to keep going, so while I may feel a little cheated by the end of the season, I always look forward to the new season that much more. Thanks for a great show!

• Doo says:

You are right on.

• sondra Kucklick says:

I agree, they don’t have to get together, but a kiss here and there would be great!

• Karen says:

Sami – I totally agree with your assessment. I LOVE the chemistry, not just between Castle and Beckett, but the way the entire cast works together. Losing any of the major players will really change things up. I’d like to see Castle and Beckett ratchet up the heat a notch occasionally, but don’t want to see the show turn into a soap opera filled with sleazy sex scenes and such. If he can’t live at my house, I want years and years of Castle on TV!

• Jan says:

I totally agree with Denise.

• Doo says:

I loved the x-files- the office- if you take out that tension, it is hard to keep it going. I want to see them get together, but I enjoy watching the show And want to see it last longer than 4 seasons. It sucks to wait it out, but the truth is, once the 2 hook up it’s going to be tough to keep the fans coming back. You are all asking for a conclusion. Why now? Let them have some fun with it. It will happen eventually.

• Wanda Bickers says:

I totally agree, even though I would love to Castle and Beckett get together…It needs to wait.

• critt says:

That is the writer’s fault not the fans that show don’t last after pairing the primary characters. If the writers would stop ‘milking’ the relationship in these types of show and break new ground with relationship building while being a couple that would shock all. It seems that when the writers finally get around to coupling the couple they’re pretty much wrung out and don’t have anything left. Hence, the show looses viewership and gets cancelled.

• crissy says:

I agree totally, the sooner the writers stop ‘milking’ this and pair up the characters, the better. With the dynamic they have created the show could be even stronger as a result of the new level. It could be an opportunity for the Kate/Richy ‘finish each others thoughts’ dynamic to introduce even more complex plots.

• laura says:

I agree, the writers can still make the show even if they are a couple as long as they keep the characters the same example castles quirkiness and fun sayings, the show will still be good but we can also feel good when watching that two people are in love with each other. Death makes us mad and unhappy. Love makes us happy and feel good!

• Taz says:

I agree that they should get together. The reason that those shows didn’t last long after getting the two main characters together is that they built it up so much over too much time that when the characters did get together it was almost a let down. That is like when you flirt with someone for a long time that you get really interested in them, then things fall flat. What a waste of time then and that’s why viewers tune out because they feel robbed. Have them start to date and build a relationship that way. There doesn’t have to be physical consummation of the relationship right away but let’s get them on the road at least.

• Mary says:

I totally agree………it keeps me coming back! But not just to see them strike up a romance but I like the characters and the way they interact with each other.

Oh I hope it’s not his mom that dies or his daughter, I love them. It’s nice to see him in his home setting with them.

• Karen says:

I agree, I also hope that you don’t kill off Castle’s Mother or Daughter, they provide good sub-plots & comic relief. I like seeing the other side of Rick Castle, at home.

• Natalie Schmidt says:

I thoroughly agree with Denise. The interaction between Castle and Beckett is what keeps me watching each week. If their current relationship changed I don’t think I’d have as much interest in tuning in each week. I’m worried though about the loss of someone we all know.

• Blair says:

Hill Street Blues did a nice job with an ongoing romantic relationship, but the best was Babylon 5, which created the romantic tension and then followed through with one of the best adult relationships on TV.

• Michelle says:

Chuck will. Why? Because it has awesome, fun writing with so many other things going on than the Chuck/Sarah relationship! Take a lesson from this show…it’s gonna be around at least a couple more seasons in my estimation.

• Carol says:

I totally agree, too many shows have gone downhill once the romantic/sexual tension between the lead characters has gone.

• Eleanor says:

Yup…..Beckett and Castle are wonderful just as they are….they do not need to get together romantically….they are already intensely romantic in keeping their distance from each other. The crime solving would lose something if they were melded together…the show is the best…do not mess with perfection.

• Doctrine says:

I have to agree. When moonlighting characters got together is was really exciting for fans. It also effectively ended the series. That tension had filled in the gaps where storylines didn’t quite hit the mark. The new episodes were considered to be repeats without that underlying plotline to keep advancing. The rest was just variations on a theme.

• joanie says:

Moonlightning didn’t go down the tubes because of the characters getting together, it was after they did the writers got stupid, and the story went to the dogs. She’s pregnant and doesn’t know if he’s the father. Please, it could have taken many different ( much better) roads than that one.

• Barbara says:

I totally agree! I would hate the Moonlighting Curse to strike this show.

• Cathy says:

I totally agree with you Denise. Look what happened to the main characters in Moonlighting. Once the hooked up romantically, the show fizzled out. It was a great show and fun to watch. I hope they keep Castle going for many years to come. The Castle & Beckett characters can certainly handle some sexual tension & still remain interesting characters.

• Rosanna says:

Correction – Moonlighting fizzled because the main characters hated each other in real life and were more than happy to stop working together. I stopped watching Grey’s Anatomy because Derek and Grey were on and off again to the point where it was annoying and silly. Let’s hope the writers of CASTLE move forward in a realistic progression that makes us all happy in the end.

• Kirsten says:

The reason behind most shows ending when the main characters get together is when the writers run out of ideas and can’t keep the fire burning. Marlowe (despite his stupid STUPID decision to kill someone off… may have to consider not returning to Castle cause I’m gonna be beyond repair….) is VERY good at writing and WOULD NEVER do that to his fans, because he’s already killing someone off… AND IT’S ONLY THE THIRD SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          He’d better be prepared for some bitchin’ cause I’m gonna give him some!

• Mitch45 says:

I said the same thing on a Bones blog… I don’t think it’s the fact that the main characters get together, I think it’s because suddenly that’s ALL the show is about!! If the writers would stick to the formula (witty banter, solving crimes, EVERYONE on the show still playing their roles), and have the romance more of a side story rather than what the entire show focuses on, they could pull it off. Everyone keeps harping on how the chemistry is no longer there after the characters get together… well, that’s because we see too much of them together! All they have to do it take it just a liiiiiiiittle bit further than they do now, and the chemistry will survive. I’d bet on it.

• crystal says:

Part of the reason Bones is having a great ratings streak is because of the Idol lead in. Their up-tick in ratings started about the same time as the new Idol season. However I do think it’s time Castle and Beckett get together.

• Kathy says:

For an intelligent person Bones becomes annoying with not understanding people. She needs to lighten up and stop being so insulting

• A. Trest says:

I followed Bones until epsoide l00 after that I rarly watched it, I was so tired of being jerked around by Hart Hanson, but B&B seen to be getting back together, that is why their show is so popular once again. I hope that castle writers does not follow in Hart Handson footstepts and jerk us around..I love Castle and Beckett together, they were made for each other.. Beckett has a lot more common sense than Bones ever will but I like Bones too…. Hey they don’t have to jump in the bed with each other to show that they care for one another…

• Jem says:

Bones is on a greatest ratings streak because

a) Fox has finally stopped moving it around
      b) Fox also scheduled Bones right after American Idol, which is about the best darn lead in ever.

Truth is, lots of old fans have been getting tired at the incessant will they or won’t they. It’s getting old, and dragging on way too much.

Castle is still okay with the will they or won’t they because it is only in season 3. If it was the same age as Bones (meaning if it was already the 6th season of Castle), and those 2 are still not together, I guarantee you people would be feeling the exact same way about both shows.

