ABC Axes All My Children and One Life to Live

And then there were four.

ABC is confirming what has been rumored for weeks: All My Children and One Life to Live will end their storied runs in September 2011 and January 2012, respectively.

The twin cancellations will leave just four soaps on the air — Days of Our Lives on NBC, General Hospital on ABC, and The Young & The Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS.

AMC and OLTL — which have been around for a combined 83 years — will be replaced by a pair of generic-sounding (and cheaper to produce) talk/lifestyle shows, the food-themed The Chew and the makeover-centric The Revolution.

Contain your excitement.

“While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can’t help but recognize how bittersweet the change is,” said ABC Daytime president Brian Frons. “We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days. They are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on ‘real life’ takeaways.

All My Children and One Life to Live are iconic pieces of television that have made an indelible mark on our culture’s history,” Frons continued. “Each of the shows has touched millions and millions of viewers and informed the social consciousness. It has been a privilege to work with the extraordinary teams who brought the residents of Pine Valley and Llanview to life each day, and we thank the cast, crew, producers and most especially the fans for their commitment to the shows through their history.”

Ratings for daytime soaps have been on a steady decline for the past two decades as viewing patterns shifted and audiences migrated to talk shows. In the past 10 years alone, the industry saw the cancellation of As the World Turns, Guiding Light, Port Charles and Passions.

In a statement, suds queen Susan Lucci — who has played the iconic Erica Kane since AMC‘s inception in 1970 — said, “It’s been a fantastic journey. I’ve loved playing Erica and working with [AMC creator] Agnes Nixon and all the incredible people involved with All My Children. I’m looking forward to all kinds of new and exciting opportunities.”

Okay soap fans, post those eulogies in the comments section.

1. Susan Nelson says:

I cant believe that they are canceling both shows they are very informative on the topics of our society. Just to put on shows that will not help people. I have been watching these show for years. I will not tune into ABC no more if they cancel these shows. Im sure there will be a lot of others that will do the same. Now you will be losing your ratings. Bad move ABC.

• SOAP! says:

I have read all over about sending soap to abc…sounds good – another show a few years ago sent peanuts to CBS and save the show for another year….here is the address

ABC Daytime
      320 West 66th Street
      New York, NY 10023

2. AndyLuvr says:

Couldn’t FailBC Daytime come up with a better title than “The Chew?” Might as well call this food show something like “Spit and/or Swallow.”

3. SlyFoxDude says:

“CHEAPER” is the only word needed to justify ABC’s decision.
    This is an industry trend used by all of the players, ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX.

4. Jody P says:

How dare they take off my soaps!!! I have been watching both soaps for 33 yrs. I dvr them. You are taking away a BIG part of my life, I will never ever watch ABC again

5. Cathy says:

If anyone hears of another network that will pick up these shows be sure and post it. Around this area I have heard that people record the show to watch it later. I have watched some talk shows and they just don’t do anything for me, so the channel is turned. The only good thing I think I could say is I do feel watching TV is a waste of time, so now I have another reason not to turn it on, but I have been a fan of AMC since 73 and will miss watching it.

6. barbara says:

Cheaper….So thats why ABC is dumping the shows that have lasted through generations. Oh I see, but I am sure their executives aren’t cutting their salaries.

I don’t think they really realize what they are doing! But then again the TV that I knew is definitely NOT the TV I see now and many will agree with me. If I see one more Reality or talk show I am going to scream. That is what is CHEAP!!!!

7. Fred V says:

What does this bode for any kind of creativity in television anymore (or for aspiring writers out there, since soaps – among other genres – have been a nice paycheck for some of them) when scripted television really seems so expendable?

8. debbie meadows says:

Are you people insane???? Soaps have been a stable of t.v. as long as I can rememberThe time between 12 and 2 oclock are my time—–All My Children and One Life to Live,both of which I’ve watched since the beginning.I am sure you will loose many viewers such as myself who will turn to movie channels.You are all so WRONG!!!!! I hope you all loose your jobs.I don’t watch realityh t.v. ,cooking shows, or talk shows. You have just lost an avid abc viewer.

