ABC Axes All My Children and One Life to Live

And then there were four.

ABC is confirming what has been rumored for weeks: All My Children and One Life to Live will end their storied runs in September 2011 and January 2012, respectively.

The twin cancellations will leave just four soaps on the air — Days of Our Lives on NBC, General Hospital on ABC, and The Young & The Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS.

AMC and OLTL — which have been around for a combined 83 years — will be replaced by a pair of generic-sounding (and cheaper to produce) talk/lifestyle shows, the food-themed The Chew and the makeover-centric The Revolution.

Contain your excitement.

“While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can’t help but recognize how bittersweet the change is,” said ABC Daytime president Brian Frons. “We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days. They are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on ‘real life’ takeaways.

All My Children and One Life to Live are iconic pieces of television that have made an indelible mark on our culture’s history,” Frons continued. “Each of the shows has touched millions and millions of viewers and informed the social consciousness. It has been a privilege to work with the extraordinary teams who brought the residents of Pine Valley and Llanview to life each day, and we thank the cast, crew, producers and most especially the fans for their commitment to the shows through their history.”

Ratings for daytime soaps have been on a steady decline for the past two decades as viewing patterns shifted and audiences migrated to talk shows. In the past 10 years alone, the industry saw the cancellation of As the World Turns, Guiding Light, Port Charles and Passions.

In a statement, suds queen Susan Lucci — who has played the iconic Erica Kane since AMC‘s inception in 1970 — said, “It’s been a fantastic journey. I’ve loved playing Erica and working with [AMC creator] Agnes Nixon and all the incredible people involved with All My Children. I’m looking forward to all kinds of new and exciting opportunities.”

Okay soap fans, post those eulogies in the comments section.

1. Gina says:

I truly believe that there is something really really wrong with ABC. But it does not suprise me at all. What is this world coming too? How can they replace AMC and OLTL with two stupid new shows? I really hope that you are reading this and all of the other comments posted. Can’t you see what a BIG mistake ABC is making? You will soon find out because I will no longer tune in to ABC like the rest of us. By the way who is making this decision:(

2. Amy says:

her showed a lot more sympathy for the fans that the jerk at CBS when GL and ATWT was cancelled. I don’t watch AMC or OLTL, but after losing ATWT last year I know how sad some people must be. What a shame.

3. OLTL Fan from Pa says:

I’m am really shocked to hear this!!!! I used to be a GH fan but the story line started to get a little crazy so I turned to OLTL and AMC. I may only be 32 but I have been watching my “stories” as I like to call them since I was in my early teens. My daughter who is only 12 has been watching OLTL with me for the past 3 years and she loves it!!!! And although these shows are fictional, I can relate to them in some way and so can my daughter. I enjoy being able to come home from work in the evenings and relaxing with the people from Lanview Pa. It’s nice to know that even though it’s not real someone out there has it worse then me even though they appear to have more then me. Shame on you ABC. I don’t know how you will recover from this and part of me hopes you don’t. There are enough talk shows and reality shows on as it is and you are just adding to the stupidity of a vast majority of them. I have to say that I may only be one person but you will definitley lose me as viewer when you cancel these two shows. SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!

4. Teri says:

I’d rather clean my house then ither one of those reality shows. You flood night time programing with reality t.v. & now you have to ruin daytime? if i wanted to watch cooking shows, i have the food network to do so…BIG MISTAKE ABC you will lose viewers out of spite. soap fans are loyal & will refuse to watch even the best show on ABC simply because you took off there favorite soap for it.

5. Saddened by the news, but not surprised. Not to push an agenda, but I just published a tribute to both shows (and grandmas everywhere) that I thought you might appreciate. http://bit.ly/eUmMRn

6. Jon says:

I think trimming the cast, and scaling back to the original 1/2 hour format might be a way to save both shows.