• melita says:

thats exactly what nobody right now is seeing
        i am sorry but there not that much development in the relationship at all and if it continues like this i m sure castles fans will feel the same as bones fans
        so there is no use comparing it to bones at all

• j says:

I agree. Castle is only in season 3, while Bones is in season 6. I want B&B to get together already, because it’s been such a long time coming and if they don’t do it soon, I’ll get too frustrated to care. Similarly, I do want Castle and Beckett to get together also, but I am content to wait a little bit longer. I like the idea, as someone suggested above, of them exploring the idea of dating for a while, but not necessarily going further yet. At least then there would be the recognition that they have feelings for each other, which will make some of us happy, and allow sufficient time for the relationship to grow stronger.

Writers, give yourselves some credit. A successful TV relationship is all about how well you write it. There’s no unwritten law that says ANY tv relationship is doomed to fail.

• H says:

True, there also is no unwritten law that says ANY non-TV relationship is doomed to fail or that TV relationships cannot follow relationship patterns of real life. The writers must make a decision on where they want the relationship to begin, grow, and change and be prepared for surprises as the stroy elements interact with their plan. MAKE IT BELIEVABLE! Show DON’T tell! So far Castle has done an excellent job of both those directives. Yay! :)

P.S. It’d be interesting to see how a full-time father and writer and a full-time police officer (with all the long hours and sleepless nights that entails) approach dating. Hmmm, so many possibilities….

• Kcat10 says:

Dear Mr. Marlowe—prepare to have my full support!

Please ignore the “Negative Nancys” as Nathan Fillion calls them. I don’t understand those who would bite the hand that feeds them; the “bitch out” bunch.

What I do understand is that you and your crack team of ace storytellers have succeeded in producing the absolute BEST show on television today. I am in awe of your gift to us.

Every week you present a show so well thought out, so meticulously crafted, so beautifully acted, it is stunning. Today, when I learned that someone is going to die on Castle, I welled up with tears at the thought of losing anyone from this amazing cast. This is unusual for me, because I tend to be a little more detached than that. After all, it’s just a television show. But what a show it is! I have fallen in love with it and with everyone on it, cast and crew alike!

I am deeply grateful to you, Terri, and everyone for treating your audience with genuine respect. This is a tangible thing that radiates through the very fiber of the work itself. When it comes to the “will they or won’t they” element, I see the wisdom of the dance that Nathan has spoken about time and again. You have won my trust. I know I am in good hands with you and your incredible creation. I am content to follow wherever you lead.

Carry on, good sir.

Blessings and gratitude to all of you,

Kcat10

• Josephine Corga says:

I could not have said it better, Kcat10! I LOVE this show; I am one of these people who watch it on Monday, watch the recording on Tuesday morning and again a couple days later, as I don’t want to miss any nuance.
        The only thing I would add here is, what’s happened to the relationship with Kate and Josh? It seems like she spent a lot of time with Alex Conrad and not once did she mention Josh having to work late, or that he was off saving the world somewhere…

• Patti says:

I could not have said it better myself–I totally agree with Kcat10! “Castle” writers have been amazing–it’s well thought out, consistant writing each week!! Why mess with a good thing? I feel that since day 1, Castle episodes have grown precisely as they were written–never going off track, with progression and timely build-up to where it is now. I feel Kate and Rick will get together when its time, but changing the way this show has been written to please the fans is wrong. We all love the show because of the great writing and of course the great acting of the entire cast…..so let’s just let the “show”, that we all love and adore run its great course and let the writers continue doing what they do best! After all, have they let us down yet? How many times has just cutting to the chase ruined things? I am definitely in favor of C/B getting together, but when it’s right. All the fans will keep watching–if they like the intrigue,suspence and of course, the obvious….”A good mystery”!! Hats off to amazing writing!!

• Kcat10 says:

Thank you very much, Patti!

• Glenda says:

This show had become one of my “must see” because of the incredible writing and acting. As for the impending relationship, I would refer to my other favorite show NCIS (sorry another network) where the tension between Tony and Ziva has been a constant but not a distraction. Castle and Beckett seem to be in that same zone right now. It works.

• candy says:

amen to that. I agree with everything you said. Just leave the writers alone and let them create. Everything they have done so far is great.

• Sherry says:

I agree w/letting the writers do their thing. Castle is my favorite show and has been since day one. I gotta admit that I do and I don’t want castle and Beckett get together. I do because the characters are perfect for eachother and I don’t because of Moonlighting……Does anyone remember what happened there????

• j says:

Castle is one of only two shows that I absolutely MUST see every week…and I definitely want the leads to get together. I don’t think that Moonlighting is a fair comparison, though, when thinking about why a relationship could ruin the show. Moonlighting, while highly entertaining, wasn’t as well-written as Castle. The chemistry between the leads was more like a love/hate (on screen and in real life!), which is nothing like what Castle and Beckett have. I think a relationship on Castle would be just the beginning of a great new story, rather than the finale.

• jkdtx says:

I totally agree, Sherry. I loved Moonlighting. The chemistry between David and Maddie was terrific – until they got together and it changed everything. After that the show didn’t last a year. I don’t want Beckett and Castle to get together. I like the chemistry between the two – it’s what makes the show work. It’s a terrific program.

• H says:

Ugh! Why did you have to say “run its course”? I agreed with your post until that unfortunate turn of phrase. I hate it when shows have run their course because then you lose the characters and story that you have come to love. T.T So sad!
          However, I think you are correct the writers should stick to their guns about how the story is supposed to be told. If we want to change some aspects of the storyline….well, there’s always fan-fic for that! So far though, I absolutely love “Castle” all the plots and story-lines make sense even when combining real-life storylines for Beckett’s police work with Castle’s sometimes off-the-wall deductions…it works wonderfully!

• Beans says:

Amen to that

• McGix says:

WORD!
        People who only watch Castle for Caskett’s relationship are obviously not appreciating the greatness of the whole show! It is the best show on TV right now and seriously, Nathan is so funny, and Stana is awesome and everybody fits together so well. Also they have great scripts and awesome murders. IT’S AN AWESOME SHOW! AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME

• Robyn P says:

I TOTALLY agree with you and Kcat10! There is definitely an incredible wisdom in the decision not to pair them up YET. But I agree that if they do keep dragging out the dance (like Bones), it will get tiresome and annoying. But Castle and Beckett need to grow a little further in order to be together. I don’t think those characters are ready themselves. The writing on this show is so amazing, I can’t wait to see where they’re going to take the relationship :)

• Gandalf says:

WORD – couldn’t agree more! I really don’t much care if they get together or not – the show is about so much more than a romantic plot!

• cookie says:

Well said Kcat10! I looke forward to every Monday!! This is a show I can actually sit and watch w/out getting grossed out or sick to my stomach due to violence or being too risk-A! It’s keep you looking forward to the next one, wanting to see what’s gonna happen next! Hoping it remains a show I can continue to look forward to watching!!

• castle fan says:

Well said Kcat10. Just please don’t bring homosexuality into this show too. I beg you.

• marlene says:

agree with Dcat10….best show…you’ll know when its right for the big get together…..

• sarah says:

I totally agree! Well put Kcat10 Best show I’ve seen forever! Haven’t followed a show like I’ve followed Castle since the X-Files was on. I’m really dreading them killing off any of the characters as well! Though it’s a tv show you feel like you know them. That says a lot about the actors and actresses abilities for sure!

• poppie65 says:

I doubly agree!!

• belitanz says:

My sentiments exactly….It’s shallow to think that a show has to ride on whether a couple gets together or not????? What about the other actors, amazing plot lines, great chemistry of the whole crew and funny overall dialogues???? Watch it as a whole not just for two people that might or might not get it on….

