Scoop: NBC Taps New Law & Order: SVU Boss

Get More: News, Renewals, Scoop

In the strongest indication yet that Law & Order: SVU will see a 13th year, I’m hearing NBC is finalizing a deal with Lights Out exec producer Warren Leight to succeed longtime boss Neal Baer as showrunner next season.

Although NBC has yet to formally renew the veteran procedural, Leight’s hiring suggests the Peacock is feeling very optimistic about the outcome of contract talks with series leads Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay. In fact, insiders tell me that a deal could be inked by week’s end.

Leight is hardly new to the L&O franchise. Prior FX’s Lights Out, he served five years as an exec producer on Law & Order: Criminal Intent. He also spent a season at the helm of HBO’s In Treatment.

In November, Baer — who has been calling the shots at SVU for more than a decade — inked a three-year overall deal with CBS.

Comments (41)

• Best news ever.

Comment by Esaul – April 11, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC should just cancel this and get Lights Out, they need a quality show after Friday Night Lights ends.

Comment by sosad – April 11, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why would they cancel one of their best scripted dramas for a show that was cancelled by another show that wasn’t getting the ratings/viewership on there? Sounds VERY illogical to me.

Comment by Esaul – April 11, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How about they dont cancel it, k sounds good to me, idiot.

Comment by Macky – April 11, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I cannot believe you would not renew Christopher meloni’s contract. AsI have watched this series since it began. I think NBC will be sorry. I sure will hope that the people of NBC change their minds. This is one show everyone I know watches. I don;t know if I will watch it anymore. The star you hired is a joke and putting a woman w/Liv is stupid.Thats it. Marian

Comment by marian hilton – December 7, 2011 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leight’s good. A no-nosense show runner. He won’t listen to the E/O fans and he’ll tell stories like they are and how they are meant to be told! “Law & Order: LA” premieres TONIGHT at 9pm/8c on NBC!

Comment by Becky – April 11, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dick Wolf, is that you?

Comment by Michael – April 11, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LMAO!

Comment by Tom – April 11, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love.

Man I wish there was a like button.

Comment by alex – April 11, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes me happy lol. SVU can never end…well at least not yet :D

Comment by Nikki – April 11, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey YEAH! I heard that SVU might get renewed for two seasons – season 13 and 14 – if that’s the case; SVU is good. It’s all on Chris and Mariska. I heard B.D. Wong might go pilot, time for Jeremy Irons. And Melissa Sagemiller

Comment by Charlene – April 11, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just love, LOVE the idea of Jeremy Irons becoming the SVU local psychiatrist, but would he have time to do it with filming The Borgias?

Comment by Amber – April 11, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I doubt he’d be able to do that, with contractual issues, let alone how much it’d cost for someone like Irons to be on more permanently.

Comment by Esaul – April 11, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gode, I love SVU!.

But, I live in Denmark and don’t have the proper channels, So I’m still Digging into Season 2.

Only two more episodes to go, Though.

Comment by S.V.U. – April 11, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank god. Now bring back Novak.

Comment by Clarissa – April 11, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for Warren, I hope he has fun. And I hope that ‘House M.D.’ moves to NBC and takes NBC Wednesdays at 10! I want ‘SVU’ moved back to Tuesdays at 10! I barely catch it on Weds.
    Bring back Jeremy Irons! I WISH ‘SVU’ was renewed for two seasons!

Comment by I hope – April 11, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is really great news, I really thought this season would be their last. Now they could make my dreams come true if they brought on Jeremy Irons full-time as the psychiatrist, and Stephanie March as A.D.A. Cabot.

Comment by Amber – April 11, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love BD Wong – would hate to see him go, although Jeremy Irons was wonderful. Getting Stephanie March back as Cabot would be awesome. If they could just figure out a way to bring the mothership back – even on USA network – that would be perfect or somehow use SVU as a way to continue to use some of the characters we miss once in a while. One can only hope.

Comment by Linderella49 – April 11, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve got one, just bring Jeremy Sisto to SVU and replace Stabler or a late replacement for Adam Beach’s Det. Lake. – Could work if the writers do it right.

Comment by Nikki (not Finke) – April 11, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you CRAZY ? Stabler, no one could take his place he is the MAN. I love the whole cast . bring back Cabot or Novack if not please no sharon stone Sela is w/csi my other thought was Lynda Carter Then I thought of Kim Catrell please NOT Cyntha Nixon. I would miss Wong but I liked Jeremy. Please keep the rest of the cast i hope they have all been noticed by whoever decides emmy awards THEY ALL DESERVE ONE

Comment by angela dawn – April 26, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now bring back Novak!

