Gossip Girl Spoiler Alert: Showrunners Reveal Plan for a 'Juicy and Fun' Two-Part Finale

The CW’s Gossip Girl resumes its fourth season on Monday, April 18, with the first of five all-new episodes, and whether you’re Team Chair, Dair, or Who Cares?!, showrunners Stephanie Savage and Josh Safran tell TVLine that fans will not want to miss how the cycle ends.

The CW Announces May Finale Dates

“Last year’s finale was a little bit darker,” admits Savage, “and this one is more juicy and fun.” Adds Safran, “Every finale is a game-changer, but this one really is spinning everyone off in new ways that will be apparent as you watch it.”

Yet while Safran promises, “The road map for all of the characters will be very clear” as the yet-to-be-renewed drama wraps Season 4, “That’s not to say there won’t multiple cliffhangers.”

Throughout the first two of this season’s final five episodes, the journey for Blair Waldorf (played by Leighton Meester) is among those that gets crystalized. The Upper East Side princess will find herself in the predicament of a lifetime, torn between her “friendship” with Dan (Penn Badgley), her undying love for Chuck (Ed Westwick), and her prospective fairy tale ending with Prince Louis (Hugo Becker).

“That story keeps building right up until the finale episode,” says Savage, revealing that “the last two episodes [of the season] are actually a two-parter that all takes place during the course of one night.”

While Blair is juggling men (and perhaps multiple proposals!) in New York, Serena (Blake Lively) finds herself on the West Coast with the handsome Ethan Peck (10 Things I Hate About You). “Every year we try to do something big, like last year when we sent the girls to Paris,” explains Safran. “So, this is just a fun change in location for Serena.”

The Gossip EP is tight-lipped when it comes to details on Peck’s role, but does say that contrary to rumors, “I wouldn’t call [his appearance] an arc. He’s in the season finale, and he’s great.”

Chuck Bass, on the other hand, is not so great, especially after launching an investigation into his late father’s role in the alleged death of Raina’s (Tika Sumpter) mother. “It is always darkest before the dawn,” Safran teases. “And Chuck, he gets very, very dark.”

Are you eager to see which guy Blair chooses? Hopeful Chuck will find some happiness? Sound off below, and don’t miss Gossip Girl‘s return on Monday, April 18 at 8/7c.

Comments (160)

• No CHAIR for me please, id rather stand up for DAIRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Comment by Lena – April 11, 2011 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chair are the endgame I’d like but Chuck needs some work asap, still pulling for the Basstard though! ;)

Comment by Jenna – April 11, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for this interview.

I haven’t been enjoying the show much lately but I am really looking forward to the finale now after seeing THAT PROMO!!!!!! Wow that was awesome….like a film trailer! Ed and Leighton just Bring the intensity! And the writer really look like they have picked up their game so I cant wait.

I like the comment about it being the dark before the dawn. I know Chuck has made some big mistakes but I feel like growth is on the way for him and he will become a stronger person who wont keep making mistakes like selling out Blair. Im really looking forward to seeing that Chuck in season 5.

Comment by CBgirl – April 11, 2011 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • do not like dair. chair is otp

Comment by nooneknows – April 11, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes, yes, yes!

Comment by Burninlove – April 11, 2011 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team DAIR all the way!!! Chair just became so boring and I cannot stand the way Chuck treated Blair. Dan and Blair are adorable and they bring out the best in one another.

But I am so afraid the producters are going back to Chair….

I LOVE DAIR!!!!

Comment by Regina – April 11, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the writers have always been writing for Chuck and Blair and Dair is nothing but a sideshow. this interview indicates that and since I love CB I am so happy about that it’s not funny. The promo rocked too!

Comment by MSC – April 11, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • like chair, not dair

Comment by nooneknows – April 11, 2011 04:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM CHAIR! Had to shout that ’cause I love them!

Comment by carrie – April 11, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I quit watching because of dair so now, maybe I can come back. Unless I get something great with Chuck and Blair season five is a no go. I’m sick of being jerked around by show runners on this show.