• dseg609 says:

I completely agree as well! It is a tremendously well written show and 2 people can most assuredly be together and still have the tensions aspect. Does anyone remember Hart to Hart? What about McMillan and wife? Both shows were well written crime drama, the same thing could certainly be done with Castle. I would hope that the writers don’t do what every other show of this type has done, and that is make the viewers wait 5-6 or even more years to finally get the two together and then boom make it the end of the show. REALLY??? What happens after? Of course there can still be tension! They have to learn to live with one another and make all sorts of compromises, then there is the whole extended family thing going on. Seriously people with great writing, anything goes!
        Please stick to your original plan! Make us all happy!
        Thanks for making such a great show!

• stacvann says:

Dear Mr. Marlowe: prepare to have MY full support.
        Totally agree w/all Kcat10 typed. Well done, Kcat10.
        Watched an episode of Castle w/my 4 yr. old GroovieGranddaughter. Even SHE liked it: “This is a funny show, huh, Groovie?”
        I look forward to all new episodes of Castle. Thank You.

• Marion says:

As with some of the others, I agree wholeheartedly with Kcat10 about your wonderfully written & produced Castle. The only other series show written with the same perfection would be NCIS. These 2 shows keep me on the edge of my seat, not only with anticipation with what’s coming next but with the cast members relationships with each other. I would love to see Castle & Beckett get together & do manage a few words of disgust when someone else vyes for their attention but I also think it’s too early and that your excellent team of writer will know the exact timing when it’s right. But a kiss now & then wouldn’t hurt. In the meantime, the electricity their looks at each other creates is heart-stopping. Thanks for such an exciting show.

• tvfan says:

I agree. I love this show and have no problem waiting.

• Kcat10 says:

To all those writing in such wonderful support for Castle, you rock! Thank you to all of you for your kind words about my post, and to all those who believe in Andrew Marlowe, Nathan Fillion, and everyone involved in bringing us the magic of this amazing show every week! You guys are awesome!

• Sandy says:

Very well said!

• Nanagal says:

I agree! I love the sword play and feel we are ready for a change but not too much. Beckett can loose Josh, be single and have a few dinners after work with Castle and continue to develop their relationship. They could hold hands occationally. Slow and steady is the name of the game.

• Janet Landi says:

Very well said! I am in total agreement with your thoughts! I have loved this show since Day 1, and have been drawn into the characters, their back stories, their relationships, the plots, and sub-plots, so skillfully. That is due to superb writing. And, of course, acting. I love these characters, and have made a long-term commitment to follow them wherever they go! So far, the ride has been outstanding, don’t change a thing!

• Traci Bell says:

I absolutely agree with you, Kcat10! Mr. Marlowe, you have my full support as well! I love the show as it is and when you see fit to bring the two main characters together it will be just as great! I am willing to wait patiently. You really have done a fantastic job!

Keep up the excellant work!
        Traci Bell

• Nick says:

I 100% agree. I just started watching this season and have gone back and watched it from the beginning a few times. And it doesnt make sense to keep them separated any longer. I could understand the whole bones thing for a few season since she is not emotionally there. But Beckett clearly is far more down to earth than bones is.

• melita says:

bones is a great show the ratings are solid and people watch coz emily and david are great actors
      in fact its ratings have increased a lot in these 6 years
      its a huge success and u cant deny that
      castle is also a great show and andrew marlow will play it well i m sure

• Jack says:

Please, the only reason to watch Bones is for the supporting cast – who cares if Booth and Bones ever get together after all this time and bogus plot twists?! And in real life, “David” is a two-timing cheater, not a nice guy.

• Mikos says:

When talking about other relationships, Marlowe said this:
      “That element is relatively played out for us. And our audience has extended us some good will on that front”
      To me that means they ain’t gonna Hannah us.

Although I’m not necessarily dying for Castle & Beckett to become a couple. They already have pretty intense “iknowwhothekilleris” sex all the time. Why mess with a good thing?

• Linda says:

Just when you think Mr. Marlowe has ears that hear us, you hear this self righteous explanation that basically says to me, “I don’t know what is good for me!” Well, Andrew once again you are clueless and so wrong. I know that is it for this show and you will only have yourself to blame!

• co says:

Ready to see some Castle-Beckett action! Sorry about your mother, Castle. (I’m just sayin)

• valerie says:

I’m ready for the relationship to move forward! Why do we need an obstacle to keep them apart? Isn’t the fact that we’ve gone 3 seasons without them being together enough of an obstacle? I mean, let’s make a TINY step forward. A death? Hopefully not in a regular cast member – we don’t need that to move Castle and Beckett together. Love the show – nothing would change that. But give us something happy here, ok????

• JULIE says:

I agree with you here. Its like the show of BONES~ I don’t want to see the show drag on and on until it gets to the point of you not wanting to watch anymore.. I LOVE this show right now and have really gotten involved with it! But please keep it interesting as well but not to the point of boring!

• Logan says:

Hehehe…. I was SO about to call you on your use of the word “tangential”, because I’M something of a wordsmith too… hehehe… Needless to say, Dictionary.com taught me that I’m not as much of a wordsmith as I suspected I was.

• Mark says:

Exactly! Bone was strong enough to not be sunk by those games & the not pursuing a stronger relationship. But it clearly did not help that show, any more than it is going to help Castle. People get tired of those games, and turned off by that aspect when manipulated too long. There are tons of shows that BEGAN with married couples. They not only wrote about their relationship, but wrote stories that had absolutely nothing about that relationship. If we feel we need to keep resorting to gimmicks instead of just good characters and good writing, we are downgrading the quality of what we are doing. Making it seem less real – and definately manipulated. Is that where we want Castle to be going next? Don’t give me the fans don’t want that relationship now! What fans are those? It is the writers who want to play more games and perpetuate what they think is the golden goose of an incomplete story line. If there is no other story line they are able to move onto from there… then the show really would be dead! Lets hope that gimmickry is not a sign of stagnated writers…

• ak.neko says:

Hey, I think that waiting for something good to happen is WAY better than getting it! Just like waiting for an orgasm to come. TEASE IT! Make it go away for a moment and then bring it back. THAT is entertainment :)
      Have you, dear Snazzy O, learned nothing from House and other series that endulge the fans and give them what they think they want? Go all the way and you have nowhere to go afterwards.

• five says:

No, it is not too soon for a heavier romance between Beckette and Castle – It has gone on long enough – Getting a bit stagnet!

• Colleen Rose says:

Don’t like the comparison between Bones and Castle, each are good in their own way, but I’ve stopped watching Bones due to NO movement in any of the relationship lines, (except they’ve all agreed to wait and see)and a non-love of even more fantastical forensics. I’m also starting to loose interest in Castle as his and Beckett’s characters seem to be walking through their parts. If they do get together, the show would flop unless the story lines were more complex. The characters are complex, but they talk their way through leaps of conclusions (instead of action) and we’re left yawning and “how did they get there?” Take advantage of two great actors and use their talents to spice up and smart up the show!

• Leah says:

So agreed. You said it perfectly.
      Bones is a PRIME EXAMPLE OF WHAT NOT TO DO.

• Amanda says:

I think it is a little different because Bones has been running twice as long as Castle. It was really just the last season or so where I felt like Bones was almost ridiculous in it’s attempt to keep Booth an Brennan apart…but it is still a good show with a lot of other great characters.
      I feel like they could still make some advances with Beckett and Castle without necessarily putting them together just yet.

