American Idol Top 8 Results: Did the Right Contestant Get Sent Home Tonight?

Don’t shed any tears over the outcome of tonight’s American Idol Top 8 results-show telecast. The contestant with the lowest number of viewer votes wouldn’t want it that way. “It’s okay, man. It’s been good times,” a smiling Paul McDonald told his fellow finalists as they gathered around him following his exit performance of “Maggie May.”

Idoloonies Interview: PIA TOSCANO on Her Dream Rap Duet,
Love of Ballads, and That Ghastly Jumpsuit

McDonald’s ouster wasn’t particularly shocking. Despite getting uniformly glowing reviews from the judges’ panel for his Wednesday night cover of Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock and Roll,” plenty of pundits (myself included) predicted it would be the end of the road for the gravelly-voiced rocker, who finished second (behind only Jacob Lusk) in a poll ranking the worst performance from Songs from the Movies night.

Anyway, let’s get to the “just the facts” portion of this article, shall we?

Bottom Three
Stefano “We Haven’t Quite Come to the End of the Road” Langone
Haley “The Only Singer Who Deserved Any Kind of Criticism Wednesday Night, According to Our A-List Judging Panel” Reinhart
Paul “This Is What Happens When You Set Down the Guitar” McDonald

American Idol Performance Night Recap: Reel Talk

Bottom Two
Stefano Langone
Paul McDonald

Paul McDonald

Musical Performances
Lauren Alaina and Scotty McCreery: “American Honey”
Haley Reinhart and Casey Abrams: “Moanin'” [HAY-LEEEEEEEE!]
Kelly Clarkson and Jason Aldean: “Don’t You Wanna Stay”
Jacob, Stefano, James, and Paul: “The Sounds of Silence”/”Mrs. Robinson”
Rihanna: “California Kingbed”

And now that you’ve got the facts, I’m going to get working on my full episode recap — look for it to post overnight here at [UPDATE: Full recap is liiive!] Until then, how are you feeling about Paul’s ouster? Do you think he should head directly to Nashville to record more duets with Kendra Chantelle (like this one)? Were you surprised Jacob avoided the bottom three? Do you wish the judges still had their save to use? Sound off below, and for all my Idol news and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Loading video...

Loading video...

Loading video...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Eolra says:

Fair enough. Paul wasn’t going to go any further with his performances – I think we have seen what he could offer and I doubt he would have “grown” from this point on – he is what he is (and that’s ok). Fitting that his “sing-out” song would be MM – his best performance….several weeks ago. No surprise.

People who really impressed me in the group performances tonight (and BTW, how much of an improvement is that format to the old cheesy group performances????): Haley – OMG, so relaxed, she NEEDS to tap into that for her next performance…and also, sadly Jacob, who I totally can’t stand. Could he just effing SING A SONG like a normal person for a second? I thought his voice sounded great when he had to rein it back to be in the quartet. I feel sorry for Lauren and Scotty being saddled with another country duet with each other – the nice thing about seeing Haley and Jacob is that they were forced to show something new – the producers did Scotty and Lauren no favours by sticking them with the same schtick as last week.

• Lee says:

I agree that the producers did Scotty and Lauren no favors by having them sing another country song duet. And maybe if the judges would do their jobs and point out to both Haley and Jacob to relax, then maybe we’d get better performances out of them. I still think Jacob turned in the worst performance of the night. It was like listening to screeching cats. How could the judges overlook how pitchy he was and not even point it out to him? He should’ve gone home instead of Paul–even though I don’t think Paul is that great either. Who is voting for Jacob? I don’t think it’s the African-Americans because why would they keep him over Naima. It must be the gays. I thought they had better taste.

• I don’t know who is voting for Jacob, or why the judges have yet to say a single bad word about him. They didn’t even mention the fact that he called out America during his “Man In The Mirror” performance. I am glad that Jimmy Iovine did, but the judges are like afraid to say something bad to him. I think Jacob, Stefano, and Haley are at risk next week. I really hope Jacob and Stefano are gone before Haley, and Paul being gone is a good first step in eliminating these boys before another girl. But with 53 million votes anything can happen, good or bad.

• Paloma Pigeon says:

When Jacob got sent back to the couch, my husband said “Obama is power texting.”

• misstaken says:

Oh stop. I like Jacob, seriously. I also like Haley and Casey.

• Aunt Sassy says:

Hey Paloma, can you explain why your husband said Obama was power texting? I’m sure Chaka Khan and Anita Baker were too. Oh, and don’t forget Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia, or any other African American contestant on the show. Racist much?

• Pete says:

We gays don’t want him either

• Shannon says:

Right. So, then it’s just like Lee said. Who the heck is voting for Jacob? The gospels?The gays? The closeted gospel gays who think they can sing the gay away? (even though it only puts it on flamboyant display)
          That’s actually the only interesting thing about Jacob: that he’s a gospel-singing gay guy. I want to know now how he justifies homosexuality while still being so devoutly religious, because it’s become such a stereotypical impossibility.
          And yet, he’s still so freakin’ judgmental! How ironic… Partly why I can’t stand him. Too bad that he had to go and ruin something refreshing with atrociously off-the-charts histrionics and arrogance.
          And then you have someone like James, who claims to be religious, but doesn’t preach, judge, or attempt to address his faith through his music. Supposedly there is such a thing as Christian metal (believe it or not), but he’s certainly not aiming for anything of the sort.
          So, where am I going with all of this? Even though I’m thoroughly tired of Jacob, at least he’s not one of the gay-fearing Gokeys or Michael Sarvers. Even though we haven’t moved away from homophobia in America, at least we seem to be moving away from it on American Idol.

• NJ says:

As an aside, I wouldn’t bunch in Sarver with Gokey on this one – yes, he had that attitude, but he’s made it clear that he’s had a change of heart about that, which is more than I can say about Gokey. Sarver is a good guy.

• Leah says:

I’ll tell you who is voting for Jacob, my 80 year old mother-in-law who thinks he is wonderful. Perhaps only his screechy goat noises are audible to the seniors sect so they vote for him?

• djm says:

Jeeze Shannon – like to generalize and stereotype do ya? First of all, where has been stated BY Jacob that he is gay? Did I miss the exclusive interview where he came out and said he is gay? Because until he himself comes out and says it directly, you don’t KNOW anything about him. For all we know he is assexual and doesn’t have sex with anyone. And frankly who the F cares? Just because Haley prances around making facial expressions that look like a cat in heat does not mean she’s a total HOOKER does it? Get a clue freak. People are voting for Jacob – so what? Just because you don’t like him or his sexuality doesn’t mean that other people can’t see past whatever preconceived notions they may have about him. I don’t care for him vocally, but I could CARE LESS who is voting for him or what he does behind closed doors – it’s none of my business – and it’s NONE OF YOURS.

• Shannon says:

Ok, djm. One sec while I get my lawyer: Jacob is “allegedly” gay. And I only brought up his sexuality because myself and a few others on this board we’re wondering just where on earth his votes were coming from. People who enjoy overkill histrionics, exaggerated facial expressions, and some very very sharp singing, I guess. You are correct that I do not like Jacob, but no where did I say that I am anti-gay. If you re-read my post, you will see that is not the case. Oh, and of course it’s possible for Jacob to be asexual (although the definition of asexuality is someone who isn’t sexually attracted to anyone, not someone who merely avoids sex. In that case, you would be referring to celibacy. And he might be celibant. Why not?), but I don’t think you considered that he might be straight… I really doubt the latter, but you’re right that Jacob hasn’t declared that he is gay. At least, not in words…

• Laurel says:

I was really bummed when Jacob was sent back to the couch.

• Michael says:

His voice sounded “great” because you couldn’t hear it. It blended with the other voices. That’s the only way I can stomach the stank spewing out of his holier-than-thou face. Jakob must be a popular contestant. He’s only been in the bottom 3 once and that was most likely because of his pomposity, not because of his singing. I cringe when he sings. My mother thinks that he’s the greatest thing since Mahalia Jackson. I’m not sure what she is hearing, but…

• Dan says:

I’m not a big fan of either Jacob or Stefano. As a matter of fact, I can’t stand Jacob. That being said, I felt like J and S got the shaft with what they had to sing. Is there anything less R&B than Simon and Garfunkel. I mean I love Paul Simon, but no one writes whiter music.

• Carolyn says:

Dan, not sure if you know this but the song Jacob sang (and murdered) last night was also written by Simon and Garfunkel. Somewhat ironic that he took a song written by Jewish Men to church. And go and listen to Me and Julio or Paul Simon’s Graceland Album. What is “white” music anyway. They were amazing artists and writers. And U2 is “white” music but Mary J. Blige and other great R&B singers have made their music their own.

• Dan says:

I meant no offence… I just meant that they’re R&B singers and the song/songs given to them were far from R&B. Others got songs right in their wheelhouse.

• Caitlin says:

Search Youtube, there are a lot of great singer who have turned Bridge Over Troubled Waters into a gospel song. The list includes Clay Aiken, who performed it backed up by a very big choir. It’s basically accepted as being his signature performance.

• G-Mom says:

I’m glad someone pointed out that Clay Aiken sang “Bridge”. His version was really great because he has an awesome voice. Unfortunately, Jacob doesn’t.

• Linda says:

Glad also to see that you’ve mentioned Clay’s absolutely brilliant performance of that song. The same most definitely can not be said of Jacob’s performance. I also wonder what in the world those lame judges are hearing. I was so hoping it would be the last I’d see of him this week on the show.

• julie says:

Even though Paul Simon is jewish, when he wrote Bridge Over Troubled Water I’m sure he was quite consciously adapting the gospel genre, so it wasn’t such a stretch to “take that song to church”– though if you mean Jacob dragged it through a swamp on the way to church, I’d have to agree. (His performance was “wet” as Simon Cowell would have said.) Growing up in NYC, Paul Simon was influenced by the latin sounds and R&B sounds, and all the other sounds in the urban air at that time, as well. Garfunkel didn’t write any of it, btw, just sang.

• Carolyn says:

Thanks for that Julie. Especially the visual. I didn’t want to take forever and yes I know and like that the gospel vibe is often given to that song (though I prefer the soft melancholy of the original). Also good point that Garfunkel mostly sang. Though his voice is something special, when it comes to righting you are correct that the genius is Simon. I didn’t see the Clay season. Honestly I’ve only liked one Jacob performance this whole season and it wasn’t God bless the child. I was just flabbergasted by the idea of “white” music. Great points.

• Carolyn says:

Oops. I meant writing not righting. Where did that come from?

• Sally says:

Maybe just maybe Scotty & Lauren are going to sign a “C&W” record contract and record as a duet….like Kelly & Aldean?

• Jeannie says:

I will miss Paul. He’s one of the few left that I actually look forward to hearing. He brings something a little different to each rendition. Most of the idols sound like little karaoke players.

Once Haley and James are gone.. well I’ll be gone too from this season.

• Marcasite says:

Totally in agreement. For the sake of all of us still blessed with hearing, send Jacob home. By the way, heard that he asked his judge to cut short his parole so he could audition–such a fine young man.

2. GingerSnap says:

The right guy went home. He should have gone 3 weeks ago.

I took power voting to a new height last night – AT&T says I voted 18,000 times in the 2 hours after the show. Didn’t vote for a single girl. I’m wondering if Idol sent a guy home, even if he didn’t get the least votes. . .

Just a thought.

• bena says:

There have been occasions where I thought the person going home was not the person who got the least votes. I do believe TPTB manipulate the outcome to suit their own agenda at times.

• tvchick says:

You are what is wrong with this show!! Seriously!? 18,000 times!? I’m sorry but it has to be said – “Get a LIFE!!!!”

• GingerSnap says:

You know, I didn’t stop my life to do that. Just programmed my cell phone to fire away. That left me free to do other things.
        People complain about the teens voting 3000 times in 2 hours – they are amateurs at this game. My votes were sent in protest to the voting system as it is currently structured. We lost Pia because of it. Crystal B lost last season because of it. If Idol doesn’t want a few megavoters controlling the outcome of the show, TPTB at Idol need to change the system.

• Jeannie says:

I’m sorry.. I do think it’s still a little creepy and weird that people (including you) care THAT much about the show to vote 18000 times.

• Annoula says:

Just to clarify, you decided to make a statement about the fact that Pia and Crystal left by voting for all the guys? I’m not criticizing you; I’m just trying to understand the message you’re trying to send. You voted for all the guys so another girl would go home; that in turn would get the powers that be to understand that all the girls are leaving? (I do think they’ve gotten that message at this point.) If this is your goal, it may be more effective to direct those votes towards a male or two that’s already been in the bottom, so that he or they beat Haley. (However, I don’t want Haley to go, so please take this only as an example of strategy, not a recommendation.)

Seriously though, if you’re going to power-vote all intense like that, why don’t you vote for someone you like? Unless of course you don’t like anyone now that Pia is gone, in which case, stop watching and stop power-voting, because all you’re doing is boosting the system of which you so strongly disapprove.

• Lee says:

Please explain to me how you power voted 18,000 times in 2 hours. TIA.

• GingerSnap says:

I have unlimited text messaging from AT&T, my cell phone is a Galaxy Captivate ($29 on That’s a Android phone, but you can probably do this from an iPhone. Download a little app (you can find them for free) that automatically fires an SMS message every second. Program in multiple short codes (5701, 5702 for example) and the word “Vote”. Tell it when to start, and how many repetitions you want, and it will fire away every second. Last night I set it up to vote for every guy. That’s 6 guys. The potential is 42,000 votes in 2 hours, but only 18,000 got through. I didn’t get it started until 8 minutes after the show was over, so I potentially could have sent more. But I was impressed with that.
        I also have a Netbook with a GSM modem. If I set that up with unlimited text messaging, I could potentially double my votes.

• Leslie says:

Wow, impressive!

