ABC Axes All My Children and One Life to Live

And then there were four.

ABC is confirming what has been rumored for weeks: All My Children and One Life to Live will end their storied runs in September 2011 and January 2012, respectively.

The twin cancellations will leave just four soaps on the air — Days of Our Lives on NBC, General Hospital on ABC, and The Young & The Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS.

AMC and OLTL — which have been around for a combined 83 years — will be replaced by a pair of generic-sounding (and cheaper to produce) talk/lifestyle shows, the food-themed The Chew and the makeover-centric The Revolution.

Contain your excitement.

“While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can’t help but recognize how bittersweet the change is,” said ABC Daytime president Brian Frons. “We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days. They are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on ‘real life’ takeaways.

All My Children and One Life to Live are iconic pieces of television that have made an indelible mark on our culture’s history,” Frons continued. “Each of the shows has touched millions and millions of viewers and informed the social consciousness. It has been a privilege to work with the extraordinary teams who brought the residents of Pine Valley and Llanview to life each day, and we thank the cast, crew, producers and most especially the fans for their commitment to the shows through their history.”

Ratings for daytime soaps have been on a steady decline for the past two decades as viewing patterns shifted and audiences migrated to talk shows. In the past 10 years alone, the industry saw the cancellation of As the World Turns, Guiding Light, Port Charles and Passions.

In a statement, suds queen Susan Lucci — who has played the iconic Erica Kane since AMC‘s inception in 1970 — said, “It’s been a fantastic journey. I’ve loved playing Erica and working with [AMC creator] Agnes Nixon and all the incredible people involved with All My Children. I’m looking forward to all kinds of new and exciting opportunities.”

Okay soap fans, post those eulogies in the comments section.

1. tonemarie says:

This is ridiculous! They have the viewership and the advertisers and they are making money!
    For those of us that are able to watch or TIVO, this is terrible! There are too many talk/reality shows. It is nice to watch something that is so far from reality that you can escape and appreciate your own “normal”. Generations have watched these soaps and generations more would continue. I will not be watching ABC daytime … I could see cancelling AMC because it really has changed over the years but not OLTL!

2. A.Murphy says:

Please Do Not cancel my favorite soap operas ,as a fan of channel 7 soaps for years I am making a promise, if you cancel these shows I will boycott all programs on channel 7 as well as their sponsors and the replacement shows too. A fan of the View I will not longer continue to watch it as well HERE SOMETHING TO CANCEL BRIAN FRONS CONTACT

3. Donna says:

I cannot believe that they would replace two soaps with talk/reality shows. Don’t we have enough trash talk on tv – Jersey Shore, Maury, etc. and other talk shows? Unbelievably stupid move!

4. Dawn says:

WOW this rlly sucks ive been watching all my children & OL2L practically all my life and this is rlly horrible who wants to watch reality shows and food shows all day! SO BORING!!! PLZ re think this decision that was made obviously u were HIGH! PLZ COME BACK DOWN TO EARTH Brian and make all the fans of all my children and OL2L happy…… im gonna pray 4 u god bless

Sincerely, Dawn

5. Lou says:

This is terrible. I have being watching the AMC and OLTL for 30 years and this so disappointing. I very unhappy about this and I will never watch ABC anymore. That was my only reason for watching ABC. I am going to tell all my friends what they have done and I hope they wills support ment. They are replacing it with more talk shows…I think talk shows are boring and it so many of them. ABC was origional because you could always set the TV and watch a soap opera and relax now if they think Iam going to watch another talk show they are crazy…not going to happen. with

6. mike says:

The new shows sound like total crap, just called my local ABC station to tell them I will boycott their programs because they killed my One Life to Live.

7. Lou says:

I am outraged…I think we need to take this to the supreme court and then notify the WHITE HOUSE. Maybe we can get Help from President Obama in pushing this thru.

