ABC Axes All My Children and One Life to Live

And then there were four.

ABC is confirming what has been rumored for weeks: All My Children and One Life to Live will end their storied runs in September 2011 and January 2012, respectively.

The twin cancellations will leave just four soaps on the air — Days of Our Lives on NBC, General Hospital on ABC, and The Young & The Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful on CBS.

AMC and OLTL — which have been around for a combined 83 years — will be replaced by a pair of generic-sounding (and cheaper to produce) talk/lifestyle shows, the food-themed The Chew and the makeover-centric The Revolution.

Contain your excitement.

“While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can’t help but recognize how bittersweet the change is,” said ABC Daytime president Brian Frons. “We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days. They are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on ‘real life’ takeaways.

All My Children and One Life to Live are iconic pieces of television that have made an indelible mark on our culture’s history,” Frons continued. “Each of the shows has touched millions and millions of viewers and informed the social consciousness. It has been a privilege to work with the extraordinary teams who brought the residents of Pine Valley and Llanview to life each day, and we thank the cast, crew, producers and most especially the fans for their commitment to the shows through their history.”

Ratings for daytime soaps have been on a steady decline for the past two decades as viewing patterns shifted and audiences migrated to talk shows. In the past 10 years alone, the industry saw the cancellation of As the World Turns, Guiding Light, Port Charles and Passions.

In a statement, suds queen Susan Lucci — who has played the iconic Erica Kane since AMC‘s inception in 1970 — said, “It’s been a fantastic journey. I’ve loved playing Erica and working with [AMC creator] Agnes Nixon and all the incredible people involved with All My Children. I’m looking forward to all kinds of new and exciting opportunities.”

Okay soap fans, post those eulogies in the comments section.

Comments (780)

• I have been watching abc soaps for 30 yrs I admit I stops watching amc 3 yrs ago due to the writers Erica Kane was sicking same victams over and over… OLTL is the best out of all three..If they don’t take GH off I won’t watch it anymore, or anything on abc, their also taking soap net off in 2012…WE HAVE ENOUGH REALITY SHOWS and gay talk shows..people need to escape from reality some times..soaps was my daily escape from my crazy life..I hope ABC goes off the air completely.

Comment by Tracy – December 12, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it is a crying shame that ABC took AMC off the air and are setting to finish OLTL!!!! I have been watching all 3 ABC soaps for 40+ years by physically watching it then taping it via VHS and for the last I dont know how many years by DVR….wouldn’t miss them for anything!!!
    Since AMC has been off the air I have NOT watched the replacement show “The Chew” and have no interest in watching it or the replacement show for OLTL. I will move on to another channel for something to replace them!!
    I have noticed that I am watching less and less shows on ABC and with the cancellation of these two phenominal shows, I will be watching ABC even less!!!
    I want to say to the writers and cast & crew of both shows that you will be greatly missed!!!!! Maybe we will all be lucky enough for another channel to pick you up (like Soapnet) and your faithful followers will be back to enjoying your show!!!!!!!

Comment by Sheri J – December 13, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this sucks i love amc and oltl why after all these years would these people want to take them off the air

Comment by ami – December 15, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What if everyone boycotted ABC during these time slots? We just refused to watch the chew and the revolution.

Comment by kassi – December 15, 2011 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree completely!!

Comment by Brittany – December 30, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe this is really happening they could have just changed the time slot instead of taking it off completely they talk about the money please they have enough money there just rude and uncaring of what the people want. the show the chew is boring. These shows at one time was dealing with life problem maybe that’s what happen they stop telling the story’s of the world changes. channel 7 please come back with some good show because your rating has gone down period.

Comment by Geraldine S. Gonzales – December 19, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please dont take away another soap..I live for my soaps.
    I am so saddened bye this dicssion.
    What am i going to watch on day time tv now?!!.