Comment by Crista – April 11, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Crista – April 11, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t give up yet! I know we’ll get CB as endgame!!!

Comment by Burninlove – April 11, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Brenna – April 11, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Always rooting for Chuck ans Blair. Most epic couple on tv! Hottest too! :) :)

Comment by CBFAN – April 11, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAIR. My money is on Brooklyn for the win!

Comment by DAIR – April 11, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah, so relieved Chuck and Blair are going to be back and that promo just tells me they are the number one couple on this show now and forever. I so love this interview and Go GG for listening to the best and largest fanbase !

Comment by Burninlove – April 11, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAIR

I used to be a CHAIR fan but after this season, DAN AND BLAIR ARE ON FIRE! I haven’t looked this forward to GG since season 1!

Comment by Kiara – April 11, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dan/Blair are so wonderful. I am praying the finale is amazing for them.

Comment by Courtney – April 11, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE DAN AND BLAIR.

Please don’t sacrifice them at the altar of The Dark Knight.

Comment by Katie – April 11, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAIR DAIR DAIR DAIR
    Althoug I believe it’s not going to happen -_-

Comment by Bonbona – April 11, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s think about this logically:
    The Prince: guest star, he’s not much to worry about at all.

Chuck: has been played out for 4 seasons long, C/B has happened many, many times. How is that even remotely exciting?

Dan: Started out hating Blair, but over the last few episodes has begun a friendship with her that is highly publicised and they’ve never been in a relationship. The last episode ended on a cliffhanger where they’ve kissed.

It’s gotta be Dan she chooses, when you think about it. Why build up his and Blair’s relationship just to go, “Oh nah, let’s get her back together with Chuck for the 4 billionth time”. There’s no way they aren’t going there with Dair, and I for one am extremely excited about the prospect. Keep the faith, Dair shippers!

Comment by Olivia – April 11, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chair!!!! I really hope they’re heading to a HEA if not this season, then in S5!

Comment by amanda – April 11, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAIR TO DREAM!

TEAM DAIR!

Comment by Summer – April 11, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg I am I long fan of the show an I love DAIR Totally TEAM DAIR

Comment by Deangelo – April 11, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Serena can stay in CA.

Comment by deedeedragons – April 11, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No contest! TEAM CHAIR!

Comment by Wendy – April 11, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could Serena in California have something to do with her Grandparents, remember the Valley Girls episode?

Comment by deedeedragons – April 11, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck and Blair all the way! Blair will be his light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment by Carly – April 11, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s part of my problem with Chuck and Blair. People always say (and I was one of them) that Blair is the light to Chuck’s darkness.

Why is it always about Chuck? Don’t you think Blair could be in a dark place and she herself needs that guiding light?

That’s why, personally, their relationship was always suffering. All Blair did was give, and all Chuck did was take.

No self respecting woman would take that. What a terrible message to girls, who well, eat it up.

It’s romanticizing, well that unhealthy relationship.

Comment by Stephanie – April 11, 2011 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • blair maybe chucks “light” but all chuck does for blair is bring out the worst in her. she may be good for him be hes not good for her. and you cant build a healthy relationship on that. girls are so misguided by this crap.

Comment by lola – April 11, 2011 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If these writers continue to push Chair, I am done.
    It is a terrible, abusive, amd mutually destructive relationship. The writers are absolutely at fault. They chose a particular storyline and now they have the opportunity to acknowledge it and let fans know that some things can’t be mended.

But bringing back ‘Chair’ is telling young girls that it’s ok to forgive a guy for literally prost.ituting them, bringing them down, and so on.

It’s a relationship built on lust and passion. Not love. Love is not what Chuck and Blair is.
    It’s all smoke and mirrors. They look good together, so let’s put them together! Where’s the substance?
    All I see is torture- artificial at best.
    Let Blair move on. Let Chuck move on and work on himself. Let fans know that some things are not ok, but maybe something good can come out of it (perhaps that good thing is Dan and Blair)

Is that to say Dair is true love? No.
    But they have potential, and I would be extremely happy with a Pacey-Joey-like game changer.