9. Michelle says:

I am devastated about the cancelling of these shows. I have been watching ABC soaps for 30 years. In elementary school I ran home to watch, in HS I bought a VCR to tape them, in college I arranged my classes around them, when I went to work I taped them every day and watched them at night instead of primetime programming. After having kids I made nap time at 2pm so I could watch OLTL. Because I watched ABC soaps, I also watched ABC other programming throughout the day. What the execs don’t understand is that NO ONE will go out of their way to watch some stupid reality show the way they do with soaps. There is a loyalty and passion among soap fans that you will not see anywhere else. Listen up ABC, I am your prime demographic. I’m a 39 year old stay at home mom. When my soaps are gone, I will either switch to another soap or watch nothing. I will also not watch ABC at other times of the day. After hearing this news yesterday, for the first time this morning I did not put on GMA, but instead I watched Today Show. Goodbye ABC, its been a great 30 years but I’m through with you.

10. Melissa says:

Please don’t take General Hospital away from us!

11. AMCOLTLGHFAN says:

Great – now we can have more “who’s your baby daddy” and “I slept with my sister’s husband” talk shows. Move over, Erica – make room for Maury and his ilk.

12. Nancy says:

Eliminate GH and keep OLTL on!Please tho – NO MORE CAMERON MATHEISON or the actress who plays Greenlee!! WE are TIRED of seeing them! And please stop pushing Bianca’s preference on us – tired of that too!

13. Nancy says:

There will be NOTHING to watch on tv anymore – soaps give us an excape from what we need to deal with daily! The only other thing on now is informercials, reruns, religious, and shows about teeny boppers……………….I DO like Gunsmoke tho! Doc Oz is a great show, but looks like the outlook is very dim.

14. Dot says:

I only turn my tv on in the daytime when AMC and OLTL come on. When they’re gone I WONT HAVE TO WATCH ANY COMMERCIALS AT ALL , as my tv won’t be on !!!

15. Shannon says:

Help fight for the soaps…even if you are not a fan of either but enjoy gh or another networks soap, help us fight to save oltl and amc, if nobody will then eventually there will be no more soaps and all that will be left to watch is reality tv. Please fight to save these soaps!

Ways you can help:

Call 1-818-460-7477 to let ABC know how you feel about ONE LIFE TO LIVE and All My Children being cancelled. Spread the word and let’s fight to keep this era alive! Even if you are not a fan and are a performer or writer, this is your fight too! OLTL x663 / AMC x255

16. lifelong watcher says:

IS THIS A STUNT FOR ATTENTION? if not then a cruel joke? I can’t watch those two soaps today without crying.

17. Vinny says:

ABC is wrong for taking ALL MY CHILDREN off I have been watching it for over 31 years and never missed one day.
    ABC is not looking for people over the age of 49 years old to watch that channel WELL some day everyone will be over 49 with luck.
    I know for me I will not ever put ABC on after ALL MY CHILDREN go’s off.

18. December says:

i grew up watching all 3 of these shows (AMC, OLTL, GH) with my mom :( she’s watched them her entire life. Throwing good tv out the window..

19. Carol Burns says:

Wow! What’s next to go? Medicare? Social Security? Elderly people love the “Soaps” They help keep them alert and “something” to look forward to, daily. Reality shows and food shows are NOT lasting. Money talks! Sad Day!

20. wallpaperjane says:

I am saddened to hear that AMC and OLTL are being cancelled. I have watched them for years and do not care for talk shows. There are already enough cooking shows on TV to watch, so I guess my relationship with ABC will come to an end this year when these shows come to an end. RIP old friends.

21. MissJess says:

I grew up watching all the ABC soaps, but haven’t tuned in to AMC or OLTL in years. I do, however, still DVR GH everyday. I can’t imagine it disappearing, so I definitely feel for the AMC/OLTL fans.

