Scoop: NBC Taps New Law & Order: SVU Boss

In the strongest indication yet that Law & Order: SVU will see a 13th year, I’m hearing NBC is finalizing a deal with Lights Out exec producer Warren Leight to succeed longtime boss Neal Baer as showrunner next season.

Although NBC has yet to formally renew the veteran procedural, Leight’s hiring suggests the Peacock is feeling very optimistic about the outcome of contract talks with series leads Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay. In fact, insiders tell me that a deal could be inked by week’s end.

Leight is hardly new to the L&O franchise. Prior FX’s Lights Out, he served five years as an exec producer on Law & Order: Criminal Intent. He also spent a season at the helm of HBO’s In Treatment.

In November, Baer — who has been calling the shots at SVU for more than a decade — inked a three-year overall deal with CBS.

1. Esaul says:

Best news ever.

• sosad says:

NBC should just cancel this and get Lights Out, they need a quality show after Friday Night Lights ends.

• Esaul says:

Why would they cancel one of their best scripted dramas for a show that was cancelled by another show that wasn’t getting the ratings/viewership on there? Sounds VERY illogical to me.

• Macky says:

How about they dont cancel it, k sounds good to me, idiot.

• I cannot believe you would not renew Christopher meloni’s contract. AsI have watched this series since it began. I think NBC will be sorry. I sure will hope that the people of NBC change their minds. This is one show everyone I know watches. I don;t know if I will watch it anymore. The star you hired is a joke and putting a woman w/Liv is stupid.Thats it. Marian

2. Becky says:

Leight’s good. A no-nosense show runner. He won’t listen to the E/O fans and he’ll tell stories like they are and how they are meant to be told! “Law & Order: LA” premieres TONIGHT at 9pm/8c on NBC!

3. Nikki says:

This makes me happy lol. SVU can never end…well at least not yet :D

4. Charlene says:

Hey YEAH! I heard that SVU might get renewed for two seasons – season 13 and 14 – if that’s the case; SVU is good. It’s all on Chris and Mariska. I heard B.D. Wong might go pilot, time for Jeremy Irons. And Melissa Sagemiller

• Amber says:

I just love, LOVE the idea of Jeremy Irons becoming the SVU local psychiatrist, but would he have time to do it with filming The Borgias?

• Esaul says:

I doubt he’d be able to do that, with contractual issues, let alone how much it’d cost for someone like Irons to be on more permanently.

5. S.V.U. says:

Gode, I love SVU!.

But, I live in Denmark and don’t have the proper channels, So I’m still Digging into Season 2.

Only two more episodes to go, Though.

6. Clarissa says:

thank god. Now bring back Novak.

7. I hope says:

Good for Warren, I hope he has fun. And I hope that ‘House M.D.’ moves to NBC and takes NBC Wednesdays at 10! I want ‘SVU’ moved back to Tuesdays at 10! I barely catch it on Weds.
    Bring back Jeremy Irons! I WISH ‘SVU’ was renewed for two seasons!

8. Amber says:

This is really great news, I really thought this season would be their last. Now they could make my dreams come true if they brought on Jeremy Irons full-time as the psychiatrist, and Stephanie March as A.D.A. Cabot.

9. Linderella49 says:

Love BD Wong – would hate to see him go, although Jeremy Irons was wonderful. Getting Stephanie March back as Cabot would be awesome. If they could just figure out a way to bring the mothership back – even on USA network – that would be perfect or somehow use SVU as a way to continue to use some of the characters we miss once in a while. One can only hope.

• Nikki (not Finke) says:

I’ve got one, just bring Jeremy Sisto to SVU and replace Stabler or a late replacement for Adam Beach’s Det. Lake. – Could work if the writers do it right.