• GetThem2gether says:

Writers: Take a look and learn a lesson from the great show “House”, which I only started watching AFTER he and Cuddy got together. It is a myth that shows flop after the two main characters become an item. It gets to be a drag watching two people who act like their in high school emotionally season after season.

• Laura Voss says:

I agree, poop or get off the pot! Stop having either Castle or Becket get “involved” in stupid relationships. Either have them honestly show interest or stop it already! It would have been better to take longer to have them show interest than to keep teasing us with it. It gets old, you know! This show is beginning to be too formulaic. Let them get together already and find ways to keep it intersting! I am close to blowing this show off, and I’ve loved it since it began.

• Pb says:

Totally agree with this post. Come on kick up the Castle-Beckett romance already!

• Francis Kleiner says:

He is a genius, I love Castle and how yhere is a constent mistery about when they’re gonna get together. But an event like this would end the show. Along with discovering Becket’s mother assassin.

Don’t bitch about this man because if you do,
      Castle will suck and you will feel like a plastic bag :)

• Bridget says:

yes, I would agree Bones has yanked it around a bit much, but I still watch b/c there are other things in that show to keep interest. But I must say that while there is a point in time where enough is enough already, but going to fast with something major like that can kill the show even faster because its like, okay now where do we go from here?? Look at one of my fave shows, House, they FINALLY put the main “couple” together, and it was all too quickly ended!! They hardly gave us the relationship we wanted which is sooo disappointing, but I can understand how you can run out of interesting, new ideas fast. Only a writer having to create and think up new show ideas season after season can understand the difficulty of it, so I say cut um some slack.

• Renee says:

Bridget:

If you’re a writer for a television series and can’t come up with any fresh ideas, it’s time to pass the pen. No, really. Part of being a writer for something like this is being able to come up with something fresh week after week to keep fans coming back. House couldn’t do it-I haven’t really liked the show since the first season, and dropped it altogether after House’s alien personality change when he was shacking up with Cuddy. Bones hasn’t done it. I could go on for days as to why, but it traces back to the same problem House has. They got so wrapped up in the relationships and the will they/won’t they that they dropped what’s most central to the show.

The personality traits that make them real and interesting for us. House’s snark. Booth’s loyalty and open affection. Bones’ ability to take care of herself but still be fiercely loyal to the people around her. I think they could get Castle and Beckett together without ruining what it is about them that we all love-the way Castle constantly gets on her nerves. How Alexis turns to Beckett to fill the mother figure gap. How Castle is constantly ready to rip his hair out at his mother’s antics. And the case. Keep the focus on the case.

There are no limits to the ways and whys people can kill each other. That should give them a fighting fresh start week after week.

• Nazgal says:

SnazzyO, I couldn’t have put it better myself. A large part of what keeps me coming back to the show is the fact that I doubt I will ever settle on one reaction to any episode. The thing that makes me invest in the show so heavily is that any given episode will have me screaming at one or both of the leads to make a move, cursing the writers for dragging it out and/or torturng us, and the cliffhangers on this show are some of the best I’ve seen on television. The writers of ‘Castle’ have a rare ability to make us (the audience) love and hate them all at the same time while never tipping the balance too far in either direction.

• Lynn says:

It is time! Have you ever heard of Hart to Hart and how successful that show was? Let’s go….(and by the way – my husband feels the same way).

• Leon says:

I have simple question for you. Have you met a single fan that doesn’t want them to get together?

Somebody really needs a facebook page for this. I wonder how many of the fans of Castle would sign up to a Castle/Beckett get-together fb page.

• SC Castle Fan says:

Totally agree with SnazzyO, Well said and “check” for me too. Not happy about this giant obstacle and thinks fans are more than ready for the real thing between Beckett and Castle. This has been a favorite show for me (age 56) and also for one of my kids (age 24). I believe that is rather unusual. Fear that Mr. Marlowe is about to blow it for multiple generations. Drat. Drat. Drat.

• carol shanholtz says:

put castle and beckett together,you;ll lose more viewers if not……………

• caroline says:

i am with you snazzyO bones has lost so many people cause they didnt do anything about thier realationship

YES!!!!!!! WE ARE READY FOR A CASKETT RELATIONSHIP!!! WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE HAVE BEEN PESCERING YOU ABOUT IT ALL THIS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Gail Leach says:

I have to agree that enough is enough between Castle and Beckett. Why do writers feel that they can’t have a story were two people are in love? That’s real life isn’t it. Come on now folks get with the program and insist that they don’t end it on a downer for fear of loss of their audience.

• Nancy Blue says:

Hell yes.

• DFranklin says:

I agree with every word. We are ready for a relationship between those two, and waiting for it to happen is truly getting old. and cold. cold case. case closed. No more Castle.

2. Barbie says:

Dear God,

PLEASE let them NOT screw up CASTLE as they did with BONES. Not everything in the show should be about them getting together (or being apart, for that matter). Don’t let that become the focus over the weird cases, silly jokes and friendship. I don’t want to lose another one of my favorite shows to the need to please those fanatic shippers.

Love,

Barbie

• Cy says:

I agree 100%! Their relationship should steadily develop, but that shouldn’t eclipse everything else that makes this show so much fun.

• Jill says:

This is exactly why I have thought for a while that this show would actually be better if the show had started out with them as a couple already. I didn’t watch it from the beginning, but this whole will they/won’t they is exhausting when they already practically seem like they’re a couple, anyway. I really think it would be better off if it had started out with them as a couple and then they could still have all of their silly quirkiness, because frankly, I can’t figure out how the show is going to be any different when they actually do get together, unless that’s the very last episode.
      And I think it would have been way more interesting to watch with them already together some of the cases already with her position on the force with him as a writer — even more comedy, goofiness, but instead it’s just kind of weird, since we have to try to focus on both the case and the status of their relationship. If they were already together, then we could just focus on the case and not worry about the other.

• kt says:

I’m so with you. I stopped watching bones last year cause it just got way to stupid (and for a while in its first 3 seasons it was soooooo good)

• Seon says:

Agree 100%

3. SnazzyO says:

BTW: Thank you SuperScooper for getting the intel. Capt Montgomery has gone from “definitely dead” in my book to only “probably dead”.

4. Anonymous says:

Why do people compare Castle to Bones? It’s really annoying. Just shut up!

• Barbie says:

Anonymous, the show has the same sort of character dynamics, as different as the characters and the premise are. It’s inevitable not to.

• Alicia says:

Thank you! Castle is so much better than Bones the comparison is offensive. If anything, Castle is closer to the Mentalist; same premise of a male consultant helping a female detective.

Anyway, the finale sounds good, I’ll believe the hype–they haven’t let me down yet.

• xav says:

You’re right. Having a female consultant helping a male detective makes Bones VERY different from Castle and The Mentalist.

• Alicia says:

Firstly, that might be how it is in theory, but the entire Jeffersonian team (who work the cases) is Bones’ crew, not Booth’s; so he’s more or less the liaison/consultant. But anyway that’s not the point, Castle and the Mentalist are almost strictly investigative/detective work while Bones mostly solves cases though forensics/lab work. So drawing parallels to Castle solely because Brennan is also a consultant is a stretch. The type and method of crime/mystery-solving is completely different.

• mdb says:

I am so with you Bones & Castle have nothing in common other than one male & one female lead with supporting cast. The chemistry in Castle is fantastic. There is no chemistry in Bones, there was a glimmer once but it is long gone. The Chemistry & depth of the relationship in Castle keeps growing, as it should.