22. ROBERT PRESAR says:

‎18,000 comments on FB about the cancellations. ABC is so wrong to put so many people out of work. I’m not some flooky nut or anything, but I’m so distressed over this. I’ve watched the people, literally, all my life, I’m 46. Cut the production values, cut the salaries, cut something, but don’t put these 2000+ people out of work and eliminate this incredibly rich playground for nuturing new talent. Julianne Moore came out of soaps, so did Alec Baldwin. Are we really doomed to some loser banging baking pans together as the new “better” entertainment? Isn’t it better that we all get to eat a little something than just some and not others. Shame on Disney, Shame on ABC. Great lesson for children Disney. Selfish, short sighted and greedy. Shame.

23. Pat says:

I will never watch ABC again. i am 60 years old, my husband 64. we both watch and love the shows. hate talk shows. we are very sad about it. i am disable and can not do to much except watch soaps.

24. Missey Sprinklese says:

No me gusta. I will stop watching ABC all together now.

25. Manda says:

I really hope another station picks up the shows. The replacement shows sound stupid.

26. Marla says:

Now that ABC has cancelled two soaps AMC and OLTL maybe since you have a cable network called the soapnet that it should pick up all the daytime show and keep the going as new episodes. Maybe people will still watch the soap on that cable network…. I know I haven’t watched AMC for years but I did watch it at one point along time ago. I never even watch OLTL… Sorry to see that the soap opera shows are dying out…..

27. louise says:

I am so sad that they are taking off some of the best daytime programing. I watch it everyday or at least tape it and watch it later. We do not need another talk show, we do not need another cooking show, we do not need another reality show. the soaps were different, you could escape from your everyday life, and with everything going on in the world sometimes you need it. you guys are crazy for getting rid of the soaps when people do watch them and you have 300 different channels with cooking shows, reality shows and talk shows already on them. Why add more into the mix, be different,
    stand up for yourselves. Brian I can’t wait until they come to you and say they need your office for someone or something else. I hope your family does not go hungry because you are out of a job but remember what comes around goes around. Hope you can sleep at night.

28. Kim says:

One Life To Live is the BEST show ever. My heart is broken!!! Now I will NOT watch anything during that time slot so ABC lost another viewer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Joanne P says:

ABC who? After AMC and OLTO are cancelled – that crappy network is “cancelled” in my home – hate my local ABC affiliate anyway -

30. Pat Lafferty, Savannah, G says:

OMG. I am totally devastated! I record these two shows daily so that I can watch them when I get home. I have grown up with Susan Lucci and watched All My Children from day one. Even when my husband was serving 26 years in the Army and we would be overseas, my parents would record these two shows and send them to me. What is worse, I cannot believe what you are placing them with. These two shows have brought me so very much joy and happiness. I laugh with them, cry with them… what are you people thinking. I am 69 years old and you have broken my heart. Thanks ABC!

31. Sylvia Koehnlein says:

How DARE they cut AMC!! I have been watching this show for over 30 years!…from the time my daughter was an infant! Quite frankly, the new show they’re planning sounds like a piece of crap! I will NOT be watching! After this move is proven to be a hugh failure (which I’m sure ratings will prove), I hope the idiot who made this decision, gets the axe! I, for one, will be boycotting ABC daytime, after AMC’s last episode!!!! Wonder how many of my ‘AMC watching friends’ have heard of this! Any of you other viewers willing to join a boycott?????

32. Tanya says:

NOOO! Don’t do it! I have been watching AMC & OLTL all my life. I can’t imagine life without them … I don’t want to imagine life without them … it’s too sad. We have enough talk shows, reality TV, and as far as cooking shows and home improvement shows … uh, “borrring”. I PRAY you reconsider :(

33. Kristen says:

Does ABC really have to pull this number? Cancelling AMC & OLTL that’s just mean! So what if they are more expensive to put on tv than stupid talk shows. There’s enough talk shows on tv already. We don’t need any more. What we need is for All My Children, & One Life To Live to stay on tv. These 2 soaps along with General Hospital teach people that watch these shows different things. I mean does ABC really want to take these 2 teachers away from us just because of MONEY????

