ABC Axes All My Children and One Life to Live

And then there were four.

ABC is confirming what has been rumored for weeks: All My Children and One Life to Live will end their storied runs in September 2011 and January 2012, respectively.

The twin cancellations will leave just four soaps on the air — Days of Our Lives on NBC, General Hospital on ABC, and The Young & The Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS.

AMC and OLTL — which have been around for a combined 83 years — will be replaced by a pair of generic-sounding (and cheaper to produce) talk/lifestyle shows, the food-themed The Chew and the makeover-centric The Revolution.

Contain your excitement.

“While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can’t help but recognize how bittersweet the change is,” said ABC Daytime president Brian Frons. “We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days. They are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on ‘real life’ takeaways.

All My Children and One Life to Live are iconic pieces of television that have made an indelible mark on our culture’s history,” Frons continued. “Each of the shows has touched millions and millions of viewers and informed the social consciousness. It has been a privilege to work with the extraordinary teams who brought the residents of Pine Valley and Llanview to life each day, and we thank the cast, crew, producers and most especially the fans for their commitment to the shows through their history.”

Ratings for daytime soaps have been on a steady decline for the past two decades as viewing patterns shifted and audiences migrated to talk shows. In the past 10 years alone, the industry saw the cancellation of As the World Turns, Guiding Light, Port Charles and Passions.

In a statement, suds queen Susan Lucci — who has played the iconic Erica Kane since AMC‘s inception in 1970 — said, “It’s been a fantastic journey. I’ve loved playing Erica and working with [AMC creator] Agnes Nixon and all the incredible people involved with All My Children. I’m looking forward to all kinds of new and exciting opportunities.”

Okay soap fans, post those eulogies in the comments section.

1. Elaine says:

To AMC & OLTL, I have been watching since 1974. They have become a part of my everyday life. If I miss my soaps, I watch at night of soap network. I am VERY SAD that u r taking away one of the best parts of my day. ABC u will lose me as a viewer. OMG that is what we have food network for. U r making a BIG mistake. I hope that AMC & OLTL return soooooooooooooooooon………….

2. Laura says:

WHAT A VERY SAD DAY… VERY BIG MISTAKE… I WILL NOT WATCH DAYTIME ANYMORE… What do we need more cooking and talk shows for? America is fat enough… AMC and OLTL are my favorite…

3. Beth says:

I started at the age of 15 watching the soaps. Like so many other women those few hours that I watched the soaps took me away from my everyday problems of my life. I have so enjoyed watching Erika and all her drama and Viki’s alter egos and the happenings in Llanview, Pa.
    When I couldn’t watch the soaps I caught them on Soap Net and then when DVR’s became available I DVR’d the shows when I knew I’d be missing them.
    I am not interested in any more Reality or talk shows. I will not be watching the new programs that are coming out to replace the soaps.
    So you can bet that your viewing ratings will drop even more with these reality shows. I will also bet there will be a decline in the products advertised during these reality shows.
    Bring back the soaps and keep your viewers happy!!

4. Pearl says:

ABC wake up…I have been watching All my children and One life to live with my mother..It sickens me that you are taking 2 great shows of the air to put on food shows and health shows that I turn off now.

I will let you know for sure….You will lose me as a viewer…I stopped watching all the other reality crap you put on now..

I guess I will start watching Days of our lives and The Young and restless.

Good bye ABC…enjoy your own trash….

5. Michelle says:

Well all I can say is that I have watched ABC for 20 years. I love these shows. And now that this happened I will never turn ABC on again. You will not ever get ratings from me. I will just keep the TV shut off and have more family time :)

6. teeshook says:

It’s funny the sentence below post a comment is “Talk smart about TV”! How can I do that when I think the dumbest thing I ever heard of is happening. How do you take shows off that people have been watching forever. Moms, daughters, grandmothers, sisters, have all shared and become closer at times watching AMC, OLTL and GH. I agree with a lot of the aforementioned comments, especially we do not need more food shows, more revolutionary shows, how is this reality TV….lets fight obesity in the world but put on a FOOD show….I dont get it, can someone explain the logic to me! I will miss AMC and OLTL so much, its going to be like withdrawal, they were stress releasers for me when I came home from work. All I can do is shake my head, ABC what are you thinking.