8. Debbie says:

I guess with out One Life to Live and All My Children. I will be doing other things don’t like reality shows or talk shows. I am at work at these times and have been taping for years.(I like what they do on these shows show kids about bulling maybe the kids that watch these shows will learn something) BAD MOVE ON WHO EVER MAKES THESE DECISIONS

• D says:

Can’t live without One life to Live! Just so much crying here in my house LITTERALY. Sexy Rexy will missed by my daughter and I will just miss everyone just can’t handle this. think I will have to go into rehab can’t go Cold Turkey
      NOOOOOO YOU JUST CAN’T DO THIS TO ME TAKE OFF GENERAL HOSPITAL
      I CAN’T BREATHHHHH TALK SHOWS AND REALITY SUCKS WILL NOT BE WATCH THAT CRAP

9. C. Venero says:

Reading all the comments about how AMC was like a family member, should make the decision-makers realize that these type of shows are way more “relatable” than the so-called reality shows. We are attached to these soaps not because they are realistic, but because they have become part of our shared history and consciousness. I have watched All My Children since college (I went to Stanford University–and yes we also all got together to watch this and though we made jokes about it we greatly looked forward to this time in our day). After college I still watched the soap on and off and now, as a busy, always-running-all-over-the-place Mom, it has become an important part of my “me time”–sometimes the only time all day that I get to really slow down and do something completely relaxing (A note about “trash TV”…I am not the type to “veg out” in front of the TV. I watch very little of it and also do a great deal of reading. I think there a great many “smart” people watching soaps, whether they admit to it or not. On the other hand, I have a hard time watching talk-shows and certain reality shows. While the soaps may suffer from a certain lack of originality–which is not necessarily bad; it’s their predictability that can be so soothing–some talk-shows and reality show are downright “soul-deadening”. The latter is what I consider “trash TV”). It goes without saying that I think cancelling All My Children is a bad decision. Personally, I can’t think of any other show that could fill the gap left by this one.

10. Ashley says:

Honestly this is ridiculous! There is more then enough talk shows out there.. And the new ones are not getting very good ratings so I believe it is very selfish on abc to get rid of two soaps that touch on every scenario out there, bullying, same sex marriage, teen pregnancy and so much more. I have enjoyed watching One Life To Live lately and showing the impact of bullying on teenagers and everything they have to deal with! I love that the shows take risk’s and getting rid of them is sad. I wish all the actress luck but also hope abc changes their mind for the better! We really do not need more day time talk shows!

11. joemtl says:

Brian Frons will go down in history as the man single-handedly responsible for murdering the daytime soap. The inherent problem here is that corporate greed has erased any sense of moral responsibility to the viewers and their likes/dislikes. They transformed SoapNet into something totally unrecongizable and now they’ve canned two of the most loved soaps on daytime television. I don’t agree that these cheaper replacements will garner any more viewers than the soaps they replace, the sad fact is that the television landscape in North America has changed and “reality tv” if you wanna call that crap “reality” has taken over tv land. To those who would know soaps, they were groundbreaking, socially responsible and entertaining programs that told a story and integrated important social issues of the day into their very fabric. They were well-written pieces of fiction that many viewers grew up with and identified with throughout their young adult and later adult lives. I realize that corporations are in business to make money, but I find nowadays that too many organizations are more concerned with their shareholders and don’t really care about their product or customers, the big TV Networks being no different. RIP AMC and OLTL, you will be forever missed.

12. Rosemarie says:

”To lose these shows is truly like losing beloved family members that brought so much joy over the last four decades…lots of tears and laughter, too.”

I couldn’t agree more with Kate.When I read the news today,I literally started crying.Like millions of others,I grew up watching ABC soaps-some of my very first memories are of sitting in my grandparents’ living room and watching them;I later watched them with my mom.Even though I haven’t watched the shows in about 5 years,it’s still pains me to think they are being canceled,especially for those two ”lifestyle” shows that sound so generic and boring.How could two of the longest-running shows in television history be pushed aside just like that? I hope against hope that by some miracle AMC and OLTL will somehow remain on the air.Not matter what,I will always keep them in my heart and thank God for the wonderful actors who gave life to the characters and storylines that became a part of my life.God bless them,and God bless Agnes Nixon for creating them.

13. Angry Bird says:

WTF. Why are they cancelling all the soap operas? Why aren’t people watching them anymore? We don’t need another talkshow.
    We want our soap operas back!

14. Wendi, East Texas says:

My 78 year old grandmother is heartbroken over this decision. She can’t get around very well anymore and is almost blind. Watching TV is most of her entertainment. She’s been an avid fan of both these soaps since they started. She’s very upset over this, but to quote her, “At least I still have General Hospital.”