• angela dawn says:

Are you CRAZY ? Stabler, no one could take his place he is the MAN. I love the whole cast . bring back Cabot or Novack if not please no sharon stone Sela is w/csi my other thought was Lynda Carter Then I thought of Kim Catrell please NOT Cyntha Nixon. I would miss Wong but I liked Jeremy. Please keep the rest of the cast i hope they have all been noticed by whoever decides emmy awards THEY ALL DESERVE ONE

10. Kris says:

Now bring back Novak!

11. Jackson says:

I hope they cancel SVU, CI, LOLA, and UK! So Dick Wolf can go out!

• Esaul says:

Sounds like someone’s jealous?

• Aimee says:

I’ll be honest I’m fine with the current Law & Order’s (even LOLA, despite NBC being jack-holes and cancelling the mothership).

I just wish that Wolf and the writers would spice up the stories. And speaking for SVU, drop the pretexts for an E/O or A/O pairing because it is stupid for a TV drama in the style/genre of SVU. Leave that crap to the fan-fiction/fantasy writers.

SVU will go a LONG way w/o pairings of the main characters. I’d like to see Cap (Jeremy Irons) and Liv pair – or a least go out on a date.

• Esaul says:

My hope with the new show runner, that will end the whole E/O thing. Mariska has stated in the past that there would never be an E/O thing at all. That’s something started by Neal. The franchise has done so well without delving into the personal lives of the character. It was always about the storytelling over the characters, which made it one of the best dramas on tv. I’m hoping that Irons will come back for an episode or two, but I will greatly miss B.D. Wong if he leaves. They better not kill him off.

• Jackson says:

Baer has already said that Sister Peg comes back… he didn’t say why. I smell ANOTHER ‘Law & Order’ death and it pisses me off. That’s why I want SVU, CI, and LOLA/UK canceled. Because Wolf is always gonna cater to a certain fan group: SVU > E/O, CI > Goren’s personal life, LOLA > Terrence Howard’s Dekker, UK > Ben Daniels at first.

• Esaul says:

E/O wasn’t done by Wolf himself though. He’s the one who started the whole thing about the shows being about stories over the characters. Baer was the one who did that, not Wolf. CI is on its final season, it would’ve been cancelled if it weren’t for USA and VDO’s decision to come back as a favor to Wolf. LOLA has only gone into Winter’s life too, if you’ve been watching the show at all. And since he’s being killed, that kinda sorta does solve the problem right there, don’t it?

• Jackson says:

Well I might just have to watch that new LOLA tonight then.

• angela dawn says:

jealous yep it sounds that way to me too

• Macky says:

Your a idiot, a big one.

12. Jared says:

I’m anxious to see where SVU will be headed with a new showrunner. I feel very optimistic about this decision.

13. SVU Luver says:

What they NEED to do is add Melissa Sagemiller to the cast and she continues portraying A.D.A. Gillian Hardwicke; nothing wrong with her on SVU at all. Let’s keep the past in the past, sure S. Mach and D. Neal can comeback for guest appearances but they’ve had their shots and now it’s done for them as full time. Let’s bring in someone new. This is the first (actually second) A.D.A. on SVU who HASN’T tried to be either Cabot or Novak! Other than Christine Lahti who portrayed E.A.D.A. Sonya Paxton (who died to give EO shippers some satisfaction from Neal Baer, Warren Leight better not have Twitter).

• Esaul says:

Meh. I wouldn’t mind her coming on for guest appearances than joining the cast permanently. I’d rather have March or Neal back. Just something about them I love. xD

14. deedeedragons says:

Can we please more Munch? even if he just stands around and makes a couple of jokes.

15. Kezia says:

Wow. Yes! Finally. Season 13 I’m praying will be the season Elliot realizes he loves Olivia and divorces his “wife”…

16. Guy says:

This show is fantastic and so glad that it will be coming back.

17. Katherine says:

This is not good news to me. I have been watching since season one. I am getting off the boat before it sinks. The story lines have been getting so lame and unL&O. What makes people think a new producer will fix that?

18. MalloryLovesSVU says: