Matt's Inside Line: Scoop On the NCIS Eyeball, Good Wife Heartbreak, Smallville and More

Got the Monday blahs? Let’s see if I can perk up the start of your week with a flurry of scoops, teases and sound bites from some of TV’s hottest shows and stars.

NCIS First Look: The New Team Moves In!

NC-Eye-S | The eyeball that popped up at the end of last week’s NCIS, are you assuming it came from one of the Port-to-Port Killer’s already found victims? Think again – and brace for the worst. In this Tuesday’s episode of CBS’ hit drama, the identity of the orb’s owner will be explored, and as Sarah Jane Morris (EJ) teases, “It’s someone that deep fans of the show will definitely recognize when we reveal it.” In fact, you’ve already got one clue: “I dont know if you noticed,” says Morris, “but the eyeball was blue, so….”

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on The Good Wife, Glee and More

A Good Wife‘s Bad News | During a feature interview I conducted this morning with The Good Wife‘s Alan Cumming, I asked if Alicia learning about Peter bedding Kalinda arrives at a bad time for the campaign. After noting there’s “never a good time” for such a bombshell, Cumming went on to preview the reveal itself, which he happened to watch during a Sunday ADR session. “It’s really heartbreaking, actually. Devastating. I was all teary,” he shared. “Alicia has been this steely woman, and then this thing happens…. You finally see her crack.”

Tom Welling, Other Smallville Stars Flash Back to the Pilot

With Great Power Comes…. | When “Smallville”‘s Lois gets introduced to the AI incarnation of Clark’s bio-dad in the episode preceding the May 13 series finale, it’s not a moment taken at all lightly. After all, says show runner Kelly Souders, “Meeting the soon-to-be in-law is not always the easiest moment in a person’s life!” But things must go somewhat well, since (as TVLine first reported) Jor-El will bestow upon his son’s would-be bride superpowers for a day. “To walk a mile in Clark’s shoes teaches Lois a few things” — one of which is to be very wary of Kryptonians bearing gifts. As Souders teases, “Every little gift from Jor-Eel has some consquences….”

Private Practice Finale Scoop! | Speaking with TVLine at the College TV Awards, KaDee Strickland was tight-lipped about what sort of character Benjamin Bratt will be playing when he joins the cast of ABC’s Private Practice starting with the May 19 season finale. “I can say there’s nobody like him on the show,” she teased. “You’ll just have to watch Mr. Benjamin Bratt turn up to figure out [the rest].” As for the season-ender itself, Strickland says to expect “a lot a loose ends, which is great. It’s going to be a very new year for us next [season].”

A Justified Killing: Burning Questions Answered!

Justified: Wynning! | Fans of FX’s Justified hoping for a bigger taste of the oft-mentioned “Dixie Mafia” will get their wish when Jere Burns reprises his role of Frankfort mob boss Wynn Duffy next week. “He plays a pivotal role,” promises exec producer Graham Yost.

Diddy Heats Up Hawaii | Rapper Sean Combs and model Selita Ebanks appear on Hawaii Five-0 next week, playing a NYPD detective and his wife, who is the target of vengeful criminals. But before any war is declared by the visiting lawman, he makes time for lovin’ — and that caught one of the guest stars off guard! Having only met Combs on occasion prior to the CBS drama, Ebanks says, “It was very awkward, because there was a love scene — my first ever! I was like, ‘No, no, can’t we warm up with other scenes first?’” That awkward intro aside, Ebanks came away with raves for Alex O’Loughlin & Co.: “The energy on set was so refreshing, so happy…. They gave me really great pointers, and I learned so much.”

Casting About | At the TV Land Awards ceremony airing next Sunday, Michael Gross (of the reunited Family Ties cast) would only say of his upcoming Curb Your Enthusiasm role that he’s playing Larry David’s dermatologist, while Christine Ebersole (Retired at 35) confirmed that she will put in another appearance as Royal Pains‘ Mrs. Newberg in the first episode of Season 3.

If there’s a show or hot topic you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around. (With reporting by Vlada Gelman and Chloe Melas)

1. Michael Sacal says:

Jor-El’s gift will make Lois biologically compatible with Clark so that she, a human, and he, a Kryptonian, can procreate because what would be the point of sending Kal-El to Earth to escape Krypton’s destruction if he can’t reproduce with the native population, right?

• John Berggren says:

This would be a brilliant concept. Especially since they don’t have enough new episodes to actually explore the superbaby thing that half-ruined Superman Returns.

• laz says:

well the last time these EP of smallville said be wary of bearing gifts from someone conner kent got a dose of red k now i just wonder what lois would be like on red k.well since she is going to be mad at clark and tess in the eps before this one. if i was tess i would find a lead bunker and hide but what if lois finds out about clark luthor and tess then jeff the intern better run or he will get more then a kiss these time around.

• Bonnie says:

Maybe Lois will accidentally kill Tess! That would be epic! At least get payback for all the lousy things that Tess has done to her over the past couple of years! I only slightly disliked the Tess character before, now I freaking loathe her! The sooner she’s off my TV screen the sooner!

• Bonnie says:

The sooner she’s off my TV screen the sooner!…the sooner I’ll actually enjoy watching the entire episodes again! For the time being the mute button is pretty handy whenever Tess is on screen!

• Michael Sacal says:

In the old comics, pre 85, Superman had two descendants in the Legion of Super-Heroes – Laurel Kent and Kent Shakespeare – that had to come from somewhere.

What better place than his marriage with Lois, right?

• laz says:

and yes i think a kryptonian wedding will take place at the end of the eps.I think jor-EL will want it that way before the human wedding in the last eps and i also think he will give lois aka LO-EL her new kryptonian name a parament gift of powers so she can live as long as clark and the test when he gives her powers the first time is to she if can handly it.

• Michael Sacal says:

In the 70s, the Golden Age Superman and Lois got married in his secret citadel (the GA/Earth 2 version of the fortress). If I remember correctly (from reading the story in a trade, not when it came out, of course), theirs was a Kryptonian wedding, not a human wedding.

It be interesting if that were to happen in Smallville.

2. Sarah says:

They better be saying that Gibbs lost an eye!

3. Sarah says:

They better be saying Gibbs lost an eye!

4. sima says:

The NCIS scoop has me scared tha it could be gibbs’ dad… or fornell..fornell and gibbs have had some close touching moments of late too…. I can’t think of anyone else we haven’t seen in awhile that has blue eyes. Palmer and ducky are in the screenshots so the r safe….

5. sima says:

Or tonys dad! Yikes!

6. Sarah says:

And my posts totally came off the wrong way. It was missing a “not” in there somewhere. It can’t be Tony because he was at the bar with Ziva. I didn’t think about it being Fornell or Daddy DiNozzo. I don’t think it would be Gibbs’ dad though. we havent’ een him in a while and besides, the P2P is only going after navy officers.

7. Clarissa says:

NCIS eyeball: it has to be Trent Kort. I don’t think they’d do that to Gibbs dad, and we know it’s none of the regulars. I don’t know who else it could be. Too bad, I liked Kort.

Maybe it’s Jenny’s corpse’s eyes.

8. Chris says:

My bet for the owner of the eye will be Jeanne Benoit. Longshot would be Colonel Mann, but can’t remember if her eyes were blue or not.

9. Alicia says:

Regarding the NCIS hint “deep fans of the show will definitely recognize when we reveal it”; wonder if that means its someone obscure/from the past? Because if the eye belongs one of the cast regulars then does a viewer really need to be a “deep fan” to recognize it?
    Though, if it actually does belong to a cast member, who is “disposable” enough (with blue eyes) to be the victim? Obviously it’s not Gibbs, Abby, Ducky, Tony or McGee (the last 2 might have green eyes anyway); that leaves Palmer, Franks, Fornell and Kort…
    But if it doesn’t belong to one of the show’s cast/regular guests who does that leave of any significance? M.Allison Hart? She’s the only person with baby blues (and who got under Gibbs’ skin) who stands out in my memory. Really could be anybody :/

10. Vader says:

Maybe it’s Paula Cassidy’s eye? We just *thought* she was dead.