15. Maria & Laura says:

This is totally totally sickening/sad/disappointing. The soap characters are great actors and its a true shame that they are going to lose their jobs, dont we have enough people out of work?! Been watching for 40 years and my daughter for 20 years. There were so many great story lines, it taught a lot of people about the troubles in the world and you did feel like you grew up with the cast, like you were part of the family! I was fortunate enough to meet many of the characters at one of the Disney meet and greets years ago, so sad to see them go! We hope they do reconsider and do the right thing, i think we have enough talk shows, what would people do without soaps?! :(

16. linda says:

i haven’t watched a soap opera in about 20 years, but i’ve got to say i would rather they be on than two more stupid talk shows and un-reality shows. i am so sick of the time wasted on tv with the likes of these trashy reality shows – real housewives my butt! just rerun old movies or something. i have no idea who half the people with talk shows are, the stuff is either nonsense or they use scare tactics to get ratings; and the reality shows find all these misfits and bad examples and glorify their bad behavior. more channels, more trash.

17. DJ says:

this is a joint letter from me and my mother who are both very upset over the cancelation of AMC…you got it wrong ABC!!!! no one wants another talk show or cooking show, thats why we have 100s of channel to pick from, but we chose to watch ABC, to enjoy an hour of tv in the afternoon!!
    its nice to get away from war, politics,and natural disasters…
    you think no one is watching these shows..maybe we tape them, maybe we watch them online, but we ARE watching!!!
    just look at the outrage on this page!!!..
    think maybe you should reconsider this decision or you stand to lose even more viewers!!!!
    you got it sooooooo wrong!!!

18. tonya says:

I HATE THIS VERY MUCH IM TIRED OF TALK SHOWS AND GAME SHOWS TAKING OVER OUR SOAPS, THE SOAPS IS WHAT KEEPING US HOUSE WIFES GOING .ATLEAST WE HAD SOMETHING TO WATCH AND CHILL OUT WITH IM 49,I HAVE BEEN WATCH CHANNAL 9 SINCE I WAS A KID ,PUT THAT STUFF ON ANOTHER CHANNAL,, GET REAL THE CHEW,,, PLEASE ..

19. TONYA says:

if you want to take one off take bold and the beautiful that show suxs

20. BizeeB says:

This is ridiculous. We can watch the generic talk/food shows on Bravo, HGTV, The Food Network or E! These soaps have been a staple for many viewers and it allows for a departure from your own hectic and chaotic life. Its nice to watch people with crazier problems than your own. BORING ABC. The View is annoying enough. I don’t plan on watching your daytime programming at all so I hope your advertising dollars are enough to pay for this uninteresting and unoriginal programming decision.

21. Lori says:

ABC should have fired Brian Frons and kept AMC & OLTL. This decision was beyond stupid and it will backfire. ABC is going to lose devoted fans, and they deserve to. I hope when the new shows tank– and they will– Brian Frons and Anne Sweeney also get dumped.

22. Carolyn says:

It really is sad. Soaps are a simple luxury that regular people can look forward to. As a stay at home mom I NEED this small break from reality in my day. We are inundated with tragic headlines and every day chaos. Let us have our hour or two with our fantasy “families” if it helps us get through another day of folding clothes. Reading is the only practical solution but it’s hard to read while I’m washing dishes! I will miss you AMC.

23. Barbara Walters says:

You are making a very big mistake, how much talk or reality shows can people take, the soaps are like coming home to family. I have no reason to tune into your network any longer. I will not watch any of your dumb talk shows, it is black screen. Let see how the sponers buy that. Supid, Supid.

24. 3dhouseofmagic says:

Put any of these shows on at night and people will tune in!!

HORRIBLE decisions by ABC. Reality will not get better ratings in daytime: its DAYTIME. What TV industry needs to do is realize that the rating/share way of measuring programming (i.e: advertising buys, which is what it is all about) is outdated and that people are DVR’ing shows AMC and OLTL, no matter what time it is on.