• Steve says:

I keep hearing that suggestion. How will it help? Each show has certain fixed costs that don’t change whether they are 30 min or 60 min. With the 60 min length, those fixed costs can be amortized over a whole hour’s worth of advertising revenues. This is the main reasons most soaps went to 60 min in the first place. Two half hour soaps are more expensive to produce than a single hour long show.

7. linda says:

sad,sad,sad! I used to watch all abc soaps and one by one they were canceled. A few years ago I stopped watching GH because it became so violent. It is funny to think that the two shows that are about life and love are the ones they are canceling. the violent show they are keeping. Hence trash tv doesnt seem to be too far off track. sorry this has come to an end. Hello Days of our Lives and Young and the Restless.

8. soapfan says:

Abc must be nuttier than fruitcake! More reality tv? Can you say boycott?

9. Janelle says:

This is the end of an era… or the start of the end. This is a real shame… I only watched AMC every now and then, but still, no more Ryan and Greenlee?! I can’t even think of the possiblity of Days or Y&R being cancelled…15 years of watching both of those… and does anyone really need another talk show. Ellen is awesome enough for everyone, Oprah is essentially done… why do we need more talk shows. They should keep the soap operas and move them to prime time. They can replace some of the sucky reality shows we are forced to watch…

10. jombie says:

This is a horrible news. Why not just switch them to the evening to see if the viewership increases. I tape One Life To Live daily and look forward to watching it every night. There are enough talk stupid shows on air! As for failing ratings, certainly no one has ever contacted me or anyone I know for our opinions.

11. tvaddict70 says:

such a sad, sad day. there will be none left in next few years since reality and talk shows will take over all channels all the time….

12. Myke25 says:

“The Chew”? Really?! Ick! I can hear the promo guys now:
    “The View” and “The Chew”: You’ll look at lunch a whole new way!

13. JT says:

Hopefully some other network will seize the opportunity and try to pick one or both up and run with them as has happened to other popular programs that were rejected by their original owners?

• Grant Darktower says:

This would be great, I would follow them for sure!! Is there a way that our DVR’d programs can be used for ratings? I know they do not count on SoapNet. I watch my stuff AFTER I get home. But like your idea very much!

• Lou says:

Maybe the Soap station will pick them up because I am not watching ABC anymore…they Suck…wanting to replace the Soaps with a talk show. If you think you rating are down now just wait tell the talk show starts. I want to Boyscott ABC.

14. Grant Darktower says:

I was a small child when I got hooked on soaps. No one in my family watches it AT all! Just me! I started off with Edge of Night, Search for Tomorrow. Moved on to Loving, still love me some Lorna Forbes! Then to the City, slowly got hooked onto OLTL, then GH and finally AMC. I dabbled in DOOL and Passion but could not get use to their style of story telling. Oh almost forgot Port Charles. Most of my faves were canceled as you can see, but felt OLTL would live on,I stopped watching AMC due to the way they treated us viewers after Zachs death!! GRRR!! LOOOOVE me some Tess, Vicky, the Mannings, Kramer women, The Lords, etc etc. Especially my girl LUNA!!! Still watch Gh and well I best enjoy it now before they take that away from me too!! I guess I will soon have 2hours a day, 10 hours a week to read a good book, because I will NOT watch anything that will replace these 2 programs. I felt in time I would return to AMC, but guess they felt it was not important to try to get me back! For shame for shame!!!

15. Kira J says:

I think it’s so stupid to cancel the shows. The last thing any network needs is more generic talk shows.

16. Rachel says:

This is disgusting. Let them talk food on the FOOD Network. I’m sorry but One Life to Live is probably my favorite show of all time. Best characters, best storylines. And yet, they keep a show like GH full of characters that you can’t even like let alone care about? A complete travesty. Shame on you, ABC.

17. Kim and Nikki says:

Do you even care how much Susan Lucci sacrificed for you people? WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU?! 41 FRICKEN YEARS THAT’S WHAT! I HATE ABC NOW!