11. Seon says:

NCIS eyball: My guesses:

IMO most likely: Tom Morrow (the former NCIS director) or Hollis Mann (former Army CID) or maybe one of Gibbs’ exes or the “mysterious red-haired woman” from Season 1-3.

Because of the “… deep fans of the show …” it’s most likely a (minor??) character from the early seasons.

• Svenja says:

I agree…

My money is on Morrow…

other possible candidates are Chad Dunham and Damon Werth…
      I think the victim has to be an NCIS employee or a former NCIS employee…but well, which would fit Morrow or Dunham…

Kort appears in the finale, so it cannot be him.

• Jill says:

Ohh, it’d be kind of cool if it was Gibbs’ mysterious redhead. Maybe then we’d finally find out who she was.

My initial thought was Jackson, but I hope I’m wrong. I’d like to think they wouldn’t have saved him at the end of last season only to kill him now. Tom Morrow is a good thought too, although this is NCIS, and they only kill women, so maybe both of those are wrong.

• schokokaffee says:

Ok I might be totally wrong but in season two (kate was still on the team)a set of blue eyes was mailed to the wrong person. Part of the Team had to travel (don’t shoot me I can remember where exactly) to south america. the murderer was an espionage teacher. I think the guy was shot in the end but things are a bit blurry.

12. just me says:

The fact that the drink was explicit for Tony could indicate that the eyeball is from someone with a former close connection to Tony. Could be Jeanne Benoit.

13. Norma says:

I’m afraid it’s Mike Franks. Hate to see him go, though.

• Blix says:

Muse Watson, the actor who plays Mike Franks has brown eyes, so it’s not him, although we’re supposed to be seeing him sometime during the finale arc.

14. NCIS Fan says:

Jeanne didn’t have blue eyes, at least the actress playing her didn’t. Plus, she doesn’t fit the profile of the other victims.

15. laz says:

I am calling now supergirls only scenes are with lois it says wery of kryptonians with gifts meaning more then one kryptonian cause there’s a S on the end of the word kryptonians.

16. Booger says:

Folks who are still alive whose eye it could be:

1. Trent Kort (but I think I read he’s teaming up with Gibbs and Franks)
    2. Hollis Mann (she went off to HI which is a port)
    3. Jimmy Palmer (he’s a great actor and such, but he’s still a minor part of the team)
    4. Thomas Morrow (the 1st NCIS director and he’s older like the frozen victim)
    5. M. Allison Hart (Gibbs’ latest love interest)
    6. Jeanne Benoit (long shot)
    7. Tobias Fornell (Gibbs’ bestie- could give him an extra edge in battling EJ and they’ve grown closer recently)
    8. Chad Dunham (his NCIS station is in Africa at a port city)
    9. Holly Snow (the ex madam also a long shot as a girl)
    10. EJ Barrett (kill a %itch already)

• Mikos says:

Good list Booger.

I’d throw out Palmer, Fornell and Barrett because I don’t think you have to be a “deep” fan of the show to know who they are.

And I’d doubt Jeanne Benoit because that would be WAY too personally directed at Tony.

Morrow as an NCIS director fits well. And Hart, though not in the military does represent military folk, and damn but Rena Sofer has blue eyes.

17. Booger says:

My vote is for Fornell. Hate it, but Tobias is about as close to a brother that Gibbs has. BTW, NCIS Fan- yes, the actress who plays Jeanne Benoit has bright blue eyes.

• NCIS fan says:

I just checked the first pic I saw online and they were green, perhaps someone had altered them. My bad. I still don’t think it would be her because she is not in the Navy or any military.

18. Sara Black says:

My bet for the eyeball owner is for Damon Werth. Blue eyes Paul Telfer’s (well, it depends with light, but everywhere say “blue eyes”)chracter was a marine, so I think he’s in the P2P killer’s profile.

19. Tiva4Life says:

NCIS- Please not Fornell!

Smallville- to live longer or to have Clark’s babies.

20. Gangst says:

It could be Chad Dunham’s eye. And Hollis Mann was army, not navy.