34. Y&R Always..... says:

Turn to CBS and watch Young & Restless. I’ve watched it since 1973 and it’s viewership is always at the top of the list. It’s like reading a good book that never ends (hopefully)! A show needs viewership and the days are long past where women sit at home, bake cookies, raise children, and watch soaps. Keeping fingers crossed that Y&R will hang around for a long time to come. Sorry to those who are losing their soap.

35. Desiree says:

Ah well, so I won’t need to shell out money for my DVR anymore. I’ll just cancel cable and stick with netflicks… and maybe just watch the old episodes on youtube. I’ve only kept my DVR for these shows anyway. It’s sad, the shows were sort of that time to escape reality, but perhaps I just don’t need TV anymore anyway.

36. Pamela Rust says:

I am very saddened by the loss of All my Children ! My husband and I watch everyday! Like we need another talk show or cooking show ! This is just another attempt to block anything interesting for the older viewing people first take away our health care then our social security and now our TV. You can be assured my tv won’t be turned on but to only watch fox news from here out!!!

• Y&R Always says:

Fox News should keep you entertained!!! FAIR & BALANCED…LOL..a great comedy channel!!! Enjoy the comedians as they are hilarious :-)

37. Heather says:

I stopped watching talk shows a long time ago except for Ellen because she is unique. Forget The View, Oprah, Regis, etc. and especially forget the new talk show that will replace All My Children. And if I want to watch a cooking show, I will go to the Food Network. So, ABC, make one of the biggest mistakes a network can make – cancel shows that have loyal fans and get ready to lose a lot of money on the new programming. I won’t be watching.

38. diamondneko says:

I just wanna cry. My mom passed away in 2009 and these shows are one of the best memories I have of us sharing quality time. How could they do this? So what the ratings went down. Of course a lot of us women are part of the working class. What they do not realise is although we cannot watch in the afternoon we are still loyal viewers. I myself dvr the soaps so I can watch when I return home. Do they not realize this. Abc u are fools….. this cannot happen it just cant

39. mr.manning says:

Brian Frons you and your friends must be high. this is not the job for you. there WILL be a HUGE boycott and ABC will tank. I’m almost looking foward to seeing the look on your faces when you realize how stupid an error you have made. in short i hate you and so does the rest of the soap community. I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU OLTL. and AMC we dont know eachother to well but i am sorry for you as well lmao omg im losin my mind now..o.okay rants over

40. Lynn says:

Brian Frons has been trying to kill soaps for years. He doesn’t have respect for the fans. What he has done to the core story/families of General Hospital is terrible. He made actors and their families move and lied that the shows were not going to be canceled. What makes him think that these “new” shows will be a success? I’m tired of shows telling me how I should eat and take care of everything! I’ve stopped watching most of ABC shows – guess this will take care of the rest.

41. Jeroline Williams says:

I am a retired worker who has watch all my children and one life to
    live and also general hospital ever since they began. for meny years I have looked forward to these shows comming on in the afternoon. I like my self and meny other rely on these shows comming on and hate when they are interruped for any reason. Please don’t take these shows off . ABC should be ashame! is it really about the ratings. Can we at least have a say or a poll?

42. Kathy says:

I have been watching AMC since day one, and my daughter and granddaughter watch it also. I am heartbroken that you would cancel a show that is so dear to so many. I hate talk shows! I feel like I am losing family. Please reconsider this stupid move. If you have to, cut the show back to a half hour instead of canceling it. Over the years you have cancelled some of my favorite shows, but this is too much. If you cancel the show, I am not going to ever watch your channel again. I am sure there are others who will do the same.