7. zoey says:

I have watched AMC and OLTL on and off for years. It is very sad to see these shows being canceled. I have seen commercials for the “chew” and it appears to be another crappy food show. The group of homely misfits on the commercials actually make me want to puke.

I hope that everyone that watched and supported ABC decides to boycott and make this horrible show go off the air. What unatractive people they have lined up as hosts. I will not watch that crap.

8. Shine says:

These soaps have literally been apart of my life since their inception. My mother watched ABC soaps and I grew up wathcing them. After my mom died in 2002 continueing to keep up with ABC soaps has been one of my ways to still feel connected to my mom. The ending of All My Children this week is really sad for me…it almost feels like I’m in mourning. May God Bless the cast and their families.

9. Bobbie says:

PLEASE BRING ALL MY CHILDREN & ONE LIFE TO LIVE BACK. We don’t want a food show or a talk show. A lot of us look forward to seeing these shows every day. We would take them 7 days a week if we could no one wants to say good by to them.

10. Linda says:

TURN YOUR TELEVISIONS OFF DURING THE TIME “ALL MY CHILDREN” IS ON AFTER THEY TAKE IT OFF THIS WEEK. IF EVERYONE WOULD DO THIS AND
    THEY SEE NO ONE IS GOING TO WATCH THEIR STUPID COOKING SHOWS MAYBE
    WE CAN GET OUR SHOW BACK.

11. Star Spillman says:

First of all I can believe their taking AMC and OLTL of the air. AMC, OLTL, GH and Oprah are the only reason I watch ABC. The Chew should be on The Food Network channel and reality tv sucks. Why cant the Soap Opera channel cant pick the shows up? They are the soap opera “network” after all. My heart aches due to the loss of AMC & OLTL. I pray that something can be done to save the shows.

12. Rose says:

I am so sad that AMC & OLTL are being canceled. I have been watching both since the start. I plan my day around the 2 hour block. Its my ME time. I feel like my whole life is about to change and not for the better. I pay for satalite TV just to watch AMC & OLTL I will not be watching the chew or the other show. I will be giving up my satalite TV. I am still grieving the cancellation of Guiding Light and now will loose AMC & OLTL.

13. cathy Nathan says:

I think you are making the biggest mistake you ever made. Because know one wants another
    talk show or court television show. CBS have been apart of my life and others,who in the television network are looking out for the CBS viewers. I really think television have gotten out of hands the soaps made CBS want they are today without the soaps your rating will go down. CBS have know good show on that would even equal the soaps. There is nothing on CBS that would make me and other stay tune. People talk about wight but the keep putting on cooking shows, I give the chew one season.

14. Laurie Derybowski says:

I have been watching both AMC and OLTL since the beginning when my now deceased mother got me hooked. She’s make me stay inside while my siblings and neighborhood kids were out playing on the rare occasions she had to go out. I enjoyed watching them with her after I figured out the story-lines. I am very, very saddened that they are being cancelled. There are enough “talk” shows on that all of us Soap Poppers (as my children called them when they were young) fans are going to miss tremendously! Please reconsider!!!!

15. Heather says:

I hate the idea of losing both of my Soaps… They were the only two shows I watched everyday since I was a kid. I pay extra to have ABC just to watch my shows BUT I WON’T ANYMORE… I hate to say it but after the Cancellation of my shows I will FORBID ABC in home.. I think this is A BIG HUGE MISTAKE for daytime TV… :(

16. Carmen Toole says:

i want to say that i think it would be a huge mistake to take off all my children or one life to live they are two of the best soaps on the network along with the young and the restless if you put on these so called eating and makeover shows i promise you abc will forver lose my veiwings because i am not even remotely interested in any of those shows so save your time and money and keep on what people want to watch the soaps. if you go ahead with this decision i think you will be greatly disappointed because the next thing we will be hearing is how those shows ratings stink and they are going to be cancelled as well so please think before you do this thank you

17. cathy says:

I cant believe abc is doing this, I grew up watching these shows and love them. I well not watch abc after these show are gone you have nothing else I wish to see. boo to you

18. Jill Chamberlin says:

I find it so sad they are removing AMC. I dvr it everyday and have not missed an episode in over 5 years. I do not believe them when they say ratings are down. I think its their cheap way of getting rid of another quality show and replace it with yet another food show that some will watch, they will follow the recipes from it and become another obese american. I for one do not need or want anther food or talk show coming into my living room! So if you think your ratings will be going up by doing this, when it comes to me I wont be one that helps your ratings increase.