21. Jennifer says:

First of all if it is “Navy” related that should leave out Hollis (Army), Fornell (FBI, Civilian), Malicious (Civilian, Lawyer), Holly Snow (Civilian), Trent Kort (CIA, Civilian), Jeanne Benoit (Civilian), Jimmy Palmer (Civilian Employee with NCIS)

So the only possibilites

Chad
    Damon

• Lyss says:

But the P2P killer seems to now be targeting NCIS… so they would target not only Navy but people close to them… BTW, LMAO on Malicious, she is! I hope your wrong just so it will be her eye!

22. Gus says:

It better not be Tony Seniors eye!

23. Magickster says:

Does the victim have to currently be in the Navy?? It would be easy to say a character was previously linked to the Navy, even if we never knew it. Besides, don’t these things always send up being NOT what we think?? The show wants fans to get thinking and come up with great conspiracies (kinda fun though), then they drop the AVERAGE truth.
    The eyeball will probably be a character we remember (DUH – Unless you have amnesia you’ll remember a lot of people but that doesn’t make them important)but they won’t be so important that the team will cry over it.
    Put it this way, who can be missed?? Which character is no big deal and can be killed off??

24. Bridge says:

As far as the Eyeball, i think it is Trent Kort. Did anyone else read into the clue about “deep fans”. Don’t know why but my first thought was that he was “deep” undercover. Plus, after looking it up, he does have blue eyes.

25. Lyss says:

Maddie Tyler (Gibbs’ daughter’s friend) has blue eyes, so does Breena, Jimmy’s girlfriend. It can honestly be any number of people including the ones already mentioned…

26. dj says:

Both Franks and Kort are going to appear later on to help with the Port to Port killer so it cant be one of them. Maybe they are going way back and its the girl who was there before Katie.

27. Valkyrie says:

I think the eye could belong to McGee’s father. I seem to recall reference to his father being a Naval Officer, and McGee has blue eyes… So it is within reason to think that his Dad might have blue eyes too.

28. spencer says:

It’s Ducky!! Idk if he dies, but he’s the one that loses the eye……

29. MGL says:

Love the Good Wife, but hope she goes running into Will’s arms. The show really needs to spice things up so that it may be renewed (tired of the bubble watch pessimists!).

30. Graymalkin56 says:

Maybe it’ll be Harm Rabb’s eyeball. Going all the way back to JAG!

31. Spycig says:

AFTER HIS FORMER PARTNER’S DEATH IS LINKED TO THE PORT-TO-PORT KILLER, TONY REVISITS HIS DAYS AS A DETECTIVE IN BALTIMORE, ON “NCIS,” TUESDAY, MAY 3

Scott Grimes (“ER” Guest Stars as Tony’s Former Partner, Danny Price
    “Baltimore” — After Tony’s ex-partner, Danny Price, appears to be the Port-to-Port Killer’s latest victim, he revisits his days as a detective in Baltimore, including his first encounter with Gibbs, on NCIS, Tuesday, May 3 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Scott Grimes (“ER” guest stars as Detective Danny Price, Tony’s former partner.

32. Megan says:

How brilliant that would be if the ncis eye ball belonged to Jeanne! I’ve always had a feeling that we would see her again… That would be a great twist. My first thought was that it may belong to that annoying lawyer that gave Gibbs a hard time… She had very blue eyes.

33. colorguard28 says:

I’m guessing the eyeball belong to Stan Burley (S1, High Seas), who was Tony’s predecessor on the MCRT. Joel Gretsch has blue eyes, I believe.

34. Nettie says:

DJ – that would go to “deep fans of the show will definitely recognize” because they never explained what happened to her. Spencer how do you know it’s Ducky? he just signed another contract didn’t he?

35. Robert says:

i am so excited for smallville i am going crazy, i am totally geeking out

36. robert says:

i am so freaking excited for smallville, i love the show its the greatest show ever

37. laz says:

now can we trust matt after he said that clark luthor and tess are going to have sex in the next eps of smallville.

38. Sarah says:

Im thinking its not navy, but in fact, Tony’s old girlfriend while undercover: Jeanne Benoit. if you look at the picture of her eyes here:

They look remarkable similar to the eye that was seen at the end of the episode…

39. sun says:

Matt, I think I luv you! Super-thanks for posting my fave girl-reporter’s picture! I literally screamed when I saw a solo pic of Lois Lane (and no Clarkie!)