Comment by Kris – April 11, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they cancel SVU, CI, LOLA, and UK! So Dick Wolf can go out!

Comment by Jackson – April 11, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sounds like someone’s jealous?

Comment by Esaul – April 11, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’ll be honest I’m fine with the current Law & Order’s (even LOLA, despite NBC being jack-holes and cancelling the mothership).

I just wish that Wolf and the writers would spice up the stories. And speaking for SVU, drop the pretexts for an E/O or A/O pairing because it is stupid for a TV drama in the style/genre of SVU. Leave that crap to the fan-fiction/fantasy writers.

SVU will go a LONG way w/o pairings of the main characters. I’d like to see Cap (Jeremy Irons) and Liv pair – or a least go out on a date.

Comment by Aimee – April 11, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My hope with the new show runner, that will end the whole E/O thing. Mariska has stated in the past that there would never be an E/O thing at all. That’s something started by Neal. The franchise has done so well without delving into the personal lives of the character. It was always about the storytelling over the characters, which made it one of the best dramas on tv. I’m hoping that Irons will come back for an episode or two, but I will greatly miss B.D. Wong if he leaves. They better not kill him off.

Comment by Esaul – April 11, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Baer has already said that Sister Peg comes back… he didn’t say why. I smell ANOTHER ‘Law & Order’ death and it pisses me off. That’s why I want SVU, CI, and LOLA/UK canceled. Because Wolf is always gonna cater to a certain fan group: SVU > E/O, CI > Goren’s personal life, LOLA > Terrence Howard’s Dekker, UK > Ben Daniels at first.

Comment by Jackson – April 11, 2011 01:48 PM PDT
          • E/O wasn’t done by Wolf himself though. He’s the one who started the whole thing about the shows being about stories over the characters. Baer was the one who did that, not Wolf. CI is on its final season, it would’ve been cancelled if it weren’t for USA and VDO’s decision to come back as a favor to Wolf. LOLA has only gone into Winter’s life too, if you’ve been watching the show at all. And since he’s being killed, that kinda sorta does solve the problem right there, don’t it?

Comment by Esaul – April 11, 2011 01:53 PM PDT
          • Well I might just have to watch that new LOLA tonight then.

Comment by Jackson – April 11, 2011 02:00 PM PDT
      • jealous yep it sounds that way to me too

Comment by angela dawn – April 26, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your a idiot, a big one.

Comment by Macky – April 11, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Y do you have to call people names? Grow up!! It is a TV Show and others can have their own option.

Comment by T – April 12, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m anxious to see where SVU will be headed with a new showrunner. I feel very optimistic about this decision.

Comment by Jared – April 11, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What they NEED to do is add Melissa Sagemiller to the cast and she continues portraying A.D.A. Gillian Hardwicke; nothing wrong with her on SVU at all. Let’s keep the past in the past, sure S. Mach and D. Neal can comeback for guest appearances but they’ve had their shots and now it’s done for them as full time. Let’s bring in someone new. This is the first (actually second) A.D.A. on SVU who HASN’T tried to be either Cabot or Novak! Other than Christine Lahti who portrayed E.A.D.A. Sonya Paxton (who died to give EO shippers some satisfaction from Neal Baer, Warren Leight better not have Twitter).

Comment by SVU Luver – April 11, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Meh. I wouldn’t mind her coming on for guest appearances than joining the cast permanently. I’d rather have March or Neal back. Just something about them I love. xD

Comment by Esaul – April 11, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we please more Munch? even if he just stands around and makes a couple of jokes.

Comment by deedeedragons – April 11, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Yes! Finally. Season 13 I’m praying will be the season Elliot realizes he loves Olivia and divorces his “wife”…

Comment by Kezia – April 11, 2011 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please do grown up. This is not a soap. How about you stick with Days of Our Lives.

Comment by T – April 12, 2011 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is fantastic and so glad that it will be coming back.

Comment by Guy – April 11, 2011 11:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is not good news to me. I have been watching since season one. I am getting off the boat before it sinks. The story lines have been getting so lame and unL&O. What makes people think a new producer will fix that?

Comment by Katherine – April 13, 2011 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post