19. Lisa Shaw says:

I have to admit that I am sad to see two of my favorite daytime shows, since their inception, being taken off the air. I guess that our generation just doesn’t count for anything anymore. As they say, out with the old and in with the new (even if the new isn’t an improvement). I will miss both AMC and OLTL, as will my mother and a lot of other people I know. :’-(

20. Darcy says:

I too am very disappointed. I love OLTL. I have watched OLTL & GH for sometime and OLTL is my favorite soap. I will not watch the new shows. I am not interested in watching all of the same “new” garbage that’s taking over. It will be interesting to see how their ratings will drop once these shows are gone. Darcy

21. BERNA says:

I WILL NO LONGER BE WATCHING ABC. WHEN THEY CAN CONTROL WHAT PEOPLE LIKE AND JUST PULL THE PLUG ON SHOWS, AND ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE OUT OF WORK. HOW CAN THEY SLEEP AT NIGHT. I HAVE CABLE I CAN WATCH I DONT NEED ABC. IM DONE . THE CHEW CAN CHEW ITS WAY OUT OF A JOB . LIKE ALL MY CHILDREN AND OLTL PEOPLE HAD TO DO. WITH ALL THE COMENTS , I DONT SEE HOW THEY HAD A BAD RATING. SOMEONE JUST WANTED A FATER POCKET BOOK. PAYOFF MAN. I HOPE IT WAS WORTH MAKING ALL THOSE PEOPLE LOOSE THERE JOBS . THANK GOD FOR CABLE. HUIH

22. dawne says:

I will never watch abc again.You need to keep the soaps.If you take them away than you will go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. marina says:

This is totaly abuse on All My Children viewers. After 41 years ( started watching the very first day ) I was 15 years old, I am extremely upset and saddend that it’s all about the $ instead of thinking about the loyal viewers. I consider the cast a daily part of my family since the topics were at times so close to me. To the stars that have passed away and all the still awesome actors, I thank you for coming into my home daily. Hope to see all of you some other time ( web ). To ABC..even though I like watching food networks, I WILL be banning the 1-3 o’clock times.

24. TaShane says:

I am done with ABC. I will watch the end of AMC and OLTL and I will keep watching GH but that is it. Maybe veiwership is down… but I watch my daily soaps on soapnet and abc.com. Some people DVR them. So it only appears veiwership is down.
    I believe, wholeheartedly, that this should have been something where more thought was put in. There is NO more ABC for me except for soaps, I am done. Disney in my house might be pulling a close 2nd for my doneness.
    I just don’t see why ABC/Disney feels this overwhelming need to conform. I am tired of the crap they are about to put on TV. What happened to acting, its all being replaced with reality nonsense.
    I have been watching ABC soaps since I was 6… for 29 years. I watched with my grandmother and its just a little piece of history ABC has taken away. I hope their replacement shows bomb!

25. Cash23 says:

I think it Is sad that the shows are going off the air. You think of all the people that watch it for years. I wonder now what are all the older people going to watch. This had been in there daily schedule for years. Now you want them to wAtch a food show and exercise show I think not! I hope abc will see what they are doing and bring those two show back some type of way. At least if they don’t wAnt to out them on abc let the soap net work pick em up! I hope I’m not the only one that feels this way somebody please say or do something!

26. Lisa says:

I have watched All My Children and One Life To Live since I was a teenager. It is very sad to see these shows come to an end. I am not a fan of reality or talk shows. I will not be watching whatever
    you replace in their timeslot!

27. Amanda says:

Im so upset that they canceled All My Children!!! I balled my eyes out watching the finale :( it makes me so mad

28. shelba says:

I have watched All my children and One live to live for 40 years, Nothing will ever take its place, I will never watch ABC day time TV again….. I’m done. If i wanted to watch a cooking show, I would watch the food Ch like i already do.