Shedding many tears…

25. Larry says:

Here’s the reality. The Broadcast networks no longer care about daytime ratings. It’s not a high priority as primetime. They can make more money putting on a cheaply produced talk/lifestyle show then keeping a scripted show with actors. So this isn’t a creative decision -it’s a business one. There is no loyality to the long-term fans and that is what everyone is upset about. ABC knows that they will never get the audience shares they once held when soaps ran supreme on daytime. So they are cutting those audiences out -and willing to start fresh with something cheap. At this rate, all the networks are just waiting for one of their own to go totally soapless. The genre will be dead within five years I predict. I don’t like it as much as anyone but I would hazard to guess that NBC will cancel DOOL when I believe their contract is up. GH will be gone soon after that. And Young and the Restless will be the lone soap standing. It’s a slap to the face to all fans -but broadcast television is dying and they all know it. They are just trying to stay as long as they can afloat. When NBC decided to put on the Jay Leno Show on primetime -that was the clear signal that they can no longer compete with other forms of entertainment. And they wonder why audiences aren’t watching their networks anymore. I for one am tired of talk/lifestyle/reality shows -but it’s cheap and unfortunately people will tune in because there just isn’t anything else on.

26. Shirley Renkert says:

I’m very sad about this, all I can say is good luck with those talk shows, that won’t have a very good rating, I know I won’t be watching anything on your network at all, once they go off the air, our relationhip is gone.I’ve watched both shows from the beginning, and it is like losing a family. My heart goes out to the actors, that have done such an amazing job. I think of the people you are putting out of work, talented performers like that need support, from their fans.

27. Tania says:

So all the New York produced soaps have been canceled (yes, AMC did move to LA, but its origin began in NYC). Now, the soaps that remain are in the west coast. Something stinks here. Hey, I stopped watching soaps in 1980, but I do have many friends who still watch AMC, OLTL, etc., and they are devastated.

28. patt dragert says:

I’ve read all the blogs and did not see one comment tha was commending this action. The ABC officials stated in their announcement today that this decision was made because the ABC viewers were wanting more informational self help tv. Again, I
    didn’t see one “hurray” comment for ABC.

29. marlyy says:

Abc. Is making a huge mistake. The viewers they have now will be gone. I just cant get into watching talk shows esp all day. Why not cancel some of the evening crap that isnt worth watching at all and save on budgets that way. 2 of the longest running shows abc has ever had will be gone what a shame.

30. Elena says:

I grew up with my mom watching the CBS soaps and even though I haven’t watched in years, I made sure to watch the very last episode of “Guiding Light” and “As The World Turns.” I was very sentimental watching them because it made me think of my mom who passed away a few years earlier.

Soaps are an American institution. It’s sad. I’d much rather watch them than another reality show. Enough!

31. Jenny says:

It is horrible what has happened. The sad part is that there are many fans of these shows that don’t get counted in ratings because we can’t watch it every day and DVR ratings only count if you watch it the same day you record it. I catch up on the weekend. But the writing was on the wall when it was announced Soapnet was going to become a kid channel. ABC/Disney wanted to get out of the market. These two new shows are the type that work as weekly hour specials on Bravo.

While it are the executives killing these soaps, the actual shows have to take some responsibility as well for the end of the genre. They keep rotating the same hack writers around that use the same story lines they have used on five other shows. The genre didn’t try to modernize.

32. Coley cole says:

I can not believe this news!!!!! I am so upset I have been a fan of AMC and OLTL since the early 80’s.. I have NO NEED to watch ABC anymore!!!!! Move the soap’s to a new network channel, your fans will follow!! “The Chew” sounds like a pile of pooow:)

33. Donna says:

I am in my sixties and started watching these two shows from day one. I have been a little disappointed with All My Children over the years, but One Life to Live going off is a REAL DISAPPOINTMENT!!! ABC needs to reconsider taking these shows off. There are enough talk and reality shows now and to put more on is ridiculous! The soaps keep you coming back everyday because of the suspense of what will happen next. I will not be tuning in to ABC Daytime once the soaps are taken off. Plus, how many actors are going to be put out of work! Sure will miss these soaps since I have been watching over 40 years!

34. Heather Duran says:

This truly does suck! Do they think everyone wants to watch crappy talk shows or reality shows. Gues what …. WE DON’T!!!! I want my OLTL back!!!!!

35. amb says:

I am beyond disgusted with this announcement. The idea of adding even more talk shows is stupid. Yes, they may be cheaper, but the will not bring the loyalty or the viewership of ‘true’ daytime fans. I have read two things people are going to do to try to save the shows. Longshots, but its worth a try.

1)Oprah. She has a new network and is looking for programing. She too grew up with AMC. Maybe she could give it a new home and see what she can do.