• Mimi says:

The company that tallies the votes can see the numbers where votes are coming from, and they’ve said that they disqualify votes from power texters, or those who are using certain equipment to log a massive amount of votes.

• marie says:

I’d actually be surprised if they “disqualified” any votes: after all, Idol WANTS those votes, they LOVE to announce that “this week we got 388 skillion gazillion bajillion votes”and all that.

• Mick says:

That IS impressive. I’m looking at the iTunes App store now!

• tony says:

Oh wow Ginger – can you do it for Stefano next week? Please, pretty please.

• Jeannie says:

Proving that this show has ZERO to do with talent. It’s all about who is most motivated to manipulate technology.

Man.. I liked Paul but I don’t care enough about the show to vote even once.. nevermind 18000 times. No wonder my favorites never win!

• Tracy says:

I read this comment yesterday and its been bothering me since. 18,000 times! No offense to your taste or whoever you voted for Gingersnap, but I think there is a real problem with the concept of the show when one person can vote 18,000 times. That means there is no point in the rest of us who vote 10 or 20 or 100 times to bother. I’m ok with the American public having different taste than me, but I’m not ok with a system where some people have the ability to make the rest of our votes essentially meaningless. They might as well make us pay for each vote we cast. I was never naive enough to think it was a “democratic” process, but I’m disgusted with this level of imbalance.

• lily says:

I agree- why bother voting since my votes are like a needle in a haystack compared to the techno voters. The votes should truly be limited to make it fair. It is a sham.

• hooch says:

I think a lot of you are missing GingerSnap’s point. He/She isn’t voting because they love the person they voted for that much, they said it was done to protest the voting system – and I think that is totally awesome EXCEPT…
      The AI website says :
      “Q: What’s being done about power dialing? A: The American Idol voting process is administered and carefully monitored by an independent vote management company. The producers, in consultation with this independent vote management company, reserve the right to remove so-called “power dialing votes” (via toll-free, AT&T text messaging or online) that are identified as having been cast in such a significant block, either by technical enhancements or otherwise, that it could unfairly influence the outcome of the voting.”
      Not sure it it’s true or not, but that could mean your votes didn’t count.
      I still think they should either limit the votes per phone line or charge for votes.
      And I think the judges should choose who gets to stay of the bottom 2, up until say – the top 5.

• djm says:

Sorry Hooch – I have ZERO faith in these 3 judges to do the right thing. The producers should either limit the amount of votes or leave it the way it is – the contestants all have the same opportunities and whoever gets the lowest votes should go home. It forces the contestants to bring it each week – because let’s face it, if Pia, Scotty and Lauren had all been in the bottom 3 that week everyone would have screamed no matter who the judges picked.

3. Sam says:

Haley. And Casey. Singing Moanin’. I don’t care if both of them take dumps on stage for the next 3 weeks, I want to see them duet in the Top 4.

• Jessabean says:

the quote of the night!!

last night, i was trying to explain to my friends that I don’t care if Haley …. I was voting for her, only I couldn’t come up with anything. I had to settle for a huff and dial. Thank you! I’m ready for next week!

• GingerSnap says:

Haley should sing this style all the time. It’s the first time I actually enjoyed her singing. Anyone doubt Haley and Casey are dating.

Couldn’t help but notice that Kelly C didn’t do a whole lot of moving around up there – some people might call that boring.

• Eva says:

@GingerSnap Considering the fact that she’s had a career since 2002 and has shown time and again that not only can she sing but she’s a true artist! Kelly can just stand there, not sing and still blow Pia out of the water.

• GingerSnap says:

I also noticed that JHudson didn’t do a whole lot of moving around the other night on DWTS. Some people might call that boring . . .

• Chicken says:

It’s hard to move when your butt is so big… Truth is she is incapable of moving!!

• Eolra says:

I’m really hoping Haley DOESN’T sing “that style” all the time- the last thing we need is another contestant just “staying in a lane” and hoping for a gold star. I hope that Haley recognizes that what made this performance great was NOT that is was “jazz”, but that it was because she was relaxed, not trying too hard, and kept her growling as enhancing “seasoning” and not the “main course”!

• Jane says:

I think her dress was too tight for her to do much moving around.

• Sharon says:

That was incredible. I wish they could sing together every week.

• RTW says:

My thoughts exactly! I thought they were both outstanding and really, really happy we’ll be seeing those two again next week. Finally, a results night where I don’t feel like crap afterwards – last week has been pretty stressful.

• Carolyn says:

I’d by their album if they put out a duet album. Also I think she’d do a great job on Joss Stone or Adele. I was impressed with her scatting that is not easy.

• B.Rich says:

The best performance of the season came in a results night group number?! What, REALLY? To quote Randy, damn Haley we didn’t know you had ALL of that. We got a hot one!