29. Jennifer says:

I have been watching these two soaps since I was a little girl. I PVR them everyday so that I can watch them at night. One soap is already gone. Now what? I know for sure that I will not be replacing my soaps with anything from ABC. As far as I am concerned, they are done!! AMC and OLTL…..I will miss you dearly!

30. evelyn says:

This sucks I love these showd and grew up watching them I don’t think abc is trying to give viewed what they want I think there just bring cheap. I’m discusted

31. Christy says:

I to have watched these sops for years I was like 12 and now 33 and now you are going totake it off the air who cares about cooking and talk shows we have enough of them as it is and if we want to learn anything we can just google it or watch the news once again a company doing whats best for them and not taking the people into concideration ……

32. TWILA says:

I AM A MOTHER OF 3 CHILDREN 28 YEARS YOUNG I AM ALWAYS ON THE GO GO GO GO AND SO BUSY AROUND THE HOUSE MY CHILDREN ARE 5 7 AND 8 AND THE ONLY TIME I WILL SAT DOWN TO WATCH TV IS FOR ALL MY CHILDREN THIS HAS TORN MY HEART OUT OF MY CHEST PLEASE BRANG THIS BACK ON PLEASE IF NOT YOU TV CHANNEL WILL BE NOTHING NO MORE WHY DONT YOU GO AHEAD AND TAKE YOU CHANNEL OFF ALSO BECAUSE IT IS NOT WORTH NOTHING ANYMORE THE NEW SHOW SUCKS BUTT ALL MY CHILDREN IS THE BEST THING EVER SO I HOPE THAT MR BRIANS FAMILY GIVES HIM HELL ABOUT THIS AND MAYBE HE WILL RECONSIDER THIS AND BRANG ALL MY CHILDREN BACK

33. sharon harwell says:

Just want to say I dislike the View intensley and do not
    want to watch a show called the Chew!! Don’t we have enough
    cooking shows already? Good grief!!

34. Logan says:

will not be watching abc ever again after they take off one life to live…

35. netta says:

i cant believe the network is canceling OLTL i been watching it for like 20 yrs to put another stupid talk show on ur making a big mistake its not worth it we fans are very disappointed

36. maggi says:

You said best i. Dot eveb need to post anything…. just coppy and past this again. The one thing my mother and I had our whole life is being able to sit on days off and watch our friends”acm/oltl. I grew up with a lot of these characters…. its like seeing a friend Die!!

37. shona says:

I am so sad that OLTL and AMC are going away. I guess in January 2012 I will have to find a life. No joke. From 12-2, m-f has always been “me time” with my soaps. I mean, its the ONLY tv I watch. AT night the husband watches football and ESPN. Kids watch cartoons.. These Soaps were the only escape, besides books, that I have.
    Im really sad to see them go. I hope ABC realizes the big mistake and loss of massive amounts of viewers when they axe these shows, hopefully they bring them back.

38. sam deni says:

sir can you show us “TITANIC MOVIE ON SAT MAX IN HINDI IT’S MY REQUEST IWASNT TO SEE ON 4 OCTOBER 2011 YOU HAVE NOT SHOWN THIS MOVIE FROM MANY YEARS SO PLEASE SHOW THIS MOVIE ON SAT MAX.

39. sam deni says:

I WANT TO SEE TITANIC MOVIE ON SAT MAX IN HINDI IT’S MY REQUEST

40. Melly says:

I for one am glad to see these Soaps go and I hope the remaining few will follow suit. They are trashy tv full of sex, lies and backstabbing. They should not be on during the day at all! I remember as a little girl my babysitter watching these shows. I learned all about sex and rape and was exposed to to many adult situations. As I am sure many other children have been as well. As an adult I watched a few and the story lines are repetitive and it is just who is sleeping with who.

Of course I doubt that what they are putting on will be of much better quality but still…

For those of you that don’t know what you will do with your lives now, why don’t you pick up a good book? Or if reading isn’t your thing try a subscription to Netflix.

41. krista patton says:

So sad to see AMC gone as with all the soaps that have been taken off the air. Will not be watching replacement shows.