Comment by Tara stevenson – December 27, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did ppl eva stopped to think the time slot needed to change …when these soaps aired there were stay at home moms..today family is not home during those hours everyone is tryin to work to stay a float .. ijs

Comment by dee – December 27, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the “guys” who made this decision are reading these emails. I use to be a CBS soap opera watcher but when they cancelled two of the shows and put on “The Talk”, I immediately switched to ABC since they were still airing soaps. I got involved in the storyline only to find out they are cancelling OLTL and replacing it with another reality “get your life back on track” show. I don’t want to see that, how boring!!!!!!! Unfortunately, it’s too late to keep the shows but I’m sick of all this so called reality tv shows. I don’t watch any of them b/c they are so fake and stupid and not entertaining at all. Now as i sit here writing this, two commercials for Celebrity Swap Wife and the Bachelorette. Give me a break. Looks like I’ll be reading more books.

Comment by runner 51 – December 30, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only have one thing to say… If one life to live goes off air I will not watch ABC again… I am 19 and have been watching this show with my mom everyday as long as I can remember. And I am so disappointed that it wont be on anymore. Your ratings will drop for sure now!

Comment by Brittany – December 30, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Truly good site thank you so much for your time in publishing the posts for all of us to learn about.

Comment by Lin Dinco – March 23, 2012 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • please any channel: bring back dallas, falcon crest, knots landing, one life to live and all my children
    abc you suck without the good soaps
    i dont even turn on my tv now much anymore since nothing of value worth watching!
    and the talk shows all repeat themselves in the sam manner as oprah shows did barfffffffffffff

Comment by jazzy – May 26, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • who wants to hear about kids being locked up for yrs in attics and their parents not being parents over and over again day after day and models who wear this dress or that dress common give us something to enjoy watching!

Comment by jazzy – May 26, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh yeah i forgot…THE BACHELOR, DANCING WITH THE STARS omg
    barf
    YEAR AFTER YEAR SAME OL SAME OL

Comment by jazzy – May 26, 2012 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want all my children back!!! I hate the show that replaced it, and I tryed to like it, but I only sat threw the first 5 mins of the first show and I hated it and changed the channel. Now I watch the replays of all my children on soap net, I’m getting tired of watching reruns and I would like to see it come back on the air!!!

Comment by Kayci – January 29, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As mentioned, thousands of people have already seen life
    changing results after using Kyle Leon’s Muscle Maximizer for just a few weeks, and there is nothing that says that you can’t experience the same changes as well.

If you would definitely be a true beginner to figuring out to gain muscular, you will need to begin
    your workouts inside the gym or health and fitness center to
    use trainers and other staff to support and teach anyone setup your schooling routine.
    Yes, obviously, it is the most affordable way of buying protein since all
    you want to do is to obtain those egg whites with a tray of offspring.

Comment by Muscle Maximizer Review – June 17, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection
    of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.
    You have done a wonderful job!

Comment by secrets to dog training ebook free download – July 31, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is another answer to your problem on what is the fast way of treating a cold sore and can be bought at any health food store.

Put it on your feet and you will smell it on your breath in less than 30
    minutes. For as far back as 1800, this virus has manipulated the lives of thousands
    of both males and females in a wrong way.

Comment by feverblistercures.blogspot.com – August 4, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing
    many months of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any methods to protect
    against hackers?

Comment by lexmod Coupon – November 27, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • way to go ABC you just lost a viewer, drinking my coffee @ 5:00am, watching ONE LIFE TO LIVE! channel froze, called sudden link, and found out soap net has been taken off the air!!! no warnings! the owners have taken the channel off! well I will never watch ABC again!!! Lana Cockrell, Amarillo,Texas

Comment by LANA COCKRELL Amarillo,TX – December 17, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really miss All my Children soap opera. I would love it if another station would carry it. I always kind of thought it was odd that Disney carried it , because of the deceit and the sexual content, and I wasn`t fond of them exposing the child actors to some of their rolls in it. But at the same time it came on really late in the night and early morning so no children would be exposed to it. I really enjoyed watching it and hate being in suspense of what was going to happen next. Oh well life goes on lol

Comment by Janet Collier – January 14, 2014 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post