• Mick says:

Now that was a true American Idol Moment!

• tv lover says:

so agree – that’s only the second song this season i’ve felt like buying on itunes (first was ‘bennie & the jets’) – more of that, please!

• Shannon says:

Love it!
      I still don’t understand how Haley considered herself a Debbie Harry after two great weeks of excellent jazz/blues rock performances. Plus, there are assorted YouTube videos of her performing jazz songs at various family gatherings and such. You’re a jazz singer, Haley! Don’t water yourself down for the sake of some stupid theme! It washes out your jazzy flavor almost completely!
      As for Casey and his bassy, both of them should stick to upbeat, funky jazz like “I Don’t Need No Doctor”. Last night was interesting, but a little creepy…

4. Carl says:

Paul should go back to The Grand Magnolias and rock it out with the band. I think it’s the best for his career.

• Jen says:

I agree! I got his album a while ago and I have been really enjoying it. I think he sounds better singing his own songs rather than covers.

• Kim says:

I liked Paul, but I loved Paul when singing with Kendra. Paul’s voice is unique, very raspy, a very cool sound. To quote Tyler, he is the “perfect imperfect boy” vocally. I think Paul’s biggest problem was not taking a song and making it his own. As a musician/artist, I was waiting for something amazing from him. Nothing quite hit the mark. I believe Jimmy I. said that Paul was an artist that was meant to sing his own music. From what I have seen from Paul’s Idol run, I would have to agree. The authentic Paul is clearly seen in the duet with Kendra. I don’t think he ever really showed up on the Idol stage.

5. agrimesy says:

FINALLY! America got it right! Yes, Haley doin’ jazz! Loved Kelly soooooo much! Best Idol “winner” ever! Even Rihanna was good! GO GO GO girls! I haven’t been this excited about Idol all season. AND it’s a results show! What’s going on! LOL! :)

6. darcy's evil twin says:

I really, really tried to like Paul. And I do like Paul – I just don’t think he’s the type of performer that’s suited for the big Idol stage.

Still wish Jacob had gone home!

At any rate, I’m not a huge fan of either Lauren or Scotty, but when they sing together I really enjoy them! What’s that about?
    And Casey and Haley were wonderful. Wow! Haley truly displayed some chops on that song.
    I also enjoyed the guys singing together!

• Blair says:

Why does everyone seem to be surprised at how well Haley can sing and perform? Well, perhaps it’s because they have bought into the hype that the judges and producers of idol are selling by, for one thing, trying to make us believe she has the least amount of talent because obviously, she is the only one deserving of criticism from the judges, apparently. The girl can definitely saaaang, and is one of the more interesting contestants left on the show! Give her a chance!

• AllieK says:

Here, here! Haley rocks, and she has rocked for weeks. She had me at “Blue,” and I loved “Bennie and the Jets.” Last night wasn’t her best, but the girl can frickin’ sing. And she’s unpredictable and has so much fun with her performances.

7. Bob says:

Bad night. Paul is different and talented. Stefano is vanilla and Jacob doesn’t sing, he screams. Enough of these two already.

8. Robin says:

Not surprised it was Paul, even though I was hoping Stefano or Jacob would be gone. I’m so happy Haley is still here, though.

9. Jenjene says:

Finally!!! Paul may be great with his band, but as a solo artist he was soooo not good. The Casey/Haley duet was wonderful…

10. kakuyper says:

No way… Jacob and stefano totally deserved to go home before Paul. I hope he continues to make beautiful music. I feel like he was one of the few interesting and unique contestants left.

11. LadyBug979 says:

Should’ve been Haley!!

12. Micaela says:

Yesterday, when I saw Paul dancing around horrendously, wearing that awful suit and singing like a drunk/high moron I knew he was going home. But I still don’t understand why America hates Stefano. Am I the only one who still likes him?

• GingerSnap says:

He sang a boys’ band song. That’s what he is – a front man for a boys’ band. I’ve never cared for that type of singer.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Micaela – I like Stefano, but he’s like a Jell-O salad that’s not…quite…set. I think he has nice, solid vocals but he needs some training on interpretation and presentation. Some people are annoyed by his pronunciation and I think he can work on that as well.

• Eolra says:

He is appealing, but he is totally stagnating. He is choosing the same type of song over and over again, and each time only netting mediocre results – always nice, but never anything special. I think he has it in him, but he needs to really step it up and show something special for people to take notice. There are lots of appealing guys with nice voices – he needs to show he is a star.

• Anne says:

I like Stefano. He just needs more confidence in his talent.