2) Others are not going to even bother with ABC, b/c Frons has already made up his mind and will not change it. So they are going to write down all of the sponsors for these shows and contact them.

36. Link says:

I am very upset. I still record OLTL every day and my viewership is NEVER counted. I quit AMC years ago because of the poor storylines and letting go Julia Barr and Cady McLain. OLTL should stay!!!!!!!!!

I will no longer watch ABC except for supporting GH and The View. Any reality crap will NOT be supported.

37. lisaalexa02 says:

ABC you are making one hell of a mistake. I have been watching these show’s since I was in my mom’s womb!! I love AMC & OLTL. I watch them everyday religiously!! My 8 year old daughter is hooked on OLTL. I don’t understand why you would kill such good Daytime drama that gives us something excited to look forwad to watching!! We too like to dream and fantasize. Thanks for taking all of that away now. I will definately not watch the shows you are replacing them with, in fact, I will be boycotting your network as much as possible and letting everyone else know what a Big Mistake your making by trying to get more money. Money isn’t everything. Sometimes you need to have a sense of enjoyment, thanks for killing ours.

Your loyal daytime junkies. We were loyal, but not you!!

38. Gina says:

I think this is sad and a huge mistake. People have been watching these soaps for years. I think we have enough talk shows, enough reality shows and enough cooking shows. People watch these soaps to escape reality for a short time. I can’t imagine what they are going to put in their places but I know I won’t be watching.

39. Olivia Bowers says:

Iam very disappointed about the cancelation of One Life to Live.I think it’s a bad choice.They said their making room for other shows.What more “Reality”shows.Please! Iam sooooooo sick of those stupid shows.What happenend to good family T.V.They took that away, Now they want to take to our good daytime T.V. away so they can put more crappy shows on.We pay for T.V. why can’t we choose what we want to watch.When does our opinon count!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. Fe says:

I have watched the shows since I was a young girl. I will miss All my children & One life to live.

41. Kate says:

ABC wanted to end the soaps era and they did.

I won’t be watching the new shows. There are too many talk and reality show on TV already.

42. Bobby says:

Today’s episode of One Life To Live was amazing. Top notch acting and writing. I hope Frons is fired once his new shows fail.

43. Grace says:

Mr. Frons you gave the ax to two great soaps, now millions of viewers are giving ABC the ax, starting with me. I hope that advertisers will do the same and this will make you reconsider your poor decision.

44. zoot says:

SAD…I grew up with these shows..but my all-time favorite was SANTA BARBARA..sure wish I could watch that show again

45. ddp says:

I have been watching the show since it started, I think that we should all “boycott” the network! I don’t think that these new shows will fly, I know I won’t watch them if they do air them. I want my OLTL to continue as it has been for the past 43 years.
    Boycot the network! Boycot the network! Boycot the network! Boycot the network! Boycot the network! Boycot the network! Boycot the network! Boycot the network! Boycot the network! Boycot the network!

46. Theresa says:

All of us AMC and OLTL fans should send a message to Brian Frons by boycotting any show on ABC from 1 to 3:p.m., and all ABC sponsors in those time slots.

47. guilty pleasure says:

Actually it should be “And then there were three” since OLTL will be cancelled in Jan. 2012! RIP to both shows, I will miss watching both of them very much!!!!!

48. THARDING11 says:

Contain my excitement!!! Really lets see i wonder if the people doing this watches ABC!!! Well I DO!!! YOU know what I think, I think they should let us vote!!!! and what ever show gets the most votes gets played or aired how ever they say it!!! I tell you one thing if they do change it… than they are going to have 1 LESS ABC watcher and thats me, my soaps are the MAIN reason WHY i watch ABC!!! PLEASE LET US VOTE!!!

49. Thom,Boise,ID says:

with te rash of soap cancellations FOX should create a soap with the crem dele crem of the soaps and create a super soap. I’d watch!

50. ANTOINETTE says:

Thats right its all about the money people like you don;t care about the viewers and what they want and what we want is not talk shows we want our soaps we love all my children and one life to live i will never watch abc again never . And what about the soap stars that gave up everything to move to los angeles for what to be out of a job you peolpe should be ashamed of yourselfs . Whats going to be next i dont really care like i said you take off the soaps you loose a viewer and i won’t be the only one either .. Thanks foe nothing !!