Chuck deserves redemption, but pairing him up with Blair sends the wrong message. And it will show what type of writers these people are- those who just want to put on a flashy, superficial show, or the ones that care deeply for each character and want each one to choose the proper path in the end. And sometimes, most times, it means moving on and growing up.

Comment by Stephanie – April 11, 2011 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like this comment. Well said.

Comment by Alice – April 11, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AMEN. i could not have said it better myself. the writers ruined chair and there really is no going back. what kind of message would they be sending to viewers if they kept forcing this relationship? its soo tired. and i also amen to the whole notion of chair being a superficial relationship. two people are meant to be together because theyre both rich and manipulative. the writers really need to figure what they value more, selling out and giving into the superficial hype or trully creating a story full of substance for characters they really are invested in. realistically dair seems to have all the potential, and i agree theyve got HUGE pacey-joey game changing vibes to them.

Comment by Lola – April 11, 2011 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preach, sister. You are absolutely right. Chair was just an abusive relationship. And I was surprised that Blair being a woman of 20th century was with him for so long. And Dair has potential. I love Dair.
      And you know what? Iwould rather see Blair with Louis that with Chuck.

Comment by Josephine – April 11, 2011 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM DAIR!!!

Comment by Elsa – April 11, 2011 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM CHAIR ALL THE WAY!!!! We ALL know that CB is DESTINY!!!

Comment by Leigh – April 11, 2011 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s CHAIR 4 LIFE!!! Let get serious here. Chuck&Blair are OTP & ENDGAME–always have been & will be. There are bringing back the CHAIR EPICNESS in a BIG WAY!!!

Comment by Mary – April 11, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The article could not be clearer: All roads lead to Chuck&Blair. That’s the way it has been & will remain. C&B are the alpha pair & the new promos along with other interviews & spoilers only continue to drive home “CHAIR IS ENDGAME”!! Time to face facts, folks: CB=DESTINY=ENDGAME!!!

Comment by Jeremy – April 11, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CB EPICNESS!!!! Finally, a reason to watch again. Cannot wait to see CHAIR back on track & back together–where they belong!!! CB is KISMET!!! The ONLY game is C&B ENDGAME!!!

Comment by LH – April 11, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHAIR=DESTINY=ENDGAME!!! That’s the be all & end all…Bank on it! Chuck&Blair are the show & the ONLY reason people watch. It’s very clear they are the show’s & the fans’ endgame pairing!

Comment by GGfan35 – April 11, 2011 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chuck&Blair are the show & the ONLY reason people watch.

Except for, you know, all the people that watch for Dan/Blair and hope Chuck/Blair isn’t endgame.

Comment by Alice – April 11, 2011 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blair should choose Dan (or the prince). Really, anyone but Chuck is great. Chuck is a horrible human being who has done nothing but abuse Blair and their relationship was so manipulative and destructive. She deserves some happiness with someone who isn’t about to sell her off to his rapist uncle for a hotel. And no, Chuck should not find happiness. After all he’s done, he doesn’t deserve it. You reap what you sow.

Comment by Alice – April 11, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK AND BLAIR!
    He is not the bad ass a lot of people wants to see, he is only a mirror from the life he has been living, he’s a boy, a scare boy. And it’s attractive, interesting, smart, hot, tender and so devoted to Blair when they were couple… even when he exchanged Blair to Jack in order to bring Hotel Empire back, he did because he tought Blair would stay with him as she told him before: i’ll stand by you through anything, the darkest thought… whatever!
    I don’t care about past, Chuck is amazing so Blair is too.
    They are perfect together!
    Dan is boring, not even handsome to me. He does not deserve Blair.

CHAIR FOREVER!

Comment by gossip girl fan – April 11, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re attracted to scared boys? Hmm, I don’t know what that says about you.

And Dan doesn’t “deserve” Blair, but the guy who sold her for a hotel does? Right. Nothing says true love like “Hey Uncle, have sex with my so-called soulmate in exchange for property”.