13. Ana says:

I actually loved Paul, and he is probably the only one I would buy a record from, but he did not sing well last night and for that kind of deserved to go home. But the truth is I really, really wished America sent the Lusky Stank home. For me he is the worst week after week. I just don’t get the love…

• Brittany says:

Amen. Love Paul, knew he didn’t perform well. Wish it had been Jacob and Stefano before him.

• Amanda says:

This is my feeling exactly! Paul’s song choice and performance last night weren’t great at all and I even though Paul was my favourite contestant I can admit it wasn’t all that great last night. But that being said, why the hell didn’t Stefano and Jacob go before him? I’m sorry but the fact that Jacob wasn’t even in the bottom three blows my mind! I’m not apart of this Haley bandwagon like most of the commenters and Michael Slezak are, but that girl wasn’t bad enough to be in the bottom three, let alone have Jacob safe and her not. The judges can be thanked for that by trying to sabotage one of the few female contestants left and not judging anyone else. Even I thought it was ridiculous when no one called Paul out on his performance. I’m honestly thinking of not watching Idol anymore this season and not because Pia went home and not because my favourite Idol is now eliminated(though I knew he had only a few weeks left if that) it’s because of the lack of judging. I’ll sit through awful, karaoke covers of songs I like, I’m willing to do that, but at least call them out on it. You don’t have to be Simon Cowell, but it’s called “constructive” criticism for a reason, so these kids can build on it! And I’m not talking about the kind of constructive criticism that involves Jimmy Iovine and Will.I.Am. Seriously, where the hell are the real mentors? Ugh, this season just feels like total crap. I was so sure the judges would have picked up on all the media coverage from last week about how maybe the judges weren’t judging and that’s why Pia was gone. You’d think that would be the kick in the ass but obviously it was. I’m sorry JLO but your gorgeous outfits and pretty hair are not enough to keep me busy during Idol anymore.

• Ana says:

I totally agree. I’m not really in the mood to keep watching Idol this season, and it is specially because of the lack of judging. When I saw the wednesday show on DVR I actually fast forwarded the judges part.

14. token arrested developmnet family memeber's name says:

Paul was the overmeyer of the season, I’m a fan of his and Im really happy he didn’t put out a crappy version of his music with 19 He can go back to his band and do things his way.

And he better call up Kendra RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Raya says:

Though I’m a big Paul fan, I kinda saw it coming after last night. And I’m surprisingly content with it. Paul is a great artist, but he’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I also get the feeling that he’s not all that comfortable singing cover tunes and everything. Now he can go back to his band and make great music like they used to and I’ll still be following! :D

16. terri says:

17. darcy's evil twin says:

So, Rhianna has sold 30 million albums?

Well, that solves the mystery as to who is voting for Jacob!

• Eolra says:

I don’t get it. Rhianna and Jacob have TOTALLY different music styles. Did you mean because they both have fans with bad taste?

• darcy's evil twin says:

Yes – they both have fans with bad taste.
        Jacob can actually sing – he just needs to keep it under control. I’ve enjoyed a couple of his performances.
        As for Rhianna…well, I don’t get it. Maybe it’s my age.

18. Aimee says:

I loved Paul. He was highly entertaining. I agree, somewhat, that he had gone about as far as he could in this competition, but I will miss him dearly and the show will be quite boring without him.

Hope his band gets signed, they’re awesome!

19. tyler says:

i have a feeling paul will do really well outside of idol. it seems like he already knows what kind of artist he is and with american idol top 8 under his belt and a good album with his band. he will do well. sad to see him go over jacob and scotty.

anyways. HALEY!!!!! that is all.

20. MrSideEye says:

-HAY-LEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! I need her to sing something like that next week!The performance was great!!!! (Can this be the final 2 please!?)
    -2nd duet from McLaina. Next week I wouldn’t be surprised if they got fireworks and a choir. *eyeroll* I can’t hate too much though because they sounded good.
    -The Four Amigos…………… Train wreck.

21. Sean D says:

Something I must confess: In my wildest fantasies, the top two for this season is Stefano Langone and Haley Reinhart, with Haley winning it. So, needless to say, this week’s bottom three had me worried.

• IdolIdol says:

I AGREE SEAN!!!

I would LOVE to see Hailey as the winner. Hailey’s win would be such an amazing surprise over boring Lauren. My hope is that the Simon Lythgo and others don’t sabotage Hailey’s win

• Amelia says:

The results must have been very worrying then!
      I have a strong fear that Hayley will go home next week before either Casey or Stefano… that wouldn’t be fair.

• SharonM says:

Oh I don’t know about that after her performance with Casey tonight. America may want to see more of what she can do now.

• LynnieG says:

I agree totally! Haley was simply sensational tonight. I’ve enjoyed her for weeks now. I hope tonight convinces other voters that she’s worth sticking with. The girl has a VOICE!!!