43. claudette says:

Iam Soooo disappointed. Iam a 31 year old woman and I watch those to shows DAILY!! What the hell are ya’ll thinking and u replacing 2 good soaps for some damn Reality T.V!!!! Are u serious right now?? During the soaps I’m glad there is no reality shows on during that time. I can’t them cause ANYBODY can get a show now a days—-even just for being stupid!! Just when OLTL starts to talk about issues in the world that kids deal with on a day to day basis (bulling). I think you all should rethink this decision. You all will lose a lot of visitors… Ya’ll stupid and I like so many are HIGHLY PISSED!!!!!

44. Brandie says:

ABC made a huge mistake. I am a stay at home mom and like others daytime television is my relax time after chores are done and kids are taken care of. I love OLTL and GH. My heart is breaking. If these two shows are being cancled, it won’t be long before GH follows :( ABC will definitely lose more viewers than gain them, myself included!!!

45. alice says:

NONONOO Please don’t cancel AMC and OLTL. I’ve watched these shows since their beginnings. I DO NOT want to watch another stupid reality show or talk show. There’s too many of them now!

46. Devan says:

WE DON’T NEED ANY OTHER FOOD SHOWS! DON’T TAKE OUR SOAPS AWAY! IF THEY THINK THE RATINGS ARE DOWN NOW THEY WILL REALLY BE DOWN BC MILLIONS OF VIEWERS WILL NEVER WATCH ABC AGAIN. THEY SHOULD REALLY RECONSIDER.

47. Sandy, Ontario Canada says:

I am so disappointed in ABC cancelling this show. I have watched this show since I was 15 and thanked God for VCRs and now PVRs. I can’t abide all these nut bar talk shows and “self help” shows. Give me a break that’s not entertainment.
    Come on guys, I don’t have long until retirement and I really thought I be watching Tad, Erica, JR etc at a regular time everyday. I can tell you I won’t be watching whatever is replacing this show. Take a lesson from Coronation Street boys!

48. toni wilson says:

Have been watching soaps off and on since the early ’70s. I used to tape them and watch them in the evening. A respite after a long hard day. As they dwindled away, I worried for the ones that were left. Many times I wouldn’t watch them in the day, but catch them on soapnet in the evening or the weekend marathons. There are still viewers out there, ABC, just maybe not at the 1 and 2 pm time slots. As I sit here and mourn the end of an era, I realize that my ABC tv watching has been limited to those two shows they are cancelling. Anything I watch at night is on Fox or CBS. So I guess this is goodbye, ABC and all your advertisers. And the overpriced Disney franchise won’t be seeing the likes of me and my family again.

49. ANNIE THIEL says:

I WAS CONSIDERING QUITTING TO WATCH ALL MY CHILDREN AFTER JOHN CALLAHAN HAD DEPARTURED. I REALLY MISS HIM SO MUCH. BUT NOW I’M STILL VERY MUCH A FAN OF SUSAN LUCCI AND JILL LARSON. I’M A HUGE ALICA MINSHEW’S FAN. I LOVE KENDALL SAME THING WITH MICHALE E. KNIGHT AND WALT WILLEY. NOT ONLY JOHN CALLAHAN I ALSO REALLY MISS JAMES KIBERD AND AMELIA HEINLE AND LIZ VASSEY. I WISH THEY WOULD COME BACK. I WISED THAT LIZA NEVER CAME BACK. I’M NOT A FAN OF JAMIE LUAR. I’M HAPPY TO SEE JOEY BACK BETTER KNOWN AS JAKE MARTIN. IT HAS BEEN YEARS SINCE I’VE SEEN JOEY. I’M NOT CRAZY ABOUT CARA. I LOVE ER BROTHER GRIFFIN.

50. ANNIE THIEL says:

I REALLY DO MISS AIDAN TURNER AS AIDEN DEVINE. I MISS COLIN EGGSFEILDSON AS JOSH AND TERRI IVANS AS SIMONE. SHE ALWAYS MADE ME LAUGH.