18. Juli says:

I will miss both shows VERY much! I started watching AMC from the beginning in 1970…even skipped school to watch Phil & Tara marry before he left for Vietnam. Thank God GH is still around, but for how long? Until they decide they need another “reality” show? Reality my foot…those are scripted. Do you really think I’m going to watch another Snookie type show? All those talk shows are way too much overload. The only good one was Oprah and you’re losing her. Hey! Maybe Oprah will want the soaps on her new channel! I hear she’s struggling to find an audience. (smile) I know she has a special place in her heart for AMC (She even guested on it) Either way, you have lost me completely the day you cancel General Hospital.

19. Kim and Nikki says:

Don’t give me that crap that soap operas don’t generate young audiences either, we’re only 19 and have been watching AMC our whole lives! Everyone make sure to tell everyone you know to stop watching ABC!

20. Sam says:

Unbelievable, I can’t believe they cancelled both, OLTL is the best soap on, I only watch ABC for their soaps other then that most of their shows are garbage and not worth turning the tv on. Does anyone really want any more talk shows, get real, why does tv producers think that all people want to watch is talk show and realality crap. I watch neither and have no plans on doing so!!! Honest to god their is nothing good on tv during the day other then ABC soap, Could they not have saved one of the soaps, ABC has great stories, could they not keep it. Whoever made this decision is diffinately making a big mistake and is a huge A**hole, i hope u lose ur job over it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so mad right now, I could live without AMC but not OLTL. Unreal, what a sad, sad day!!!!

21. Sherita says:

I am devastated to hear that ABC is cancelling two of my favorite soaps, All My Children and One Life to Live. My grandmother introduced me to the soaps over 30 years ago and I have been a loyal viewer ever since. Every day life is sometimes hard to deal with so having that place to escape always helped to alleviate some of my reality stress. Port Charles and Llanview may be fictional places, but through the years I’ve come to care about those characters and have a great deal of respect for the actors who bring them to life. Wow, more people out of work; that’s what this world truly needs and more reality tv shows. Seriously???

22. Pattie says:

Sad, sad day. I for one will not bother tuning into the replacement talk shows. For shame, ABC.

23. Scott Allen says:

Wow, I can’t believe it. I watch all 3 ABC soaps and currently GH is my least favorite. I tape (yes tape — my trusty VCR) all 3 soaps plus Oprah everyday for over 20 years. I guess now I’ll have a lot more free time.

24. susan says:

I cant beieve this is happening to my favorite soap operas. I never saw it coming. I am a huge soap fan, and will miss these shows very, very, much. I will continue watching General Hospital, but I am a stay at home mom, and will never ever watch the replacements for amc, and one life to live. Abc is making a huge mistake, as now they will have no one watching daytime tv at all. There is going to be a huge drop in the ratings, and they deserve it. I hope another network will pick these two shows up, and then I would turn the channel. So sad

25. Margaret Luciano says:

are you kidding? I’ve been watching for as long as i can remember. I will start a petition and protest! This is very sad and rediculous. To say the least. You cancel those and I will never watch ABC ever again. I’ sure i’m not the only fan of these shows. You will lose more money from cancelling these shows than I bet you will make with the new shows you plan on showing.

26. Laddy says:

Hmmmm…I hadn’t watched All My Children in years until the day Angie gave birth to a stillborn baby and they replaced it with an abandoned baby all while Angie is BLIND! HUH? Good grief…with story lines like that no wonder it’s getting cancelled! night night All My Children…

27. Ann says:

Soap viewers are the most loyal fans in entertainment IMO. This is sad news and I do understand that is costs more to produce a drama than a tacky talk show. If I thought that the quality would improve on the remaining soap that would be one thing, but it won’t – it will continue to be all mobsters, guns and degrading to women. GH has some great acting talent, but their stories are awful.

I’ve watched OLTL for 40 years – gooodbye my friends – Vicki, Dorian, Clint, Bo, Nora, Blair etc…..it was great watching you.