• Sally says:

Hailey has stage personality….and I can hear Simon saying to Pia — “we don’t know who you are”….and he would be right….but Hailey, we get.

22. cathiran says:

I hope like heck Paul and Kendra record that song..I’d buy it in a heartbeat over anything the remaining idols put out.

23. Buggys says:

I really enjoyed Paul week after week. I never thought he was the strongest contender but I really think Jacob, then Stefano needed to go home before him. I have been hoping for a Casey/Haley duet and it was even better than I hoped!

24. Kathy says:

I love Paul but it was probably best he was eliminated before he started feeling the hate directed at him for still being there after fan favorites had left. I think he got further than he ever expected and probably did some great networking and deal making during his run. And America knows his name. He will be fine!

• Eolra says:

I agree. I don’t know that he will ever be the kind of artist that will sell out stadiums, but I think he probably got the kind of exposure needed for giving a running start to a solid career with his band (by solid career, I mean at least not having to have a day-job, with is more than you can say for 98% of musicians out there). Who knows, he may even be able to use this as a jumping block to real success.

• Sally says:

Paul is probably glad and relieved to be going….he always impressed me as a man who only did this to get pub for his band….and to get closer to the movers and shakers in the business….He said in his autobio that he wanted to play the festivals…but I can imagine the rigors of the schedule just wasn’t his thing.

25. Steve says:

Jacob needed to goooooooo.
    I was pissed he wasn’t in the bottom 3 this week. Ugh.

• Mary says:

Oh man, Steve, you have that right. He is too full of himself, and his caterwaulering is extremely hard to take. He can’t hit a single note.

26. Sean D says:

‘Moanin” was incredible! Well, the middle of it. Hahaha Casey sounded unrecognizably terrible opening the song, and it seemed like they….didn’t even bother to rehearse an ending. But the scatting and harmonization was so, so good. And Haley? Lawd, my heart. She was perfection.

27. Lambchop says:

At this point, Paul was just cannon fodder – heck at this point, without Pia, they are all cannon fodder!!!

28. Libby says:

Paul is my favorite Idol ever – I just like his quirky style and acknowledge that’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I knew he couldn’t win, but had hoped he’d stay around a few more weeks. He has already won what he needed from this experience. I now know who The Grand Magnolias are and have purchased the group’s album on Itunes. And Paul’s the only one of the contestants I’d pay to see in concert. It’s a win-win.

29. sara says:

Who on earth is voting for Jacob? Not even in bottom 3?!

30. Heelarryous says:

Yes, the right wannabe went home! Buh-bye Paul and ur wonky dance and typing correction fluid beautiful white teeth! We’ll miss ur cute Bradley Cooper-ish bearded face but that’s about it! I actually enjoyed Haley and casey’s jazzy duet keeping their growls to a minimum. Good to see Kelly Clarkson show ’em

31. Sasha says:

Why is Kelly Clarkson so under-appreciated?

I loved her!

She sang amazing! Totally cool and calm and she hit all the right notes!

32. JenniferForPresident says:

33. Heelarryous says:

show ’em how it’s done. Until next week…

34. Sharona says:

When oh when will Jacob ever go home! He’s way overdue to pack his bags and get outta town. My dream Finale would be Casey and Haley (like that’s gonna happen) because I am a huge fan of jazz. But the little tweenies with their power voting will make sure Scotty wins. Unfortunately. Just gag me.

• JBanana says:

you said it, Sharona. Casey and Haley are totally my favorites, too. (Actually, the only ones I really like at all… ) but Scotty will win.

• Lana says:

Its not just tweens who are voting for Scotty. He has the type of voice I have always loved so of course I will continue voting for him. I thought all the singing was great tonight, I even loved the boys band but that maybe due to their singing my very, very favorite song “Sounds of Silence” haha I will miss Paul’s wonderful smile and that freaky way of dancing, but his voice was not as strong as those left in the competition so its no surprise that he went tonight. Man I don’t know if my spelling is off, I can’t find my spell check so forgive my errors.

35. Luke says:

Every time you ask should the save still be there I feel the need to respond. NO-O-O-O!!! Casey (and now Haley) are the only reason I stay interested. And Idoloonies.

36. DougH says:

Sorry to see Paul go. Not sad for him…he’ll be fine. Just disappointed I won’t be hearing him on Idol anymore. And his smile just made me want to smile. Other than Jacob, I’ll be sad to lose each departing contestant from this point on, because I’ve enjoyed moments from all of them this season. Jacob is talented, and I’ve enjoyed some of his stuff, but for some reason, I haven’t felt the connection.