Comment by Olivia – April 12, 2011 02:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dan and Blair look like siblings and have a brother/sister vibe for me. They have zero romantic chemistry. CB all the way.

Comment by Ashley – April 11, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just in: Dan & Blair nomance is over! I am super ecstatic.

Comment by Audrey – April 11, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Count me as another one in the Dair corner! And I never imagined I’d be here. I’ve ALWAYS been Team Chair – without a DOUBT. But man. I love the chemistry between Dan and Blair. They make perfect sense!

Comment by Saracen Riggins – April 11, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Her undying love for Chuck” YES! Can’t wait for more Chuck and Blair scenes. I’ve missed them so much. I am SOOO Team Chair!!!

Nervous about Chuck going dark again but excited that there’s some light at the end of the tunnel! :D

Comment by Lisa – April 11, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAIR! DAIR! DAIR! DAIR! That is all

Comment by Dina – April 11, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAIR DAIR DAIR DAIR!!!!
    seriously though, please give us lots of dair love
    DAIR FTW!!!! please GG writer don’t mess it up, the last few episode (the few with dair in it) had been really fun, it made me wait every monday just to watch dan/blair exciting interaction.

Comment by philly – April 11, 2011 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Goodness I love Ethan Peck’s voice, its wonderfully deep.

Comment by Mick – April 11, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck and Blair for another memorable finale. Our time has come Chair fans, and we’ve waited long enough. ♥♥♥

Comment by Nat – April 11, 2011 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if the chair storyline continues Blair might die or something… Lol I don’t know chuck might trade her as a slave… I trust Blairs character to not choose the guy who whored her off,slept with her enemy a second after the proposal and then ignored her to hookup (and declare his love) to anything that moves. The only guy that has made Blair happy from something that is not a scheme is Dan. Dair FTW

Comment by O – April 11, 2011 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So Funny!! And so true!!!

Comment by Spuriya – April 11, 2011 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if the writers have any brains at all theyll make DAIR happen. in the build up of 5 episodes dan & blairs relationship has managed to win the hearts of half the fanbase. theyre the most clever and refreshing thing to happen to the show since season 1. yea chair was exciting back in the first season but theyve fizzled out, i just dont get their whole “epic” love story anymore. its soo TOXIC. like the whole thrill of the chase was a fun relationship while in high school but its time to grow up and start something new, hense DAIR. it would be such an ASSHOLE move by the writers to just turn DAN into a catalyst for chair, if blair goes running back to chuck shell be the lame desperate girl she was in season 3. DAIR deserves a fighting chance, they cant end before they even start! the best love stories stem from great friendships!

Comment by Lola – April 11, 2011 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Dair is winning, duh.

I really am tired of Chuck Blair drama. It is too weird. Dair is like a breath of fresh air.

Comment by Raksha – April 11, 2011 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAIR DAIR DAIR DAIR!!

Chair makes me want to hurl.

Comment by Ana – April 11, 2011 11:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for CB news!!!!

TEAM DARK KNIGHT!!!! :D So exited for CB…They’ll find their way back to each other I’m sure (I have hope for S5!!!) :D

Comment by ds – April 12, 2011 01:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only returned to the show because of Dan and Blair. So if it’s Chair they keep trying to shove down our throats every season and keep pretending Chuck wasn’t a pimp or a kissing bandit rapist, well, then good bye, good luck and good riddance.

Comment by Meg – April 12, 2011 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TeamDarkNight! Love that although we had to sit through a load of BS the story is STILL Chuck and Blair.

Comment by Jess – April 12, 2011 02:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although it is obvious that Chuck and Blair will eventually end up together if not kill each other first, I do believe that Blair needs to have this romance with Dan at least for a little while in order for them to bond their friendship. I also think that Chuck and Dan need to have some kind of bonding moment though I doubt either will go gay for each other. Haha. Though that would be interesting to see. xD

Comment by Jess – April 12, 2011 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post