Enough with the superficial comparisons already. Castle is much better written, acted & directed then Bones ever was or will be.

• Castle Fan says:

Amen!!!

• Kathie says:

Ditto! Agree Castle is the best show on TV. Just wish it came on an hour earlier, vice 10 p.m., any night of the week, as that is so late (unless a Friday evening). Thought shows on after 9 p.m. were there due to adult language, etc., unsuitable for children. This show is so entertaining as a mystery and a romantic comedy, even children could watch. The actors are terrific; hate to think anyone is leaving the cast. God bless all involved in the making of this delightful show. Can hardly wait for the next one!

• cleo says:

Even children could watch?!?! Are you serious? With storylines that include prostitution rings, drug smuggling and abuse, gory murder crime scenes and murder, murder, murder? I don’t think Castle is appropriate for everyone. It’s a great show as it is, but, not for children. I can’t agree about that.

• Kathie says:

Actually, yes, even children. I’ve found that children’s shows today and other shows on “their so-called children channels” are so full of indecent things said and done that Castle looks tame.

• dontneedtoknow says:

actually, with all the murders and drugs and stuff, the kids could actually see the consiquences that will be there for them if they do that! and who cares if children watch, i’m 12 and i love castle. i pretty sure i dont want to go to jail for drugs, or murder!

• Casey says:

The reason people compare the two is because Castle has more in common with Bones than with any other show on air. No-one is saying they’re the same, but that is the most direct comparison to make. There are a lot of shows on television, but there arent many similarities with The Good Wife, Brothers and Sisters, Desperate Housewives, Glee, Gossip Girl, The Simpsons, so on, so forth.

“A published fiction author and a cop solve murders together. Their unresolved romantic tension runs as an undercurrent throughout the series. She struggles with the loss of her mother when she was young, while he consistently faces challenges raising his child as a single parent.”

The above paragraph could describe either show. So while the style of the show is different, and they are both in different stages of development (season six to season three), the premise remains similar.

5. Cindy says:

It’s NOT too soon!!!

6. Clo says:

Seriously? After three seasons of the dance, I’m ready for some freakin’ romance, please. I don’t need them in bed together but how about some dating, wooing, romance? The angst is fun in small doses but it gets old. I feel like I’m continuously waiting for the real fun to start.

• KarenY says:

Yes! ROMANCE is what I want to see from these two. It’s time to move it along. Why are shows so scared to go there?

• CindyW. says:

Shows are afraid to go there, because they tend to rely too much on the relationship after a couple gets together. Hart to Hart was a wonderful show and it reminds me of Castle. Hart to Hart’s writers didn’t make the relationship the first priority. The romance was always there, just secondary to the story. I feel like the writers of Castle can do the same with Castle and Beckett. Keep up the good work and don’t make me cry too much over the cliffhanger!!

• Marie G. says:

Well, in Hart to Hart they started off *married* … so a fairly different situation there. I’m perfectly okay with a drawnout slow build to the relationship–given the emotional baggage both characters have it’s believable, and unfortunately since it gets to a certain point it’s likely to end the show. (If all the prior experience holds.) On a side note, I would love to see a bit more done with the secondary characters… not to the extent of cutting B&C out, but strong supporting characters make for a better overall show, IMHO.

• welington says:

culdn’t agree more

• Shelly says:

That’s it exactly. They don’t have to fall into bed but I want to see them on the same page and happy. Their romantic banter would be super. I want the dance.

• cheryl says:

I agree… Romance…they can still have fun and the tension can still be there but.. “the dance” is getting old and repetitious… Let them take it slowly… I am not sure anyone wants to see either of them involved with someone else… just wouldn’t be right, I don’t know. Do love the show though!!!

7. Fabienne says:

Why do I have the impression that he’s talking like Hart Hanson now? “it’s too soon for Brennan and Booth to get together”, and as the matter of fact it’s season6 and we still don’t get BB. Is this going to be like this with Caskett? Becuase if yes… I’m very disappointed then.

8. Crystal says:

Oh, Marlowe. You’ve lost your heart and gained a hart.

9. Garnet_and_Gold47 says:

Of course its not too early! It’s been 3 years. It’s time for them to submit to their love. Beckett has loved Castle since the beginning and Castle has realized his love for Kate during the monumental kiss.

10. Rob says:

How about Marlowe does something only a few shows have ever done before: pitch a successful relationship. I went from being really into Bones to maybe catching up on it every few weeks through my DVR or Hulu. I’m an old browncoat and came to this show because Nathan Fillion was one of my favorite actors, and though I disagree with his stance on the relationship, I disagree more with the ups and downs and the chain yanking that shows often throw into their character relationships. Its tiresome. Why not try something novel?

11. ranger99 says:

For crying out loud – quit jerking us around. The fans are tired of being used. Put them together already, it didn’t hurt CHUCK or FRINGE and being apart has really detracted from BONES!

• nathy says:

That’s kinda true… fringe and chuck lost many fans… but they’re both are the kind of shows that u have to watch EVERY SINGLE WEEK, or u just lost urself… castle, otherwises is a week show… SO PLEASE, it won’t hurt nothing andrew! bring caskett together!!!

• Justin says:

Actually it seriously hurt Chuck…creatively it might still be firing on all cylinders (wouldn’t know, I got bored midway through this season) but when the relationship is all of the show, once they get together the cathartic feeling sticks around for a couple of episodes, and then the shippers depart in droves. Chuck has hit series low after series low in terms of the ratings. Drag out the romance Marlowe. Take your time.

12. nathalia says:

OMFG, of course we’re ready for the next step of caskett relationship! wtf andrew? c’moooooooom!!!

13. Nerwen Aldarion says:

STOP COMPARING CASTLE TO BONES!!!! Seriously, I understand why Bones fans are upset that Booth and Brennan are together, it’s going into the seventh season, it’s time. But Castle is only on it’s THIRD season!!! That’s too soon! Please practice patience for a little while, you’ll thank me later.

• Crystal says:

They probably have one more season of playing around with the romantic dynamic before it becomes impossible NOT to deal with. Or risk becoming stale.

• jejouelaflute says:

right Nerwen!! The will they won’t they/when will they is what is so fun about Castle…I DO however think that the show could survive with them as a couple but not for another season or two at least!

14. rich gitsch says:

Aw, C’mon guys. Too sensitive here? I, for one enjoy the ups and downs of the ride. I have been frustrated at times, but not so badly that I have abandoned the show. After the downs, the ups have been even better.

Mr. Marlow – Keep the ride going!

• Elizabeth says:

This. Times a million.

• Corinne says:

Thank you! I agree. With you. We might not like it that Castle and Beckett aren’t together but I think we would like it less if their story played out too quickly and Castle was canceled. Also, if we attack/bitch out/eat the brains of Andrew Marlowe, there will be no more of our favorite show. So we should all relax, if that’s cool with everyone. They’re going to get together eventually. Patience is a virtue!

• Linda says:

Since when is 3 seasons going on 4 too soon? Geeze are they Amish?

• Corinne says:

Was there a reason this was directed at me? If you actually want my opinion (versus just feeling a need to voice your frustration at fellow fans), here it is. I believe that we should entrust the fates of the characters to the creator of the show–their creator. If Andrew Marlowe thinks there is more storytelling to be had before they shack up, I am inclined to listen. And considering that their physical track record consists of one never-acknowledged kiss, if they suddenly had all this sex, we would miss seeing their relationship develop and it might come off as less about epic love than many of us would prefer– those of us who are patient, anyway. In conclusion, patience is a virtue. Good things come to those who wait. I could continue, and I bet you that I could do it without making any slurs ;)

• Nerwen Aldarion says:

A sane post! Thanks for keeping me from losing my mind!