37. avonjax says:

My ears have been saved. Has been my bottom pick for weeks. I just hope Haley picked up some ground for her spectacular performance with Casey tonight. She was great. Not only do I like her vocals but I love her attitude. Same for Stefano. He’s one of my favorites, but the poor guy spends most of his time in the bottom 3, even though last night I thought he was second best. Oh well. I hope Haley and Stefano stick around for a while longer.

38. Christina says:

The right one definitely went home this week. Hopefully Jacob and Stefano follow him out the door in the next two weeks!

39. Mike M says:

Stefano and Jacob go home next, and that gets us down to the final five. Scotty, Lauren and James will be the final three. I’ve thought that for several weeks and see nothing to make me change my mind.

40. scorpo says:

How in the hell is Jacob surviving each week! I don’t get it. Ok, gotta go look at myself in the mirror.

41. Treyburne says:

Looking over the comments, I’m seeing a lot od folka saying they would pay, as I would, to see Paul. I hope Idol & agents are seeing this too. Paul was the only one with a distinctive voice and commanding stage presence. Understandably some folks didn’t care for him. Some folks don’t care for Mic Jagger or Rod Stewart. A lot of folks will pay to see him perform, listen on the radio and buy his CD. This has been a great year for Idol!

42. Tanya says:

Just paving the way for another cookie cutter pop or country singer to win! Didnt think Paul would win (and would prefer it so he and his band the Grand Magnolias can release their own stuff) but he certainly should have stayed longer than Jacob and stefano. Pia too for that matter.

43. VeeKay says:

Would love to see Jacob or Hayley go..Liked Paul but I understand why he I sort of don’t like Casey..and James is a showman, for sure…Stefano , nice voice..predictable and safe, and always the same, no action…no personality..just..nice voice

44. cliff says:

America finally got it right. I never understood why Paul got this far. He has no voice, unless you consider Kermit or the Chipmunks vocal stylists.

• Leslie Lansdowne-Cremeens says:

Actually Kermit and the Chipmunks have both sold millions of albums. It’s not easy being green—with envy. Paul ROCKS!

45. AJ says:

If Haley would come out and do what she did tonight every week, she could outlast Lauren in this competition.

46. Joseph says:

For a small stage show Paul could work well. He has a good attitude and his strange behavior would be entertaining. But for all his strengths Paul does not translate very well to the small screen or based on the vote connect well with young female teens.

• Brittany says:

Exactly, he’s got a different style of voice and dress and a personality that really didn’t fit well with Idol. A lot of people said he didn’t seem like he cared, and he probably really didn’t. He’s comfortable on the stage, but I think he knew Idol wasn’t the best fit for him and thus was happy to make it as far as he did. He also came right out and said he was dating the chick from Twilight, so that would probably turn all teenagers against him because he wasn’t “available” and raising his eyebrows and flirting with the camera like another dude on the show (if anything he creeped them out with his whisper, haha!). I’m glad he didn’t cater to that kind of crowd, and like others have said, he has done what he needs to do. He got his name out there and he never wanted to win Idol and probably never could. Go Paul!

47. Tekkie says:

I think Jacob should have been in the bottom 3 instead of Tony Danza UH Stefano. He stepped up while Jacob has stagnated in the screeching well! Regardless, Paul had already peaked, so that’s fine.

I really don’t like Hayley, but she sounded good with the musical Wookie!

Loved the duet with Kelly and the invisible man…aka Jason Aldean. My son said the barefoot guy should put shoes on in the band.

48. hernameisrio says:

Haley rocked. The judges have been giving her bad advice, to go the Janis Joplin route. It would have been a crime if she went home and I hope she does something jazzy next week.

49. Jamie says:

Has anyone checked out Paul’s band, The Grand Magnolias? Look up their video for “Heartbreak” on Youtube. 559032892093 times better than anything he did on Idol.

Also, I really wanted to see all the contestants watching Kelly’s performance with notebooks in their laps. She’s about as good as it gets.

50. IdolIdol says:

I agree Sean

I’ve recognized Hailey’s talent since this season began, when others did not get her

Next week I would love to hear Hailey sing to an acoustic guitar or sing a slow jazz piano tune and turn down the growl just to prove her technical prowess
    A HAILEY win would be so exciting over the Lythgo favorite and very boring Lauren

• claudia says:

I agree, she’s been one of my favs from the start & now she’s my absolute fav. I was steaming last night when the judges gave everyone a pass except Haley. If she had gone home tonight I would have been thru with this season. There is no one else that I care about winning except maybe James. I think Haley has the most potential at this point. Lauren isn’t ready, she’s still a scared little girl up there. Scotty may have a career. I can’t judge because I’m not fond of country but he sounds mediocre to me. Jacob is OTT screechy & Casey is a fabulous musician but his voice is pretty weak. Stephano is too kareoke.