Gossip Girl Spoiler Alert: Showrunners Reveal Plan for a 'Juicy and Fun' Two-Part Finale

The CW’s Gossip Girl resumes its fourth season on Monday, April 18, with the first of five all-new episodes, and whether you’re Team Chair, Dair, or Who Cares?!, showrunners Stephanie Savage and Josh Safran tell TVLine that fans will not want to miss how the cycle ends.

The CW Announces May Finale Dates

“Last year’s finale was a little bit darker,” admits Savage, “and this one is more juicy and fun.” Adds Safran, “Every finale is a game-changer, but this one really is spinning everyone off in new ways that will be apparent as you watch it.”

Yet while Safran promises, “The road map for all of the characters will be very clear” as the yet-to-be-renewed drama wraps Season 4, “That’s not to say there won’t multiple cliffhangers.”

Throughout the first two of this season’s final five episodes, the journey for Blair Waldorf (played by Leighton Meester) is among those that gets crystalized. The Upper East Side princess will find herself in the predicament of a lifetime, torn between her “friendship” with Dan (Penn Badgley), her undying love for Chuck (Ed Westwick), and her prospective fairy tale ending with Prince Louis (Hugo Becker).

“That story keeps building right up until the finale episode,” says Savage, revealing that “the last two episodes [of the season] are actually a two-parter that all takes place during the course of one night.”

While Blair is juggling men (and perhaps multiple proposals!) in New York, Serena (Blake Lively) finds herself on the West Coast with the handsome Ethan Peck (10 Things I Hate About You). “Every year we try to do something big, like last year when we sent the girls to Paris,” explains Safran. “So, this is just a fun change in location for Serena.”

The Gossip EP is tight-lipped when it comes to details on Peck’s role, but does say that contrary to rumors, “I wouldn’t call [his appearance] an arc. He’s in the season finale, and he’s great.”

Chuck Bass, on the other hand, is not so great, especially after launching an investigation into his late father’s role in the alleged death of Raina’s (Tika Sumpter) mother. “It is always darkest before the dawn,” Safran teases. “And Chuck, he gets very, very dark.”

Are you eager to see which guy Blair chooses? Hopeful Chuck will find some happiness? Sound off below, and don’t miss Gossip Girl‘s return on Monday, April 18 at 8/7c.

Comments (160)

• Chuck and Blair forever and ever!

Comment by Maggi – April 12, 2011 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think a Dan/Blair/Chuck triangle is entertaining enough itself, and that the Prince isn’t really necessary. I hope that plot is short lived. Blair obviously doesn’t have feelings for the Prince, she more so care about his status than him as a person, and it would be unfair to him for her to be with him just because he is a Prince. I think she has genuine feelings for Dan and Chuck. Personally, I am bored with Chair and have been since last season. I used to be a huge Chair fan, but I think that they have run their course. I think that Dan and Blair have been the best thing about this season, and I want them to end up together for good by season’s end. I am not sure if this will happen, but it’s what I want. They have become one of my most favorite TV couples and have such great chemistry.

Comment by Roxie – April 12, 2011 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dair,

Dair,

DAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by k – April 12, 2011 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM DAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAN IS THE REAL PRINCE FOR BLAIR!!! THEY BUILT AN AMAZING STORYLINE FOR THOSE TWO, SO I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT THEY DID ALL THAT FOR NOTHING!!!

They advertise their first kiss as the kiss that was on the making for four seasons, so FATE MUST HAVE INDEED CHANGED!! DAIR FOR ENDGAME!!

Seriously, if it wasn’t for Dair, I wouldn’t be watching GG at this point!! I had given up on it, after the end of season 2 and it was only when I learnt about the DAN/BLAIR AWESOMENESS of this season that I started watching again!!

Comment by Mary – April 12, 2011 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always seem to back the wrong horse in these triangles– in this case, Dan. Seems like the writers are returning to the Chuck and Blair narrative. Kind of an annoying change in direction after they made me (and others) care about Blair and Dan. What a fake out.

Comment by AlyssaG – April 12, 2011 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck and Blair has to reunite asap.He is the love of her life.But I loved how JS says that ‘its always darker before the down and Chuck gets very very dark’.seems like at the end there is a light for Chuck.I hope it brings back Blair to him.I want this very very much.Chuck and Blair are the heart and soul of the show.

Comment by mischa – April 12, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHAIR FOREVER.
    D/B is pathetic.

Comment by C – April 12, 2011 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how everyone doesn’t take Dan the pauper seriously. If the pauper is in the story, he’ll get the girl. Why make Dan a pauper? Blair and Dan are only friends, right? Oh wait…

Comment by TK – April 12, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t take Dan the Pauper seriously because he ISN’T one. His dad married into one of the richest families in NYC. He’s dated movie stars and celebutantes. He’s got literally everything going for him: a bunch of girls in love with him, a family that cares about his well-being, money that isn’t his own, and even career prospects as a writer. Why should he get THIS girl, too, when he’s already had his best friend and dream girl in love with him this same season?