Thank you so much for giving us teasers of Smallville! OMG! Last 5 weeks of spoilerage from you! (Btw, as a Spidey fan, love the “With Great Powers Come…”)

40. Suncatcher says:

It better be the CBS “eye” – and no one we (really) like!

41. Linda says:

Lauren Holly also has blue eyes. So maybe Jenny has really been in witness protection all this time and not dead, but now someone killed her for real.

42. Seon says:

A superpowered Lois? I wonder what activates her heatvision …

Erica Durance’s Lois is adorable, fun – just priceless.
    Thank you soooooooooo much for all the years.

43. Sarah says:

So, obviously it is not Jean Benoit, or any other NCIS outsider, but it is someone inside that has MTAC access….

It’d be nice if it was Jenny Shepherd, as it would finally give a GOOD conclusion to her. It never gave a definitive answer as to what happened to her!

44. Ryan says:

OK so we know its someone high up in NCIS to have MTAC access so I’m thinking Jenny Shepard as well, but here is a twist for you, notice how so many of these things seem to be directed at Tony? I think the P2P killer is ………………. Jeanne Benoit

45. Ryan says:

another is that it’s someone from NCIS: Los Angeles

46. The Mama Yada says:

I think the eyeball belongs to one of the two ladies from the episode “Power Down.” That’s the episode where the entire city lost power and we discover that there are 2 people who can open up any iris scanner in the entire world (it was designed as some kind of back door). The one lady was dead (they killed her trying to break into the data center) – and the other one was a Navy commander, Sarah, who at the end of the episode, was still alive.

47. Rose says:

I’m going to lay my bet that the P2P killer is Chip.

My reasons are: Chip has enough skill and background to kill and clean a body up so there are no forensic clues left on it; he hates Tony; he tried before to prove he was smarter than the NCIS people; he has used body parts previously to frame Tony; and he just could be out of prison by now! I think it’s been 4 or 5 years.

If it’s not him then the killer could be anyone, possibly someone we’ve only seen briefly and hasn’t seemed suspicious.

As we know by now, the eye is male, an NCIS employee or someone with high clearance, so I’m going to guess it’s Chad from Chad, who I really liked!

Originally I thought that Jeanne Benoit could be the killer – being a surgeon – but it would take someone strong and possibly large to kill, drag, clean and dump the bodies. Then I thought it could be her eye, and putting her eye in Tony’s drink would be horrific and personal. But maybe the owner of the eye is not as important as that it was hand-delivered to an agent, and is a clue, along the lines of the previous body’s eyes being moved to look towards DC.

48. DeePlantation says:

OK, trying to get the parameters on this thing. Ducky said the eye was from a male, around 30 years old, and he’d had laser surgery. That narrows things a lot. Then, in last Tuesday’s episode the eye activated the door to the Tank. How many people have that clearance with eyeball recognition??? Still could be Col Hollis Mann’s eye.

• DeePlantation says:

Ducky could have got the gender incorrect is what I mean. Also, we are hearing how what occurs will have devastating effects on Gibbs, professionally and personally. Eye part included.

49. bobbobbits says:

Has anyone thought about the eye belonging to ol’ Cheggy? thats what I call admiral chegwidden.
    Aside from good ol’ cheggywidden, it’s got to be Harmon Rabb, the surgery, navy background, age is off a bit, but that can be explained.

• Rose says:

Chegwidden isn’t in his 30s though. I figure if Ducks says it’s a male in his 30s he’s probably right. No point in misleading the audience with that. Also, comments about a deceased person’s eye being preserved and used? I don’t know for sure but I expect there’d be some deterioration and it might not work. Of course the P2P killer wouldn’t know for sure they’d even try to use the eye to open MTAC.

50. gregdormat says:

I KNOW WHO THE PORT TO PORT KILLER IS, AND WHO THE EYE BALL BELONGS TO. THE KILLER IS CLARK PALMER AND THE EYE BELONGS TO HARMON RABB!