• Alice says:

I definitely agree. I actually don’t really CARE if these two are together or not. This show isn’t really about their relationship- if you notice, they don’t do a side story about the Castle-Beckett thing every week; sometimes, it’s about Castle’s family or his writing career.

I do think that it’s sort of silly to have one single and the other not and then it switches and then it switches again and then one’s flirting with someone else etc. But, they have room to explore how much they trust each other, or how much they’re willing to give up or risk for the other, even in the context of a friendship. Would they give up their careers? Would Beckett break rules? Would Castle give up writing? I think these questions are just as relevant when they are “just friends/partners” as when they are together.

15. Hank says:

IF THEY PULL A BONES IM GONNA BE LIVID! I LOVE THIS DUO SO MUCH PLEASE DONT CRAP ON THEM LIKE BONES DID!

16. Barbie says:

What’s wrong with you people? Can’t you love a show and NOT ship??? There’s SO MUCH more to CASTLE than the fact that Castle and Beckett might hook up. I want to see more murder, I want to see Castle’s hilarious remarks, I want to see Ryan and Esposito goofing around, I want to see Martha’s crazy ideas. I don’t care if Castle and Beckett hook up, but don’t make the show about IT. It should be the macabre murder and mayhem show FIRST, not some lovey dovey soap.

• V says:

YES!!!!! Seriously…it’s a good show, and it’s well written with great characters. Not everything has to be a love story.

• KarenY says:

Since the creator of the show has basically said that this is a love story from the beginning, I don’t think you can blame the fans for shipping for the main couple.

You’ve got a rabid fan base waiting for the love story to move forward. You can’t expect us not to get be disappointed when it is stalled by more “significant obstacles”

• Renee says:

YES!!! This! What makes this show for me is the lines and Castle, Ryan And Esposito. The way these three guys play off each other and Castle’s relationship with his mom and daughter are the show for me. Couldn’t care less about the will they/won’t they thing.

• Nicole says:

You know, I love this show for so many reasons, and one of them is that I’ve never really felt jerked around. The writing has always been excellent, the ensemble cast has always given just the right amount of levity even in tense situations. I can understand the fear that those dreaded Powers That Be might screw up such a good thing, and I’ve certainly watched entire franchises collapse thanks to poor decisions…but be realistic. Yes, the tension is unbelievable, and yes, Castle and Beckett ABSOLUTELY belong together, but I have never seen a Castle episode that makes me question whether or not this story will be told the right way.

Waiting until next season to resolve their relationship issue is fine. This is one of the few (if not the only) show whose consistent quality shows a dedication to the story. They’ll be together when their story leads them to that place, and not a moment sooner.

• Anna says:

IF the show is so good without romance, what’s the problem with the ship??? A little romance in the background wouldn’t hurt. I tell you waht: these kind of TVshows are successful (or not) thank to the shippers. Writers and execs know that.

17. blackraven says:

Am I the only one that thinks the answers he gave don’t fit the questions he was asked?

That being said, how in the bloody hell is it too soon for them to get together? Does he want to loose fans like ‘Bones’ has?

And, yeah, he may not want people to bitch him out, but it’s still going to happen…that’s what people do when they think somebody’s doing something stupid (and he is).

18. Jessica says:

Can someone remind me of this sniper Hal Lockwood? I can’t recall a sniper…

• rich gitsch says:

He shot Det. Raglan, and almost shot Beckett.

• nathy says:

he is on knockdown… is the guy that beckett discover… i think that he is the one who paid to kill backett’s mother ;)

• Marc says:

The sniper is the guy who shot the police officer in the restaurant who was about to give Beckett new info on her mom’s killer. He also tortured Ryan and Esposito and was arrested by the end of the episode.

• jejouelaflute says:

and Beckett went and talked to him in jail and sort of threatened him…Telling him that there were people he would be in jail with people that had been treated very fairly by her and they would not take kindly to him…one day he would break and be ready to give her more info about her Mom’s killer.

19. Kamillo says:

He should really watch Fringe… the Peter/Olivia romance is great, problematic but at the same time more than just platonic

20. Carly says:

How about we do something really crazy and new like an actual fun, loving, relationship? That I’d be thrilled to watch and Castle and Beckett could be amazing together.

The will they/won’t they has gotten old. Too many shows have done it to death. The writer’s and actors are talented enough to get these to together and make it fun. Why are they so against it?

• KarenY says:

That’s the problem, isn’t it. You can picture how much FUN a Castle / Beckett romance would be. Who wants to wait?

• Louise says:

I agree with this 100%.

Such a novel concept. Showing a HAPPY COUPLE on a TV show. Wow!

• Shelly says:

That’s it. The fun, romantic banter is going to be great. Why torture us by making us wait for it. Bring it on.

• victoria says:

exactly! they dont want to get a relationship because they are scared that no one will watch any more, but what about the shows that drag it out to long???

21. Linderella49 says:

I’d hate to see Castle end up on the “not gonna be watched but I’ll record anyway on my DVR” list, but it’s heading there. Remember Mr. Marlowe, L&O LA and Hawaii 5-0 are also on at 10 PM on Mondays…it’s not as if Castle is the only game in town. I truly love this show – have since its original first mini-season, but screwing around with B&C’s relationship is getting old. Office romances do not take this long to get “real” in real life; don’t insult your audience with this cheap trick to keep viewers interested. We’re sick of it.

22. cyntheav says:

Sounds like an emotional rollercoaster. But exciting.
    Sigh, another loooong summer coming up.

23. Derek64 says:

bitched out, eh?

Dear Mr. Marlowe, just because you mention something beforehand, it won’t prevent us from “bitching” (or as us fans call it, constructive criticism), just so you know. Either it will be well done or it won’t.

24. Katie says:

I am a total Castle and Beckett shipper, but I still would love to see more of Lanie and Esposito and Ryan and Jenny’s relationships. Just sayin’ :D

25. Louise says:

My only concern about this finale is that I’m going to end the season annoyed at the show. I don’t want that.

Everything else I say bring it on, it sounds like its going to be amazing.

While I agree that Castle and Beckett arent necessarily ready for a full on relationship right, they DEFINITELY need to be moved on because there are warning signs of stagnation with their spark. The Dead Pool was the first episode in too long where I felt their connection again. So season4, maybe not full on romance, but definitely stepping towards that, the pair of them knowingly.

Also? You have definitely over-played the Josh angle, Mr. Marlowe, by about 5 episodes (and counting).

26. Jones says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW!

27. Carrie says:

I’m not sure why people are getting so riled up. Castle is in its third season. Also, I think it’s pretty clear on Castle that Beckett and Castle know they have feelings for each other, even if they haven’t said it and I don’t know that I got that sense this early on in Bones. Also, Castle and Beckett have already kissed on the show. Yeah, it was part of a case but we all know there was more to it. I am perfectly happy with the pace Marlowe is moving at and hardly think he’s jerking fans around.

I also agree with the poster that said that Castle is a more lighthearted version of the Mentalist. Male consultant, female partner/cop, two male secondary partners.

28. XK says:

Please just ignore the shippers, and focus on telling a good story with fun characters, which is how Castle has become as popular as it is.