Comment by Georgie – April 12, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for the finale! It’s looks so intense. So much fireworks and passion come from Chuck and Blair! I love it! Bring it on! The show is a shadow of itself when they’re not interacting.

Comment by Sandra – April 12, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks a million for the Chair news! Finally I will be able to watch, and be interested and happy. Chair FTW! The show’s OTP.

Comment by Elena – April 12, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! TemDarkKnight!

Comment by Leigh – April 12, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel that this finale will be epic for my beloved Chair in a good way <3 they belong together like two parts of one unit <3

Comment by SMILA – April 12, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dair all the way.. used to love Chair but now they bore me and are bad for each other…

You know they will have it as Dair… in the end.

Comment by Sarah – April 12, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoping for Dan and Blair out come eventually since I have been waiting for it for 4 seasons but watch Blair choose no one haha

Comment by Sarah – April 12, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would we be anxious for Chuck of all people to find happiness? Of all the characters, he least deserves a happy ending!

I’m really sad that the finale promotion has been so Chair-centric. I’ve been off that train for a long time, and the show is ALL about Dan/Blair for me right now. I feel like the producers are stuck in the past in these interviews.

Comment by caitie – April 12, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love me some Chair! TeamDarkKnight all the way!

Comment by Leigh – April 12, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so love the promo and Chuck and Blair!

Comment by crista – April 12, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That trailer was the BOMB and this interview was great too because I love Chuck and Blair. They are true love and an epic romance that far eclipses any other pairing on this show. Team Chair!

Comment by Jenna – April 12, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am 100% Team Dark Knight because, damn, he’s Chuck Bass and the Queen belongs with a King, not a lowly pauper who is so utterly boring. Chuck and Blair OTP!

Comment by Morgan – April 12, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Says right in the article about “Blair’s UNDYING LOVE for Chuck”!! Add to that fact that CHAIR is GG’s main love story & 4 YEARS and counting of winding road for CB’s EPIC love story…It is SO going to be CHAIR 4 LIFE!!!

Comment by CHAIRFANATIC – April 12, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s CHAIR All The Way!!! I suggest people accept it & MOVE ON!! CB=DESTINY!!

Comment by GossipGuy – April 12, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m ALL about the Chuck-Blair awesomeness!!! The show has been unwatchable since mid-season–SUPER OOC & really bleak w/o C&B. Sounds like GG’s lifeforce is coming back BIG TIME: CHAIR is the key!! They are the show’s heart & soul. Not to mention, its rooting value. Here’s to CB DESTINED LOVE & GG being worth investing in again…C&B=DESTINY=ENDGAME!!!

Comment by CnBLover – April 12, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Chair all the way. After everything they’ve been put through, I just want to see them get their happy ending eventually. I know there’s still a long way to go for that, though, sadly…

Comment by Georgie – April 12, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck and Blair have been it for me since season 1…just like Brooke and Lucas from OTH, which i knew would never work cause Mark Schwan and Chad Michael Murray are assholes… anyways Chuck and Blair are the show so without them there would be no reason to watch…

Comment by Katelyn – April 12, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team DARK KNIGHT!!!! And thank God all this ridiculous DB pimping finally stopped! Chair is the real story here, always have always will!

Comment by Eves – April 12, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve missed my awesome CHAIR!

Comment by Olia – April 12, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chair FTW! Period.

Comment by esp – April 12, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, Savage is out for some damage control again. What else is new? Enough with the boredom of Dair. It’s time for GG to speed up its game and give us back Chair soon.

Comment by chrisleo – April 12, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blair has to choose Chuck! #teamdarkknight all the way.

Oddly excited about Dark!Chuck. Ed Westwick does angst like no-one else.

Comment by Helen – April 12, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck is a horrible human being. He deserves to be bitch slapped. Its funny how easy people forgive him for attempted rape on Jenny season 1.

Dan & Blair for the win!

Comment by Maria – April 12, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t forget he tried to sexually assault Serena in the pilot as well. What a super-awesome nice guy! *rolls eyes*

Comment by Olivia – April 12, 2011 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM CHAIR FOREVER !

Comment by findmeonbass – April 13, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping that they will go with Dan and Blair. I think they have an interesting dynamic and I would like to see them explore it more. I also wish they would give Nate an actual storyline. It seems like they haven’t done much of anything with him this season.

Comment by Amanda – April 13, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM DARK KNIGHT and TEAM CHAIR

Comment by Maggi – April 14, 2011 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck probably Isn’t the most perfect man for Blair… But they sure are pretty darn hot together.

Comment by Brooke Styles – April 18, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post