28. MWall says:

I am so very upset. I love OLTL. I will miss it. I will not watch ABC during the day at all, not in protest but just because I hate reality TV. I kind of like getting lost in the trashy fictional story lines and escaping my real life issues for a few hours a day. Too bad!

29. Lori Schaffer says:

I have been watching All My Children since I was 13 and I am now 49 ! That makes me so sad as all of us who watch have grown to love all the characters we have watched grow up get married all the other mishaps and adventures!! So worng!!! Boo to you ABC And I will never watch the show you replace my soap with!!!

30. maggie says:

Putting on generic lifestyle shows isn’t a “bold step.” It’s copying cable & syndication. Frons must not believe that networks are leaders or innovators anymore if he is copying cheap cable shows. What an idiot!

31. Lisa says:

Very sad to hear this! I have watched AMC since the 1970’s. I will not watch any talk shows. I set my DVR and record AMC every day so when it goes there will be one less recording. Brian Frons should be fired because the reduction in viewers is his fault.

32. Lisa says:

I remember watching these shows with my mom abd grandmother and rushing hone from school to see them pre-VCR. They fir me through college and illness, raising my kids when they were younger. My daughter and I have shared them. They have also gotten me through layoffs and other hard times.
    These were the last shows that I watched on the ABC network day or night, Their programing stinks and continues to with these cancellations. I’m done with ABC.

33. Robert says:

ABC has offically lost their mind. Ending two shows is the worst decision they could have made. Can’t believe it. I will continue to watch OLTL until the end. I like AMC, but haven’t watched in months.

34. Nyoka sanders says:

Boycott all Disney assets

35. Linda says:

Well, ABC has lost one loyal viewer. I will never watch another daytime or prime time show on the network. Brian Frons is a idiot. Most soap fans knew he would manage to tank our shows and replace them with some drivel. Ms. Sweeney, I’m afraid you and yours have made a dreadful mistake. You do not know how powerful soap fans can be until you put us in this position. I’m afraid you will not like the results.

36. ava says:

ABC daytime has suffered low ratings since Frons took over. He wouldn’t know a good decision if it bit him in the ass!

37. angela says:

I say let’s keep AMC and OLTL and get ride of Brian Frons!!! The man is an a**hole. So let’s see Oprah decides to call it quits and he kills the rest of the afternoon. Get rid of him NOW!!!!!!!! Get on the phone, start emailing and what ever else needs to be done the man is nuts. Like we really need more talk shows.

38. lori says:

I want to know what viewers brian frons has been talking to because after reading all these comments it wasn’t any of these fans. I am in shock over this what a sad for daytime television

39. Trace says:

I don’t watch reality tv, cooking or talk shows now. Why would I want to watch new ones of just the same old crap? There are way too many of those types on TV now. So they’re cheaper to produce but if nobody’s watching then what’s the point? I’ll keep watching AMC & GH (as I’m sure it will be gone soon too) until they are gone then I’ll give up ABC for good. My heart goes out to all the cast & crew of these shows who after being told their jobs were secure will be unemployed. As for you Brian Frons, I hope that someday soon you will find yourself out of work, hungry, homeless & remembering that you did the same to so many others.

40. A.D. says:

This is so messed up! Brian Frons is a waste of a person. OLTL is the best!

41. ChelseaGirl says:

I’ve been watching one life to live all through high school. And if there’s one thing I hate most in this world it’s reality tv and stupid junk shows that support the tagline of “a healthy body is a happy body” intrest shows. And they’re basing this on crap ratings, Not sweeps or anything that’s worth taking note of. Also, How is General Hospital going to survive it now being the only soap on ABC that’s lead by crappy junk TV nobody cares for.
    Is there any chance that ABC will see their mistake and bring the shows back, even if it’s after a short hiautus. I mean I have many years ahead of me, and I’d just like it to where my show (one I give a care for) is on every afternoon at 1pm.
    And in regards to ratings, hello most people record it. That has nothing to do with not being interested anymore. ABC I have got to say I am disgusted with all of this and I’m not one for your primetime shows but your daytime shows are so amazing with great casts and great writing.