If the story organically leads Castle and Beckett to becoming a couple, I’m all for it. But to sacrifice the story to appease the shippers, (or to go the other way and try to toy with their expectations), is a horrible idea.

29. Jay says:

One word… Huddy.

House’s storylines tanked after the disaster that was House and Cuddy’s relationship.

• nancyeddy says:

That’s because House is too flawed a character to EVER be with anyone else and be happy. He’s the kind of person you’d expect to end it all one day.

30. Amanda says:

I’ll hold judgement until I’ve seen the episode in question. However, the idea of “obstacles” in Castle and Beckett’s relationship sounds a little too much like Bones for my taste. If you feel that Castle and Beckett aren’t ready for a relationship (and I don’t disagree), then let them slowly work up to it. The X-Files did this perfectly for seven seasons. The Mulder/Scully relationship went on in the background, but it still grew. And every once in a while, Chris Carter would give the shippers a little “present” for being patient. There don’t HAVE to be obstacles. It’s just as interesting without them. You get to keep interest and focus on the procedural aspect of the show, and you don’t run the risk of people becoming disenchanted with something that originally seemed so perfect. That said, relationships are also interesting if they’re done right.

I just really need for this show to not make the same mistakes that Bones did.

31. Fen says:

I agree with the previous poster who stated that there is a lot more to this show than just the relationship between Beckett and Castle. I think Marlowe is between a rock and hard place…because there is no way to satisfy everyone here. Although those who want to get them together may have the loudest voices on these types of forums…they do not represent “everyone”. Frankly, I think Chuck lost a lot from Season 2 to Season 3 but not just because they put Chuck and Sarah together. And Bones has just been the same old same old for 7 years. If there were no progress among the characters (both individually AND as couples) we’d all pissed. I stopped watching Bones because of that. Let’s just let the writers do what they do best. Castle is fun, clever, and entertaining. We all love it for a reason…trust them.

32. AJ says:

I agree that keeping them apart is getting old for the audience. The relationship needs to progress and I’d love to see them hook up in some fashion, but they’d need to handle it cleverly because when the male and female lead of a show get together, that often means the show is over.

33. Remi says:

Personally, I feel the relationship is pretty much on track with what goes on in most shows, and it’s not even really a will they/won’t they thing anymore because Marlowe has said they will get there, so we know where we’re all heading and it’s about the journey to get there because if they would get together quick they wouldn’t exactly have the foundation of a relationship that would last more than a couple months. plus, we should all take into account that season one was only 10 episodes long, which, given the fact that it keeps getting full season pick ups, is about 12 episodes farther behind in the story then it normally would be. Let’s just chill, enjoy the ride, and have some fun, because we know it’s gonna happen and I doubt he makes us wait for more than next season :)

34. Jay says:

This.

Some shows are just better as ‘gen’ than with romance. And there are others that just *suck* after the couple finally gets together. (I.E. House or The Nanny)

Not everyone has to be paired up in order to be happy.

35. Shingblu says:

As much as I want Castle and Beckett to get together, I dont want it to happen anytime soon. I love the will they/wont they act in there and it makes it exciting to watch. If they get together soon, somehow u know that its gonna be doomed, as in similar cases in other shows. And I dont want to lose Castle in that way.

36. GuyGG says:

I’m not a shipper who thinks the show needs to rotate around the central relationship. And while the comparisons to Bones are somewhat off, it’s impossible to not cite it as a warning of what not to do. While I’m a fan of Bones, they have utterly, 100% jumped the relationship shark. Castle, a show I absolutely love, is getting darn close. Marlowe needs to finally ignore the stupid old Sam/Diane driven “you can’t let your leads get together” nonsense. Prove it can be done. It is in no way “too soon” to do it. Either finally do it, or just stop bringing up the topic. I’d be fine with either.

• Cassa says:

I’m sorry, did you just ask Marlowe to stop brining up the topic? It looks to me like the fans brought up the topic, and he’s just responding to the plethora of “CASTLE AND BECKETT SHOULD GET TOGETHER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!” comments.

37. Castletasmic says:

OH COMEON! They don’t have to go all the way right way…?? There is still so much that they need to learn about each other and it would be really fun to watch and trust me it WON’T kill the dance between the. I know for SURE that I don’t want another season finale where they both go in separate ways AGAIN!!! If the get together they will NOT lose their fans, YES till this very moment we are waiting for them to get together and after that we will still be excited that what will come next..??!! :D They are so meant to be and every first dance has an ending for it in order to begin a new one, and I think three years for them doing the same dance should be enough. Castle already knows how he feels ” Not about the books anymore ” and Beckett almost said the words ” I want you to know how much I Lo… ” for Gods sake. She responded w/o hesitation ” Always ” she is coming to a point to admit her feelings at least to her self and WE DON’T need another DISTRACTION! I Love and trust this show so much that I’m sure they will make us all proud.

• Dbalcer says:

I don’t watch Bones so I can’t compare the two but I am tired of the same old teasing about when a couple that has chemistry is going to get together. It doesn’t have to be boring because they are a couple. Plenty of shows have worked with couples getting together.

38. Kelly says:

How can Andrew Marlowe tell us that this couple is meant to be together in interviews and then be upset when we’re frustrated because he keeps them apart?

We’re headed into season four. The obstacle phase has gotten old. It’s time to incorporate the romance.

• Shelly says:

Exactly. I keep reading how they’re meant to be together. How Beckett is Castle’s missing piece. Well then let’s move to the next stage and have some real fun.

39. HalfShipper says:

As long as TPTB can create good obstacles (instead of just saying ‘I can’t’), I’ll stay.with show. Great writing is so rare these days…

40. Debbie says:

Wow, everyone needs to calm down and realise Castle in only just ending Season 3 (which really should only be classed as two and a half seasons) Castle and Beckett aren’t there yet, shippers. But they’re getting there. Enjoy the ride!

As someone commented I’m just glad the significant other experiment has been ditched (or will soon be).

Other than that, Mr. Marlowe, I can’t wait to see what you and your writing team dish out for us to make the summer seem like a lifetime to have to wait.

41. Emma says:

I hope they get Castle a girlfriend. Beckett is annoying. Castle deservs so much more. So glad they are holding off. Smart move.

• Annie says:

Yeah, get Castle a girlfriend, because that worked so well with Gina… What is wrong with you? He is totally smitten with Beckett, why would he get a girlfriend? I think if they want to put up obstacles, they need to find something else. Even AM agrees that they’ve exhausted the whole Gina/Josh thing. I want C&B together, but I’m willing to wait as long as the obstacles don’t involve any more pointless relationships that are going nowhere.

• Castletasmic says:

WoooooW…. Are you sure that you are watching Castle #ABC on Mondays at 10PM…???!!!

42. fishy says:

Oh please…it is really getting annoying already. I mean I don’t mind waiting but at this point is just looks like they are playing around with the audience! Get it on already. The show has a great deal of aspects besides the castle/beckett relationship so lets move on…

43. dftwinkie says:

I’ve watched both Bones and Castle from the start, so I can see why there’s so much comparison. But, while I haven’t loved the SO roadblocks, and hope we’ve seen the last of Other People getting in the way (really, Castle and Beckett get in their own way just fine), I wouldn’t say Marlowe has jerked the fans around. There are no take-backs on Castle, no dreams or brain tumours or any of that cr*p. Even the fakeout kiss had an element that was very real, and while they haven’t talked about it, so much about their relationship has changed since, right down to body language. Just look how much of a couple they seemed when Beckett was trying to pour her coffee after pulling her gun on Fallon in Countdown, and actually let Castle do it for her because her hands were shaking too much.