42. Frances says:

I think it pretty much sux that they cancelled AMC n cancelling OLTL to put these corny shows they looking for more rating i wonder how your ratings are doing now. I’m sure they doing terribly I hope this new and wack show “THE CHEW” gets cut off soon everyone i know refuses to watch it….

43. vanessa says:

I cant believe they are taking shows off that have been on for years!!! I stopped watching cbs when they took guiding light and as the world turns off. Guess its time to quit watching abc now that both od these shows are being taking off. This just bite big time!!

44. John says:

I agree with alot of what people have been saying, it’s so true reality shows are BOARING soooo! BOARING! with out a dout, they make lots of money for doing and acting STUPED! cook shows there are So many of them on the food channels so if want to learn to cook or learn anything new about cooking I will just go there. And I find talk show such a waist of time to just sit and listion to other people talk about other people, if I want to talk or hear gossip just look around, at work. at school. Shopping anywhere standing in line, at home at the dinner table, gossip could be heard anywhere on the streets so why must I sit in my livingroom or bedroom and see it on my TV. That is from a man’s view, I’ve been watching Soaps for over 40 years when they were Black & White that’s how far back I go with Soaps. I LOVE ACTION something to capture my attention and talk shows and reality shows just is going to do it for me! So if you want me and so many others who think and feel me to watch your network (ABC/Disney) you have got to think this over because you WILL lose lots of viewers and they will Band your network and I being one of them after tuning in for over 40 years Plus! So keep in mind GREED will get you NO! where! Because what go’s around comes around you could lose EVERYTHING! So keep what you have and make lots of People Happy! Don’t cancel Soaps! They are good entreatment! You will lose lots of respect from lots of viewers, so keep the peace and keep the Soaps it will be a good thing for everyone even you.

45. Katherine Tobar says:

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS!!!!! EVERYBODYS LIVES ARE ALREADY HARD ENOUGH! ONE TIME OUT OF THE DAY FOR AN HOUR WE GET TO ESCAPE AND WATCH SOMEBODY ELSE’S PROBLEMS AND NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT OURS AND ABC IS TAKING IT AWAY!!! THIS IS JUST NOT RIGHT!!! WHO WANTS TO WATCH THOSE STUPID TALK SHOWS ANYWAYS!!!! ABC YOU WILL LOSE FANS AND TONS OF THEM INCLUDING ME IF YALL TAKE ONE LIFE TO LIVE OF THE AIR I WILL NEVER WATCH ANOTHER EPISODE ON YALLS STATION AGAIN!!!!

46. hayley says:

One life to live should not go off air, and even if it does go online, Canadian viewers wont be able to watch it. My mother and grandmother have been watching it since it aired, and i my self have been watching it religiously since i was 11 years old and now 25, and yes my mom still tapes it everyday and so do I.
    PLEASE DONT TAKE ONE LIFE TO LIVE OFF THE AIR

47. Alfreda Simmons says:

this is going be horrible i watch OLTL everyday since I was 2mths pregnant with my oldest son and I love that soap and now you are going to take that soap from me I feel like I’m getting violated of my soaps thats the only time i’m at peace.I will sadly miss you all AND GOOD LUCK ON THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. Cyn Ward says:

This is sad, and I am feeling a bit like viewers my age 40+ are the most discarded group on TV. Good shows, not always very deep, often very silly, but with a warm, crazy, family history. They did lead the charge in social change for many women.

The lead actors are our age and we saw ourselves in them. The actors and the story lines did a good job of reflecting back how we saw ourselves in a swiftly changing world.

It reminds me of Boston Legal, another show, cancelled, that had a aging population of actors.

49. john says:

i loved watching oltl it was my fav i hate tht they r taking it off th air but i wish them all the best n doin wht needs to b done thnx for all the shows guys.

50. anna memrick says:

Big mistake to take off the GOOD soaps…leave sorry ones like Bold and Beautiful and Young and Restless. The writing on One Life to Live has more substance and doesn’t use wore out phrases and plots. Way better quality and better stores and actors. I have watched these three soaps since I was a teen and now that I am older they are way better than FOOD shows. America has too many Big people in it…What will Baby Boomers watch now since we are the biggest part of the population…guess we will go back to books…I know I am…you are attracting the wrong age group when it comes to TV period.