42. JoanL says:

Over the years, I often wondered what the big whoop was about All My Children. Who was this Susan Lucci? Then, several years ago, I watched a few episodes and since then, have been hooked. It’s the reason I drop whatever I’m doing and turn on the TV and tune to ABC. So I’m surprised and dismayed to learn that ABC is canceling it. I’m even more dismayed at what it plans to air in its place. “The Chew?” Please. I’m with all the other commenters who note that there is already a surfeit of such shows about food. And I love food and all manner of discussions about it–from cooking to the problems of factory farming. But I won’t watch another show about food, especially one on network TV. And my Revolution will be getting back that hour I gave every weekday to watching “All My Children.” I will use that hour to get more work done, watch the first half hour I now miss of Charlie Rose, or getting out and about. I will sorely miss my guilty pleasure and my involvement with the wonderful (and hateful–yes you, David Hayward!) people of Pine Valley. I’ll also not watch another bit of anything on ABC. Unless, of course, ABC rethinks this wrongheaded programming decision and keeps “All My Children” on the air.

43. Mary, Warren, MI says:

I can not believe it. The story lines are about the problems that families face these days. On One Life To Live the story line that has been going on for a while with Shane that is a real life story that is happening in every city in the U.S. I agree with Annette, from Los Angeles. Put them on SoapNet.

• 3dhouseofmagic says:

Mary, they have already announced they are changing SOAPnet (Best.cable.channel.ever) to a Disney format. I hope Oprah picks them up and saves them…that could save her network!!

44. Roger Hester says:

Thats all we need is more talk shows, food shows, or other health shows be shoved down our throats. Over the years I have slowly weened myself off of ABC. Now I will have no reason to go back, except for the local news, but I can get that on NBC. Hello CBS and Fox.

45. sharon says:

The powers that be at ABC Daytime have been trying to destroy daytime soaps for quite some time. They have the audacity to blame its demise on the viewers….there is still a huge audience for soaps. How dare they blame this on the audience! It’s all about dollars and cents. I believe that this disaster of a plan will fail and fail badly- as it should. I will not be watching ABC daytime anymore.

46. misty j says:

Also I cant believe they are comparing these two soaps to the cancellation of other soaps such as port charles and passions. all my children and one lifte to live have been on alot longer than either of those two. i know alot of people are going to be really pissed about this!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. megslin says:

It may be “cheaper” now for reality tv programming…but in a year or two when those shows don’t pan out, and they go for the next cheap thrill hoping to score even a million viewers…they’ll realize how stupid they were to pull waning but still viable television. This is what happens all over tv networks…when something isn’t making tons of money, they pull it…but how often does what they replace it with ACTUALLY make money or even break even? I don’t think losing a loyal fanbase is comparable to losing a few dollars…and let’s be honest. It’s not like they’re losing a ton of money. They just don’t have that coveted demographic of 18-54. Good luck getting advertisers to invest new money into shows that aren’t proven winners or that haven a loyal fanbase.

48. jimbo says:

I’ve been watching OLTL since the day it started. …

nighttime shows would come and go. reality and talk shows suck.

no matter what happened in my life, an hour in llanview has always been something i could count on.

come next january, i’ll probably turn the tv off for good.

49. Eric Kane says:

Brian Frons is scum.

50. Robin says:

Though I do not watch either AMC or OLTL, I do watch Y&R, and prior to that I watched GL, which was my favorite! I truly miss that show :( Way back in the day I watched Days (actually grew up watching that one), it was my first soap. And then I also watched Sunset Beach when it was on the air for its short lived life. I know what the fans of these shows are going through, and I am saddened at this “sign of the times.” I really hope that Y&R can stick around for awhile longer, I would miss watching my soap on DVR each evening.