However, I do agree that a little less focus on the ship would be nice. Maybe next year TPTB should try just letting things evolve through the actors’ subtext, without either pushing or blocking, and trust that it will become obvious when it’s time for the Real Thing to happen. And then, network willing, just bloody let it happen.

Bones took too long and killed the UST and everyone’s patience. Huddy was never going to work because House never grew human enough to understand love. Caskett doesn’t have Huddy’s inbuilt impossibility, and as long as they don’t enter Season 7 still unrequited, I think Castle is actually advancing at a reasonable pace so far, considering they really are at only 2.5 seasons, since the first one was so short.

• shan says:

I completely agree!!! The progress and growth of their relationship, I would say, has been relatively realistic. It’s only been 2.5 seasons. With the murder of Beckett’s mentor coming up and answers to her mother’s murder close to being uncovered, emotionally raw is a spot on description. I wouldn’t want her vulnerability to be the motivating factor to be with Castle, only to regret it later on, claiming it was a moment of weakness. Castle has been such a gentleman in handling extreme and emotional situations, I’m curious to see how he will handle all of this. Can’t wait! Personally, Castle & Beckett’s oozing chemistry is enough to keep me waiting anyway! Can’t wait for the next 3 episodes!!

44. E says:

I don’t think they need to get together yet. There is so much going on in their lives, and they both have had other relationships so they have not been viewed as lonely people.

As for Bones, I used to be a big fan. However, the show just became about B & B not getting together and this season, for me anyway, just took all of the chemistry away from them. I don’t care if they now become a couple, but the show is only about that.

So, please don’t let Castle become a Bones and only focusing on keeping them apart. I would be happy with B & B at least happy with other people, than this constant effort of keeping them apart and single. Castle’s portrayal of their characters is more realistic.
    Just make the finale exciting. It has been a great season for Castle and I look forward to many more.

45. SnazzyO says:

Here’s the source of my irritation:
    – Marlow PLAYS UP the relationship. He puts in the relationship moments. He created this as a ‘ship.
    – Now Marlow says “just be patient”, as if somehow he’s innocent of creating the storyline up to this point.

If Marlow wanted to go 5 seasons before getting them together, he needed to back-off after S2 a bit (when he knew he had a good chance of keeping the show going) and take a longer view. S3 has had these HUGE jealousy, “Always”, near-death moments. That’s not people reading into characters and creating more of a ‘ship than is there. That’s Marlowe fueling the ship and now trying to play the “slowdown” card.

He’s trying to have his cake and eat it too. And this is why the Bones analogy is spot-on. They pulled the same thing.

Castle is a good show without the ship. Marlowe crated the demand for the ‘ship to progress and acts put-upon when the fans complain.

Don’t bite the hand that feeds you Mr Marlowe.

Plan out a 7 year show. Be grateful if you get that. Plot out a relationship that takes place in about the 5th year — and be a decent enough writer to keep things sizzling after that. Don’t stretch the story beyond 7 years — it’ll get stale (based on the premise). This is NOT an ensemble show like an ER or Friends that can go on much longer.

46. prish says:

I hate cliffhangers. I, almost, want to skip the episode until the series returns.

47. Andrea says:

I agree, they aren’t ready for a full on relationship right now. Just as long as season four sees them making steps in that direction, I’m happy.

Thank you for realising the Gina/Josh debacle didn’t work, Mr. Marlowe, and please, ignore the idiot ‘fans’ who are going to bitch about the finale no matter what you do.

48. Kate says:

Thanks for sharing this interview. I’ve LOVED this show from the beginning, and am so happy to see it get much deserved attention in many places. Being someone who watches ratings, I know that there have been some very touch and go moments for this show in the past. (Not anymore- it’s pretty strong now.) For that reason, I’m just so relieved that we still have it, and I see each episode as a gift.

While I don’t need them to be “together” right now, I am hoping that the relationships with other people are in the past. That card has been played and it’s time to move on. I don’t remember seeing two actors with more chemistry than Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic, and I’m sure the writers recognize this. I’m going to trust them to tell their story. I really feel like they know what they’re doing. That said, I’m sure after the finale we’ll have plenty to talk about (or bitch about…) but I guess that’s part of the fun! I can’t wait!

• Melissa says:

Castle is one of the very few really great shows on TV…whether or not they get together will not change that. I do agree that for the sake of the ratings and longevity, it is probably best NOT to have them get together. This is the first time I have ever bothered to write anything about a show, that’s how great it is!

49. nancyeddy says:

There is not HONEST way to keep them apart… I watched JAG for ten years and at the end, all of the reasons the writers gave to keep Harm and Mac apart caused me to not WANT them together at the end. It killed the ship for me.

• Annie says:

Don’t remind me of JAG. I shipped those guys for nine years and they brought them together… in the series finale! What an epic fail.

• joanie says:

Why was it a fail, the show was ending, had they not gotten together I would have been upset! I like happy endings!

50. Marie says:

“But I do recognize that they have to move to a different level in their relationship and there has to be a significant obstacle to them getting together”

That’s the comment that I really don’t like. Mr. Marlowe, you’ve taken them too far, too well, to ‘obstacle’ them now – I’m assuming this is your plan for them for Season 4?

Slow down now is a fan-jerk. Move them on HONESTLY. Not roadblock them ‘honestly’.

• Christopher says:

I agree. Castle and Bones are two of my favorite shows. However, I constantly hear how they’re trying to “keep the show real.” by keeping the main characters from having any real relationship. Baloney. How many real people would go on this long with such obvious attraction and not move forward in some way. It’s like they’re adults in most areas of their lives but 13 years old emotionally when it comes to relationships. How real is that? Even people in relationships can have tension, misunderstandings, and difficulties that can be as interesting as the tension of NOT getting them together. If the writers are as talanted as they seem there is no reason they couldn’t play on all the difficulties of a real relationship to keep the tension fun and real. If I had a friend that danced around the obvious as much or as long as Castle/Beckett or Booth/Bones do I’d have to say they were big time emotionally immature. It’s fun for a while but after it drags on and on and on and on and on you have to say NO adults would really act this way. I can forgive Castle right now because it’s only a few seasons in. However, it’s right on the edge of starting to be annoying.

• Bill says:

Very well put, Christopher. That’s, essentially, what I wrote in my comment. In real life those two WOULD be together by now. It’s only because this is a TV show that they’re not.

• joanie says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

• Snuffleupagus says:

Christopher hit the nail on the head folks. With all due respect to the opinions of those who either never want Castle & Beckett to get together or they want it to happen many years from now.

What does it say about the writers thay they cannot imagine how they will continue to keep their audience engaged and interested once the will they/won’t they aspect of the show is no longer available to them?

I will close by saying the cliffhanger will have to do with Castle being shot during the last 10 mins. or so of the finale. Beckett will of course reveal to Castle how she truly feels but since he’s in a medically induced coma!–doh!

The death of a cast member..the possibilities here are interesting. It’s either going to be Capt. Montgomery, Ryan or Esposito. One of the three will be killed during the raid on a suspect. It will be during an intense shootout that Castle will be shot as well.

The second possibility for a death will be Gina at the hand of the 3X Killer. Beckett will get the suspect during some sort of shootout. Castle won’t get injured, neither will any of the other cast but just when we think all is fine and dandy…Gina is found murdered at the hand of 3XK! dun-dun-dun.

My 2 cents.